forum

Ultimate guide to low-latency osu! on Linux (rev.12)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

snowbliss wrote:

you messed up a lot of the links when you edited the post to newest revision

they turned out like this . . " https://github.com/Francesco149/loli-ov ... sound.conf "

" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad " --> ur alsa arch wiki link lol

newcomers might be confused

uhh I think that's the new forums' fault, I'm pretty sure I pasted the links correctly lol will try to fix

EDIT: fixed them, thanks for the info

snowbliss wrote:

wine staging is updated for wine 3.5 / 3.6 now

staging might improve quality of gameplay as it offers improvements for "realtime" and "I/O heavy" games/apps

good to know! but staging never affected performance on osu for me and I think arch is the only one that has up to date wine staging so i decided to leave it out

EDIT: guess I'll add that staging is fine too if desired

[Vanilla Coke] wrote:

hello there. i have got arch linux. i was about to throw this away because no internet connection on wine. but now i figured how to fix that. write "sudo pacman -S lib32-gnutls" and i guess your issue will be fixed.

ah, I thought arch had fixed this by now, guess I'll readd this to the guide, thanks for testing

[Vanilla Coke] wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/10759611 do you think i can do anything with this?

specs: HP ProBook 450 G1 (arch linux + KDE)
processor : i5-4200M @ 2.50 ghz
graphics: intergrated
ram: 3.7gb
thats all sadly.

i have got better performance on win.

if you already tried everything on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics I recommend trying a barebones window manager like jwm ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JWM ) or a lightweight DE with no fancy effects like lxde

KDE plasma is gpu accelerated and might be eating fps

if that still doesn't help, most likely the intel drivers aren't quite as good for your gpu :[ you can also try installing a cutting edge kernel and mesa for newer drivers but from what i can see the stock arch packages for those are already quite cutting-edge
XHPLAYER[_]
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

snowbliss wrote:

after a bunch of testing wine 1.8.3 still seems to offer far superior audio latency with winetricks sound=alsa flag

idk how to change winealsa.drv on newer versions of wine, i'm guessing that's the problem ? ?
well, we had a bug report on wine's tracker about it and never managed to figure it out even though I remember bisecting commits and finding exactly which commits broke it

idk, maybe it's cause I'm on pure alsa now but 3.5 latency feels the same as what I had back when I was on 1.8.3 and pulseaudio
XHPLAYER[_]
XHPLAYER[_]
Ryu Sei
Just came back from eternal slumber. Wine 3.0.1 seems to have neat and good compatibility though.

Ubuntu 18.04 with Artful build of Wine. Running it with generic kernel gives me usual latency and lag, while with low-latency kernel gives me better gameplay but... crappy sound (especially when it comes to hit sounds).
AmakawaKen
Hi,
I have question about the dsound regedit setup, I'm lost on how it suppose to be set up exactly in wine regedit. I've done everything else and it all works except for the audio latency issue. I'm using Manjaro kernal 4.14.

Any help will be appreciated.
Forefront
regedit: No such file or directory

regedit: Unable to open the file 'dsound.reg'.

I guess you can manually use regedit to add i
ExploXd
I'm using i3wm and I cant open .osk files. I tried xdg-mime but I don't know how to get it to work. thank you for help.

edit: i know that i can drag it to the window with osu or install firefox to open it but that just takes time. i liked how it worked on my xfce or kde.
Forefront
Suggestions:
1. Install `cabextract`: `sudo apt install cabextract`
2. Install Wine (I mean, you told me to add the repository WITHOUT installing wine?!) `sudo apt install winehq-stable`
3. On Bionic (18.04), you probably don't need the repository (no bionic in repo): `sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-development`
ExploXd
nvm, i figured it out.

btw i use arch. in aur repository is a package named mimeo so install that. you also should install xdg-utils and perl-file-mimeinfo from official repositories.

then download some skin and beatmap (their file extensions must be: .osk and .osz) and in terminal write:

# replace the directory with your directory with these files.
cd directory
# now we'll use the tool we installed. change file.osk with the name of the actual file.
mimeopen -d file.osk
# now it will say if you want to open it with smth so select other if it's there. then write just osu and it will open osu with that file and also it will set as default. if #you don't have an option other in mimeopen then select osu!.
#
#now we'll do this same with .osz extension
mimeopen -d file.osz
# now it will say if you want to open it with smh so select other if it's there. then write just osu and it will open osu with that file and also it will set as default. if #you don't have option other in mimeopen then select osu!.

sorry if it's not clear. i hope that francesco will rewrite this to actual guide. be free to ask me for smth
cykip
fps drop. playonlinux is better oon performance. can help me increase fps?
thnkg
It should noted that the hovering issue on Wacom tablets has been fixed upstream since input-wacom version 0.41.0 and kernel 4.18.
See this github issue: https://github.com/linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom/issues/14
cynaax
When trying to create a new wine prefix and install .NET 4.6.2, gdiplus and japanese font aliases, I keep getting this specific error "sha256sum mismatch! Rename /home/anthony/.cache/winetricks/dotnet462/dotNetFx462_Full_x86_x64_Slim.exe and try again."

Now, I have tried countless things, reinstalling, deleting Wine and Winetricks from "/home/usr/.cache" But nothing seems to work.

The reason I have switched to Linux is because of the countless issues I get with Windows 10, bsod's, Bad performance and constant bugs, overall the main reason I got bored of Windows was because it lost it's charm and ultimately got boring to use.

I knew switching to Linux would have some worth getting used to. But running osu is my main priority for now.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved quickly.

Thanks for your time!

-Cynical
CaptainKriss

_Cynical_ wrote:

When trying to create a new wine prefix and install .NET 4.6.2, gdiplus and japanese font aliases, I keep getting this specific error "sha256sum mismatch! Rename /home/anthony/.cache/winetricks/dotnet462/dotNetFx462_Full_x86_x64_Slim.exe and try again."

Now, I have tried countless things, reinstalling, deleting Wine and Winetricks from "/home/usr/.cache" But nothing seems to work.

The reason I have switched to Linux is because of the countless issues I get with Windows 10, bsod's, Bad performance and constant bugs, overall the main reason I got bored of Windows was because it lost it's charm and ultimately got boring to use.

I knew switching to Linux would have some worth getting used to. But running osu is my main priority for now.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved quickly.

Thanks for your time!

-Cynical

The download for dotnet462 changed, for now you can just change the dotnet version, dotnet461 should be good.
https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/issues/1124
Kruitana
Hi, I've looked through a fair amount of this thread over and I can't find anything addressing this so can anyone help?

The issue is, whenever I get a notification, whether it be from steam or a native desktop notification (KDE Plasma) I get a large amount of stutter and/also tracking issues with my mouse.

I've disabled my compositor when osu launches and I use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers with a 1070.

Any help would be be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Xantis
Hi! I have similar issue as CrypticInsanity. I am using 2 displays and when I play Osu! and have facebook opened on the second display, Osu! suddenly starts to shutter when I receive a message. I have external notifications disabled, but it "blinks" on facebook site. The problem disappears, when the message is read. I'm using Nvidia RTX2070 with proprietary drivers and have VBlank disabled. I have tried to change sync from Auto to display, which is used for Osu! but it didn't help.
Zantetsuken
2000 fps with 1/3 this guide and a 1050Ti, thank you noble man
http://www.webupd8.org/2016/06/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in.html

Monitor refreshrate not working ingame tho
GrunclePug
cant get it to launch, osu is stuck updating client info and this is my console output

pugchan@ubuntupc:~$ osu
0034:err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
0043:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request failed with status 0x2733
0043:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request failed with status 0x2733
0043:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
Pata-Kun
According to the last error, the component called "ntlm_auth" (in its 3.0.25 version or above) must be installed on your computer (anywhere in the PATH environment variable, but don't worry about that).
Then it is said that this component is distributed through the "winbind" package. All you have to do is: "sudo apt-get install winbind" (since you are on an Ubuntu OS, apt/apt-get is your default package manager) (after updating the package list, "sudo apt-get update"). Then retry. I don't know if it will clear everything though.

(Sorry for the delayed reply, hope it helps and don't hesitate to reach out again if you still have issues)
marshallracer
as it is usual, once per year I got the whim to freshen up my Linux setup and see how this guide holds up to the test of time and I gotta say .. it works better than ever

Manjaro Cinnamon latest stable (18.04 I believe) with the default 4.19 kernel
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
Radeon RX580 with free drivers shipped with Manjaro
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
wine-4.11 Staging

The game runs buttery smooth in windowed mode and while there is still some latency, it is noticably lower than it has been before with -9 ms global offset being spot-on (previously having to struggle with something around ~-20ms)

I should mention that wine-staging is somewhat necessary by now (I think) since regular wine locks threads during osu install and is never able to finish though maybe I also just had some bad luck?
I am honestly surprised how well it runs now, performance-wise on par with Windows

also why is this damn thread still not pinned
abbperson
For some reason I cannot for the life of me get any internet in/out no matter how many different ways I try to config everything before/during/after install.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo, mostly stock out of the box
All the steps work out fine, but I can't ever get an auth from bancho once I'm in the game.

If anyone has a similar issue feel free to chime in, I've decided to give up on it for now, unless I have an epiphany about something I did wrong :(
marshallracer

abbperson wrote:

For some reason I cannot for the life of me get any internet in/out no matter how many different ways I try to config everything before/during/after install.

All the steps work out fine, but I can't ever get an auth from bancho once I'm in the game.

If anyone has a similar issue feel free to chime in, I've decided to give up on it for now, unless I have an epiphany about something I did wrong :(

Have you tried installing lib32-gnutls?
This has been a common issue in the past which required that package to be installed to make osu connect to the internet
abbperson

marshallracer wrote:

abbperson wrote:

Have you tried installing lib32-gnutls?
This has been a common issue in the past which required that package to be installed to make osu connect to the internet

Yea I read about lib32-gnults for arch users, but I can't locate it for ubuntu, my searches are consisting of the default apt repos with Ubuntu 19.04, and some googling.

I found some posts saying to try
`apt-get install libgnults30:i386`
but no package is located.

GUI software browser brings up nothing for gnults

It seems like an arch only package almost, but I'm not foolhardy enough to assume I'm right about that.
marshallracer
It's definitely not Arch-only as I needed that package myself a few years back, though back then it has been at version 2.8 or 2.6 I believe

I've found a link to the 32-bit package, though I can't check rn if it's any useful (I should set up a Ubuntu VM at some point to test stuff) or if you've tried it already
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/i386/libgnutls30/download

edit:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libgnutls28-dev
the 2.8 package I believe has been used
abbperson

marshallracer wrote:

It's definitely not Arch-only as I needed that package myself a few years back, though back then it has been at version 2.8 or 2.6 I believe

I've found a link to the 32-bit package, though I can't check rn if it's any useful (I should set up a Ubuntu VM at some point to test stuff) or if you've tried it already
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/i386/libgnutls30/download

edit:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libgnutls28-dev
the 2.8 package I believe has been used

Thanks I'll give it another install through and through and report back, shame about naming conventions having no standard between package managers.

Edit: libgnutls28-dev was indeed the needed package. osu! seems to be working just fine now, thank you so much!
Akiko Masayoshi
typing "osu" in ternal
sends back
bash: /usr/bin/osu: Permission denied
followed all the steps,
any possable solutions?
an_3y3sack

creeperskin1 wrote:

typing "osu" in ternal
sends back
bash: /usr/bin/osu: Permission denied
followed all the steps,
any possable solutions?

You've probably haven't set your file permissions correctly. Try running "sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/osu"
abbperson

GrunclePug wrote:

cant get it to launch, osu is stuck updating client info and this is my console output

pugchan@ubuntupc:~$ osu
0034:err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
0043:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

After installing winbind, I still get

00b5:err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
00c4:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request failed with status 0x2733
00c4:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request failed with status 0x2733

in a loop, and osu won't complete it's update. odd.

edit: big brain: I got a working rpc dll as specified in the troubleshooting section and dumped it in the osu folder. Solved.

edit2: music and noise are super sped up and glitchy asf, I assume I borked something with wine so I'm going to start from scratch and try again
--> WINEPREFIX=~/osu-wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks sound=alsa

Is the culprit, something wrong with my alsa setup presumably. Switching back to Pulse Audio and no more glitching.
Azarilh
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You're my only saviour!

Rori Vidi Veni wrote:

This informative post will be deleted anyway, just move along

4 years later the post is still here. :T

EDIT: I'm having a problem: sometimes the screen gets blank (white) for a moment. It happens for example when i move from a song to another in the song list.
RE-EDIT: Solved the issue enabling the compatibility mode. :)
ZecosMAX
Also: Wine has changed the key. It is now downloaded from this command:

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
Fuz2y
thats cool
Forna
well this is just too awesome. Thanks dude, you're a Genius.
Btw works amazing on ubuntu but then again I have a beast laptop and a beast PC (but using fedora on that)
liujeikla
Ok boomer
The_Baralasch
Wow really good guide
I have arch linux installed and will try to install osu
mrniceguy127
I set up a script that does all of this if it helps anyone: https://github.com/mrniceguy127/osu-wine-install-script

Well, "all" as in everything besides the optional Japanese fonts fix.
marshallracer

mrniceguy127 wrote:

I set up a script that does all of this if it helps anyone: https://github.com/mrniceguy127/osu-wine-install-script

This is perfect. I wanted to do this myself for quite a while but I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to get into shell scripting.

What I'd change (and this is just personal preference, though leaving it as in the guide is fine, too) is having the prefix in a subfolder or something instead of it just laying around in the root of $HOME. Maybe $HOME/Games/osu-wine/ instead of $HOME/osu-wine/, similar to what Lutris does when installing a game.
Also, idk about current wine(-staging) (5.21 atm) but previous 5.x versions have a bug which prevent the proper installation of dotnet4x packages so maybe a warning for that can be added
mrniceguy127

marshallracer wrote:

mrniceguy127 wrote:

This is perfect. I wanted to do this myself for quite a while but I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to get into shell scripting.

What I'd change (and this is just personal preference, though leaving it as in the guide is fine, too) is having the prefix in a subfolder or something instead of it just laying around in the root of $HOME. Maybe $HOME/Games/osu-wine/ instead of $HOME/osu-wine/, similar to what Lutris does when installing a game.
Also, idk about current wine(-staging) (5.21 atm) but previous 5.x versions have a bug which prevent the proper installation of dotnet4x packages so maybe a warning for that can be added

I'll get to this next time my accelerated curriculum gives me time lmao. I'll probably have an environment variable or something that allows for this. I've also tested this on wine 5.21 without issues. Although I'll try it again at some point.

Something I often do for paths I can't change is setup a symlink. That way songs don't eat up whatever drive home is on. I have symlinks for all of the *important* data in my osu folder. With a script that generates them too, so I can fresh install osu! less painfully.

EDIT: WINEPREFIX is now changeable via the environment (WINEPREFIX="..." ./install-osu). As well as your WINE, WINESERVER, WINECFG, and WINETRICKS.
marshallracer
symlinks definitely work, totally forgot about them since my home folder got its dedicated 2TB drive for pretty much everything it needs while the system itself runs off an ssd
I used symlinks a couple of years ago (and maybe even mentioned it somewhere in this thread) where back when I was actively dual booting I linked the songs folder from my windows drive

also, testing with a new wineprefix on 5.21 staging, dotnet462 install hangs for me (except when running wineserver -k in the prefix which wasn't necessary in wine 4.x since the installs worked there without having to kill anything)
it's not too bad since it's an easy fix but still a shame the bug persists
mrniceguy127

marshallracer wrote:

symlinks definitely work, totally forgot about them since my home folder got its dedicated 2TB drive for pretty much everything it needs while the system itself runs off an ssd
I used symlinks a couple of years ago (and maybe even mentioned it somewhere in this thread) where back when I was actively dual booting I linked the songs folder from my windows drive

also, testing with a new wineprefix on 5.21 staging, dotnet462 install hangs for me (except when running wineserver -k in the prefix which wasn't necessary in wine 4.x since the installs worked there without having to kill anything)
it's not too bad since it's an easy fix but still a shame the bug persists

Oh yeah I have the stalling sadly. I actually put a note on the repo about the work around. I thought you meant that it wouldn't work at all or something. I think it might be related to fonts?

100 GB home folder ftw (used to be 50). I have a whole other partition on a separate drive for game storage and other huge storage. Sadly I'm still forced to dual boot for certain games too :(. I moved my Songs folder to my ext4 games partition though. Might be placebo, but somehow I felt like it gave me better load times.
show more