forum

Ultimate guide to low-latency osu! on Linux (rev.12)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Windmill

Franc[e]sco wrote:

are you sure you are playing on stable (latest), beta or cuttingedge and NOT stable falback? also, while radeon might have better opensource drivers than proprietary ones, for Nvidia it's recommended to use the proprietary drivers for better performance.
I did. I used nvidia-340 as drivers and ran it on Stable(latest), though I didn't do an installation and instead I linked it to my existing osu! folder from my other partition.

Also I encountered some errors on the setup, but pretty much even glxgears show that the nvidia chip doesn't seem to perform that well compared to my Intel one so I guess I'll really stick to Intel for now. :/
Windmill
https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.9.18

There's a new update to winehq-staging and I see some familiar stuff there:

40716 osu! - slightly low-pitched sound when using the ALSA sound driver
41007 Regression in minimum sound latency / HelBuflen value
Thanks to your bug report they might have gotten a fix. Maybe. I'm gonna try it out but I'm not that great when it comes to distinguishing sound latency issues. :/

EDIT : I finally managed to compile my own winealsa.drv from wine-1.8.2. Apart from the multilibs I also had to install libasound2-dev:i386 to avoid the "nothing to to" here error when building winealsa.drv
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Auxillium wrote:

https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.9.18

There's a new update to winehq-staging and I see some familiar stuff there:

40716 osu! - slightly low-pitched sound when using the ALSA sound driver
41007 Regression in minimum sound latency / HelBuflen value
Thanks to your bug report they might have gotten a fix. Maybe. I'm gonna try it out but I'm not that great when it comes to distinguishing sound latency issues. :/

EDIT : I finally managed to compile my own winealsa.drv from wine-1.8.2. Apart from the multilibs I also had to install libasound2-dev:i386 to avoid the "nothing to to" here error when building winealsa.drv
Bug 41007 is mine but it only fixes sound glitching and not the latency, which I have not yet debugged.
I'm not sure 1.8.2 winealsa.drv is enough to fix the latency, I recommend building an entire wine-1.8.2 install when possible.
Windmill
I said that just in case someone couldn't get past the "nothing to do here" error. Yeah I managed to finally build a working wine installation. Didn't know all I had to do was to install some dependencies and stuff. Though I was left with some dependencies I can't install (libxml because it has dependencies that would remove multilibs, libpulse cuz i don't even know why.), I managed to get the game running, so uhh big thanks to you and your guide! :D
Hirotoshi
[*] Install dotnet45
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts gdiplus cjkfonts
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
[*] Set gdiplus to builtin then native in libraries. This should fix Japanese, Chinese and Korean characters (thanks Astar)
[*] Download the osu!installer
wget 'https://m1.ppy.sh/r/osu!install.exe' --no-check-certificate
[*] Run it
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 wine 'osu!install.exe'

Within these few steps, an error occurs and I'm given the message:
error: dotnet45 conflicts with dotnet20, which is already installed.

Your reply is greatly appreciated.
Hirotoshi
[*] Install dotnet45
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts gdiplus cjkfonts
[*] Set gdiplus to builtin then native in libraries. This should fix Japanese, Chinese and Korean characters (thanks Astar)
[*] Run it
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 wine 'osu!install.exe'

Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Xerephiral wrote:

[*] Install dotnet45
[*] Run it

try starting from a fresh wine prefix and install only dotnet45 before anything else (so just winetricks -q dotnet45)
Windmill
I had that error too. I managed to get through it by starting from a fresh wine prefix and use
winetricks install dotnet45 corefonts

instead of adding -q so that I may follow on what's happening during the installation. Then I proceeded to everything else.
marshallracer
So I recently installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04.01 and wanted to see how much things have improved since the last time I tried to get osu running on Linux (which has been quite over a year ago, before this guide has even existed) and I'm honestly quite impressed by how well it runs on CE

I followed the guide closely except for the low-latency audio part which to be honest a) did not work as it, at some point, always threw missing file errors at me and b) I could set the global offset to -20 and have the timing always be on point (guess I have to mention that I use a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio soundcard)
Aside from that, everything works great, with the nouveau drivers shipped with the distro (note : running a 650Ti) which give me constant full framerates that only dip down to 58 while recording with OBS (using a shitty preset tbh) aswell as the proprietary nvoodia drivers shipped with the distro aswell (361.42, didn't bother to install the newest one yet) which lets run osu at full speed at all times.
Also, the guide to setup the osu tablet works perfectly to setup my old trusty Trust Stylus Design Tablet to make it use almost the exact same area as in windows (with quite a lot of guessing work of course)

The only issues I have seen so far are the main menu screen music controls not being present at all and the editor menu being completely black, although not unusable

I consider recording some footage and posting it here to show how well it runs but I haven't played properly in ages

Edit: well, here it is
I kinda realised during the play that my area still wasn't the way I wanted it (but HELL YEAH the cursor feels WAY more responsive than in Windows)
Also, A/V seem kinda async but apart from that (and the still not so great OBS settings) there is a video of a perfectly running osu! client on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.01
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

marshallracer wrote:

So I recently installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04.01 and wanted to see how much things have improved since the last time I tried to get osu running on Linux (which has been quite over a year ago, before this guide has even existed) and I'm honestly quite impressed by how well it runs on CE

I followed the guide closely except for the low-latency audio part which to be honest a) did not work as it, at some point, always threw missing file errors at me and b) I could set the global offset to -20 and have the timing always be on point (guess I have to mention that I use a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio soundcard)
Aside from that, everything works great, with the nouveau drivers shipped with the distro (note : running a 650Ti) which give me constant full framerates that only dip down to 58 while recording with OBS (using a shitty preset tbh) aswell as the proprietary nvoodia drivers shipped with the distro aswell (361.42, didn't bother to install the newest one yet) which lets run osu at full speed at all times.
Also, the guide to setup the osu tablet works perfectly to setup my old trusty Trust Stylus Design Tablet to make it use almost the exact same area as in windows (with quite a lot of guessing work of course)

The only issues I have seen so far are the main menu screen music controls not being present at all and the editor menu being completely black, although not unusable

I consider recording some footage and posting it here to show how well it runs but I haven't played properly in ages

Edit: well, here it is
I kinda realised during the play that my area still wasn't the way I wanted it (but HELL YEAH the cursor feels WAY more responsive than in Windows)
Also, A/V seem kinda async but apart from that (and the still not so great OBS settings) there is a video of a perfectly running osu! client on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.01
great to hear you got it working!
since you are on NVIDIA, I recommend trying the proprietary NVIDIA drivers as I've heard they outperform the open-source ones (opposite situation of AMD's)
marshallracer
Yeah I tried the newest stable proprietary drivers and they do their work as good as the 361 drivers
But yeah, the (surprisingly low) performance advantage is there

Fun thing I just tried (and that actually worked) : I have my original osu Folder from Windows on another HDD in the PC (which is completely seperated, yet still accessible from Ubuntu) while Ubuntu is running on the SSD on a rather small 30GB partition
Now, I don't want (and frankly, I can't) copy my 50GB library of maps onto the Ubuntu partition, so I went to the Windows folder on the HDD, made a link to the song folder, copied it to the osu folder running on Ubuntu and renamed the link to "Songs"
Now all it took was to start osu, go to song select and press F5, wait a while and have access to all songs (I wonder if it would work the same way on Windows ..)
Windmill

marshallracer wrote:

Yeah I tried the newest stable proprietary drivers and they do their work as good as the 361 drivers
But yeah, the (surprisingly low) performance advantage is there

Fun thing I just tried (and that actually worked) : I have my original osu Folder from Windows on another HDD in the PC (which is completely seperated, yet still accessible from Ubuntu) while Ubuntu is running on the SSD on a rather small 30GB partition
Now, I don't want (and frankly, I can't) copy my 50GB library of maps onto the Ubuntu partition, so I went to the Windows folder on the HDD, made a link to the song folder, copied it to the osu folder running on Ubuntu and renamed the link to "Songs"
Now all it took was to start osu, go to song select and press F5, wait a while and have access to all songs (I wonder if it would work the same way on Windows ..)

i've been doing that as well, but stuff seemed to just load slower than they should. any ideas?
marshallracer
Well, as for loading from loading through wine from another drive with a different filesystem I guess speeds are "ok"
Sure, slower than what one is to expect from loading speeds from Windows but except for the case of reloading all beatmaps (which took me around 2-3 minutes instead of around 10-15 seconds) I for myself did not notice loading times being much different in casual gameplay scenarios

On another note, wine-staging updated yesterday and now osu won't start properly but maybe I did make a mistake somewhere myself I just forgot to mount the HDD where my Songs Folder is on ..
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
Rewrote the entire guide based on linux mint sarah / ubuntu xenial and took out many of the useless steps as well as adding info on touchscreens. Enjoy!
Espionage724
Is dotnet45 fixing anything that dotnet40 doesn't take care of?

I see most people using dotnet45 but afaik it pulls in all the other dotnet packages as well as prerequisites. dotnet40 just pulls itself in and from what I've seen, is enough to run osu!.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Espionage724 wrote:

Is dotnet45 fixing anything that dotnet40 doesn't take care of?

I see most people using dotnet45 but afaik it pulls in all the other dotnet packages as well as prerequisites. dotnet40 just pulls itself in and from what I've seen, is enough to run osu!.
I actually thought osu depended on 4.5
I'll check whether 4.0 is enough :)
Johnny Gotti
Am I allowed to post this? Is it still active enough to post in? IDK, but here goes nothing.

Why is osu! crashing from POL when I try to open it? Here is the debug:

InformationThread info class 16 not supported yet
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:gdiplus:GdipDrawPath graphics object has no HDC
fixme:nls:LCMapStringEx unsupported lparam 198f90
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:crypt:SystemFunction041 (0x4d3a094, 10, 0): stub [RtlDecryptMemory]
fixme:crypt:SystemFunction040 (0x4d3a094, 10, 0): stub [RtlEncryptMemory]
fixme:advapi:EventUnregister deadbeef: stub
fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafecafe), STUB!

I think something might not be installed correctly, but idk. Please help, I need to reach 500pp by choking away 300x on 5 star maps.
Espionage724
What distro are you using, and what graphics chip do you have? And did you install graphics drivers?

Is there anything more to that log? Most of that is pretty typical output and shouldn't cause a crash.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

GG3K wrote:

Am I allowed to post this? Is it still active enough to post in? IDK, but here goes nothing.

I think something might not be installed correctly, but idk. Please help, I need to reach 500pp by choking away 300x on 5 star maps.
does osu still start if you ignore the POL crash report? if so, create a script to run the game as instructed in "additional tweaks", which IMO is cleaner than a shortcut anyways. it seems that the automatically generated shortcut created by POL is buggy.
Johnny Gotti

Franc[e]sco wrote:

GG3K wrote:

does osu still start if you ignore the POL crash report? if so, create a script to run the game as instructed in "additional tweaks", which IMO is cleaner than a shortcut anyways. it seems that the automatically generated shortcut created by POL is buggy.
No, it doesn't start. Looks like wine also crashes. I NEED MY PP!!!
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

GG3K wrote:

hmm interesting. in my testing it gave the POL crash screen from the shortcut but still executed fine.

could you try running

vblank_mode=0 /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "osu!" %F

from a terminal?

by the way, did it ever manage to run once? like for example it should've started right after the installation when you ran the installer

POL sure seems to be a pain, maybe I should precompile wine 1.8.3 from my end and provide my own binaries for distros where it's hard to build like ubuntu and mint in future versions of the guide.
Johnny Gotti

Franc[e]sco wrote:

GG3K wrote:

hmm interesting. in my testing it gave the POL crash screen from the shortcut but still executed fine.

could you try running

from a terminal?

by the way, did it ever manage to run once? like for example it should've started right after the installation when you ran the installer

POL sure seems to be a pain, maybe I should precompile wine 1.8.3 from my end and provide my own binaries for distros where it's hard to build like ubuntu and mint in future versions of the guide.
Yes, it did manage to run once. Is my shortcut wrong, because when I went to add the vsync thing, nothing was there. I copy-pasted the ended script.

EDIT: Ok, got everything working. went to change my skin, now osu won't open. I tried running the
script, but this is the outcome:
Looking for python... 2.7.11+ - wxversion(s): 3.0-gtk2
selected
[main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.2.10) is starting
[clean_tmp] Message: Cleaning temp directory
Script started /home/mint3k/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts/osu!
[POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for osu!.exe
[POL_Wine] Message: Running wine-1.8.3 osu!.exe %F (Working directory : /home/mint3k/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/osu/drive_c/osu)
[POL_Wine] Message: Notice: PlayOnLinux deliberately disables winemenubuilder. See http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/page-26-Winemenubuilder.html
[POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 0
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

GG3K wrote:

Yes, it did manage to run once. Is my shortcut wrong, because when I went to add the vsync thing, nothing was there. I copy-pasted the ended script.
well there's you problem. the script you copypasted won't work since it uses my home directory and other user-specific stuff.
I suggest replacing "mint" with your username or deleting the shortcut from playonlinux and recreating it.
Johnny Gotti

Franc[e]sco wrote:

GG3K wrote:

well there's you problem. the script you copypasted won't work since it uses my home directory and other user-specific stuff.
I suggest replacing "mint" with your username or deleting the shortcut from playonlinux and recreating it.
Now I have another problem. Osu won't run anymore. I just went to change my skin, too. the
has this outcome:
Looking for python... 2.7.11+ - wxversion(s): 3.0-gtk2
selected
[main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.2.10) is starting
[clean_tmp] Message: Cleaning temp directory
Script started /home/mint3k/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts/osu!
[POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for osu!.exe
[POL_Wine] Message: Running wine-1.8.3 osu!.exe %F (Working directory : /home/mint3k/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/osu/drive_c/osu)
[POL_Wine] Message: Notice: PlayOnLinux deliberately disables winemenubuilder. See http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/page-26-Winemenubuilder.html
[POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 0
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
I think osu might still be running in the background, in happens sometimes.

killall osu\!.exe

to terminate it.

Also, there should be an option to kill all processes in your POL drive properties.
Johnny Gotti
Trying to actually install osu, get this:
[POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for osu!install.exe
[POL_Wine] Message: Running wine- osu!install.exe (Working directory : /home/ubuntu3k/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/osu/drive_c/osu)
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:wer:WerSetFlags (2) stub!
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x32fb68): stub
fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x32fb4c): stub
err:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken Unhandled Token Information class 29!
err:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken Unhandled Token Information class 29!
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x000003fe,0x158bf8,0x0001,0x00000000,0x37be410,(nil)): stub
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L".NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.17929 - There was a failure initializing profiling API attach infrastructure. This process will not allow a profiler to attach. HRESULT: 0x800706a9. Process ID (decimal): 8. Message ID: [0x2509]."
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 0xa701ba, (nil), 0x162f4fc
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"osu!.resources"
fixme:nls:LCMapStringEx unsupported lparam 173de8
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"osu!.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"zx_53f37c2b43fc40daacc794c483ccccc6"
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1b78d0,0x32eca8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1d4720,0x32eca8: stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1e7a10,0x32eb48: stub
fixme:gdiplus:GdipGetFamilyName No support for handling of multiple languages!
fixme:gdiplus:GdipCreateHalftonePalette stub
fixme:process:FlushProcessWriteBuffers : stub
fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE partially implemented
fixme:service:QueryServiceConfig2W Level 6 not implemented
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Configuration"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Web"
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW (0x55dbfc8,0xdf6de10,0xdf6de14),stub!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request: stub
fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl -> SIO_ADDRESS_LIST_CHANGE request: stub
fixme:ras:RasConnectionNotificationW (0xffffffff,0x388,0x00000003),stub!
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xdf6b490 (nil)): stub
wine: Unhandled exception 0x40000015 in thread 32 at address 0xdf60023:0x012c237f (thread 0032), starting debugger...
Process of pid=0008 has terminated
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Modules:'
Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Threads:'
[POL_Wine] Error: Wine seems to have crashed

If your program is running, just ignore this message
[POL_SetupWindow_Init] Message: Creating new window for pid 19929
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000e services.exe
00000026 0
00000025 0
0000001e 0
00000019 0
00000018 0
00000016 0
00000014 0
00000010 0
0000000f 0
00000012 mscorsvw.exe
0000001b 0
0000001a 0
00000017 0
00000013 0
0000001c winedevice.exe
00000024 0
00000021 0
00000020 0
0000001d 0
00000022 plugplay.exe
00000028 0
00000027 0
00000023 0
0000002b explorer.exe
0000002d 0
0000002c 0
winedbg: Internal crash at 0x7ecefeb5
[POL_SetupWindow_Close] Message: Closing window for pid 19929
[POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 3
Espionage724

GG3K wrote:

Did you install a dotnet package (either dotnet40 or dotnet45)?
Johnny Gotti

Espionage724 wrote:

GG3K wrote:

Re-did it, Log:
Using winetricks 20161012 - sha1sum: 1a40d8a339204cbf8f36e078144a9be58b5c77e9 with wine-1.6.2
Executing mkdir -p /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Executing cd /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/files/LATEST to /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
--2016-10-27 07:13:22-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/files/LATEST
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.32.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.32.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 29 [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘LATEST’

LATEST 100%[===================>] 29 --.-KB/s in 0s

2016-10-27 07:13:22 (3.58 MB/s) - ‘LATEST’ saved [29/29]

Executing cd /home/ubuntu3k/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/osu/drive_c
------------------------------------------------------
You are running winetricks-20161012, latest upstream is winetricks-32043404���R� !
You should update using your distribution's package manager, --self-update, or manually.
Executing rm -rf /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Executing w_do_call dotnet45
dotnet45 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call cjkfonts
Executing load_cjkfonts
Executing w_do_call fakechinese
Executing load_fakechinese
Executing w_do_call wenquanyi
wenquanyi already installed, skipping
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakechinese\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakechinese\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing w_do_call fakejapanese
Executing load_fakejapanese
Executing w_do_call takao
takao already installed, skipping
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakejapanese\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakejapanese\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing w_do_call fakekorean
Executing load_fakekorean
Executing w_do_call baekmuk
baekmuk already installed, skipping
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakekorean\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_fakekorean\_register-font-replacements.reg
Executing w_do_call unifont
unifont already installed, skipping
Johnny Gotti

Espionage724 wrote:

GG3K wrote:

Re-did it, Log:
Using winetricks 20161012 - sha1sum: 1a40d8a339204cbf8f36e078144a9be58b5c77e9 with wine-1.6.2
Executing mkdir -p /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Executing cd /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/files/LATEST to /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
--2016-10-27 07:13:22-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/files/LATEST
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.32.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.32.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 29 [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘LATEST’

LATEST 100%[===================>] 29 --.-KB/s in 0s

2016-10-27 07:13:22 (3.58 MB/s) - ‘LATEST’ saved [29/29]

Executing cd /home/ubuntu3k/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/osu/drive_c
You are running winetricks-20161012, latest upstream is winetricks-32043404���R� !
You should update using your distribution's package manager, --self-update, or manually.
Executing rm -rf /home/ubuntu3k/.cache/winetricks/latest_version_check
Executing w_do_call dotnet45
dotnet45 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call cjkfonts
Executing load_cjkfonts
Executing w_do_call fakechinese
Executing load_fakechinese
Executing w_do_call wenquanyi
wenquanyi already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call fakejapanese
Executing load_fakejapanese
Executing w_do_call takao
takao already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call fakekorean
Executing load_fakekorean
Executing w_do_call baekmuk
baekmuk already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call unifont
unifont already installed, skipping
Espionage724
How are you using such an old version of Wine? The guide here mentions 1.8.3 being used, and I personally use 1.9.20 without issue.

When setting up the prefix, there should be a way to select what version of Wine is being used. Either go with 1.8.3 as this guide says, or try the latest 1.9.21 version.

As for dotnet, dotnet45 works, but from what I've seen, dotnet40 by itself is lighter and works fine too. Either go with the guide on this (looks like you already had dotnet45 installed), or try dotnet40.

Alternatively, while I doubt PoL is a problem in this case, you could try the distro's version of Wine and check out my guide (in sig).
Johnny Gotti
OK, I finally got everything running. How there's an alt+Tabbing problem. Whenever I tab out, osu freezes and I have to kill the process. How am I supposed to install maps and skins the short way if I can't drag it in?
marshallracer

GG3K wrote:

OK, I finally got everything running. How there's an alt+Tabbing problem. Whenever I tab out, osu freezes and I have to kill the process.
By the sound of it it seems you're using regular fullscreen, although I might be wrong

If so, did you try borderless fullscreen or windowed modes?
If I'm completely wrong with my thoughts here or you did try these I guess Esp will find a way to get rid of this issue
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

GG3K wrote:

OK, I finally got everything running. How there's an alt+Tabbing problem. Whenever I tab out, osu freezes and I have to kill the process. How am I supposed to install maps and skins the short way if I can't drag it in?
use borderless fullscreen. true fullscreen is a mess on linux and osu on wine doesn't use true fullscreen anyways.
Espionage724

GG3K wrote:

...How am I supposed to install maps and skins the short way if I can't drag it in?
From what I've seen, osu! files should get the correct run-as settings when osu! installs, at least with plain Wine (not sure with PoL) so you should just be able to press Enter on the downloaded song/skin and it'll import into osu! like it does on Windows.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
ah yeah, about installing maps.

I drag them from a different workspace when I use i3wm, or from my 2nd monitor when I use non-tiling window managers.

you can also temporarly switch to window mode to drag maps if you only have 1 monitor.

I never tried to set up the mime type handler for .osz but that should also work.
KaidaxOfficial

GG3K wrote:

How am I supposed to install maps and skins the short way if I can't drag it in?
I just download .osz's to the Songs folder and hit F5.
seranon
I have a strange issue with the refresh rate. The guide only talks about how to set the refresh rate on xrandr, which I have a while ago, but it seems like the refresh rate is stuck at 60 in-game. Thing is, the game recognizes that it is at 144hz.
Oh, and also a strange note: if I set the frame limit to unlimited, it will still limit it to 144hz in a map and 220hz in menu. Maybe it means that vsync is still on, I'm not sure myself. Response is quite low on both POL and Windows, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on here.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

seranon wrote:

I have a strange issue with the refresh rate. The guide only talks about how to set the refresh rate on xrandr, which I have a while ago, but it seems like the refresh rate is stuck at 60 in-game. Thing is, the game recognizes that it is at 144hz.
Oh, and also a strange note: if I set the frame limit to unlimited, it will still limit it to 144hz in a map and 220hz in menu. Maybe it means that vsync is still on, I'm not sure myself. Response is quite low on both POL and Windows, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on here.
are you sure it's actually being limited? what msec value do you get in the frame counter? hz value in the fps counter should show the monitor's refresh rate while in a map and 240hz in menus, while the msec value will tell you your actual frame rate.

have you already tried all the possible tips on removing vynsc in this guide?
seranon

Franc[e]sco wrote:

seranon wrote:

are you sure it's actually being limited? what msec value do you get in the frame counter? hz value in the fps counter should show the monitor's refresh rate while in a map and 240hz in menus, while the msec value will tell you your actual frame rate.

have you already tried all the possible tips on removing vynsc in this guide?
msec value in a map is around 0.40 on windows, between 0.6-1.0 on POL. hz value is at 240fps in menus, 144fps in maps, but it's still 60hz
vblank_mode=0 didn't disable vsync at all
I also tried __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 (I have a GTX660), which did turn off vsync with glxgears, but not with osu

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure what I have done, but through going from fullscreen to windowed to fullscreen, I somehow managed to get it to work at 144hz.
I'll try to find out what caused it, but this is a huge relief.

EDIT2: So, this is quite strange, but it happens when I refocus it. The easiest way to reproduce this fix is to disable and reenable frameboxing. It's not the best or most convenient way to solve it, but i guess it works.
Exploshun
I'm currently having issues with osu! When scrolling through songs, osu! may suddenly just freeze. It ocassionally even freezes the whole system, locking up my computer completely. Running Wine 1.8.3 with playonlinux (Exact setup described in guide), but have replicated in Wine 1.9.22 (Staging). Running Arch Linux with 4.8.6-2-ck kernel. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit:
Running nvidia 375.10 drivers.
Just tested and full system freeze can also happen during gameplay.
Also tested with vanilla 4.8.6-1-ARCH kernel. So far I could reproduce the song list freeze, but not the complete system lockup (may just be luck though)
show more