forum

Ultimate guide to low-latency osu! on Linux (rev.12)

posted
Total Posts
show more
n54
I'm having a problem on arch.
Sound works fine but osu cant connect, error is
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
lib32-gnutls is installed.
The error occurs as soon as i install dotnet45 in my wineprefix. With dotnet20 it works, but then the only working osu version is the stable one.
Any ideas on that?
Espionage724

elektrobier wrote:

I'm having a problem on arch.
Sound works fine but osu cant connect, error is
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
lib32-gnutls is installed.
The error occurs as soon as i install dotnet45 in my wineprefix. With dotnet20 it works, but then the only working osu version is the stable one.
Any ideas on that?
Try only dotnet40. Not sure if dotnet45 is actually needed, but I can play osu! fine with 40.
n54
Doesn't work either, same error.
ShadowSageMike
I just CAN NOT get the wine dlls [winealsa.drv] to compile! It always says nothing to do here. I even tried compiling wine itself and it never built the dang dll files... anyone else have any issues, and if you figured out how to get it working, could you please share? Running debian jessie, tried compiling in ubuntu 15.10. same issue.
SyrenE_old
I'd just like to add that my audio seemed by be lowered after doing this(I believe this happened when changing the audio configuration files). I was searching around and found that my master volume was at 34% when I used the command: alsamixer -c 0, so there I just increased the master volume back and everything was back to normal. Before looking here everything else I looked in was showing 100% volume(using KDE 5).

Also, I was experiencing stuttering/freezing when using XanMod kernel, does anyone else experience this?
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

ShadowSageMike wrote:

I just CAN NOT get the wine dlls [winealsa.drv] to compile! It always says nothing to do here. I even tried compiling wine itself and it never built the dang dll files... anyone else have any issues, and if you figured out how to get it working, could you please share? Running debian jessie, tried compiling in ubuntu 15.10. same issue.
sorry for the late reply, but have you tried the precompiled ones I provided? either way tweaking the .drv files will not boost latency all that much so I'd say it's not critical.

by the way, I just updated the guide to fix japanese, korean and chinese characters (thanks to Astar who messed around with it until he figured it out). you basically install gdiplus and cjkfonts and then set gdiplus to builtin then native in winecfg -> libraries and it works out of the box. if it doesn't, try switching between builtin and native for gdiplus in winecgf -> libraries.

Also I am still thinking about putting together a gentoo version of this guide (since I actually play osu on gentoo as my daily driver) but there's just so many tweaks that I've done that I can't remember them all.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
Also I'd like to add that right now Stable (Latest) runs smoother than cuttingedge for me (which usually isn't the case). And since it has switched to the OpenGL only engine as well, you can just use it no problem on linux.
cmcooper123
How would i go about using a second sound card so i could switch between my two sound cards?
ShadowSageMike

Franc[e]sco wrote:

ShadowSageMike wrote:

sorry for the late reply, but have you tried the precompiled ones I provided? either way tweaking the .drv files will not boost latency all that much so I'd say it's not critical.

by the way, I just updated the guide to fix japanese, korean and chinese characters (thanks to Astar who messed around with it until he figured it out). you basically install gdiplus and cjkfonts and then set gdiplus to builtin then native in winecfg -> libraries and it works out of the box. if it doesn't, try switching between builtin and native for gdiplus in winecgf -> libraries.

Also I am still thinking about putting together a gentoo version of this guide (since I actually play osu on gentoo as my daily driver) but there's just so many tweaks that I've done that I can't remember them all.
Pulseaudio seems to have a bit of input lag but its very very very small, but if I boot back into windows, its gone.

ALSA isn't an option for me, either.

PS: I disappeared from this thread because your precompiled ones worked, so thank you~!
cmcooper123
Never mind, i was having a problem that was unrelated to this guide
hetake2
Works fine on Arch.
Jerod212
Compatibility mode solved some latency issues for me.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
I just messed around with schedtool (should be available on most distros) and managed to achieve better responsiveness and more consistent framerates by changing wineserver and osu priority like so:

sudo schedtool -F -p 15 -n -4 -a 0x5 $(pidof osu\!.exe)
sudo schedtool -F -p 20 -n 19 $(pidof /usr/bin/wineserver)

will add this to the guide eventually.

NOTE: 0x5 is for a i7-4790k, if you don't have hyperthreading or less than 4 cores you might need to adjust it to a valid core number

Also, moving the wine prefix to a SSD greatly helps in disk access speed, as wine seems to slow down disk access slightly which makes it horribly slow on my HDD
kamild_
That's a very comprehensive guide, thank you! On a side note, that just shows why Linux is far from being ready for gaming in general. Swapping kernels and video drivers, generally diving deep into the terminal just to get this game run as well as on Windows, where it's pretty much "install and play"...

Even though I'd like to try that. But I have a couple of questions before I get started:
  1. I actually forgot what kind of driver I have installed on my Kubuntu. "fglrxinfo" says "OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.302" so I guess it's fglrx (the fact that this command actually exists also seems to give that away...). At this point, what's the proper method of installing the driver from padoka's PPA?
  2. Once I do switch to padoka's mesa driver, is it safe to follow the "Simple installation" method for XanMod kernel?
EDIT: I almost forgot. My PC is running Kubuntu 15.10 x64. My CPU is Intel Core i5-3350P and GPU is Radeon R9 280X,
Espionage724

TheReduxPL wrote:

That's a very comprehensive guide, thank you! On a side note, that just shows why Linux is far from being ready for gaming in general. Swapping kernels and video drivers, generally diving deep into the terminal just to get this game run as well as on Windows, where it's pretty much "install and play"...

Even though I'd like to try that. But I have a couple of questions before I get started:
  1. I actually forgot what kind of driver I have installed on my Kubuntu. "fglrxinfo" says "OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.302" so I guess it's fglrx (the fact that this command actually exists also seems to give that away...). At this point, what's the proper method of installing the driver from padoka's PPA?
  2. Once I do switch to padoka's mesa driver, is it safe to follow the "Simple installation" method for XanMod kernel?
EDIT: I almost forgot. My PC is running Kubuntu 15.10 x64. My CPU is Intel Core i5-3350P and GPU is Radeon R9 280X,
It could depend on the hardware, but on both of my computers; a standard osu! install with default conditions (standard kernel, no messing with alsa or pulse, etc) works fine.

As for the other questions, yeah if fglrxinfo works, you have fglrx (but to be certain it's actually being used; run glxinfo | grep 'renderer' and it should show either fglrx/Catalyst, Gallium, or llvmpipe).

To use padoka's PPA, you'll want to fully remove Catalyst first. These instructions should work fine for that (should work on Ubuntu 15.10 and other versions even though it says Trusty). After that, you can add padoka's PPA, refresh software sources, and then dist-upgrade and reboot. Can use this command below (copy/paste into Terminal as a single line):

sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa' -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sync

As for XanMod; I just download the archive, extract it, and run sudo dpkg -i *.deb in the folder. I believe one of the packages are optional, but I don't really care :p (it was a headers package I think). After that, I also do a sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo update-grub to clean up any old Ubuntu kernel images (it'll keep the last/latest stock kernel though) and fix GRUB.
kamild_

Espionage724 wrote:

Thank you so much! I was also thinking if I need to mess with the kernel but after doing all the steps in this guide, I still don't feel like it's latency-free. Although the sound is very well synced now and mouse seems to work more reliably, there's still something wrong - in one of the songs I get ~97% accuracy when playing on Windows but on Linux something's still off and I could barely reach ~80%. I'd like to try messing with my drivers and a kernel in hope of getting this sorted out.

Also your glxinfo command shows "OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series".
Espionage724

TheReduxPL wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

Thank you so much! I was also thinking if I need to mess with the kernel but after doing all the steps in this guide, I still don't feel like it's latency-free. Although the sound is very well synced now and mouse seems to work more reliably, there's still something wrong - in one of the songs I get ~97% accuracy when playing on Windows but on Linux something's still off and I could barely reach ~80%. I'd like to try messing with my drivers and a kernel in hope of getting this sorted out.

Also your glxinfo command shows "OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series".
One thing to try may be to disable compositing (I think Alt + F12 on KDE disables it on toggle), and another is to disable any kind of vsync with osu! (starting it with vblank_mode=0 accomplishes this).

I don't think performance itself is a problem, but here's a few things I do on my Ubuntu installs that may be of interest:

https://gitlab.com/Espionage724/Linux/b ... p.txt#L200
This enables some tweaks for radeon to boost performance. The way I do it there is global and may require a reboot, but you could also add the same R600_DEBUG= environment variable to osu!'s start command too to use it instantly (same way with vblank_mode=0).

https://gitlab.com/Espionage724/Linux/b ... p.txt#L215
This tells the kernel to be more strict on using RAM before the swap partition.

https://gitlab.com/Espionage724/Linux/b ... p.txt#L358
This tells Xorg to use modesetting instead of the radeon-specific graphics driver. This can be comparable to using AMDGPU and usually improves performance. An alternative (should this not work for some reason) can be found below.

https://gitlab.com/Espionage724/Linux/b ... p.txt#L429
This tells Xorg to use DRI3 with the radeon-specific driver. The default is DRI2. DRI3 usually improves performance. If AMDGPU is available to install on the system, you should probably use it instead of radeon (pretty sure the DRI3 option is the same; can check man amdgpu to be sure).

As for the renderer; maybe try glxinfo | grep 'Catalyst' (or change Catalyst to fglrx, Gallium, or llvmpipe). Whichever of those show something, that's likely what is being used.
kamild_

Espionage724 wrote:

I didn't apply all your tweaks yet but just by adding "VBLANK_MODE=0" and "R600_DEBUG=..." I can definitely feel the difference and my scores are way better now. Actually, it kinda felt like the music was a little bit offsync with notes but I easily corrected that by configuring a delay in game settings. Disabling the KDE compositor didn't do much of a difference but I implemented it in the .sh file I use to start the game with.
Also I already removed fglrx, installed mesa from the repository and the kernel. The difference was also noticable. Thanks again!

EDIT: I just beat one of my personal records right now on Kubuntu. I definitely consider this entire "operation" a huge success. This guide (and your help) turned this game from "quite unplayable" (I had huge input delays in both mouse and keyboard, even though my mouse accel was already off) to "probably more playable than on Windows".
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

TheReduxPL wrote:

well most of this stuff is optional. it will run almost as well by just installing wine and osu into your wine prefix without any additional tweaks. the directsound regedit is probably what helps the sound latency the most.
as for diving deep into the terminal... well that's just how linux works. once you get used to it, it's faster and simpler than doing things with a fancy gui ;) it definitely isn't as user friendly as windows but that's what makes it so powerful and modular.

well, I'm glad you managed to get everything working :D I also see you switched to the open-source drivers which is good, as from my experience fglrx sucked.
kamild_

Franc[e]sco wrote:

TheReduxPL wrote:

well most of this stuff is optional. it will run almost as well by just installing wine and osu into your wine prefix without any additional tweaks. the directsound regedit is probably what helps the sound latency the most.
as for diving deep into the terminal... well that's just how linux works. once you get used to it, it's faster and simpler than doing things with a fancy gui ;) it definitely isn't as user friendly as windows but that's what makes it so powerful and modular.

well, I'm glad you managed to get everything working :D I also see you switched to the open-source drivers which is good, as from my experience fglrx sucked.
I'm aware it's optional but without doing any of the steps from this guide, osu was working very poorly for me, to a degree when I just didn't enjoy the game. Linux terminal isn't too bad for tech-savvy people but there are people out there (including some players) who struggle with installing a simple program on Windows. How would they react if you told them that most of the programs are installed by writing "sudo space apt dash get space install space package name" into the terminal? :D

Also fglrx was good in one thing: at least it runs some Source games like Team Fortress 2, while the open-source driver couldn't even start them. Actually, that was the case with the open-source driver integrated into Ubuntu, not sure how would the modified one from padoka's PPA work - I might try it later.
Espionage724

TheReduxPL wrote:

Also fglrx was good in one thing: at least it runs some Source games like Team Fortress 2, while the open-source driver couldn't even start them. Actually, that was the case with the open-source driver integrated into Ubuntu, not sure how would the modified one from padoka's PPA work - I might try it later.
Not sure if this is the specific issue, but there was some kind of library issue with Steam games and the open-source graphics driver. Not sure what the appropriate fix for it is nowadays, but in the past, deleting a few library files out of the Steam folder causes Steam to use the system-installed libraries instead, and fixed the issue. I recall playing TF2 and Dota 2 (after that fix) pretty well a while back.

Glad to hear those variables worked :)
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Espionage724 wrote:

TheReduxPL wrote:

Not sure if this is the specific issue, but there was some kind of library issue with Steam games and the open-source graphics driver. Not sure what the appropriate fix for it is nowadays, but in the past, deleting a few library files out of the Steam folder causes Steam to use the system-installed libraries instead, and fixed the issue. I recall playing TF2 and Dota 2 (after that fix) pretty well a while back.

Glad to hear those variables worked :)
yep, to get source games working on opensource drivers just go in the game's directory and delete bin/libstdc+++.so.6 or rename it
ladronescar

Franc[e]sco wrote:

Let's say I wanted an area half the size of the full area in the top left corner.
BottomX = 8340 / 2 = 4170
BottomY = 4170 / 1.78205128205 = 2340
The new area is 0 4170 0 2340.
Is this a typo? Shouldn't it be:
BottomY = 4170 / 2 = 2085
AstralPhnx
I'm having trouble on the steps involving ALSA setup, namely that some files like modprobe.conf just... don't exist.
I checked the directory and everything but some files that I need to edit in the tutorial just do not exist on my machine. What now?

Also for the record I'm running ubuntu GNOME 16.04 with the Xanmod kernel.
I checked for the relevant packages and alsa is indeed installed as is pulse audio so I dunno what is going on here
I mean the game is playable and I haven't had too much trouble with it (latency is at 11ms though. It's a stable 11ms though so I have been able to configure the audio offset)
Neddz
I tried most of these recommendations in ArchLinux with the 4.6.4-rt8-2-rt kernel. Working perfectly, thank you very much for this guide!
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
I have recently discovered more tricks that I will soon add to the guide.
If you are using wine versions newer than 1.8.2, please revert to 1.8.2 for better sound latency. I am working on figuring out what patches broke sound between 1.8.2 and latest version of wine (already found half of the problem and reported it in their bug tracker).
Windmill
Thanks to your guide I managed to be able to run it on Ubuntu 15.10. I do notice the latency issue on latest Wine Staging. Is there a way for me to properly adjust this in osu! or is it a Wine issue overall?
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Auxillium wrote:

Thanks to your guide I managed to be able to run it on Ubuntu 15.10. I do notice the latency issue on latest Wine Staging. Is there a way for me to properly adjust this in osu! or is it a Wine issue overall?
wine issue. just downgrade for now, when I have time I will find the code responsible for this and send a bug report to the wine guys
Windmill

Franc[e]sco wrote:

wine issue. just downgrade for now, when I have time I will find the code responsible for this and send a bug report to the wine guys
Thanks for the quick reply! Any guide on how to downgrade? I managed to install Wine 1.8.2 from source before but I couldn't get past the step where i change the sound driver to alsa since it wasn't using any sound driver in the first place :/
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Auxillium wrote:

Franc[e]sco wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! Any guide on how to downgrade? I managed to install Wine 1.8.2 from source before but I couldn't get past the step where i change the sound driver to alsa since it wasn't using any sound driver in the first place :/
I just installed from source on gentoo, but most package managers should allow forcing a certain version of a package. try sudo apt-get install winehq-staging=1.8.2
Windmill

Franc[e]sco wrote:

I just installed from source on gentoo, but most package managers should allow forcing a certain version of a package. try sudo apt-get install winehq-staging=1.8.2
Oh okay then. That command didn't work for me, sadly. I'll just try building it again from source. Hopefully I can get the sound to work though.

Also, I'd like to say using Bumblebee for Nvidia Optimus didn't work well, since I barely go above 100fps in both Full Screen/Windowed with or without Compatibility Mode ticked on, even with the vblank_mode=0 argument. :/
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Auxillium wrote:

Franc[e]sco wrote:

Oh okay then. That command didn't work for me, sadly. I'll just try building it again from source. Hopefully I can get the sound to work though.

Also, I'd like to say using Bumblebee for Nvidia Optimus didn't work well, since I barely go above 100fps in both Full Screen/Windowed with or without Compatibility Mode ticked on, even with the vblank_mode=0 argument. :/
are you sure you are playing on stable (latest), beta or cuttingedge and NOT stable falback? also, while radeon might have better opensource drivers than proprietary ones, for Nvidia it's recommended to use the proprietary drivers for better performance.
Windmill

Franc[e]sco wrote:

are you sure you are playing on stable (latest), beta or cuttingedge and NOT stable falback? also, while radeon might have better opensource drivers than proprietary ones, for Nvidia it's recommended to use the proprietary drivers for better performance.
I did. I used nvidia-340 as drivers and ran it on Stable(latest), though I didn't do an installation and instead I linked it to my existing osu! folder from my other partition.

Also I encountered some errors on the setup, but pretty much even glxgears show that the nvidia chip doesn't seem to perform that well compared to my Intel one so I guess I'll really stick to Intel for now. :/
Windmill
https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.9.18

There's a new update to winehq-staging and I see some familiar stuff there:

40716 osu! - slightly low-pitched sound when using the ALSA sound driver
41007 Regression in minimum sound latency / HelBuflen value
Thanks to your bug report they might have gotten a fix. Maybe. I'm gonna try it out but I'm not that great when it comes to distinguishing sound latency issues. :/

EDIT : I finally managed to compile my own winealsa.drv from wine-1.8.2. Apart from the multilibs I also had to install libasound2-dev:i386 to avoid the "nothing to to" here error when building winealsa.drv
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Auxillium wrote:

https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.9.18

There's a new update to winehq-staging and I see some familiar stuff there:

40716 osu! - slightly low-pitched sound when using the ALSA sound driver
41007 Regression in minimum sound latency / HelBuflen value
Thanks to your bug report they might have gotten a fix. Maybe. I'm gonna try it out but I'm not that great when it comes to distinguishing sound latency issues. :/

EDIT : I finally managed to compile my own winealsa.drv from wine-1.8.2. Apart from the multilibs I also had to install libasound2-dev:i386 to avoid the "nothing to to" here error when building winealsa.drv
Bug 41007 is mine but it only fixes sound glitching and not the latency, which I have not yet debugged.
I'm not sure 1.8.2 winealsa.drv is enough to fix the latency, I recommend building an entire wine-1.8.2 install when possible.
Windmill
I said that just in case someone couldn't get past the "nothing to do here" error. Yeah I managed to finally build a working wine installation. Didn't know all I had to do was to install some dependencies and stuff. Though I was left with some dependencies I can't install (libxml because it has dependencies that would remove multilibs, libpulse cuz i don't even know why.), I managed to get the game running, so uhh big thanks to you and your guide! :D
Hirotoshi
[*] Install dotnet45
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts gdiplus cjkfonts
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
[*] Set gdiplus to builtin then native in libraries. This should fix Japanese, Chinese and Korean characters (thanks Astar)
[*] Download the osu!installer
wget 'https://m1.ppy.sh/r/osu!install.exe' --no-check-certificate
[*] Run it
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 wine 'osu!install.exe'

Within these few steps, an error occurs and I'm given the message:
error: dotnet45 conflicts with dotnet20, which is already installed.

Your reply is greatly appreciated.
Hirotoshi
[*] Install dotnet45
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts gdiplus cjkfonts
[*] Set gdiplus to builtin then native in libraries. This should fix Japanese, Chinese and Korean characters (thanks Astar)
[*] Run it
ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="plug:dmixer" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 wine 'osu!install.exe'

Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Xerephiral wrote:

[*] Install dotnet45
[*] Run it

try starting from a fresh wine prefix and install only dotnet45 before anything else (so just winetricks -q dotnet45)
Windmill
I had that error too. I managed to get through it by starting from a fresh wine prefix and use
winetricks install dotnet45 corefonts

instead of adding -q so that I may follow on what's happening during the installation. Then I proceeded to everything else.
show more