forum

Ultimate guide to low-latency osu! on Linux (rev.12)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
another thing you could try is installing gdiplus with winetricks like you did with dotnet
Santeri
Yeah I'm using proprietary drivers. Tried installing gdiplus, didn't do anything in this case.

Here's what comes up in xterm when I launch osu!.exe (since osu!install.exe disappears and gets replaced with osu!.exe when you launch it): http://pastebin.com/49XGPRpV

Not sure how it could help, but in the possible case it could, I decided to pastebin it.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

SanteriP wrote:

Yeah I'm using proprietary drivers. Tried installing gdiplus, didn't do anything in this case.

Here's what comes up in xterm when I launch osu!.exe (since osu!install.exe disappears and gets replaced with osu!.exe when you launch it): http://pastebin.com/49XGPRpV

Not sure how it could help, but in the possible case it could, I decided to pastebin it.
err:wincodecs:PngDecoder_CreateInstance Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0

seems like your libpng is broken or missing, try installing / reinstalling it. either way, if you wait and let it blindly update it might still run even if it can't display anything on the updater

try
yaourt -Sy lib32-libpng libpng
Santeri
Reinstalling libpng did not fix the issue and it doesn't seem like the installer is actually installing or downloading anything. Instead the progress bar is just flashing and nothing is happening...
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

SanteriP wrote:

Reinstalling libpng did not fix the issue and it doesn't seem like the installer is actually installing or downloading anything. Instead the progress bar is just flashing and nothing is happening...
from some googling it seems that libpng is a common problem in arch... not sure why.
well, I took a look at the package info for libpng on arch and it installs libpng16, but wine wants libpng12

maybe we can trick it with a symlink:
sudo ln /usr/lib/libpng16.so /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
sudo ln /usr/lib32/libpng16.so /usr/lib32/libpng12.so.0

make sure libpng16.so exists in /usr/lib before doing this, otherwise adjust libpng16.so to whatever version of libpng is there
Santeri
What i did instead was install lib32-libpng12 and libpng12 with yaourt, and now it seems to be showing. Now I also know why it's not downloading anything, at least partly. How do you think I'd fix this? lol

edit: I imagine this "RAS support" error and the libgnutls errors have something to do with it?

fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW (0x1d8c90,0xf6cde30,0xf6cde34),stub!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> _WSAIO(IOC_WS2, 23) request failed with status 0x2733
fixme:ras:RasConnectionNotificationW (0xffffffff,0x388,0x00000003),stub!
fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.

Looking at the xterm window again, it also seems like it's failing to parse a ton of URLs or something.
Santeri
Fixed it by installing lib32-gnutls and lib32-gnutls26 (not sure which one because I installed both at once, lol). Also installed libgnutls. The game is running! Wonderful.

Edit: Starting to feel like it just doesn't like Manjaro, lol. It pretty much crashes in under a minute after launching every single time, no idea why. It crashes even faster if I go into a song.

On some rare occasions it doesn't crash, but instead drops down to like 2fps and stutters to no end.
SlowLogicBoy
I want to chime in with this so here I go:

Relevant Specs
Ubuntu Mate 16.10
GTX 660
XP-Pen G430
2x Monitors 1920x1200 + 1680x1050

Tablet:
My tablet didn't work out of the box so I just used tips from Huion H420 / osu!tablet area and monitor mapping installed Digimend drivers, unplugged and plugged back in my tablet.. WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Tablet appeared as:
⎜ ↳ UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Mouse id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Pen id=10 [slave pointer (2)]

I used "UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Pen" to config everything:

First of I like to play with "Forced Proportions" and since my tablet isn't 16:10,I had to tweak it a bit:
xinput --list-props "UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Pen"
gave me:
Coordinate Transformation Matrix (154): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

So to suit me I had to tweak this matrix to my needs...
First value gives me how my tablets x axis is mapped to my Screen (Screen = all monitors), so lets work on that.
if my both monitors would be same resolution, I could just type 0.5 and that would be it, but since they are not, I need to calc how much of my screen takes main monitor, so
Sceen:
1920+1680 = 3600
And proportion:
1920/3600 = 0,533333333333,
so now I have the X mapping value.

Second 1 in that matrix is for Y mapping, since my tablets active area is 120:77 it doesn't map to 16:10 so I need to tweak this number too.
16/10 = 1.6 (you can do that with resolution too 1920/1200)
To find out how much of Y I need on tablet
120/1.6 = 75
To make that 75 be my whole Y:
77/75 = 1.026666

So I got my X and Y mapping to apply them:
xinput set-prop 'UGTABLET TABLET G3 4x3 Pen' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0.533333, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.026666, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

More on Coordinate Transformation Matrix you can read here

Performance: (I only speak for Nvidia)
This was done after tips from this thread,
These apply for Ubuntu Mate

Problem: When I switch to another program (or otherwise loose focus on osu!) Keyboard input is no longer registered in osu!
Solution: Play full screen + Add wine registry: 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver' String Value 'UseTakeFocus' with value 'N' (everything without ' (quote) of course)

Problem: Screen tearing
Solution: Mate Tweaks -> Windows -> Window manager change to Compiz
For some people Marco Compton works better, but for me Tearing still occurred.
arihosu

arihosu wrote:

Yeah I've been having the same issue for a few weeks now. Different wine versions (and .net combinations) yield different results, sometimes the launcher graphics are glitched (red X's), sometimes they show fine, but in all cases it always crashes before launching the game. Furthest I got was wine 2.2 with only dotnet4 installed, which would launch the game and you'd hear the sound effect from hovering menu icons, but crashes 1 second later anyway.

Maybe a recent osu update broke wine compatibility?
ppy pls, osu!next when
Nevermind, I'm retarded. Installing gdiplus solved my crashing problem and it works fine now.
Dozy Van
Hi I have been scracting my head over this issue for 2 days now.

I keep getting this problem:
------------------------------------------------------
Setting windows version so installer works
Setting Windows version to win2k
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet20sp1\set-winver.reg

No matter how long I leave it, it won't go passed that point

Its when I do this:
WINEPREFIX=~/osu-wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 cjkfonts

I get the same error when I try to install Osu! from the Arch AUR witch I think is just a packaged version of your guide.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Dozy Van wrote:

Hi I have been scracting my head over this issue for 2 days now.

I keep getting this problem:
Setting windows version so installer works
Setting Windows version to win2k
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet20sp1\set-winver.reg

No matter how long I leave it, it won't go passed that point

Its when I do this:
WINEPREFIX=~/osu-wine WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet45 cjkfonts

I get the same error when I try to install Osu! from the Arch AUR witch I think is just a packaged version of your guide.
I've had this issue on latest wine but not 1.8.3, hmmm make sure winetricks is up to date, try deleting and recreating the wine prefix, try messing with the windows version on winecfg. could also try installing without -q and clicking the installer stuff manually.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
a little update: I've tested this on debian and deepin (requested by a friend) and there are some major tweaks to do to compile from source on pure debian based distros, as the LXC version in there is much older. will update when I have time
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
updated:
- added instructions for debian (tested on debian and deepin)
- tested ubuntu guide on mint and added a lot of missing libraries that some distros might not have preinstalled
- added libgnutls26 for distros where the client fails to connect to the internet because of missing/incompatible gnutls
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
just finished testing on arch, good news! wine can be built much more easily on arch than other distros, although it requires a few patches of the source

Here are all the steps I followed from a completely clean arch install to having osu set up.

http://hnng.moe/f/Q95.txt

of course you don't have to follow every step or the OS setup section at all, but this should give you a good guideline to set up osu on arch and adapt it to your setup.

I will eventually comment all this and add an arch section to the guide.
Miss Clo
This may be unrelated, but I've just went through the whole thing and I noticed quite a bit of latency with my Wacom CTL-490, I looked around but I can't seem to find where this comes from. Do you have an idea?
Also , thanks a lot for this guide!
One last thing, do you know why no images are showing in the UI? They are transparent, and for buttons I can't even click them
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

ichinose-san wrote:

This may be unrelated, but I've just went through the whole thing and I noticed quite a bit of latency with my Wacom CTL-490, I looked around but I can't seem to find where this comes from. Do you have an idea?
Also , thanks a lot for this guide!
One last thing, do you know why no images are showing in the UI? They are transparent, and for buttons I can't even click them
input lag is a common issue with the ctl-490, it's caused by the tablet. I heard taping the nib so it's always pressed fixes it.

as for the UI, for me only the top right play/pause/stop buttons are invisible in the main menu, which isn't a problem. if more stuff is invisible, you might wanna check the terminal output for missing libraries or other errors
Miss Clo
Input lag with the ctl490 on Windows is caused by the drivers when hovering
Linux drivers don't have this problem, lag occurs regardless of drag or hover, less so than on Windows, but since there's no workaround like holding the nib, it's quite annoying
:(
As for UI, profile picture, music controls and leftside icons in settings are not showing. I ran it from the terminal and there was no particular issue.. weird :/
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

ichinose-san wrote:

Linux drivers don't have this problem, lag occurs regardless of drag or hover, less so than on Windows, but since there's no workaround like holding the nib, it's quite annoying
As for UI, profile picture, music controls and leftside icons in settings are not showing. I ran it from the terminal and there was no particular issue.. weird :/
huh, really weird. you could try installing gdiplus from winetricks, but that will probably break cjk fonts.

as for the input lag, make sure you are using wine 1.8.3 as newer versions have latency, try tweaking the polling rate the same way as mouse, disable any desktop effects that might cause input lag. I don't use any DE and Xorg is a piece of crap and gets clogged up easily when you use gnome or ubuntu's unity.

other than that I really dunno what to say, I've tested the guide step by step on real hardware and virtual machines and never encountered your particular issues :?
YaLTeR
Hey, just wanted to throw my two cents on the audio latency.

I'm on Arch Linux x64, using the latest wine (2.7 at the time of writing). I switched from a pure ALSA setup I had previously, all tweaked to lowest osu! latency, to PulseAudio, with the same non-existant audio latency. The trick was to force wine to use winealsa.drv:
winetricks sound=alsa

This way, even though the audio is going through alsa->pulseaudio->alsa as opposed to pulseaudio->alsa, the latency is much better (I submitted a bug report into wine about that). The PulseAudio settings are all set to default (none of the tsched=0 stuff, that actually made it worse). And don't forget to do the winealsa.drv patch as described in the OP.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

YaLTeR wrote:

I'm on Arch Linux x64, using the latest wine (2.7 at the time of writing). I switched from a pure ALSA setup I had previously, all tweaked to lowest osu! latency, to PulseAudio, with the same non-existant audio latency. The trick was to force wine to use winealsa.drv:
winetricks sound=alsa

This way, even though the audio is going through alsa->pulseaudio->alsa as opposed to pulseaudio->alsa, the latency is much better (I submitted a bug report into wine about that). The PulseAudio settings are all set to default (none of the tsched=0 stuff, that actually made it worse). And don't forget to do the winealsa.drv patch as described in the OP.

yea I actually debugged the issue some time ago and narrowed it down to something that changed in dsound's code around 1.9.x IIRC, thanks for the tip, will try it later
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

ichinose-san wrote:

update - to adjust smoothing and polling rate of a wacom tablet use

xsetwacom --set "device name" RawSample 1
xsetwacom --set "device name" Suppress 0

RawSample is smoothing, Suppress is poll rate

lower = less smoothing and higher poll rate

min values are 1 and 0

use xsetwacom --list devices to find out your device name

and again, for icons try installing gdiplus on winetricks
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

YaLTeR wrote:

winetricks sound=alsa
Just tested this and it does indeed work! major props to you, will update the guide to use latest wine eventually
IcePixel_
I don't know how the get my coordinates with my Wacom One the Driver doesn't show any coordinates can someone help me? And i use forced proportions.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

IcePixel_ wrote:

I don't know how the get my coordinates with my Wacom One the Driver doesn't show any coordinates can someone help me? And i use forced proportions.
you can either approximate it by counting pixels and then converting to coordinates ((x / pixelwidth) * maxareawidth, (y / pixelheight) * maxareaheight) or try to export the tablet preferences to a file and see if you can find them in it with a text editor or something. or just start from scratch and tweak your area until it feels right. unfortunately that's wacom's fault for not showing values in older drivers
Arzenvald

Franc[e]sco wrote:

YaLTeR wrote:

winetricks sound=alsa
Just tested this and it does indeed work! major props to you, will update the guide to use latest wine eventually
latest wine yes pls
Miss Clo
Not sure why I didn't get notifications for these answers, pretty sure I was subscribed to the thread... But anyway thanks for all the tips, helped a lot!
Lux
Hey I'm trying to get osu up and running on MX Linux 16.1, following the Debian based guide to build Wine from source. I installed all the packages fine and added the deb-src lines to the list files, but I'm having trouble in the next step.
$ virsh -c lxc:/// net-start default
error: Failed to start network default
error: direct firewall backend requested, but /sbin/ebtables is not available: No such file or directory
And also I tried restarting the libvirtd service as I found in another forum post and I get this:
$ systemctl status libvirtd
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
$ systemctl start libvirtd

Anyways, I tried the guide using PlayOnLinux and that didn't work either, osu! would "install" but then when I run it the icon appears and then nothing shows up afterwards. Lots of stuff shows up in the POL Shell end of which is:
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 346
Current serial number in output stream: 350

Any thoughts?
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Lux wrote:

Hey I'm trying to get osu up and running on MX Linux 16.1, following the Debian based guide to build Wine from source. I installed all the packages fine and added the deb-src lines to the list files, but I'm having trouble in the next step.
$ virsh -c lxc:/// net-start default
error: Failed to start network default
error: direct firewall backend requested, but /sbin/ebtables is not available: No such file or directory
And also I tried restarting the libvirtd service as I found in another forum post and I get this:
$ systemctl status libvirtd
$ systemctl start libvirtd

Anyways, I tried the guide using PlayOnLinux and that didn't work either, osu! would "install" but then when I run it the icon appears and then nothing shows up afterwards. Lots of stuff shows up in the POL Shell end of which is:
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 346
Current serial number in output stream: 350

Any thoughts?
glxCreateContext is failing, which seems to indicate that your acceleration isn't working. could be broken gpu drivers

check your glxinfo, make sure it's not using software rendering, check your drivers etc
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco
I just moved to a pure alsa + musl libc distro (sabotage) and running on pure alsa brought my sound latency down to zero, no more 20ms offset!

will prob add an alsa section to the guide like there used to be, although running pure alsa isnt practical for most people because of how much software depends on pulse or has issues on alsa

for me though, pretty much everything that I use works, will just have to do some tweaking for obs sound capturiing

for now, here's my /etc/asoundrc.conf

defaults.ctl.card 1

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
period_size 32
buffer_size 512
}
}
tleydxdy
the "More tweaks to get rid of vsync" part causes my arch to login loop. but I'm using a Radeon HD graphic so maybe it doesn't matter.
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

tleydxdy wrote:

the "More tweaks to get rid of vsync" part causes my arch to login loop. but I'm using a Radeon HD graphic so maybe it doesn't matter.
maybe you set it to the wrong driver, check what it uses by default when it works from the xorg log

well, it shouldn't matter unless the game is clearly fps locked even without the limiter
Lux
After I checked the Open GL hardware acceleration setting with glxinfo it just worked when I started it...

So I got it working on just Intel graphics with MX Linux 16.1 using the PlayOnLinux guide. The input latency is good but I can't really figure out the audio latency (but that's really my problem) it's just off by like 20-30 ms I think. The only minor inconvenience is that my tablet area resets each time I disconnect/reconnect it.

Anyways, thanks for the guide/help!
sselecaf
edit : followed all your tutorial to the point where i have to put this command : ../configure --prefix=/home/loli/wine-1.8.3
i get this :

configure: error: X development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.
Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

what can i do from there ?

re:edit

I also tried to install osu via playonlinux i'm on mint*

i get to the point where we have to open a shell into POL and he show me the message "Ce script doit être executé dans Playonlinux" in english "This script has to be executed in POL" and anything i type is ignored when i press enter the shell just close

so i tried to open a shell into the POL folder to create a osu folder and install it in it
but i cant do the "winetricks -q dotnet45 cjkfonts" so osu say me that he hasn't .NET 4.5
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

sselecaf wrote:

edit : followed all your tutorial to the point where i have to put this command : ../configure --prefix=/home/loli/wine-1.8.3
i get this :

configure: error: X development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.
Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

what can i do from there ?

re:edit

I also tried to install osu via playonlinux i'm on mint*

i get to the point where we have to open a shell into POL and he show me the message "Ce script doit être executé dans Playonlinux" in english "This script has to be executed in POL" and anything i type is ignored when i press enter the shell just close

so i tried to open a shell into the POL folder to create a osu folder and install it in it
but i cant do the "winetricks -q dotnet45 cjkfonts" so osu say me that he hasn't .NET 4.5
as the error says, you need to find packages that have development headers for X for your distro. on mint it should be something like libx11-dev and xserver-xorg-dev

as the for POL error, not sure - I don't use POL myself and haven't encountered that error during my tests :?
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

Lux wrote:

After I checked the Open GL hardware acceleration setting with glxinfo it just worked when I started it...

So I got it working on just Intel graphics with MX Linux 16.1 using the PlayOnLinux guide. The input latency is good but I can't really figure out the audio latency (but that's really my problem) it's just off by like 20-30 ms I think. The only minor inconvenience is that my tablet area resets each time I disconnect/reconnect it.

Anyways, thanks for the guide/help!
20ms is acceptable if you use local offset everywhere

don't use global offset as it will throw video sync off

I think there are ways to set up scripts to automatically run when device is connected, but for me it's easier to run a script manually

also, you can use the linux version of McOsu on steam to compare latency and check whether it's a global sound latency issue or if it's limited to wine. if your global audio latency is already good, there's probably not much more you can do other than messing with the values in regedit. i found that the SndQueueMax value affects latency a lot (6 is wayyy more latency than 3)
sselecaf
Ok so if someone has the same error that i had you have to install all theses libraries
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev xserver-xorg-dev libx11-dev:i386 libfreetype6-dev:i386

and for Playonlinux the error that i had didnt showed on my laptop who use ubuntu 16.04

edit : i see you know it reading last post x')
another thing that you can add to your tutorial is mc osu who's a good solution if any of your way to get osu installed dont work
it can be installed with steam
the only problem with it is that he limit the amount of fps at 60 (on my computer)

ty for your response Franc[e]sco i'll come back if i find another problem haha
sselecaf
WINEPREFIX=~/osu-wine WINEARCH=win32 ~/wine-1.8.3/bin/wineboot
bash: /home/gerard/wine-1.8.3/bin/wineboot: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

i checked into the folder and i dont find "wine-1.8.3" like the shell what could i do wrong?

maybe it's wine-git instead ? but he give me the same answer when i replace "wine-1.8.3" by "wine-git"
Topic Starter
Franc[e]sco

sselecaf wrote:

Ok so if someone has the same error that i had you have to install all theses libraries
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev xserver-xorg-dev libx11-dev:i386 libfreetype6-dev:i386

and for Playonlinux the error that i had didnt showed on my laptop who use ubuntu 16.04

edit : i see you know it reading last post x')
another thing that you can add to your tutorial is mc osu who's a good solution if any of your way to get osu installed dont work
it can be installed with steam
the only problem with it is that he limit the amount of fps at 60 (on my computer)

ty for your response Franc[e]sco i'll come back if i find another problem haha
run steam with "vblank_mode=0 steam" to unlock fps

sselecaf wrote:

WINEPREFIX=~/osu-wine WINEARCH=win32 ~/wine-1.8.3/bin/wineboot
bash: /home/gerard/wine-1.8.3/bin/wineboot: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

i checked into the folder and i dont find "wine-1.8.3" like the shell what could i do wrong?

maybe it's wine-git instead ? but he give me the same answer when i replace "wine-1.8.3" by "wine-git"
compilation failed or you compiled wine to the wrong folder, double check the path you specified in configure and make output
sselecaf
so i restarted the tutorial from 0 and get to the point where i had the libraries error and it says me the same thing with every library installed so i think the problem come from this
Ambrew
Hi there,

I'm running into problems trying to download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0. Each time it tries to install it, it freezes and the terminal shows this line
err:ole:marshal_object Failed to create an IRpcStubBuffer from IPSFactory for {659cdeac-489e-11d9-a9cd-000d56965251} with error 0x80004002
please advise.. what should I do?

thanks!
show more