forum

Fokusing for getting more as others? :/

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PureFallen
At first: Sorry for my bad english. I can understand english very well, but writing... grammar problems :/

Some of you have seen the video from the popular player Azer yesterday. Some other... not.
The video says the most directly, but i found a post from peppy that are very interessting:

Saying this as the Lead developer of Osu! should hurt very hard. On the other site, the pp system can´t removed at this point of osu!, were maps, players and more are focused at this component.

The problem is the feel to having something, that other players not have. It brings nothing in the real world, but other players want it or want to have more.

Some example: Shiny pokemon have no pros except the color (which is most a bad choice) or the point, that there are very rarely.
The point that there are rarely is the reason, why the most players want it. She want to have something, that other "friends" not have.

Through this problem i lost a "friend" for a long time (i should not call it friend after this).
The problem is, that he target to have to best pp´s from all his "friends" in his "friendlist".
So he only farm if he need it to get the #1 Score. A sign, that he dont really want to play this game for rhythm or for fun.
To busting him, i goes in the multiplayer and downloaded a few popular maps.

Popular means you get more pp´s... Other maps don´t get any (or much) fans in this Osu! :/
So i farmed that up and get some ranks in the short time. He answered every night after i get more. You can see nearly 2 "exact" graphs:

Its no hint, that he wouldn´t have so much points now if i havent farmed in the last days.
What i want to say: I have sucessfully used the pp-system to manipulate the activities and playtime from a other human. Some want to have so much that you can use the "mightfully" system to control their and the free time they have... GG.

No, i don´t tell any names.

Time to go back to Peppys Post:

Now can anyone say, that this is also a problem that players want to have the best score of a single map, not global through. But one map is better balanced at this point. It gives maps that are easy to play and maps, there are harder to play. If AR, OD, the rhythm is the problem, cares not directly...
All players have the same problem with the map, if they have not practiced the needed skills (Example: I am good at Jumping, but bad in Keystreams).

On pp System can any Map give different pps. It is harder to balance. It gives sometimes some nerfs by topplayers because they get to much or to low... But we look at the normal players and getting more pp for a 2* S Play with HRDTHD as a 4* S Play.... Only a example, the contrary is also occured.

The post in short: I can understand the words of Azer and peppy, that to many (new) Players only target the pp System and other factors go lost.
But also it is a Problem, that ppv2 can´t be removed. As well the System is unbalanced. Sometimes you get pp´s for nothing, sometimes you playing really hard maps and get something like 0,x.
Maps are popular for the Drops, not for their other abilitys like the song, the rhythm, the mapping style etc. So you can farm without any Problems through playing Multi, other maps don´t interest "the normal Player".
"the normal Player" cares only one thing: Entering userpages. The first, that everyone of us see is the pp Score and Graph. This is a Problem...

Thats the post... but what can we do at the Point?
The developers give their best to Balance pp (look at the nerfs from top scores) but they can´t find all.
Overrated Drops will not be alerted. Also a normal Player can´t say at which Point a pp drop is normal or unnormal.

I hope some Players here want to discuss and have good ideas.
Mofu kun
maybe this thread would be better suited for gameplay and rankings.

this thread does make sense, but the thing is, new players might not even know what pp is, and just play for fun.
Nadfee
I agree with the fact that the PP system is easily manipulated from your point of view.

The thing is, there is a difference between someone playing for fun and playing competitively.
If a person plays competitively, they focus on what the "system" has offered the players with and go from there (in this case the PP ranking system)
If a person plays for fun, they focus on playing songs they like.
If a person plays for fun and competitively, they use common sense and pick suitable maps & difficulty that fits their style.

What I'm trying to point out is the PP system is mostly only important to semi-competitive or competitive players.
If you play for fun and find that those maps also gives a lot of PP.. that'd just be coincidence and everything can't be fair and square. (especially a ranking system dependent on algorithms)

The system isn't balanced and probably won't be. There is no such thing is a ranking system that is perfectly balanced with the fact that it uses algorithms. (This is just my view). As you said, the developers/administrators/whoever they are are doing their best to "nerf" overrated PP maps. They're already doing their best.

Tl;dr - Just adapt to how the PP system works. We all know for a fact it is very easy to differentiate a farmer vs a good player ranks aside. Keep that in mind and throw the ranking system away from your brain.
Railey2
Competitiveness is one of the most fundamental and significant human qualities. Theres nothing inherently wrong about wanting to be better than others. In fact, competitiveness is one of the reasons why we got that far as a species to begin with. It's an important form of ambition. One reason why people achieve.

Enjoying maps for what they are and playing for pp isn't mutually exclusive. I could for example play both maps for pp and maps that I like. Or I could even like the maps that get me pp.
I think peppy is catastrophizing things bit. It's not like you introduce a ranking system and suddenly everyone stops to care about the game-mechanics. I still play this game because I like playing it, just like most people out there.

People that analyze the ranking system and pick out the best maps to farm, generally do that because they want to. I say: Let them. Your way to play the game isn't better than their way to play the game. They play the game in a manner that provides the most fun for them. If farming isn't that, you'd expect them to stop eventually.
Vuelo Eluko
best era was back before ppv2 when there was scoreboard hype. rrtyui was like rank 30 but everyone still knew he was #2 because the overall rankings didnt matter. I guess some people still cared about TP at that time but scoreboards were above all else the focus of competition.

once overall rankings started to mean something, scoreboard hype died. maps like rainbow dash, atama no taisou, red goose, disconnected, tylenol etc etc noone cared anymore.

Basically you cant put a numerical value to scores without cheapening them
E m i

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

best era was back before ppv2 when there was scoreboard hype. rrtyui was like rank 30 but everyone still knew he was #2 because the overall rankings didnt matter. I guess some people still cared about TP at that time but scoreboards were above all else the focus of competition.

once overall rankings started to mean something, scoreboard hype died. maps like rainbow dash, atama no taisou, red goose, disconnected, tylenol etc etc noone cared anymore.

Basically you cant put a numerical value to scores without cheapening them
sort leaderboards by pp
amplify pp based on leaderboard rank
abraker
Welcome to shitty culture of online gaming, where underlings watch top tier players do stuff and then take the game too seriously for what it really is.