forum

HOw do I make a decent beatmap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iTurtle_old
I want to make some beatmaps but I've never made one. I've seen the tutorials and read the FAQ but its still confusing and difficult for me. Any words of advice?
Krisom
Do you know the basics?
Or are you looking for advice on creating a good beatmap and you handle the basics alredy?
Topic Starter
iTurtle_old
Well not really, like I said it all doesn't make much sense to me.
Krisom
Hmmm, well, this proves that the tutorial is not really good at explaining....

..what about the video tutorials, are they too confusing too? If they are, i don't really know where to start from...
James2250
One of the best ways to learn (if you have already read all the stuff you can) is to just go into edit and play around with stuff and see what you can make. It can take a long time to learn how to map and its more by trial and error than anything else in my opinion.

Looking at some already ranked maps in edit might give you some ideas to start with

My bad Derekku :P
Derekku
If you've read the FAQs, then a good start may be opening ranked maps in the editor and taking a look at how they're constructed. Find a song that you like, open one of the easier difficulties, and just play around with it. Unfortunately, the video tutorials aren't that helpful (they weren't in my experience), but experimenting with the editor should help. (Just stay away from the Design tab, since that's for storyboarding and you'll just confuse yourself if you think it's directly related to mapping)

EDIT: Ninja'd alkdfjlsdk
Topic Starter
iTurtle_old
Okay thanks guys this really means a lot! :D
GladiOol
Check out this page too! (:
whoppabritdude
Hey guys. I am new to Osu! and I just made my first beatmap (First Date-Blink 182) Do you think that one or all of you could take a quick look to see if i'm doing a good job? If you could take a look at it i'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot! -Adam
Shiro
#modreqs and modding queues
blissfulyoshi
@whoppabritdude:
If you want to see how your map is doing, I recommend you first try to compare your map to a ranked map and see how they compare, in flow, intuitiveness, hitsounds, aesthetics, and most importantly, fun factor (I want to use funness, but I don't think that is a real word). If you think it does well in all of those departments try asking for mods in either #modreqs or the modding queue forums. Modders should be able to give you good pointers on how to improve your map.

I wish you and iTurtle the best of luck and a good mapping experience

Edit: T_T Ninjaed