forum

Music Analysis

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zetectic
For those of you who want to enjoy their own mp3/mp4 file without having to create a whole beat map spending hours of work.
Provide us with an auto music analysis. so if you drop an mp3/mp4 file, note will be automatically produced from your song beats.

The idea came from this application in your smart phone called 'Beat MP3 - Rhythm Game'.
Remyria

Zetectic wrote:

For those of you who want to enjoy their own mp3/mp4 file without having to create a whole beat map spending hours of work.
Provide us with an auto music analysis. so if you drop an mp3/mp4 file, note will be automatically produced from your song beats.

The idea came from this application in your smart phone called 'Beat MP3 - Rhythm Game'.
If I get what you're saying, it will create by itself notes, like...audiosurf? If so, I hope it will never ever happen
Bara-
Lol no
Timing is a thing, just as proper snappings (1/4, 1/6, 1/8 etc.)
This may never happen for Std
Not sure for CtB
The other modes might not be that bad, but for those modes you have auto mapping (Ctrl Tab in editor to place notes with the keybinding)
Vesrand
If you want to:

Zetectic wrote:

enjoy their own mp3/mp4 file
use winamp. Not in any way its realted to playing osu.
abraker
Worth considering after someone figures out how to have software reverse engineer heavy SDVX type songs or something along those lines. I don't even see much top tier software able to do that well as of right now. The best you will get is something worse than an autoconvert.
Vesrand

abraker wrote:

Worth considering after someone figures out how to have software reverse engineer heavy SDVX type songs or something along those lines. I don't even see much top tier software able to do that well as of right now. The best you will get is something worse than an autoconvert.
Well i think this isn't main problem. We can try to use artificial neural network. Just load all existing good maps to it and let it learn how it is mapped in various music samples.

But what is bad about it is that mapping without humans will stop its evolution. We will not see anything new and unusual in maps. You can say that people will still be making maps by themselfs. But still i don't want to see any automatically generated maps in osu database. So my vote is against this feature.
abraker

Vesrand wrote:

But what is bad about it is that mapping without humans will stop its evolution.
I'm sure artificial neural networks will come up with a different variant every time you run it from scratch, but that's not the main problem either. The main problem is that this will take a lot of time and resource to pull off, even using an alternative to neural nets, which is something that ppy can't even think of doing.
pixeldesu

Vesrand wrote:

We can try to use artificial neural network. Just load all existing good maps to it and let it learn how it is mapped in various music samples.

But what is bad about it is that mapping without humans will stop its evolution. We will not see anything new and unusual in maps. You can say that people will still be making maps by themselfs. But still i don't want to see any automatically generated maps in osu database. So my vote is against this feature.
The problem is not the mapping in general, a good-written AI can apply to anything, it's just the extensive ruleset for mapping which needs to be applied (and updated) to all that. And generally, having something that automatically generates maps just from a song as input, is a lot of work.
Wind_14
Ummm... if i'm not wrong, beat mp3's pattern is not really as good as the pattern made by human...