forum

Spectating people if they are testing a map in the editor [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
Couldn't we spectate people if they were testing a map at some point in time? [not sure if this goes in feature requests or Help and support]
Rena-chan

ouranhshc wrote:

Couldn't we spectate people if they were testing a map at some point in time? [not sure if this goes in feature requests or Help and support]
...Why ?
James2250
I am not really fond of people spectating me to begin with, don't want them watching when I test maps too :P
The_Priest_In_Yellow
Testing implies editing.

Which implies constant change.

Which implies that the map would need to be updated on the observer end.

Which implies that the map would need to be submitted.

Which in turn makes this completely useless ?
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
i was just curious, becaue i remember being able to spectate people like that
Galkan
Funny thing, but it hasn't priority :-P
Kitsunemimi

ouranhshc wrote:

i was just curious, becaue i remember being able to spectate people like that
No, you couldn't have ever done that. Unless it was somehow added without me knowing in the middle of that month I was completely gone, but according to TPIY, it's impossible, and I've never seen/done this before.
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
my bad then
maay

The_Priest_In_Yellow wrote:

Testing implies editing.

Which implies constant change.

Which implies that the map would need to be updated on the observer end.

Which implies that the map would need to be submitted.

Which in turn makes this completely useless ?
Well, I believe many players go into the editor when they wan't to practice a certain part of a map. Suppose there is a map that has a trap at it's end: you've played the map many times and you just miss at that sneaky trap. One would want to practice that single part alone instead of wasting time on the easy part. In that regard, it'd be cool if we could spectate people in the editor imo.
Azure_Kite
But thats cheating. Technically speaking.
blissfulyoshi

SuperMaay wrote:

Well, I believe many players go into the editor when they wan't to practice a certain part of a map. Suppose there is a map that has a trap at it's end: you've played the map many times and you just miss at that sneaky trap. One would want to practice that single part alone instead of wasting time on the easy part. In that regard, it'd be cool if we could spectate people in the editor imo.
(assuming you are talking about ztrot's diff) What traps are you talking about? The ending jumps are not much harder than the jumps that have been done so far.

On topic, how do you plan to spec a person when a map is changed and not uploaded. For example, the ending for ztrot's diff in flyaway was edited 3-4 times before it was ranked. If I was testing to see how a new pattern would play at the end, how would you spec me? You need an updated copy of the map to see what is accurately going on. Unless you want maps to be constantly updated, which would cause huge amounts of stress on the server, there is no real way to spec someone like that in the editor. Since most people use editor to make changes, I think it is quite unreasonable to spec someone in editor.

Edit: Referred to the wrong map in my argument, but my argument still stands.
Azure_Kite
The only way I could imagine this working is if the player and spectator started with the same map, and the changes are added to the spectator's .osu in real-time. I imagine this wouldn't be very nice for performance, though.
Derekku
If someone is spectating you and you happen to be in test mode, the list of spectators still shows up. I also thought that one used to be able to spectate another in test mode, so I'm really not sure what to do with this "request".
maay
I used ztrot's map as an example but it works quite well. Just look at the players that missed at those jumps: taNa, ykcarrot and even Cookiezi. Also, so far, only 32 players have been able to FC that song, which is a really small amount, considering the length of the map.

@Azure, Yes, I suppose you could call that cheating, but in-game you can oftenly see good players with the testing status on already ranked beatmaps, and I can only assume it is generally to practice a certain part of the map. You can even cut a map for the only part you want to practice if you are a Taiko or CtB player.

Edit: by the way, spectating in editor mode would only useful to spectate, for example, ShaggoN playing those scary streams at that scary Marisa song - which is to say generally ranked maps (so that everyone would have the same .osu) imo. As has been said before, there isn't much point on this feature for WiPs. But then again, if the player doesn't want to be spectated, all he has to do is to delete some random note or move it a grid down and the .osu will be different.
The_Priest_In_Yellow
Tried said on taiko and standard, this is the result.

As you can see it apparently does not work, although the spectator can be seen in the spectator list while testing and as Azure has already pointed out, this is not the way maps are supposed to be played.

Point still stands, if the map is not up to date a spectate will fail and spectating in testing mode stays at buffering. This reminds me of a request long ago for a spectate mode for editing, which was iirc denied.

Derekku
Myself and others still think that this used to be possible, so I'll just wait and see what peppy says. :c
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
I've spectated nharox before while he as testing a map in the editor, but that was atleast 3+ months ago.

And for those who can't read. The first post is a question in other words this isn't a "feature request"
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
bump?
awp
wouldn't this require the host client to be sending the beatmap's state over to the spectating client every time a change was made?

That would be fuckin' annoying, considering you can't disable spectating
peppy
I'll just go ahead and get this over with.

Denied.
Derekku
Shall it be considered a bug that a list of spectators can still be seen while in test mode, then? :I
peppy
I guess that's a logical conclusion!
Derekku
Just making sure before I take the time to ticket it. :I

http://osu.sifterapp.com/projects/4151/ ... 0/comments
Topic Starter
ouranhshc
actually, i was just curious about where it went. I wasn't asking to be able to spectating people if they are testing a map in the editor