forum

FPS counter isn't so subtle anymore.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Airee
Problem Details:

fps counter isn't very subtle anymore, settings out of date.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3646799
note the bottom right corner fps counter, this is in fact a part of osu! as it reacts to the in game frame limit.
also note the settings text, it's not very subtle anymore.

osu! version: 20150904.8beta
MillhioreF
It is still fairly subtle (the top counter disappears after a few seconds of getting full FPS) and I don't honestly find it that much more distracting than the old one. There are still improvements I'd like to see (dimming the counters during gameplay would probably help) but that's why it's still in CE/beta and not in stable yet.

Also remember that you're perfectly free to turn of the FPS counter entirely if you don't care about seeing your framerate or any stutters.
Trosk-
I didn't completely understand what you are trying to say...

Are you saying that the name of the option is wrong? Because I don't think that it is actually wrong.

It is still a FPS counter, but it works a bit differently as the old one. You should take a look to this.
peppy
You can toggle it off in the options.
Topic Starter
Airee
That's not the issue, peppy.
The reason I'm making the post is to mention the fact that the counter isn't subtle anymore, and uses a bit of screen space.
Topic Starter
Airee

MillhioreF wrote:

It is still fairly subtle (the top counter disappears after a few seconds of getting full FPS) and I don't honestly find it that much more distracting than the old one. There are still improvements I'd like to see (dimming the counters during gameplay would probably help) but that's why it's still in CE/beta and not in stable yet.

Also remember that you're perfectly free to turn of the FPS counter entirely if you don't care about seeing your framerate or any stutters.
is correct in understanding my question, by the way.
Topic Starter
Airee
i'm bumping this because some time ago this was resolved for no reason
Death

peppy wrote:

I'm not really sure what else to say other than this?

The new fps counter takes more space than the from three years ago, but only by a small amount. I'm don't see how this is not resolved. I think it's clear the new design is intentional, and is probably staying for the rest of this client's remaining time. As stated earlier you can turn it off, it's not absolutely necessary to have the counter on at all times.
Topic Starter
Airee

Death wrote:

peppy wrote:

I'm not really sure what else to say other than this?

The new fps counter takes more space than the from three years ago, but only by a small amount. I'm don't see how this is not resolved. I think it's clear the new design is intentional, and is probably staying for the rest of this client's remaining time. As stated earlier you can turn it off, it's not absolutely necessary to have the counter on at all times.

The FPS counter isn't the problem, it's the wording of the hover text on the option!

If you read the OP text carefully, it states that the settings are out of date.
I totally love the new FPS counter design, but it would be incorrect to claim that it is a SUBTLE fps counter as the settings text does claim.
I'm suggesting the language of the option be changed, not the FPS counter its self.
Death
Does the hover text on the option really bother you that much? It's completely arguable that the fps counter IS subtle. I don't see any need for this to change, and I highly doubt it ever will be changed.
7ambda
The colors are too bright compared with the background. Could do better with some opacity.
Topic Starter
Airee

Death wrote:

Does the hover text on the option really bother you that much? It's completely arguable that the fps counter IS subtle. I don't see any need for this to change, and I highly doubt it ever will be changed.

Yeah, because it's not true. It's not necessary, just like how a recode of the osu! client is not necessary. It'd totally be nice, though.

J_8579 wrote:

The colors are too bright compared with the background. Could do better with some opacity.

This isn't a discussion on the FPS counter, it's a discussion on the game's settings.
Death
Key phrase, "It's completely arguable that the fps counter is subtle".

If one word is really bothering you that much, don't open your options menu at all.