11.51%
Side reading
30.94%
Use both, depends on situation
57.55%
Total votes: 139
Topic Starter
Vesrand
1) In most cases I concentrate on each note i'm pressing while trying to notice all other notes that appeared after. I call this direct-reading and this lets me ensure that i hit every note unless I lose my concentration.
2) But when map becomes faster and jumps becomes bigger I cant concentrate on each note. Instead I remembering all appeared notes while looking on last appeared one or somewhere in the middle of screen. I call this side-reading (its probably what you call sightreading but i'm not sure what sightreading actually is) and this makes my aim and accuracy even better but i cant be sure i'll hit every note. It's more like playing with hidden.

So what style is better? Or should I develop both skills?
Also describe your style.

P.S. Just look at my profile guys! I'm progressing! Lol I didnt moved up in ranks since ppv2 released and now i'm actually progressing. Oh my god!
-Makishima S-
Instead I remembering all appeared notes while looking on last appeared one or somewhere in the middle of screen. I call this side-reading (its probably what you call sightreading but i'm not sure what sightreading actually is) and this makes my aim and accuracy even better but i cant be sure i'll hit every note. It's more like playing with hidden.
For me personaly, centring eyes on screen while trying to hit high spaced jumps is a bad habit, you are more likely vulnerable for missing / loosing acc (maps like Remote Control / Airman / Maffalada starts to be hard to play). By my logic, you base your aim on muscle memory, not pure reading and knowing where is each circle.

I have same problem and honestly, after button mashing it's second bad habit very hard to remove and fix.

Personaly, having follow points and threating them in mind like "they gives more points" so almost perfectly following them helps a bit but while i was making small arc's, it require to change a bit muscle memory.
Poku
I mostly Side/Sigh read *however that's called*,
I use imaginary quarters on my pc screen and I just kinda get the feel of where to go.
I can't direct read, it hurts my eyes :(
Topic Starter
Vesrand
Added a poll. Also I forgot to mention that my choise also depends on AR. Lower AR makes me use direct reading. While at AR9.7+ i tend to look at last appeared note.

So actually question is every time i have to switch to side-reading style - does it mean that map is too hard for me? Or i'm doing allright and thats how fast jumpy/high AR maps should be played?
Soweon
Obviously it depends on the situation. On slower maps direct-reading, on faster maps side-reading.

Sight-reading is when you've never played a beatmap before, playing it entirely based on sight and no memorisation is involved. At least, that's what it meant in Guitar Hero. ^^
The Gambler
Since I mash a lot of 10.3 maps, direct reading becomes extremely slow to process in the heat of the moment. Side-reading it is.
Endaris
Sightreading is something different.
And the further is better but it's legitimate to do the latter on maps you can't do otherwise.
Vuelo Eluko
third option

limiting yourself is never a good thing to do as a player
Reyvateil
The usual is being aware of two circles of a time, the one you're hitting now and the next one. I forced my self to learn this as it makes reading patterns such as stars, squares and triangles much less confusing. But when the density or spacing are too high, the only way of hitting objects is identifying patterns as a whole and hitting them by muscle memory.
KanoSet
i don't think about it and i don't think it's a good idea to do so
ZenithPhantasm
If theres alot of notes at the same time I blankly stare at my monitor. If its 2-3 or less at a time my eyes locks onto each individual note.
I Give Up
Don't think. Push button. Believe.
B1rd
If you need advice about where to look at on the screen while you're playing you're doing something very wrong as a player.
pandaBee
Wow people do different things for different situations? Who woulda thought :roll: :idea:
Gumpy
Gameplay & Rankings the place of quality questions!
Topic Starter
Vesrand
I can't stop thinking about it. It's like the only thing i'm thinking about while playing.
Gumpy
Don't think about
ZenithPhantasm

Vesrand wrote:

I can't stop thinking about it. It's like the only thing i'm thinking about while playing.
Don't think. Push buttons. Believe.
Risa
G & R shitposts too stronk. Im not the first to say that and i wont be the last

I think i use option 2 almost all the time.
Better first tries and overall consistency.
And i almost never retry a map consecutively more than 2x