forum

How does taiko ranking work?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sublime
Hi, I'm an osu standard player and new to taiko. I know accuracy is more important that combo on taiko, but I'm just wondering if it is really that much of a difference. The multipliers are the same...but someone did mention something about converted maps.

https://gyazo.com/dc96611a8055c09ecb16d98c3b7cefd3

I'm just baffled because someone has 89% with a B no mod and is on top 50 while I did DT with a "respectable" 96%?
So, what am I missing here?
Raiden
Probably Sliders/Long spinners they are shorter with DT and thus award less points

It is. In taiko the most weighted things when it comes to pp is Accuracy and Misses. A 98% FC gives less pp than a 99% 1x miss, regardless of where the miss is.

Also, converted maps are the maps which are designed to be played in osu!standard but people play them in Taiko mode (most of them are broken since they don't follow at all the Ranking Criteria).

So yeah if you want to get good at TAiko you have to play taiko specific diffs to learn different patterns.
roufou
@raiden: p sure he's talking about ranked score, not pp

combo is a lot more important for ranked score than accuracy, you can easily get 90% probably and just beat a 200 combo 97% score with like 500 combo.

as for your score raiden covered that, DT makes spinners award less points, also maybe you didn't hit big notes and less drumrolls/sliders
Topic Starter
Sublime

Raiden wrote:

Probably Sliders/Long spinners they are shorter with DT and thus award less points

It is. In taiko the most weighted things when it comes to pp is Accuracy and Misses. A 98% FC gives less pp than a 99% 1x miss, regardless of where the miss is.

Also, converted maps are the maps which are designed to be played in osu!standard but people play them in Taiko mode (most of them are broken since they don't follow at all the Ranking Criteria).

So yeah if you want to get good at TAiko you have to play taiko specific diffs to learn different patterns.
Thanks for the understanding. If that's the case, I have way more accuracy than that other guy and deserve to be on there.

agu wrote:

@raiden: p sure he's talking about ranked score, not pp

combo is a lot more important for ranked score than accuracy, you can easily get 90% probably and just beat a 200 combo 97% score with like 500 combo.

as for your score raiden covered that, DT makes spinners award less points, also maybe you didn't hit big notes and less drumrolls/sliders
My bad; I was talking about both I guess. I still don't understand if accuracy is important then why I'm not even on the top 50 list.
Same combo (131 FC) except I have much better accuracy and used a DT mod giving 1.12x multiplier.
Maybe cuz it was converted or some dumb reason.

Sorry for the rant...I just feel like I didn't get what I deserved plus osu standard settings are fucked so I can't play anymore.
Appelkatt
Certain converted maps (or really easy Futsuu/Kantan maps) can actually give a higher overall score if a player uses HT, because it extends drumrolls, therefore giving more points. In this particular case, it seems like HT is just enough of a points reduction that it makes it score less than No Mod, but DT doesn't add enough score to be worth the lost points. You shouldn't feel cheated by it, or anything - it's likely you got notably more pp for your play than many of those No Mod scores, as 96% with DT is certainly a respectable start for someone with so few plays in the mode.

However, that map serves as a good example as to why you should avoid standard converted maps - at least at earlier difficulties. For learning and getting good at taiko, you'll want to search for taiko maps that are of either Kantan or Futsuu difficulty to start out with, and try to progress to Muzukashii as soon as you feel comfortable. If you're playing with KD DK keybinds (like the default zxcv), try to alternate hands for every note, even when you don't have to. Otherwise, have fun and don't worry about the scoreboards too much.
Topic Starter
Sublime

Appelkatt wrote:

Certain converted maps (or really easy Futsuu/Kantan maps) can actually give a higher overall score if a player uses HT, because it extends drumrolls, therefore giving more points. In this particular case, it seems like HT is just enough of a points reduction that it makes it score less than No Mod, but DT doesn't add enough score to be worth the lost points. You shouldn't feel cheated by it, or anything - it's likely you got notably more pp for your play than many of those No Mod scores, as 96% with DT is certainly a respectable start for someone with so few plays in the mode.

However, that map serves as a good example as to why you should avoid standard converted maps - at least at earlier difficulties. For learning and getting good at taiko, you'll want to search for taiko maps that are of either Kantan or Futsuu difficulty to start out with, and try to progress to Muzukashii as soon as you feel comfortable. If you're playing with KD DK keybinds (like the default zxcv), try to alternate hands for every note, even when you don't have to. Otherwise, have fun and don't worry about the scoreboards too much.
I appreciate the reply! I'm having trouble finding easy maps on taiko. Any recommendations? All I see are muzukashii and oni. Also, on drum rolls, my keys don't register each hit...even if I don't spam and go slow; something seems wrong there. Thanks for the explanation. I'll try alternating but even in standard I didn't alternate until I was comfortable so I'll get comfortable first.
CuticleThong
So... a certain converts orz
Easy std become futsuu, normals come to muzukashii w/o 1/4 beats, hards can become muzukashii, kantan oni (lit. Easy oni) or absurdly coming oni due of hitsounds each circles or amounts of short sliders in std

But those can give you an absurd pp instead of specific taiko maps. I also agree what Appelkatt says.

Honestly converted maps is sucks to play IMO
Appelkatt

darklime wrote:

Appelkatt wrote:

I appreciate the reply! I'm having trouble finding easy maps on taiko. Any recommendations? All I see are muzukashii and oni. Also, on drum rolls, my keys don't register each hit...even if I don't spam and go slow; something seems wrong there. Thanks for the explanation. I'll try alternating but even in standard I didn't alternate until I was comfortable so I'll get comfortable first.
The TBT Project has a few low level maps, as well as some training courses for basic patterns you can expect. Overall, there are few Futsuu maps, which is why I suggest pushing to Muzukashii as soon as possible.

Drum rolls require you to roll at what's referred to as 1/4 speed, which means 4 Notes per 1 Beat. If you're familiar with reading sheet music, this is rhythmically equivalent to sixteenths. Additionally, in keeping with the focus on accuracy, the timing threshold seems to be slightly more lenient than scoring a 300 (Perfect) but stricter than scoring a 100 (Good). In short: You can't spam, you have to beat rhythmically. In most skins, you can see tick marks showing when pressing will give you score. It's definitely a lot harder than it might seem.

I suggest getting into the habit of fully alternating early, because it's the easiest time to do so, and it can save you some trouble in the future. You certainly still have plenty of flexibility, and ultimately you won't make any bad habits that you can't fix with practice, so it's more just something to keep in mind to try and help you in the future.

Good luck!
ikin5050
That convert in particular has a lot of drumrolls and in DT they're harder to hit and get all the points on so say you get 7x300 points off a drumroll the guy with a b perhaps got 13x300 points of a drumroll, so tat's 1800 points more than you and your 1.12x multiplier can't compensate for that in such a shortt map
Catgirl

If you're playing easy/normal converts on Taiko, the first place I would look is global rankings and see what the max combo is on the map. If the map has a really low max combo then it was composed of mostly long sliders which get converted into drumrolls. Drumrolls can be good for training accuracy on 1/4s but give no bonus to anything but score. As far as I know they are not a factor for pp either.

Converted easy/normal maps that have a fairly high max combo will have almost no drumrolls most of the time, which make them much better for getting better at the game. They can be good but I still recommend playing Kantan/Futsuu because they're made specifically for Taiko and are much better maps.

Generally the higher difficulty you get to on converts, the less fun they are on Taiko because the patterns are either too repetitive or make no sense (taiko maps are converted entirely based on hitsounds). There are some exceptions but if you really want to get better you'll want to play Taiko-specific maps as early as possible.

but if you really want pp then you should play converts because so many of them are overweighted and give a ton of ranks with almost no skill