forum

Multiplayer Replay/Spectate [CtB, Mania, Taiko]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
abraker
There had been several requests to play along side ghosts, but non really mention spectating or replaying the ghosts that much. So this request aims to do the following:
  1. Allow players to spectate a multiplayer match. This can be done through the multiplayer screen or if the player decides to skip a map
  2. Allow players to watch a replay of a multiplayer match. The links to the replays would be found on the multiplayer room webpage. This would also allows us to see the winning tournament matches

Mechanics:

Standard: [DUPE]
Such replay would show multiple cursors for each player. The "active" cursor would be highlighted with a user defined color (skin.ini?), while the rest would be grayish. By clicking on players in the scoreboards, you can switch which player's cursor is highlighted.

Mania:
Not sure, still thinking. Got ideas?

Taiko:
Not sure, still thinking. Got ideas?

Ctb:
The ryuuta can be substituted for a horizontal "paddle". There would be multiple paddles and much like in standard mode, clicking on the player on the scoreboard would highlight that paddle.

dead duplicate: t/142231/
misunderstood duplicate: t/207112
Rilene
Yes, yes and yes.
Vesrand
I'd give this my vote but I already wasted all votes.
Remyria
I'm totally against for now.

1. You can already watch a multiplayer match with a special version of the game(I don't know exactly the name, i'm lazy), but need perms. And you need perms for a good reason: it uses much ressources to spec. for example 8 people...8 times the normal amount. Imagine if there are like 500 players doing that.

2. Replays of multiplayer matches would just take too much space in the database.
Vesrand

Remyria wrote:

1. You can already watch a multiplayer match with a special version of the game(I don't know exactly the name, i'm lazy), but need perms. And you need perms for a good reason: it uses much ressources to spec. for example 8 people...8 times the normal amount. Imagine if there are like 500 players doing that.

2. Replays of multiplayer matches would just take too much space in the database.
We're living in 21st century. Cmon. Its the age of 5000 kb/sec streams.
Remyria

Vesrand wrote:

Remyria wrote:

I'm not talking about internet in general(btw I have 60% of loading time on 5mb/s+ streams), i'm talking about Osu!, they made it clear they can't YET at least, with various replies on feature requests. Maybe i'm just too stupid to understand.

Also, if you don't remember, Cookiezi broke bancho with over a thousand specs a while ago...even if the server's better, what do you think will happens with many times that? imagine if there's a match with 16 top players, and I don't know...let's say 2K people wanna see that, I think it takes a bit more ressources :D while your "5mb/s stream" is 1 person sending to a server, then the server sends a copy to everyone, correct me if you work for twitch or something else.
Bara-
Topic Starter
abraker

Baraatje123 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/13008 ?
Shit... will post the first thread and my responses to the criticism in that as soon as this is marked as dupe.

Remyria wrote:

This is not split screen liike the tournament client. You see ONE instance of the map and multiple instances of movable player objects (cursor, ryuuta, etc). I don't see that taking too much resources. The max number of players in a room possible is 16. Where are you getting 500 players from?

Vesrand wrote:

The max data rate for spectating multiplayer would be 4 bytes * 2 (cursor x,y pos would take most data) * 16 players + (let's assume 128 bytes overhead) at 60 times per second +additional mp match data (lets say 4 kb/s) = 27,040 bytes which would be roughly 27 kb/s in, while the current doesn't go above 4kb/s average according to me observations with process explorer. This is a VERY ROUGH and INACCURATE estimate, but it should NEVER reach more than 64 kb/s unless you are updating osu! 5000 kb/s is a HUGE overestimation.

Remyria wrote:

The replays would be located on the match information page on the web. As you might know, it becomes unavailable after a certain time. I only see final stage tournament matches worth keeping, which would be link to via badges on players' profiles.
Remyria

abraker wrote:

The max number of players in a room possible is 16. Where are you getting 500 players from?
500 spectators
Topic Starter
abraker

Remyria wrote:

abraker wrote:

The max number of players in a room possible is 16. Where are you getting 500 players from?
500 spectators
500 spectators @ the roughly estimated data rate of 64 kb/s is about 32 mb/s. Not even close to osu! server capacity. It would take about 10 - 50 times more than that to start slowing it down. Osu! peaks with 20,000 players online as of these days. If all 20k players started spectating at once, then that might cause a problem: 1.3 Gb/s. That's the worst case and an upper estimate, however.
Euphi
If it is inspired by the video, do you see accuracy (50, 100, button overlay etc.) and score from the highlighted player or do you think the scoreboard provides good enough information.
If you do not see them as usual maybe score and accuracy should be added for spectators in the scoreboard, no matter what the win condition of the room is.
Topic Starter
abraker
The linked thread is a dupe of the standard gamemode part of the suggestion. I'm refocusing this thread more towards other modes (CtB, mania taiko).

marziale wrote:

If it is inspired by the video, do you see accuracy (50, 100, button overlay etc.) and score from the highlighted player or do you think the scoreboard provides good enough information.
If you do not see them as usual maybe score and accuracy should be added for spectators in the scoreboard, no matter what the win condition of the room is.
Scoreboard would show the scores like usual, and showing them in the area for the highlighted player