forum

Hitsounds based on keytaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
ruikoH
What the title says. Instead of sounding when we hit the note, it sounds when we hit the key in general.

It'd be nice if the two keys had independent hitsounds :)

Edit:
LOL I was way too unclear. I'd like there to be an option to override map hitsounds to have a taiko-styled gameplay in osu standard. Instead of sounding whenever there's a note under our cursor when we click, it always sounds when we click regardless of whether or not you're clicking anything.

Like taiko, the two keys will have independent hitsounds, since (and this was my primary motivation for this) if you're playing a stream map, you'll have an idea of where every half beat is in a stream (if streams are 1/4 beats) if z sounds slightly softer than x, or vice versa.

Or we can just get different sounding mechanical keys and scrap hitsounds altogether.
Bara-
Oh dear no
Mahogany
Please god no
Bara-
Also, this'll be a pain in the ass for mappers, due to having multiple hitsound tracks this way
And as mappers will be the one to take care of hitsounds, I never think this can work at all
Heck already hitsounding a 1 min Insane takes me 20/30 minutes, don't even start on multiple key-tap-tracks
abraker
This idea can be revisited whenever the editor will get a hitsound editing revamp.
Topic Starter
ruikoH
ehh I wasn't thinking about the mapping aspect.. It would just be nice to hear our own fingers instead of hearing sounds whenever there happens to be a note underneath.

Ex. If I hit x, it'll make a sound, and if I hit z, it'll make another! :D
Exa

ruikoH wrote:

ehh I wasn't thinking about the mapping aspect.. It would just be nice to hear our own fingers instead of hearing sounds whenever there happens to be a note underneath.

Ex. If I hit x, it'll make a sound, and if I hit z, it'll make another! :D
Hitsoundsing is not based on how the player interacts with the song.
It's based on how the hitobjects you've placed interact with it, if the player has no way of a affecting the hitobjects (other than not playing them), there is no need to affect the hitsounds either.
Topic Starter
ruikoH
Ehh. I thought it would be helpful to make x and z have a different sound as to help with streaming
Rilene

ruikoH wrote:

Ehh. I thought it would be helpful to make x and z have a different sound as to help with streaming
Sounds nice, but there must be a toggle, and the sound must not replace hitsounds.
Exa

ruikoH wrote:

Usually there are claps/whistles on every 2nd note when it comes to streams, this is precisely to help with streaming.
Mappers do the work for you :)
Bara-
Every 2nd?
Usually 1 every 8 notes, 12 in the case of 1/6, and 16 in the case of a faintdrumroll
PieInOblivion
Straight away after reading this.. (Trying not to sound mean or offensive)
EWW, EWW ,EWW, NO, NO, NO, *Closes Tab*

Seriously, I don't think there is a need for this. I don't think to myself while playing Osu!,
'You know what, this map needs more loud click sounds and deafening tones when streaming so I can't hear the song, I want that so badly'

But also what Exa said.

Exa wrote:

Mappers do the work for you
AND, what if your not clicking in-time, you could get the hit-sound and the cursor-sound confused and start really getting your timing wrong.
Exa

Baraatje123 wrote:

Every 2nd?
Usually 1 every 8 notes, 12 in the case of 1/6, and 16 in the case of a faintdrumroll
Not everyone hitsounds the same and it also highly depends on what the song provides you with as well.
I am not talking about the 1/1 (maybe 2/1 if BPM is doubled) claps.
The Gambler
So something like Taiko? (hitting the key regardless of note produces sound?)

Would be feasible it if were not for the pain it takes to put hitsounds on a map.

Plus it adds a bit of lag for lower-end systems due to more processing power required to play additional note.
PieInOblivion

The Gambler wrote:

Plus it adds a bit of lag for lower-end systems due to more processing power required to play additional note.
Something like this would use close to nothing and definitely wouldn't choke a system. To make it easier, maybe an option to lower the playback quality for just the hitsounds to something like... 16Bits, 96000Hz which would keep CPU load at a minimal still.

None the less, I still disagree with this.
Topic Starter
ruikoH

The Gambler wrote:

So something like Taiko
Yea, exactly like taiko.

The Gambler wrote:

Would be feasible it if were not for the pain it takes to put hitsounds on a map.
I wouldn't know lol I can't map, but it could override the mapset sounds with the two sound files in the skin of the player? Having the mappers alter the sound once more with this feature would be 1. redundant and 2. it might make a feature like this pointless because the main reason I wanted this was so that I could hear my x from my z, and mappers might make the two sounds so similar that I can't tell the difference.
PieInOblivion

ruikoH wrote:

The Gambler wrote:

So something like Taiko
Yea, exactly like taiko.

The Gambler wrote:

I wouldn't know lol I can't map, but it could override the mapset sounds with the two sound files in the skin of the player? Having the mappers alter the sound once more with this feature would be 1. redundant and 2. it might make a feature like this pointless because the main reason I wanted this was so that I could hear my x from my z, and mappers might make the two sounds so similar that I can't tell the difference.
Ok if we are going to over-ride the actual hitsounds of the map, then I definitely don't agree with this.
Niroe
Hey, Sorry for my bad english :/

I have an idea, if the mapper decide a sounds for a note like clap, depanding on wich key you hit, it would remain a clap, but it will be differant, like normal-hitclap and normal-hitclap2

For forced hitsounds for the map, it would remain the same with both key
Exa

Niroe wrote:

Hey, Sorry for my bad english :/

I have an idea, if the mapper decide a sounds for a note like clap, depanding on wich key you hit, it would remain a clap, but it will be differant, like normal-hitclap and normal-hitclap2

For forced hitsounds for the map, it would remain the same with both key
Not sure if I understood well but that's still not a good idea. There are people who single tap and people who alternate; there is no reason for these people to play the song differently.
Bara-
Wouldn't work out well due to different samplesets already giving different sounds
Topic Starter
ruikoH

Exa wrote:

There are people who single tap and people who alternate; there is no reason for these people to play the song differently.

PieInOblivion wrote:

Ok if we are going to over-ride the actual hitsounds of the map, then I definitely don't agree with this.
I'm saying forced hitsounding could be an option to turn on or off. LOL sorry I've never said I wanted it to be a permanent change, that would destroy the works of like all the mappers ever :c. But yea, it'd be nice to have an option like that.

Niroe wrote:

it would remain the same with both key
Then what would be the point :/ For me, I want one of them to sound while the other stays soft so that I know where every eighth note is in a stream. That way I can get better at streaming.
Bara-
So is it a editor thing, or a personal thing?
I'm getting confused now
Topic Starter
ruikoH
It's a practice thing