forum

[resolved] Problem setting up a custom resolution

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Miharu
Problem Details:
Custom resolution isn't actually applied to osu in fullscreen mode. Osu! shows that I am currently in the custom resolution, but there are actually no changes. When I take a screenshot, the screenshot is shown at resolution of 1280x720, not the custom resolution that I set.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

↑ says it is in 1024x576, but this screenshot is actually 1280x720

osu! version: 20150826.3 (latest)
Trosk-
Does osu! change its resolution if you select another one or it is stuck?
Topic Starter
Miharu
It does change when I select other resolutions; it is only custom resolution I'm having problem with.
VeilStar
If you can switch to other resolutions just fine you might not be able to change to that custom resolution when running in fullscreen.
(Display and/or GPU doesn't support it.)

It seems that the stable release stream doesn't handle the inability to use the entered resolution well.
I'm getting the same issue as you for a custom resolution that I can't actually use in the Stable release stream.

You can only do either of the following things:
- Switch over to the Beta or Cutting Edge release stream and use letterboxing in addition to fullscreen to be able to use your custom resolution.
- Play in windowed mode.
- Pick a custom resolution that is supported by your display and gpu.
Topic Starter
Miharu

VeilStar wrote:

You can only do either of the following things:
- Switch over to the Beta or Cutting Edge release stream and use letterboxing in addition to fullscreen to be able to use your custom resolution.
- Play in windowed mode.
- Pick a custom resolution that is supported by your display and gpu.
Thank you for your help VeilStar, but my intention of setting up a custom resolution while in fullscreen is to simply increase my fps (by setting up a lower resolution) while having same display set-ups. I therefore cannot help but eliminate first and second option you suggested.

Regarding the third option, how are you supposed to know your custom resolution supported by display and gpu?
VeilStar
Anything that you can select in windows or your graphics control panel should work. I don't know of any other way to check this.
Trosk-

Miharu wrote:

Regarding the third option, how are you supposed to know your custom resolution supported by display and gpu?
It should appear on your GPU drivers.

Also, some GPU drivers have an option to create custom resolutions. If you create a custom resolution on your drivers and then select it on osu!, maybe that could work.

What GPU do you have?
Topic Starter
Miharu

VeilStar wrote:

Anything that you can select in windows or your graphics control panel should work. I don't know of any other way to check this.
I see. The lowest 16:9 resolution that my windows can set is 1280x720. This might be why it wasn't working.

Trosk- wrote:

What GPU do you have?
I am currently using NVDIA GT630M. Would this be able to create a custom resolution?
Trosk-

Miharu wrote:

I am currently using NVDIA GT630M. Would this be able to create a custom resolution?
If you have the NVidia drivers installed, right click on the desktop and open the NVidia control panel. Then, go to the "Change resolution" menu and you should have a button named "customize". Go into that menu and then click the button "Create custom resolution". Select the horizontal and vertical pixels and don't change the other options.

That should create another resolution for your PC.

Topic Starter
Miharu
Since my laptop is using "Optimus" option which sets Intel HD4000 as default graphic and selectively uses GT630M, I only have 3D options in my NVIDIA control panel.

Is there any custom resolution option for Intel graphics? If there is none, it seems like I have to give up on this issue until I get a new computer.
Trosk-
If you have Intel drivers installed, open the Intel options (if I'm not wrong, it's named Intel HD Graphics control panel) and, if it's supported by that "Optimus" feature, you should have an option named "Custom Resolutions" on the "Display" dropdown menu. Then you can create a custom resolution there, if I remember correctly.

If you don't have that option, then I don't think that you can create a custom resolution.
Topic Starter
Miharu
Alright, made a custom resolution that is same to the osu custom resolution that I set.

Now, what should I do with it? The control panel doesn't seem to include the custom resolution I made - Is there any additional steps?

Trosk-
If you saved your resolution properly, the resolution should appear on the Windows screen settings as an available resolution. For example, I just created a 1800x1013 resolution (It's not a default resolution), and it appears on Windows:

And because of that, it appears in osu! (You should restart osu! to be able to select the resolution):

Topic Starter
Miharu
Although the custom resolution I set does not show up on Windows, now the custom resolution I set in osu is correctly applied.
Thank you very much Trosk- and Veilstar, for your patient and constant help.
Trosk-

Miharu wrote:

Although the custom resolution I set does not show up on Windows, now the custom resolution I set in osu is correctly applied.
Thank you very much Trosk- and Veilstar, for your patient and constant help.
I'm glad it works now. :P

Marking as resolved.