forum

Accuracy, how do I improve it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zTk11z
Hey, I know the first thing most of you will say to this is most likely "play more", but after reading others posts first as well as the forum guides to accuracy before posting this and applying what I read to the best of my abilities I am seeing very little change if not a decrease in my accuracy as I "play more" of osu! I have the biggest problem with accuracy mainly with two things: triples and doubles. My steaming isn't too bad but I'm not concerned with this, as my accuracy is actually getting better as I "Play more" for these . Triples I get 100's on about 80% of them and doubles I get 100's/50's about 99% of the time and it seems this has always been a problem :/ The rest of my accuracy is for other features in most beatmaps could also be better though. So now you've heard my life story and probably tl;dr-ed I ask do you please any suggestions, maps or ways of practice which could help me remedy my accuracy? :P
pandaBee

generic poster wrote:

I'm bad at X, how do I get better at X?

Play more maps with X

The five minutes you spent thinking up and writing that post could have been spent playing more of X maps.
Endaris
There are like 3 things that can kill your accuracy:
Bad technique
Bad reading
Overall uncertainty/inconsistence vs higher OD

I'm deadtired to I'll just link you the very few I always link on this occasion:

For Triples:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/16409 Hard+Insane Diff
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/42034 Insane Diff, also valuable for reading
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/235477

For Doubles:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/140217&m=1 any diff

For reading just play as many different maps as possible and try to get good acc on them. You can also use EZ-mod to turn every map into a reading-challenge.
Minhtam

zTk11z wrote:

Hey, I know the first thing most of you will say to this is most likely "play more", but after reading others posts first as well as the forum guides to accuracy before posting this and applying what I read to the best of my abilities I am seeing very little change if not a decrease in my accuracy as I "play more" of osu! I have the biggest problem with accuracy mainly with two things: triples and doubles. My steaming isn't too bad but I'm not concerned with this, as my accuracy is actually getting better as I "Play more" for these . Triples I get 100's on about 80% of them and doubles I get 100's/50's about 99% of the time and it seems this has always been a problem :/ The rest of my accuracy is for other features in most beatmaps could also be better though. So now you've heard my life story and probably tl;dr-ed I ask do you please any suggestions, maps or ways of practice which could help me remedy my accuracy? :P
The answer really is "play more". It's probably not what you want to hear, but it's the right answer.

The real question is "Play what?" That's the key to figure out this whole accuracy deal.

If your goal is to consistently acc, then the first thing you should do is to stay away from songs that you cannot consistently FC. Seriously - if your best performance in a song is an A rank achieved at most a month ago, you probably shouldn't be playing it. What you should do is focus on achieving SS ranks on Easy songs (OD 3 or OD 4). If a song you're playing is boring, then play a different song of similar star difficulty. Once that becomes too easy to do, head onto the Normals for some OD 4 and OD 5 and try to SS those. Then head to the hard difficulties and try to SS OD 6 songs (but not OD 7).

Once you consistently SS OD 6 songs, start attempting the OD 7's (and yes, SS ranks on OD 7 are freaking hard, thank you for asking). You will find improvement in your accuracy in doing so.
-JaZe-

Minhtam wrote:

SS ranks on OD 7 are freaking hard
u wot

I don't think anybody who thinks this is qualified to give advice on acc

Recommendations to the OP:

Make hitsounds louder and music softer. It'll be much more obvious when your tapping is inconsistent.

Use hit error (if you aren't already). This is mostly helpful when you have single notes. Hit the note, and guess if you were early, perfect, or late. Look at the hit error to see if it matches your guess. If your guess is wrong, adjust your internal timing to match.

Care intensely about each note that you mistime. This isn't just for 100s and 50s. Osu is absurdly generous in what it gives a full score, especially OD8 and under. If you force yourself to distinguish between good and bad timing, your ears will become more and more sensitive to the difference.

Do not mash, and do not play maps that force you to mash in order to pass. This is usually the reason people come to the forums asking why they can't acc. They learned how to pass 6 star songs with 80% acc and are confused when they try to 99% 4 star songs and can't. Avoid this.

I will admit that none of this advice is particularly fun to follow, but these are the things that worked for me. Good luck
Deva
It doesnt matter if you use hitsounds or not, thats just a preference.
It doesnt matter if you use hit error either.

The most important part of "play more" is that you know exactly what you are doing while playing more.
Increasing your accuracy isnt fun because you literally have to grind it.
Play maps that are 0,2-0.3* bellow what you can FC and try really hard to look at every circle. Repeat the process until your accuracy starts improving.
Raniemi
* If you can't even singletap consistently yet, you might want to work on that first

Triplets are basically two singletaps filled by alternating in between.
To practice this, I guess you can try recreating your Z-X-Z or X-Z-X alternations as a way to make the spacing in each tap more consistent.
Once you get a hang of triplets, doubles are just triplets without the second singletap

I was going to post a little more but they're already in -JaZe-'s post ;)
KanoSet

pandaBee wrote:

generic poster wrote:

I'm bad at X, how do I get better at X?

Play more maps with X

The five minutes you spent thinking up and writing that post could have been spent playing more of X maps.
one more point.. triples and doubles and streams.. they all follow the rhythm
listen carefully it helps a lot
-sev

HK_ wrote:

It doesnt matter if you use hitsounds or not, thats just a preference.
the mania subforum is two blocks away
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
Explosive Fart
He helps
Explosive Fart
Hardrock*
-JaZe-

Raniemi wrote:

I was going to post a little more but they're already in -JaZe-'s post ;)
Funny thing, I was going to add "and ask Raniemi for more tips", but I got lazy and didn't bother editing it in
GoldenWolf
Play even more
I Give Up
Getting good quality sound system or headphones really help. Also sitting in the correct posture, chair/desk hight and peripheral positioning. Drink lots of water, eat healthy and get full sleep.
chainpullz

GoldenWolf wrote:

Play even more
Don't forget to play odd more too. Lest you develop an unbalanced skillset.
pandaBee
Assuming that you are playing more than 0 times, For any 2*k maps played, where k is an integer, there will have been at least 2*k-1 maps played as well. So You are playing more odd and even. No need to distinguish one from the other.
Daborgia
Something which helped me is to play maps with AR, that are way too slow for you.

F.E:

You normally play Ar9 or Ar8 + DT. Then switch off DT and try to focus on every note on AR8. When you miss, deal with it, just go for Accuracy ( Unstable Rate).

Another Example: You are playing Ar7...Then go to Ar5-6.

Why?: Because most Players are just smashing their buttons and dont focus on things like timing or Rhythm and then when you continue to smash you begin to blindly tap. Thats the Moment when Misses or bad timing comes in place.
Skeleton-Jelly

KukiMonster wrote:

Getting good quality sound system or headphones really help. Also sitting in the correct posture, chair/desk hight and peripheral positioning. Drink lots of water, eat healthy and get full sleep.
This just sounds like "how to be healthy" in general. Fair enough. Take care of your body before you take care of your pp addiction.
E m i

Skeleton-Jelly wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

This just sounds like "how to be healthy" in general. Fair enough. Take care of your body before you take care of your pp addiction.
It's overlooked a lot :^)
ZenithPhantasm
erom yalP
-sev
Just DO IT
chainpullz

Skeleton-Jelly wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

It's a negative feedback loop if you don't prioritize health.
repr1se

zTk11z wrote:

Hey, I know the first thing most of you will say to this is most likely "play more", but after reading others posts first as well as the forum guides to accuracy before posting this and applying what I read to the best of my abilities I am seeing very little change if not a decrease in my accuracy as I "play more" of osu!
Fair enough. You might be playing the wrong way. Simply "playing more" doesn't always help.

I have the biggest problem with accuracy mainly with two things: triples and doubles. My steaming isn't too bad but I'm not concerned with this, as my accuracy is actually getting better as I "Play more" for these.
There's something wrong with this. Players generally don't get good at streams until they've mastered triples (doubles are another story). Is there something that's off with your streams? Not to doubt, but just to be sure.

Triples I get 100's on about 80% of them and doubles I get 100's/50's about 99% of the time and it seems this has always been a problem :/ The rest of my accuracy is for other features in most beatmaps could also be better though.
Just to emphasize the above question.

So now you've heard my life story and probably tl;dr-ed I ask do you please any suggestions, maps or ways of practice which could help me remedy my accuracy? :P
Play maps with triples and doubles with Half Time. Streams build off of triples and doubles, so you have to fix your foundation before you build your tower. Play slower or easier maps and really focus on hitting every note precisely to the point of redundancy. Accuracy is about being exact with all the notes. Don't mash the keys.

Hope this helps. If you'd like you can PM me (ingame or out of game) if you have any questions.
ZenithPhantasm

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more