forum

Noticed Something about Cursor Trails

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Violet-Fox
When I am using my other monitor and bring my cursor back to osu! I notice the cursor trail looks different for a few seconds

Anyone prefer this over the usual trail that just makes a bunch of dots?

Kyonko Hizara
One of your monitors has a higher refresh rate than the other.
Ayachi Meme
do you mean, like, when you minimize osu and go back, its super smooth? like, the trail? if so, ive always wondered the same thing :p
Granger
Theres a way to make the cursors always have smooth trails trough skinning but i forgot how. The cursor i use always has the smooth trail.
B1rd
have cursormiddle.png I think
deadbeat
cursormiddle.png changes the behaviour in a different way. it makes the cursortrail small. like how the default skin looks
DEAR SPARK
Bump cause I really need to know this
Syphist
When osu is not on top it runs at 30 fps. When it is on top it runs at full speed. The second picture is of the game running at 30 fps, however when you select the window it starts running at a higher fps. I think this is what OP is referring to.
DEAR SPARK

Syphist wrote:

When osu is not on top it runs at 30 fps. When it is on top it runs at full speed. The second picture is of the game running at 30 fps, however when you select the window it starts running at a higher fps. I think this is what OP is referring to.
Wrong.

Syphist

SCV wrote:

Syphist wrote:

Wrong.

Then it is the monitor. It has a higher refresh rate.
Nuolong

SCV wrote:

Syphist wrote:

Wrong.

Stop making me cry by seeing your fps number ;w;
my slow ass computer gets jealous
a1l2d3r4e5d6

Syphist wrote:

I don't think that the monitor's refresh rate has anything to do with a software's frame rate.

NolanM wrote:

You should see the new computers that my college recently ordered. 1000fps. :v
Syphist

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

Syphist wrote:

I don't think that the monitor's refresh rate has anything to do with a software's frame rate.
Well if it only changes when using a different monitor, then it is the monitor. It's either fps based, or based on the monitor's refresh rate, and if it isn't the game's framerate, then it is the monitor refresh rate.
DEAR SPARK

Syphist wrote:

Well if it only changes when using a different monitor, then it is the monitor. It's either fps based, or based on the monitor's refresh rate, and if it isn't the game's framerate, then it is the monitor refresh rate.
Calling bullshit cause there are skins with smooth cursors, we just haven't had the answer in this thread and Googling it is too vague to give answers to this so we need somebody who skins or something to tell us what this is.

NolanM wrote:

SCV wrote:

Wrong.

Actually my PC was only about $250 to build (G3258 and GTX 650). CPU is a bottleneck for osu! and I pull about 2,400 fps on cutting edge which made my GPU overheat so I had to cap it
Reyvateil
I think I know what he is talking about. I play windowed, when osu isn't the active window the cursor trail becomes super smooth when moving the mouse over the osu window, the moment I select the window it becomes the usual spaced circles.

I don't think it's related to refresh rate or fps as my PC currently reaches over 4k fps and I'm using a 144 Hz monitor at the moment.
E m i
Yes it's not even related to the refresh rate or fps.
I play in fullscreen and usually (i think not always) this happens when i alt-tab and
unalt-tab?
abraker
Just out of curiosity, does the same behavior hold true in cutting edge?
sand sentinel
There is a way to get a trail like that by simply copying your cursor.png and renaming it to cursormiddle.
E m i

abraker wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does the same behavior hold true in cutting edge?
seemingly no :o :o
DEAR SPARK

sand sentinel wrote:

There is a way to get a trail like that by simply copying your cursor.png and renaming it to cursormiddle.
Tried this, it just makes the trail really long.