you should feel ashamed of yourself
Too bad I don't.
Anyways gl to all playing today.
kouzuki_karen
wow rebel

anyway, will add thoughts about this round's maps later
Topic Starter
Jaye
Day 1 of Group Stage was great! Feel free to follow the match standings for results, found in the Challonge link provided at the top of this thread. HYPE for tomorrow?!
kouzuki_karen
editor thoughts - Dumpling map selector
Hi, I'm -[ Dumpling ]- (previously known as "mrdumpling64"). I was invited to participate as a beatmap selector for the ausu!Taiko Tournament.

Overall, I'm pleased with the beatmaps that dajayeway, Pew and myself selected for the first stage (Group Stage) as they cater nicely to the varying skill levels of the contestants. Of course, there were constraints as the overall skill of taiko players is not that high, so the first few stages of the tournament must be easier.

As a beatmap selector, I focused more on introducing less well known but nevertheless well-mapped beatmaps into the mappool. Specifically, my picks were XROSS INFECTION, Omokage Warp, Storm World and Magnolia.

I found it appropriate to choose XROSS as a no-mod pick as it is a challenge, and in a sense distinguishes players who can advance through the tournament to those that will most likely struggle to play beyond a basic stage. Though it is a Muzu, the fast-paced nature of the song can make it easy for players to lose accuracy here and there, and that can really make a difference between winning and losing a stage. Senritsu mapped this difficulty really nicely for such a fast-paced song, and I had no problem suggesting this beatmap to the team.

Omokage Warp is one of my favourites from Ishida, and I chose it as a HR pick. Though it is Futsuu, the >200bpm nature of the song can be challenging to players who struggle to grasp the basics of HR. In my opinion HardRock is a mix between reaction (due to the increased scroll speed), accuracy (due to increased OD) and memorisation (maybe not so much, but it can help as players can prepare to hit certain notes at certain times, thus increasing accuracy and more or less eliminating the reaction part).

Storm World is a great map from Firce. Again I chose it as a HR pick, but due to the reduced bpm of 175 it is more to help a losing player catch up :P Still, Firce maps Storm World really well, the choice of note positioning and colour really matches the background music and players shouldn't have any problem getting maximum accuracy despite the use of HR.

Finally, Magnolia was the DT suggestion I contributed to the mappool. DoubleTime is risky considering the skill level of most players in Group Stage (ie: no stamina monocolour streams or maps which pretty much require full alternating, since DT can really raise the skill and speed required to play a map. Example: 160bpm with DT is already 240). Regardless, JUDY maps the beats in Magnolia really well, and I had no problem with introducing Futsuu as a suggestion to the other beatmap selectors, since the mapper covers the basic beats really well without overmap, which can cause a problem as a DT pick.

Watching a few of the streams, I can tell that we as beatmap selectors have made a good choice with the mappool, as for the most part the contestants were able to pass/FC the maps easily. I'm excited to see what the harder stages will bring.
Topic Starter
Jaye
Round of 16 match times are out! I hear that a lot of people really hate the mappool, that's a good sign.
Synnical

dajayeway wrote:

Round of 16 match times are out! I hear that a lot of people really hate the mappool, that's a good sign.
Wouldn't be proud of that fact but that's just me
Topic Starter
Jaye

Synnical wrote:

dajayeway wrote:

It's good because it's my job to make you suffer with cancerous SV maps that force HD.
kouzuki_karen

Synnical wrote:

dajayeway wrote:

Also don't forget it's my job to spam you guys maps that are pure agony for your eyes when played with HR. 8^)
Synnical
Welp. Have fun with that.
Topic Starter
Jaye
Quarter Finals this weekend, good luck to those that can play the pool and those that can't.
PotassiumF

dajayeway wrote:

and those that can't.
hahaha...ha.......... :(
Synnical

dajayeway wrote:

Quarter Finals this weekend, good luck to those that can play the pool and those that can't.
Don't need luck when you know it's going to be a one sided affair.
PatTeachesOsu
Sorry was busy with assignments last week and I'm going out tmrw so I won't be able to play :cry:
Topic Starter
Jaye

PatTeachesOsu wrote:

Sorry was busy with assignments last week and I'm going out tmrw so I won't be able to play :cry:
or you could just organise a reschedule with your opponent :L
andrew000000
Turtles, I like them
Nwolf
>less well-known maps
>magnolia and storm world

Dumpling pls : D
Topic Starter
Jaye
Semi Finals pool is out. It hasn't been tested and I'm too lazy to do so, so enjoy?
andrew000000
Can't check the maps right now, is Synnical rip?
Topic Starter
Jaye
Sorry for the delay, but the Match Schedule for the Semi Finals is now up!
Topic Starter
Jaye
Due to several people clearly struggling with the Semi Finals pool (because let's be honest, it's pretty horrible), we have decided to have the first lot of Loser Bracket matches use the Quarter Finals pool instead. This means all Saturday matches will use the Quarter Final pool, and all Sunday matches will use the Semi Final pool. If any players have any questions or concerns related to this, please PM me.
Synnical

andrew000000 wrote:

Can't check the maps right now, is Synnical rip?
If the latest news is anything to go by, I heard that he is rip.
Topic Starter
Jaye
3rd of October: Stream will begin an hour later due to match rescheduling.
Where's the finals pool? >:)
Topic Starter
Jaye

TitansHD wrote:

Where's the finals pool? >:)
Right there B^) Enjoy cancer
Topic Starter
Jaye
Grand Finals time! I know all hype for this tournament is dead but someone's gotta have faith?
Backfire
do ur best freidn.
andrew000000
Just want to thank everyone involved with this tournament, organizers and players alike. Thanks for creating and running a great tournament and ensuring everything went smoothly. A few people had issues with the maps selected but I thought the selectors did a good job (except that shitty pokemon map). Congrats to Spirits, well deserved win, just a level above the competition.

Hope to see everyone again in the next tournament.
Topic Starter
Jaye
I'd like to thank all who registered and participated. The tournament was more successful than I had expected which was an accomplishment itself. I apologise for cancerous mappools, but to be honest it was hilarious... Since I'd feel slack not awarding prizes, the staff and I are deciding on what to provide for our top three competitors. Thanks for playing!
Kind of late but thank you Jaye for organizing everything. you took your time out of "busy schedule" to organize this for us. And your reward? Definitely our thanks to you. Grats to Andrew and Spirits for 2nd and 1st.