Topic Starter
Rilene

deadbeat wrote:

what makes you think it is?
In one plug.dj channel
People there mainly put all songs which is non-electronic
And when I put one electronic songs...

Instant "meh" (or dislike).
Even just a first few seconds of the song.
Kyonko Hizara
Would this be better off here?
Shohei Ohtani
Because 1 plug.dj room is completely representative of the entire music world

That's moreso of an issue of the people you're plug.djing with. You're assuming that everyone likes electronic music, and that if not everyone likes it, then it must be being oppressed in some way.

that'd be like if I plug.dj'd with my mom (who's into 80's music) and put on some metal. She'd skip it, but it doesn't mean it's underrated, it means that she doesn't like that

or it could be entirely possible that they just didn't like you and skipped anything you put on
CuticleThong
I think EDM still not underrated bcuz Japanese music artist were taking the EDM genre in this time

But how about western EDM, which it still underrated than J-EDMs
Topic Starter
Rilene

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Would this be better off here?
I guess so.

Reditum wrote:

Because 1 plug.dj room is completely representative of the entire music world

That's moreso of an issue of the people you're plug.djing with. You're assuming that everyone likes electronic music, and that if not everyone likes it, then it must be being oppressed in some way.

that'd be like if I plug.dj'd with my mom (who's into 80's music) and put on some metal. She'd skip it, but it doesn't mean it's underrated, it means that she doesn't like that

or it could be entirely possible that they just didn't like you and skipped anything you put on
Well, that's kinda right about the second paragraph and third paragraph, and first paragraph.
Some part of the electronic musics is overrated, some part of it is underrated, also applies to English pop, Japan pop and rock, Korean pop and every other genre.

But it feels really strange to see that they disliked the song on the first few seconds of the songs, literally just 0:03 and they hated it.
It's like eating a pizza crust, but not pizza toppings. (just a comparison)

I guess last paragraph is also true for me, only applies to one person though.

I hope I don't get your point wrong.

CuticleThong wrote:

I think EDM still not underrated bcuz Japanese music artist were taking the EDM genre in this time.

But how about western EDM, which it still underrated than J-EDMs
Sounds true, I've noticed that too, sometime western EDM is underrated.
But J-EDM is underrated too, not as western though.

Just some part on the community though, so can't confirm is it worldwide yet.
joi-
Electronic music is good but it's far from being underrated, more like it's everywhere and it's the "new big thing" everyone seems to like.

That's just what I've experienced.
E m i
how can music be underrated, it's just fundamentally impossible
CuticleThong

Sirade wrote:

Sounds true, I've noticed that too, sometime western EDM is underrated.
But J-EDM is underrated too, not as western though..
Well... sometimes J-EDMs (either its from Touhou arranges or original mixes) are more than underrated compared than any genre. I think because these ppls out there love something faster (or fasterer) like hardcore, such J-Core and this kind are well dominating in Japan because they love a fast paced raves, meanwhile EDMs (electro house, dubstep, etc) have a stable rave, about 140-180 BPMs (?)

I think heavy dubstep ("hardcore" version of dubstep which possess drops and wobbles) also underrated too (eh? How about U1 overground's Dopamine and Warak's Reanimate)

Momiji wrote:

Perhaps, thats why. Orz
Manysi
true, people are way too picky with some electronic music genres

Momiji wrote:

well, its relative to everyone
Topic Starter
Rilene

Momiji wrote:

lmao, I mean specific genres of it, not entire music in general

joi- wrote:

Electronic music is good but it's far from being underrated, more like it's everywhere and it's the "new big thing" everyone seems to like.

That's just what I've experienced.
Agree, but still, those people who doesn't listen to electronic hates it as if it is a cancer.
I know it is matter of opinion, but they seem to "react that they dislike it", more than "how much they disliked it".

I hope you know what I mean.
deletemyaccount
music taste is purely subjective, most hipsters will automatically dismiss anything that isn't in their scope of 'good music' as shit.

this has been the norm for the past century
joi-

Sirade wrote:

Agree, but still, those people who doesn't listen to electronic hates it as if it is a cancer.
I know it is matter of opinion, but they seem to "react that they dislike it", more than "how much they disliked it".

I hope you know what I mean.
I think I do. But I think that happens with many other genres too.

Philantropist wrote:

music taste is purely subjective, most hipsters will automatically dismiss anything that isn't in their scope of 'good music' as shit.

And this so much.
Topic Starter
Rilene

Philantropist wrote:

Agree.
Because closed-minded people.
Railey2

Momiji wrote:

If it can be rated, it can also be underrated. All you need is a scale. Or, well, two scales, since "underrated" implies a comparison.

On topic: What are your scales? I assume that you mean something like, how "good" EDM is vs. how much attention it gets? What do you mean by underrated?
Sanxu_old

Sirade wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

what makes you think it is?
I went to this one plug.dj room that was made by people who were in the mood for non-electronic music and they didn't want to listen to this one generic wub tune I put up. Ergo, all electronic music is disliked and underrated
Not sure I follow
jessukaru
Eh. A lot of genres - excluding pop - these days are "underrated".
All my schoolmates listen to is pop. It's exhausting.
CuticleThong

jessukaru wrote:

Pop are still mainstream-rated, alongside with rap, and hip-hop. I also like pop sometimes

On-topic: I think the the DnB and Dubbie were underrated, trance and electro house is common, and some hardcore are overrated (only in osu! because there is tons of HC in each mania maps orz)
Shohei Ohtani

jessukaru wrote:

Wow man omg i cant believe people listen to mainstream stuff ugh i was born in the wrong generation" - You right now.

If you want underrated music try checking out any classically-styles composer past Stravinsky or Bartok (Film score composers dont count. Or Phillip Glass because fuck Phillip Glass)
Topic Starter
Rilene

Railey2 wrote:

What are your scales? I assume that you mean something like, how "good" EDM is vs. how much attention it gets? What do you mean by underrated?
Like they react too much about how they dislike it, more than their thoughts.

Attention usually does not affect opinion, in general.
Railey2

Sirade wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

What are your scales? I assume that you mean something like, how "good" EDM is vs. how much attention it gets? What do you mean by underrated?
Like they react too much about how they dislike it, more than their thoughts.

Attention usually does not affect opinion, in general.
If social psychology taught me anything, it is that people will willingly abandon their own opinion for picking up a public one, even if the public opinion is obviously wrong and horrendously stupid. How much attention something gets, is very important for a normal persons decision making and preferences.

If I get you right, you are describing the phenomenon of Group polarization. Individuals within the group, and also the group as a whole, will react more extreme than an isolated individual. This happens for a variety of reasons, but the biggest reason in my opinion is, that the individual wants to be accepted and be perceived in a favorable way by their group (also known as "social comparison theory" - straight outta wikipedia).

So, the public opinion of your plug.dj-group was, that EDM is not so cool. Then it escalated, because every member of that group desired to follow this opinion, which consecutively led to group polarization.
If you were to chat with one of them privately, they would probably just say that they don't like EDM, but within the group they will say that its absolutely utter shit.
Topic Starter
Rilene

Railey2 wrote:

If social psychology taught me anything, it is that people will willingly abandon their own opinion for picking up a public one, even if the public opinion is obviously wrong and horrendously stupid. How much attention something gets, is very important for a normal persons decision making and preferences.

If I get you right, you are describing the phenomenon of Group polarization. Individuals within the group, and also the group as a whole, will react more extreme than an isolated individual. This happens for a variety of reasons, but the biggest reason in my opinion is, that the individual wants to be accepted and be perceived in a favorable way by their group (also known as "social comparison theory" - straight outta wikipedia).

So, the public opinion of your plug.dj-group was, that EDM is not so cool. Then it escalated, because every member of that group desired to follow this opinion, which consecutively led to group polarization.
If you were to chat with one of them privately, they would probably just say that they don't like EDM, but within the group they will say that its absolutely utter shit.
Wow, never know that, I guess that is all right.