forum

Improved/Updated Tutorial Section

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
Topic Starter
DW10
Hi, I haven't found much of a duplicate for this idea (please correct me :o). So I was thinking of implementing a tutorial section button in the main menu (maybe under the edit section?) Pressing this will open a new interface. Here's a VERY VERY rough sketch:

So the right side is the preview pane of what you learn, and the left side is the selection area which can scroll for extra tutorials, if needed (why i scribbled black on the left). Tutorials will include:

1. Basic - Standard (this elements of std)
2. Basic - Taiko (includes all elements of taiko)
3. Basic - Mania (includes basics of mania, also 4k, 5k, etc.)
4. Basic - Catch the Beat (includes basics of CtB and dash mechanic)
5. Playstyles (mouse, mouse/keyboard, tablet, tablet/keyboard, etc. will include all modes)
6. Gameplay Elements (AR, OD, HP, CS, Star Rating, elaborates on HP bars for each mode)
7. Mods (goes through each mod, explaining them all)
8. Advanced Standard - Streaming (alternate between two buttons, play when better)
9. Advanced Standard - Jumping (move faster, play when better)
10. Advanced Standard - Noticing Patterns (square patterns are hard, and so are a few more, play when better)
11. Advanced Taiko - Streaming(?) (Alternate between two keys, I don't play taiko enough to know what it's called)
12. Advanced Mania - Uhmm I'm not sure what to put here
13. Advanced Catch the Beat - Impossible Jumps (red fruit)
14. Basic - Editor (starting up: drag and drop song, time it right, etc.)
15. Editor - Compose (all of compose tab)
16. Editor - Storyboarding (design tab)
17. Editor - Timing (elaborates more on bpm switching, kiai time, etc.)
18. Editor - Song Setup (elaborates on other tabs)
19. Misc. - History of osu! (name speaks for itself)
20. Final Review (like a test to make sure you're good?)

I've been trying to work on a tutorial like this, but I'm HORRIBLE at storyboarding, so yeah. I'll give up and stick with this. -DW10
Bara-
This would actually be much better then peppy's map
However, a link to Osu!Academy is good enough IMO
Topic Starter
DW10

Baraatje123 wrote:

This would actually be much better then peppy's map
However, a link to Osu!Academy is good enough IMO
Some people understand more info through playing it physically, not just watching a video. Plus, this is inside osu!, making it convenient for all.
Ameth Rianno
Yeah, better for people that asking "hao 2 plae std pl0x"

Edit: I bet this will be happened in the osu!next. (idk thou)
Rilene
Would be nice to have so.

If anyone is going make a tutorial mapset.
PM me, for any modes. (everyone can do >*1 diff on all modes, lmao)
drum drum
VeilStar

DW10 wrote:

1. Basic - Standard (this elements of std)
2. Basic - Taiko (includes all elements of taiko)
3. Basic - Mania (includes basics of mania, also 4k, 5k, etc.)
4. Basic - Catch the Beat (includes basics of CtB and dash mechanic)
I agree with having up-to-date tutorial/introduction maps on all gamemodes. +1 for this part.

DW10 wrote:

5. Playstyles (mouse, mouse/keyboard, tablet, tablet/keyboard, etc. will include all modes)
6. Gameplay Elements (AR, OD, HP, CS, Star Rating, elaborates on HP bars for each mode)
7. Mods (goes through each mod, explaining them all)
This is osu!academy-like stuff. 5 would be rather easy to explain and is already explained at the osu!academy. I really don't see a need for this, to be honest. 6 and 7 would go way too much in depth. For 7 the tooltips are a fine explanation and simply enabling it and seeing what it does usually grants a beginner enough of an idea. Alternatively the wiki is also a good place to go in-depth.

DW10 wrote:

8. Advanced Standard - Streaming (alternate between two buttons, play when better)
9. Advanced Standard - Jumping (move faster, play when better)
10. Advanced Standard - Noticing Patterns (square patterns are hard, and so are a few more, play when better)
11. Advanced Taiko - Streaming(?) (Alternate between two keys, I don't play taiko enough to know what it's called)
12. Advanced Mania - Uhmm I'm not sure what to put here
13. Advanced Catch the Beat - Impossible Jumps (red fruit)
Nope. Gameplay elements are basically identical to even the easiest maps. A tutorial is supposed to get a beginner going without being confused as to what to do. This should be learned through experience.

DW10 wrote:

14. Basic - Editor (starting up: drag and drop song, time it right, etc.)
15. Editor - Compose (all of compose tab)
16. Editor - Storyboarding (design tab)
17. Editor - Timing (elaborates more on bpm switching, kiai time, etc.)
18. Editor - Song Setup (elaborates on other tabs)
19. Misc. - History of osu! (name speaks for itself)
20. Final Review (like a test to make sure you're good?)
This is academy/wiki-grade stuff aswell. The amount of depth there is too this is too much for a tutorial. This would be a full on course of at least multiple hours. For a basic tutorial the academy is (once again) the place to go to. If anything a quick overview and explanation in either a video or text format could be linked to somewhere inside the editor.
TL;DR: Most of this is too in-depth to be a tutorial.
Okoratu
Having tutorial maps for all gamemodes would be great

The rest is rather unnecessary fot a tutorial section ingame Ill agree with veilstar here
- Sugoi Sugoi -
1. already exists i think? >.>
Granger
Rilene

Granger wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/19928 :D
Doesn't have all gamemodes.
Brandiz
Good idea!
Caaarrrlll-Sama
This is actually a very good idea, also the tutorial needs to be reworked for newer skins, I got friends of mine to play OSU and gave them skins right off the bad and then the tutorial glitched out with them. Adding maps in the tutorial for all game modes could also be a great idea :D
Nanosinix
This is a great idea, since it helps new players if they don't really like standard. I like both Mania and Standard but I never really learned how to play other modes properly such as CTB (Still confuses me :( ), so this would be GREAT to have in Osu! :)

Also,

Vvvventer wrote:

This is actually a very good idea, also the tutorial needs to be reworked for newer skins, I got friends of mine to play OSU and gave them skins right off the bad and then the tutorial glitched out with them. Adding maps in the tutorial for all game modes could also be a great idea :D
If you don't understand why, this is what I think causes it (Or maybe something similar?):
The reason why the tutorial glitches out is because the tutorial in the songs file has its own skin, meaning if you have one that isn't default it wont work.
Topic Starter
DW10
I was thinking about adding to this, but I didn't want to necro. Looks like it's back.

Maybe a few achievements can be added?
XinCrin
Or we could read the wiki (?. I don't know just saying
Nanosinix

XinCrin wrote:

Or we could read the wiki (?. I don't know just saying

Thing is, new players probably wouldnt think to check the wiki, they would probably expect the game to teach them how to play and thats it.
Unfortunatly Osu! doesn't have a tutorial properly for the other modes, so it leaves players having to test the other modes with no clue of what they are doing.

That is, if they don't have experience with the mode from other games.
Flanster
I am actually thinking of making a new tutorial beatmap from scratch, concept below.
Topic Starter
DW10
I've been working on one. Then I quit making it.. like a few months ago. Check the OP at the end. *cough*