forum

[Rule Change] Lowest diff must be below 2.0 stars(Taiko&ctb)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito

Ranking Criteria wrote:

1. The difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order. Easy or Normal can be skipped if the gap in the star rating spread allows it. The order can be seen in the chart below. If your mapset has two difficulties, one of them cannot be an Insane or Expert. The lowest difficulty must be below 2.0 stars. The difficulty level of Taiko-specific and osu!mania-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread and might contain an Hard/Insane only, if there are standard difficulties present. In CtB, the spread evaluation is upon the BNs discretion. The difficulty spread is determined by the map's star rating. A map falls under a certain difficulty when having a specific star rating:

Below 1.5: Easy
    Below 2.25: Normal
    Below 3.75: Hard
    Below 5.25: Insane
    Above 5.25: Expert
As current rule in dependence of the SR system is stated, it is not beneficial for the game mode Taiko with its broken SR (not sure about ctb and mania). Nowadays due to a better understading from side of the mapper as in, how to handle taiko sets with their spreads and difficulty, they start to map songs which are more complicated in beatsnapping or have a higher BPM. Those sets are often fine, especially spreadwise, and lower diffs have according to the pace of the song a sufficient and appropriate difficulty. But due to the broken SR, these difficulties are rulewise not seen as appropriate and makes mapping because of this to a burden and insufficient. Given examples:
  1. LindaAI-CUE - Norudon2000 BPM 200, Kantan rated as 2.06. Due to faster BPM, the simple structure of the Kantan is seen as over 2*.
  2. cranky - X-Y-Z BPM 145, Futsuu as previous Kantan, rated as 2.26 because of odd patterns which are due to the song / vocalist.
In both cases, the difficulty has been lowered in level already and yet, still isn't sufficient for the RC. Lowering difficulties even more would lead to having too less notes which do not fit to the song's pace anymore. It becomes even more problematic when considering the spread. We are forced to map under 2*, so that means, if we have for example a 2.06* and 3.06* diff, Kantan would need to be about 1.06* which is in terms of mapping ridiculous, since it would lead to 4/1 and 8/1 beat placements, which is exeggerated in itself and doesn't fit to the song as well.

My purpose is to either state in the rule that modes like Taiko are excluded of this or change the Rule to a Guideline for the other game modes beside osu!. I would prefer the latter if it is important to keep it consistent and fair among all game modes. Else, if the danger of osu! becoming problems by this is too big, first solution can be taken and QAT of the specific gamemode handle this.

Since there won't be any pp change for Taiko any soon, I see this rule change as essential because it goes against the purpose we actually try to achieve: Having well spreaded and appropriate difficulties.

For more information, please visiti this page: p/4439894
Current draft: p/4602106
Raiden
Yes, yes and thousands of times yes. The SR in Taiko (specially low difficulties) makes no sense at all. It does not rate density, it does rate beat snappings. A 180 bpm with few 3/2s in a Kantan (which are totally necessary due to the nature of a song) is harder in terms of SR than a 220 bpm Kantan mainly snapped to main beats?? That doesn't make any sense.

This rule, in my view, disables songs with weird rhythms (such as Breakcore) from being mapped since an easy difficulty cannot be made below 2* without losing a considerable amount of quality.

+1000000 Ono and Gezo
Dark Espeon
Hoo boy! Finally, more rules for ranking taiko maps! Maybe now we'll finally have more mods.
HashishKabob
This makes complete sense. It's very challenging to map easy diffs that fit into the current criteria, whilst also being viable in terms of actual difficulty spread. It almost forces mappers to create difficulties that fit the criteria, instead of creating maps that have smooth bridges from one difficulty into the next. It's extremely challenging for a mapper like myself to determine which is the appropriate course of action: do I map to create difficulties fitting to the song, or do I map to create star ratings for difficulties to fit ranking criteria? Not an easy choice to make. Not a wise choice to make.
Bara-
I know I once mapped a 150 3:18 min Futsuu
300 objects, kiai had quite some 3/4, it became over 3 stars. It was just 0.05 less then muzu, which had almost 700 notes, mostly 1/2 triplets and 1/2 "streams"
YES PLEASE
Luvdic
This seems to be a problem more related to the star rating system rather than the ranking criteria itself. Just saying this from what I have read in this thread about the odd behaviour of the way star difficulty is calculated. May I ask why taiko pp cant be changed any time soon?
Recipient
I thought Mania was the only gamemode with a good-for-nothing SR system, but I guess I was wrong.
Shohei Ohtani
Please keep posts in here to actual discussion, not just snarky side comments [/MicroModding]

Anyways, i feel this should be a guideline. It happens in osu!standard in the opposite way, where the lowest difficulty is under 2 stars, but is unsuitable for the lowest diff. BN, in a system that actually works, SHOULD be able to generally determine if a diff is too hard or easy for players in relation to the son. Otherwise they shouldnt be in a position to rank maps.

2.0 is a good guideline to set, but if a map is easy enough and determined so by the QAT and BNs, there should be mo reason to restrict it.
Yuzeyun
Mania's SR is heavily keycount-dependant. CTB is correct in terms of lower diffs though (Krah told me).

As the one who brought the topic (along with Raiden) about this, I think this starts to be a very huge problem. I've detailed why such things happen easily for easier difficulties, that makes them impossible to fit under the current criterion, especially if the song is fast, and has non-standard beats. Some songs are almost forced to have no diffs below 2.0 stars due to the way they're constructed, without ruining either the quality or the spread. I currently do not have a good rewording in mind, but it would be something along these lines:

The lowest difficulty must be below 2.0 stars, with the exception of Taiko mode. The difficulty level of Taiko and osu!mania-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread and might contain an Hard/Insane only, if there are standard difficulties present. In CtB, the spread evaluation is upon the BNs discretion. In Taiko, the lowest difficulty may be above 2.0 stars if the spread is well-designed enough and is easy enough for a beginner.

Not the best proposal I have ever done, but I think you get the idea.
Spy
Mania with Star rating is broken, honestly.
Yuzeyun
If you can provide examples on how Mania's star rating is broken about easier difficulties, we might extend to other modes.
OzzyOzrock
RIP [Shoshinsha] hahaha.
MMzz
In terms of taiko, not any other game modes. SR is absolutely broken at low levels. 1/2 rhythm and 3/4 gaps are weighted too heavily and can take your map from a 1.50 too a 2.00 in 2 or 3 patterns.

2.00 can be a guideline, but if we want a definitive number, under 2.25 should be fine until taiko SR is fixed.
Mercurial
Rule? Hell no.

Guideline? Yes, no problem with that.
Luvdic
I still don´t understand why the star rating calculation can´t be changed instead of the rules. Anyone care to elaborate on this please?
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
@Xanandra: There are other projects like osu!next or the ranking system with higher priority. Hence, I purpose for the time being either a rule change or the change into a guideline for Taiko.
ZiRoX

_Gezo_ wrote:

Mania's SR is heavily keycount-dependant. CTB is correct in terms of lower diffs though (Krah told me).

As the one who brought the topic (along with Raiden) about this, I think this starts to be a very huge problem. I've detailed why such things happen easily for easier difficulties, that makes them impossible to fit under the current criterion, especially if the song is fast, and has non-standard beats. Some songs are almost forced to have no diffs below 2.0 stars due to the way they're constructed, without ruining either the quality or the spread. I currently do not have a good rewording in mind, but it would be something along these lines:

The lowest difficulty must be below 2.0 stars, with the exception of Taiko mode. The difficulty level of Taiko and osu!mania-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread and might contain an Hard/Insane only, if there are standard difficulties present. In CtB, the spread evaluation is upon the BNs discretion. In Taiko, the lowest difficulty may be above 2.0 stars if the spread is well-designed enough and is easy enough for a beginner.

Not the best proposal I have ever done, but I think you get the idea.
Since this concerns general Ranking Criteria, here's my little addition:

The lowest difficulty must be below 2.0 stars, with the exception of Taiko and Catch the Beat modes The difficulty level of Taiko and osu!mania-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread and might contain an Hard/Insane only, if there are standard difficulties present. In CtB, the spread evaluation is upon the BNs discretion. In Taiko, the lowest difficulty may be above 2.0 stars if the spread is well-designed enough and is easy enough for a beginner.

Currently, the 2.0 stars minimum doesn't apply to CtB, so it should be stated as an exception too. It also adds more consistency to the rule regarding CtB spreads.
Marirose
Mania with Star rating is broken, honestly.
↑yes
Yuzeyun
Waiting for examples on why Mania star rating is broken, these are sayings devoid of proof. Taiko has been proven and CTB has already a RC regarding difficulty spread.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito

_Gezo_ wrote:

Waiting for examples on why Mania star rating is broken, these are sayings devoid of proof. Taiko has been proven and CTB has already a RC regarding difficulty spread.
Krah

_Gezo_ wrote:

CTB is correct in terms of lower diffs though (Krah told me).
Not exactly
CtB sr is correct for lower diffs when you have to compare them.
But the number itself is still broken and tend to be more than what it should be and it's why the 2stars isn't a rule for us.
-Squishy

_Gezo_ wrote:

I find this quite hilarious. You want an example on both ends of the spectrum?

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/310593 = 7 star map, should be worth 1-2 stars

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/372569&m=3 i dare u to try and pass this 0 star song with ht+ez
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/153743 maybe something alittle bit easier?

bottom line, do your research before posting.
lemonguy

_Gezo_ wrote:

Are you kidding me? Mania is by far the most broken in terms of star rating. Let's compare some maps for a sec:
Speedcore 300: 5.79*
The Empress: 5.81*
Speedcore 300 is S rankable by decent mania players, and the only aspect of the song is how fast you can mash. The Empress is S rankable by only the best 4k players. In the time that it was qualified, very few players had S ranks, and there were even very few A ranks. Taking myself for an example, I can gt 98.5% on Speedcore 300, but only 87% on The Empress. Need more examples?
Everlasting Message: 5.35*, Baby Sweet Berry Love (3R2 Remix): 5.31*
Fiat Lux: 5.19*
Everlasting Message is a 7k map that can be S ranked by people who barely even play 7k. Baby Sweet Berry Love is also a very easy 7k map that again, non experienced 7k players can score high on. Both of these maps are very overrated because they have a large number of 4-5 note chords (everlasting Message) or very simple dense patterns (Baby Sweet Berry Love). Fiat Lux on the other hand, is tough to even get an A rank on. Only very skilled 7k players can S rank it. It is full of very difficult patterns at 200 bpm.

If this isn't convincing enough, I could list off a bunch more ranked maps. Oh, and should I bring up unranked maps?
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/530698&m=3
The 4k map of this set is 7.3*, but most of the song consists of spamming jumptrills (which btw inflate the star rating a LOT).

If you want me to bring up more examples, I will.

Also I can confirm that the 7* map that SquishyKorean brought up is insanely easy and realistically only 2* in diff. It is all 7 note chords, which inflate the sr. Mania sr is determined by density of notes, not difficulty of patterns.
show more