forum

[duplicate] Synchronizing multiple clients' playbacks

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Manivela
Let me start off with this, I don't actually think this is a necessary feature but, I'm curious as to how hard it would be to implement something like this.
basically the idea is to have multiple osu! clients be at the same point of a song so when you have 2 or more computers/phones in a room they don't sound completely out of sync. I know a good example for this is the Group Play on Samsung phones but I don't know if they are doing some hardware wizardry to make this happen or if it's just a matter of coding.

Weairng headphones is a good way to play with multiple people in a room already but, it would be interesting to hear the song at the same time. :D
abalabahaha
Different computers will always have different latencies to the osu!servers. So if they wanted to synchronize, the computers would have to collectively agree upon a time to start/resume playback, and even with that there's also the issue of computer clocks being out of sync. Samsung Group Play sounds like it's done locally over WiFi or Bluetooth, so latency is near zero.
Topic Starter
Manivela
alright, so would it be possible to do this over LAN? maybe local multiplayer?
XinCrin
Local multiplayer will never come true at least for now
Demmon
"Never" "at least for now"

You know, when you are playing in multiplayer the game try to do that, obviously. And btw, local multiplayer is for sure possible since we did it at japan expo 2014 with peppy (well peppy did it) and i'm pretty sure i saw messages of him about that local multiplayer, I don't remember if it was something negative or positive so don't yell at me please ;)
Topic Starter
Manivela
It's nice to know that it's been done before, maybe when they have free time maybe they'll look into this, as i said though it's not really necessary and it won't beneift a large enough player base that I don't even know if it's worth implementing.
Howl
As it hasn't been mentioned here - peppy also answered a similar question on the osu!dev slack. iirc, he said he is planning on make a sort of system of local multiplayer - although this will not disconnect the clients from the osu! server, as scores will still be delivered and recorded.
XPJ38
Moved to Feature requests.
drum drum