forum

Do i retry too much?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cyron
If you look at my play count it is actually a lot bigger than most players my rank. I rarely play multiplayer and never play offline. And does pressing retry without playing the song count as a play? (I ussualy spam it when at the beginning of a song when i'm looking at the other monitor and don't want to star the song just yet)
Yolshka
No. I have a big playcount too.

Honestly, play count is nothing to be worried about.

I usually play the whole map, then quit at the very end, just to save myself from spamming that map later to get better rank.

I acutally perform worse if i retry a lot.

Retrying is bad, not because of your playcount, but because it just doesn't help. If the beatmap is hopeless retrying a lot won't help that much(there are exceptions).

And there is the danger of bad habits, which you'll just have to get rid of later. Like there are maps that you were trying a lot , and now you can't FC and don't understand why, even though you have the skill to do so. I say forget these maps, come back later.

But you know, misses happen here and there.

Push that retry button without fear, as much as you want, just don't retry maps immediately that you wouldn't be able FC anyway, because then you might as well play it till the end.

Do not care what the others have to say about your playcount, good luck!

But this is just my opinion...
autoteleology
I just posted this in another thread and it fits here, so copypasta:

The best way to play a song is to play it fresh. I usually find I do my best on my first few attempts - everything after that ends up being spam. The more you retry, the more you learn, but the chances of making stupid ass mistakes and learning bad habits rises exponenntially with each retry (especially if you're not even completing the song on each try). Also you stop having fun and start to get frustrated which is never helpful.

How do I know? It took me literally five hundred "tries" to SS THIS on Hidden. By the end, because of my bad retry habits, this song was giving me straight up neurosis. This song isn't even that hard, I just ended up psyching myself out after playing it for so long. It was so bad that at the end I was getting a 100 on the first note half of my attempts, which is just sad.
pandaBee
Didn't you make this same thread the other day? Heck, don't we get this thread everyday xd

Stop worrying about your PC or hits, all that matters is if you want to improve, keep practicing. Slow and steady. And ofc by practice I mean actual practice, and not just fucking around.
meteor22
If you don't retry a map at least 1000 times then you don't retry enough.

Just watch pro players like rrtyui, WWW.
Shota
Look at my PC on CTB and STD, at times I feel like crap due to it.. Well daily I do. But try your best not to let it get to you. Play as much as you want, everyone learns at different paces. I happen to learn slower than others due to my hard headed outlook on mods.
GoldenWolf
Does it matter at all?
Topic Starter
Cyron
I don't think it matters but it's weird when you see guys with less PC than me who are 1k or higher.
GoldenWolf
No it's not; everyone progress at different paces. You have your own, and they have theirs.
This also shows how meaningless playcount is, since you only need to play a map for 10 seconds or having 10k score to count as play.
SpringVine

xVortexXz wrote:

I don't think it matters but it's weird when you see guys with less PC than me who are 1k or higher.
Most of the players that with lower playcount than you and are higher than 1K are offline players/players who were banned/multi acc/experienced with rhythm games (tho I think it possible to reach that rank without these)
I don't think you should overthink about playcount overall
However, don't retry too much,especially on maps that are hard for ya. You will just develop bad habits and screw up your muscle memory
Bauxe
People care too much about their stats.
Endaris
Yes. You always retry too much.
I recommend playing multiplayer to break the habit.
VirtualMuffin
Play count doesn't mean anything.

I have much higher play count than you, which doesn't bother me as I know I'm improving when I really try and don't SS random stuff (I do find this fun though). If you look at the top 50. There's people with over 100k playcount in there and then there's the people that's pushing 200k to stay in there.

Now I know that you may be thinking "Well muffin, playcount is meaningless when you get that high"". The fact is some of these players wouldn't even be in the top 200 with higher playcounts than some of these people have. If playcount mattered so much, these players would just quit and hope Scarlet Rose never enters their recommended videos again.

The only people that would ridicule you for your play count would be people outside of osu that sees it as a meaningless waste of time, before working 100 hour weeks to earn money they never have any time to spend. (Okay, most aren't that bad but the point is don't care what these people think).
However these are the same people that would be stunned to hear you had a 500 playcount. So most of us would be doomed in that case.

At the end of the day improvement in osu isn't what you're going to be judged on. Getting a job, buying a home etc is. So enjoy the less important things rather than stress over them.
Redon
Risa
I dont think theres any top player that actually cares abt playcount.
Have u seen _index say anything abt his playcount?
Or is there any other top player that respect him solely for his playcount?
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

People care too much about their stats.
vsprite
You need to know when to move on before you start tilting and affecting other songs that you would play later on. I skip to the next song if I cant get it done in 3-4 tries
7ambda
People will only judge you if you have a very low playcount at a very high rank.
E m i

F1r3tar wrote:

People will only judge you if you have a very low playcount at a very high rank.
oh, cr1m...
B1rd

F1r3tar wrote:

You will be judged strongly from every aspect of your stats.
Risa
Risa

F1r3tar wrote:

Most people do. Top players themselves dont.
Low playcount with high rank doesnt necessarily mean u will be as good as rrtyui if u have 200k playcount anyways.
buny
retry amount means nothing, the only thing that matters is when you hit the retry button

there's a problem if you're retrying the first few seconds of the map for the past hour
Bauxe

Reset- wrote:

I dont think theres any top player that actually cares abt playcount.
Have u seen _index say anything abt his playcount?
Or is there any other top player that respect him solely for his playcount?
His playcount got reset.
show more