forum

Recommend a story based RPG?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nadfee
Hi!

I'm not really good with genres but.. I've been trying to look for a simple RPG that has alot of story.. I'd prefer to stay out of MMORPGs tho. I'm probably not specific enough but I remember playing Dynasty Warriors a long time ago but it didn't have any story (?).

Whether its 2D or 3D I don't mind, but I want a game where I progress through a world with an interesting story. Whether it's turn-based or real-time, I dont mind. Games like Pokemon might be one thing but I'd really like one with a line that ends, preferably if I can alter character development or such. Really getting bored of repetitive games. If there are interesting RPG singleplayer games that are up to date with current-gen graphics or not too old I'd also gladly check them out ^^

Skyrim is another thing I'd like to stay away from, as sometimes the quests are not down to point and very time-consuming in terms of just "travelling doing nothing". Infact I've already played roughly 300h of Skyrim.

If you need more specific information I'll happily reply. My knowledge within game genres isn't good and I havent played games like Zelda, so just give me questions that might broaden my view. Yes I'm being serious about finding a game. I'd appreciate no useless posts, thanks in advance.
Navizel
Something like these? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0

From the list, I would suggest Grandia series and Valkyria Chronicles series. Atelier can be repetitive but I will still suggest it cause I am a sucker for the series.
Green Platinum
That list is pretty complete in terms of the SNES era of RPGs I'd recommend. Seeing the classics like Earthbound, Lufia 2, Evermore etc. and some more niche ones like Treasure of the Rudras which didn't get translated.
Didn't see Crystallis there, probably my favourite NES game
Ceph23
If you wan't something close to current gen graphics RPGs, you might want to try out The Last Remnant
http://store.steampowered.com/app/23310/
The game pretty much flew under the radar when it came out, but it's a really good game.
It takes some really good strategies to make a solid party and it has some pretty unique game mechanics that takes some time to get used to.
Topic Starter
Nadfee
- Cepth23. The Last Remnant caught my eyes a bit, seems interesting for a 9,99 euro game. Has good reviews in terms of story so I'll definitely give it a try sometime soon!

- Navizel. I'll check out that Valkyria Chronicles, looks interesting in terms of gameplay imo.

- Green Platinum. I'll definitely take a look at Lufia 2, for some reason it just catches my eyes and makes me want to play it from just looking at the pictures.

Thanks for the recommendations! It seems like I chose 3D games over 2D games.. but I guess it's just a habit. If anyone else has more suggestions I'd gladly check them out!

Off-Topic:
SPOILER
Mostly trying to do this to stock up on SP games for the next few months so I don't get too occupied with multiplayer games. I can leave whenever I want and such to study without doubts/hassle.. Starting high school soon and it'll probably be hard, so I have to learn proper discipline.
hnmk13
Natural Doctrine.It's not so well known but you'll get some hours out of it.It has it's flaws but if you can get over them you're good to go.Online is pretty much dead.Did I mention the unique battle system?
Emayecue
Best stories in RPG comes from the SNES

Lufia II, Chrono Trigger, FFIV, V, VI, Breath of Fire II, are all staples from when content determined a game success, not over the top graphics.
Roxy Lalonde
i know a few games that excel greatly in the lore mechanic and worldbuilding mechanic though the player interactions are a bit limited

these are like down to the bone old ass games
but there are newer versions that aren't as archaic

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

the Geneforge series has some great fantasy sci-fi blend
and the Avernum series has some good exploration mechanic
Avadon i haven't explored much but it's a newer series that isn't archaic at all

i would stay away from Nethergate and the games below Geneforge on the list they tend to have extremely archaic controls

these games tend to have great story and strategy mechanics imo
abraker
Dink Smallwood

Got to warn you though, it's an old classic
Trash Boat
Undertale
nickle7654
I highly recommend UNDERTALE. It's a really good RPG where no one has to die. Unlike normal RPGs, you can actively dodge enemy attacks. It's like a bullet hell combined with an RPG. You'll see.

It's a lot more interesting then it sounds.

There are multiple endings to the game, and each one is completely emotional. It has a whole lot of lovable characters in the game that you just wanna hug and never let go.

Seriously, go get this game. There's a demo on steam, so that should be good. The real game is 10 bucks. I highly recommend it.

Also, you get to date a skeleton. So that's cool.

P.S. PLEASE don't watch any videos of people playing it or talking about it, accept if it's the trailer. It's REALLY hard to talk about the game without spoiling it, so...just be warned.
Green Platinum
This is the osu community so there may be a nugget of truth to this. Considering the amount of hype it gets here I'd say UNDERTALE seems to be the first good game a bunch of you have ever played. It's a solid game leave it at that.
Jinn
Pokemon
Zafufu
I would look into the Final Fantasy series. Most of the games are very good examples of story rpgs, and are more simple to go with than other advanced jrpgs gameplay wise. I would put a specific, but personally I haven't played one that wouldn't be a good example (Played 1/2 PS1 remake,7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2)

I've only played one title of it so far, but the "Tales of" series seems to also be decent with story telling, though a different style than Final Fantasy. (Only played Xillia so far.)
Justykanna

Zafufu wrote:

I would look into the Final Fantasy series. Most of the games are very good examples of story rpgs, and are more simple to go with than other advanced jrpgs gameplay wise. I would put a specific, but personally I haven't played one that wouldn't be a good example (Played 1/2 PS1 remake,7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2)

I've only played one title of it so far, but the "Tales of" series seems to also be decent with story telling, though a different style than Final Fantasy. (Only played Xillia so far.)
Can support this. The best story for a Final Fantasy (imo) is probably 6 or 7. 6 is out for iOS, PS1, SNES and soon (if not already), PC (on Steam). So easily playable.
Tales games are known for having great stories as well. That series is now my number 1 JRPG series. The best story I would say is Tales of Vesperia and easily my favourite of the series. Xillia has a good one too and if you like it that much, there's a sequel to it out as well.
-Abstract-
Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden my favorite RPG. Persona 3 is also very good
Hitorikko
try suikoden 2 ! best RPG IMO :3
Kyouki-Kun
Hello, friend! I recodându a game named Dragon age, Its really fun and you can make your own characters!

And, the Origional corpse party's pretty cool too! And its free(I think..) http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_cor ... index.html
TheOtaco
While it's not really a game for everyone I highly recommend LISA.
It's a fairly tough rpg that tells quite the story.
archetype-
undertale/ib
Navizel
Just because a game is made from RPG maker doesn't make it an RPG.