forum

[Archived] Performance issues in mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Robonatorx
Problem Details:

Wanted to try osu today after a 3 week break, updated it and now its basically unplayable.
On the Stable version my fps went down to 1200-2000, the game generally feels pretty bad. its stuttering and the blocks start to blur especially on long songs the longer i play. it gets to the point where i can just see some weird blurry "things" coming down and its near impossible to hit them at the right moment.
I'd say the first 30sec are fine, but then it gets worse and worse.

It feels a bit like i am playing with 30fps or something.

It is especially noticeable for me on this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/288794 with speed on 11.

My fps always remain the same.
I tried the cutting edge branch and got even lower fps without fixing the problem.
Beta branch gives me 3500+ fps but the issue still exist, even though its not as bad as it is on stable.

System:
I5 2500k 4x4.3ghz
8GB DDR3-1600
PNY GTX 680
1920x1080 @75hz
Windows 10 x64

Drivers up to date, tried fullscreen or not, open gl etc but it didn't really help.

I have also checked if there is something in the background taking my performance away but there isn't.

any tipps & hints are appreciated
Trosk-
If you tried Cutting Edge and it's worse, could you try going back to Cutting Edge and enable the new Compatibility mode?

The option is below the FPS Limiter options.
Tom94
Nothing changed on Stable for the past few months, therefore your issues are at your end. I see you are using Windows 10 - windowed applications are very prone to stuttering caused by other windowed applications there. This is inherent to the way Windows renders your desktop.

If you want to avoid this, close all background applications that are displaying something or play in fullscreen mode (on Beta and Cuttingedge you can still make osu! appear as small as it would in windowed mode with the "Letterboxing" option).

Finally, it's strange that you have worse FPS on cutting edge while having 3500+ on Beta. Given how they are barely different you should get roughly the same FPS on both. This seems very much like background processes hogging your PCs resources.

Rainmeter, f.lux and TeamSpeak 3 (when not minimized) are examples for application that cause those problems. Even your taskbar when displayed on multiple screens exhibits this effect when it flashes due to an application posting a notification.
Topic Starter
Robonatorx
Thanks you two.
I tried the compatibility mode in cutting edge and it didn'T really fixed it.

@Tom94, thanks for the hint. i had f.lux running in the background, i totally forgot about it.
Disabled f.lux and it felt a bit better in cutting edge mode, but not in the beta build, it still get really stuttery there.

As i said: i tried fullscreen and it didn't really change anything.
I only have one monitor and i usually play in borderless windowmode.
Teamspeak, skype, steam etc disabled without any noticeable difference.

Maps with videos are especially bad. My fps go down to like 400 and it stutters really hard.
I don't have anything else running in the background that could eat my performance, atleast that i know of. Nothing to push out any notifications, antivirus is also in sleepmode.

At some maps i noticed that it starts to stutter roughly at the same time. i kept playing a few times and noticed that it gets better after a bit of playing, mostly towards the end of that map.

I'm a bit clueless and i don't want to change back to windows 8.1 just because of this.
My skin shouldn't be the matter either, since its very minimalistic and small in size.
TheVileOne
Can you give us an image of your frame graph? (ctrl + f11 in debug builds). It's more than likely something still on your end, perhaps related to rendering extreme amounts of frames. We have frame limiters to test this hypothesis.
Topic Starter
Robonatorx
Hey sure here is a screenshot, but the graph moves so fast i don't know how it would help
http://i.imgur.com/yvjFW9t.png

I could also make a video while having the graph enabled if that would help.
Trosk-

Robonatorx wrote:

Hey sure here is a screenshot, but the graph moves so fast i don't know how it would help
Try to take the screenshot at the moment of the lagspikes/stutters.

Robonatorx wrote:

I could also make a video while having the graph enabled if that would help.
I think that this won't help at all since the performance is most likely gonna drop while recording.
Topic Starter
Robonatorx
Recording via Shadowplay cost me about 100 FPS on beta build, so its not that bad.

Doing Screenshots in the moment of stutter while playing myself is impossible for me, i can't reach the key that fast, but i played some replays and did some screens whenever it stuttered or started to run bad.

I uploaded a bunch of them here:
http://imgur.com/a/5HuJn

Those little spikes appear the whole time except if there is only a slider or if there are no blocks on the screen.
The first 3 Screenshots are from the Cutting Edge build while the others are from the beta build.