forum

Why play offline?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Risa
I dont ever play offline other than in my first week of this game to hide the fact that i was a scrub.
Personally i dont find low playcount impressive.
So i want to know why do people play offline when they can play online?
Is having a low playcount supposed to look good or something?

EDIT : added the bolded red part
-Makishima S-
I dont ever play offline other than in my first week of this game to hide the fact that i was a scrub.

Drace wrote:

Do not be afraid to be bad: Most people get discouraged from the level of difficulty in rhythm games early on. This is because most rhythm games features a seemingly never-ending difficulty scale, and it's intimidating when you're having trouble at the beginning. But this is also due that these games uses mechanics that one most likely never practiced before.(...) It's completely normal to be bad when you start off. Most the time, when someone is better than you, it's simply because he's played more or has played more seriously than you. Just keep in mind that he used to be at your level too at some point in time :P .You just need spend more time playing and pushing yourself to the next level. Don't worry about it too much, it'll come.
(from mania "how to improve" topic)

Additionaly as scrub you will get "never give up" as - play more / your top ranks sucks balls.

I play offline when my ISP decide to break some hardware connected to my line...

8-)
ZenithPhantasm
Endaris
Cause Bancho
-sev

Endaris wrote:

Cause Bancho

Reset- wrote:

why do people play offline when they can play online?
Deva
I play offline because i cant play online. Simple?
buny

Reset- wrote:

others do, because autism or something

there's no status modes on osu as well, so the only way to dodge people is to go offline
ZenithPhantasm

Loli Sex Slave wrote:

Reset- wrote:

others do, because autism or something

there's no status modes on osu as well, so the only way to dodge people is to go offline
Im antisocial :D
-sev

Loli Sex Slave wrote:

Or you can just ignore them
buny

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

ZenithPhantasm

Loli Sex Slave wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Forums let me socialize when I want to.
2408!
I Give Up
Coz telecom.
buny

KukiMonster wrote:

Coz telecom.
you mean spark
Topic Starter
Risa
Actually nvm. This thread is a mistake.
I just rmb that most offline players will never admit that they play offline.
Neither do they go to the forums.
Theyre probably looking at their profiles admiring their pp : playcount ratio while Im still left confused about "what makes low playcount look good?"

So it seems like we wont be getting a reply from an actual offline player anytime soon.
arihosu
Playing offline prevents you from losing ranks for having fun.
ZenithPhantasm

Reset- wrote:

Theyre probably looking at their profiles admiring their pp : playcount ratio while Im still left confused about "what makes low playcount look good?"

So it seems like we wont be getting a reply from an actual offline player anytime soon.
*picks up pitchfork*
Ninonuko

Reset- wrote:

because I don't want to show my actual playcount which could be 30000+, I don't do it to look good
I admit that I play offline on my userpage since the first time I got userpage

Low play count by playing offline or multi is a fake thing, you shouldn't be proud of it
vsprite
Becus im am autim and am proud to look at leederbords to c that mi pleycont is 2x lower then evariwun esles
timemon
I'm a true online player, I don't even play unranked maps. Umbrella

Some people do that to make themselves feel superior because they have lower playcounts.
ZenithPhantasm
I do it to avoid #cancer and because 6969 is obviously the best play count.
Insyni

timemon wrote:

I'm a true online player, I don't even play unranked maps. Umbrella

Some people do that to make themselves feel superior because they have lower playcounts.
There are some really nice unranked maps (for example road game). I really wish that map was still available to download... Is it possible to upload a map that is no longer available and credit the original creator? I'm not very tech savvy, but I think more people should have access to this map.

Back on topic, I think that a person should do whatever they want to do regarding offline mode. If they don't want high play counts for whatever reason, then so be it. To me it's a sign of how much I've played (hit count included). Though others might feel more pressure from playing online or have another reason so they don't do it.

The only time when offline players are a bit annoying is when the come on the forums asking a question. You know what type of response they will get, and all they have to back themselves up is, "I usually play offline."
Euphi
I dont ever play online other than in my first week of this game to hide the fact that i was good.
Personally i dont find high rank impressive.
So i want to know why do people play online when they can play offline?
Is having a high rank supposed to look good or something?
It is just a decision you make like everything in everyday life.
Maybe someone enjoys it more or maybe does not want to have high playcount.

I think there are no "offline" Players. Sometimes when you feel like it, you play offline or not.
Some more, some less. Reasons given.
When I play offline it is because you have another environment with other players etc. etc. when you log in and offline you can sometimes enjoy the game more "purely" and with less distractions.
+ in osu you do not need to ask other players for help or go online to progress yourself( though you can and this is the freedom I like about this game). You just need to be online to show your progress off.

Low play count by playing offline or multi is a fake thing, you shouldn't be proud of it
So everything that is not tracked by someone else is fake? You do not have to be proud of it, but there are no reasons to not be proud of it because when you play offline you are actually playing, too.
Ninonuko
I meant the playcount, if you feeling proud when you have higher pp than some player but lower playcount because you mostly play
offline, that playcount is fake and not something to be proud of.
This is assuming that player playing offline in order to get low playcount to look superior than other player around their rank.
I have some accidental fc while offline, that possibly give me around 10 pp, I proud of it and regret it at the same time
Look at playcount was already wrong from the start though
chainpullz

Ninonuko wrote:

I meant the playcount, if you feeling proud when you have higher pp than some player but lower playcount because you mostly play
offline, that playcount is fake and not something to be proud of.
This is assuming that player playing offline in order to get low playcount to look superior than other player around their rank.
I have some accidental fc while offline, that possibly give me around 10 pp, I proud of it and regret it at the same time
Look at playcount was already wrong from the start though
Nobody even cares what you can play to begin with, let alone how many playcount it took you to be able to.
-sev

chainpullz wrote:

Nobody even cares what you can play to begin with, let alone how many playcount it took you to be able to.
Preach.
Endaris
Playing multiplayer only and then starting to farm has a similar effect tho. At least when only looking at pc.
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

Playing multiplayer only and then starting to farm has a similar effect tho. At least when only looking at pc.
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Rohulk
Kaitou Kid
Rhymes with hotline
pandaBee
I've been playing offline since before OP existed in this world.
markii
Reminder that total hits is what actually matters and NOT play count

also we shouldn't accuse people of caring about some ratio no one cares about as if it's a bad thing, and we should also be more imaginative when we try to think of plausible explanations. What if (and I doubt it just as much as you) the lack of pressure to FC helps them play better/more consistsntly, so the practice is more meaningful?
eeezzzeee
What I don't understand is why there is always so much hate on offline players...

Why does it matter to you what their play count is? I doubt many of them are going around and rubbing it in your face.
The Gambler
Cuz maps arent ranked, that's why.

Also my playcount should have gotten me up into 1k already.

I still haven't...
SendokSayur
sorry I'm late to comment on this topic because I'm a new player a few months ago I joined to play osu!, the conclusion I got about this topic is that it's okay to play offline mode if it's to avoid distraction from other players, and the goal is not to be seen like low play count and proud of it

I intend to play offline just to practice so that when I go online I can quickly rank up with a low play count and look cool in the eyes of others, even though it is a fabricated and fake thing.

but now I decided to play honestly with online mode because I have internet, it doesn't matter how many play, it can be a part of history in playing this game

thanks for the discussion
rematyar
your post was correct. But please, next time avoid necro-posting 6 years old thread \o/