forum

Use My Documents Instead of Application Directory [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Torran
Since most games are doing this...

osu! creates an osu! folder in your Documents and from then on, uses that to store basically anything created by the user.
osu! then moves existing files into the folder like the configuration, screenshots, skins, songs, etc.
osu! informs the user about the new folder to avoid confusion.

It's much easier to go to My Documents folder than to go all the way to my Program Files.
RandomJibberish
I have a shortcut to my osu! folder in my documents
Derekku
It's an application; Just create a shortcut. I really see no need for this?

Wait.. doesn't osu! ask where you want it to install to?
awp
While that is an option (FO3 does it) it's actually somewhat annoying; you're now stuck with files in different places. I prefer having all my osu! related stuff in one osu! folder.

I have a shortcut to osu!'s folder on my desktop though. Or at least, used to.
Gens
I have my folder in C:osu!. That's faster~ though my PC freezes for a bit because the Songs folder is horribly huge now.

It's still faster though~

I don't really agree with this.
Topic Starter
Torran
Denied, desu.
mm201
I HAAATE when programs do this. I get a whole bunch of game like "Starcraft II" and "My C&C3 files" folders littering up my My Documents.

If anything, stick maps in AppDataLocal and config in AppDataRoaming.

Also UAC leaves you alone if you install osu! to somewhere other than Program Files (x86). I use C:Gamesosu!
NotShinta

RandomJibberish wrote:

I have a shortcut to my osu! folder in my documents
Genius

Anyway no it is awful
cyanberryio
Aww, this would have done well for me, because my C: is getting full and my S: has more space for maps (S for storage, C for installs)
Ekaru
@soradg123: Create a shortcut of the osu! folder and put that shortcut in My Documents. I just tried it. It works for me. Hopefully it would also work for you. Should be what you wanted if it works for you.
Nakata Yuji
I know it's already denied, but perhaps there could be an option to place the songs folder or skins folder elsewhere besides the osu! directory?
peppy
Just make a shortcut, hey.

I've been leaning more and more towards using AppData for new users now that it is fairly standard (when I first started working on osu! it wasn't so much), and giving a toggle to choose where data is stored. Shall see how things go.