forum

Why does osu! have the most cringeworthy community to date?

posted
Total Posts
show more
GAMI
don't forget elitist & drama (:
Destiny
If anime was illegal we wouldn't be having these problems.
Green Platinum

Destiny wrote:

If anime was illegal we wouldn't be having these problems.
2 Bombs weren't enough!
Suirenni
weebs, people who think being an otaku is okay, shitstorms and easily-starstuck people are the main problem in #osu. tbh I only have the channel up only so I could check the time
Railey2

loldcraft wrote:

snip
accessibility and tolerance of low quality content posting users creates a snowballing system that forces high quality users out and draws in more low quality.

Interesting point, haven't heard it that fleshed out as of yet. Credit goes to you.
Frikandel
What I'm wondering is why almost everyone has an anime avatar. Weeaboos rain supreme here.
Bweh
The game is originally based on a Japanese game centered around Japanese culture with Japanese influences from Japanese producers, further propagated by Japanese people and Japanese cartoons and all those entail.

Basically, you have weeaboos everywhere because it specifically matches their interests, more so than any other demographic.
Frikandel

Brian OA wrote:

The game is originally based on a Japanese game centered around Japanese culture with Japanese influences from Japanese producers, further propagated by Japanese people and Japanese cartoons and all those entail.

Basically, you have weeaboos everywhere because it specifically matches their interests, more so than any other demographic.

point taken!

I'm probably one of the few who don't watch anime here.
Bweh
Makes me wonder how you got interested in the game
Frikandel

Brian OA wrote:

Makes me wonder how you got interested in the game

Well, I'm a very competitive person and I played League of Legends at first. A streamer played osu and said it was to practice for league. So I tried it, and got hooked because of all the leaderboards and the pp and alot of good songs (even some nice anime songs).

This game just makes you feel pro if you pull something off that you didn't expect you could do. Haven't had that happen in a while though... :'(
Mystogo
If a "normal" person was to join this game and stick around, rather than making the community better they'd probably change and adapt to match everyone else. The community growing will only make it a more vibrant cringe.
Frikandel

Mystogo wrote:

If a "normal" person was to join this game and stick around, rather than making the community better they'd probably change and adapt to match everyone else. The community growing will only make it a more vibrant cringe.
Depends. I for one almost completely ignore #osu. And our #dutch chat is alot less cringy. Although it get's pretty hostile there from time to time for some reason, it is much more mature, no ''notice me senpai'' nonsense.
Gumpy

SOLID771 wrote:

What I'm wondering is why almost everyone has an anime avatar. Weeaboos rain supreme here.
just because someone has an anime avatar doesn't make them a weeb >_>
Cyclohexane

Gumpyyy wrote:

SOLID771 wrote:

just because someone has an anime avatar doesn't make them a weeb >_>

if you're not willing to hide your powerlevel it's pretty obvious you're a weeblord
Green Platinum
With such a weeb community makes me wonder why OC is so uninitiated.
E m i
I'm the reason why osu! has the most cringeworthy community to date
Chokladboll
what the is up with everyone having this negative attitude about anything on the internet nowadays? are there really no actual problems left in the world or what?
The Gambler
Wait, #osu exists?

OT: I don't even know what happens in osu! chat
Frikandel

The Gambler wrote:

Wait, #osu exists?

OT: I don't even know what happens in osu! chat
You are better off not knowing. Or else it might taint your soul.
JOEMOMO
Who even talks on #osu anymore?
Mashley

Ephemeral wrote:

oldfriend syndrome is wildly applicable to this forum because for the first seven years of its life, it was literally a house of carefully executed inside jokes that MOST people silently assumed and understood correctly

thus it is strikingly disappointing that ye of the new generation are apparently incapable of doing this for yourselves

like does the word valhalla even mean anything to any of you anymore
I bet you fuckers dont even know what jarto is
Starrodkirby86

Mashley wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

oldfriend syndrome is wildly applicable to this forum because for the first seven years of its life, it was literally a house of carefully executed inside jokes that MOST people silently assumed and understood correctly

thus it is strikingly disappointing that ye of the new generation are apparently incapable of doing this for yourselves

like does the word valhalla even mean anything to any of you anymore
I bet you fuckers dont even know what jarto is
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA!?!?!?!??!?!
Mashley
what does a guy have to do to get one of those sweet alumni tags around here

And I should add, I know I come across as a bitter oldfag to say stuff like this but I know that if you showed me 5 years ago what osu! looks like know it'd seem like some sort of weird dystopia. Every single map is done in that horrible style with no regard for music that was always controversial back then but by this stage it's become completely homogeneous. And we always joked about how every map is anime but there's less variety than ever now.

Again I know people always thing the past was better, but really, is there any chance of a group of people in the community making something as mind bogglingly awesome as, say, 'Don't Stop Me Now'?
Hika
fucking reunion in this thread lmfao
Bweh

Mashley wrote:

And I should add, I know I come across as a bitter oldfag to say stuff like this but I know that if you showed me 5 years ago what osu! looks like know it'd seem like some sort of weird dystopia. Every single map is done in that horrible style with no regard for music that was always controversial back then but by this stage it's become completely homogeneous. And we always joked about how every map is anime but there's less variety than ever now.

Again I know people always thing the past was better, but really, is there any chance of a group of people in the community making something as mind bogglingly awesome as, say, 'Don't Stop Me Now'?
I don't doubt it, but being bitter won't do much good beyond mutually stroking each others' beards.
kirueggy

Mashley wrote:

but really, is there any chance of a group of people in the community making something as mind bogglingly awesome as, say, 'Don't Stop Me Now'?
The level of effort and amount of work put into this one beatmap still manages to impress me, it was one of the first beatmaps I ever played when I first started & this was when I didn't know that beatmaps could have videos & I just lost my shit at this sitting in front of my computer screen all dumbfounded, but at the same time in awe.
Green Platinum

kirueggy wrote:

Mashley wrote:

but really, is there any chance of a group of people in the community making something as mind bogglingly awesome as, say, 'Don't Stop Me Now'?
The level of effort and amount of work put into this one beatmap still manages to impress me, it was one of the first beatmaps I ever played when I first started & this was when I didn't know that beatmaps could have videos & I just lost my shit at this sitting in front of my computer screen all dumbfounded, but at the same time in awe.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/10559
This one too

I guess no one bothers because everyone just blacks their screen and turns off video because otherwise it would be a waste of pp. There's a similar stigma with low ar.
jackfrostjunes
cringeworthy community!!?? i just starting posting aaahh why did i have to find this out now!? lol am i gonna have to go in lurking mode in this forums??
Mashley

Green Platinum wrote:

I guess no one bothers because everyone just blacks their screen and turns off video because otherwise it would be a waste of pp. There's a similar stigma with low ar.
Oh, this community hating anything out of their comfort zone is certainly nothing new. The one time I experimented with small circles it got bombed to the bottom page of all maps with one star ratings!

Can't compete with this work of genius, though https://osu.ppy.sh/s/21145
Starrodkirby86
Going from that topic, have their been any recent Ranked maps that are similar to the likes of all these great beauties here?
Mashley
Oh man I completely forgot about Baby Crusing Love. That's hilarious.

And Songsmith is an incredible program of course. Thanks osu! for bringing the beautiful art I made through it to thousands of people.

2015 osu! just has no inspiration man.
dNextGen
the "old times was better" syndrome is truly omnipresent

but i agree that the community was less cringy back then

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Going from that topic, have their been any recent Ranked maps that are similar to the likes of all these great beauties here?
no, and the sad thing is there are no ranked maps like kiou's style

muh free scores ;-;
Corin
Damn all these old people.
Hi.

Also 2011-2013 osu! wasn't so cancertastic. At least #modhelp and OT wasn't anyways.

It's still funny how the rest of the BEMANI community shits on osu! though.
kirueggy

Corin wrote:

Hi.
Oh fuck it's you again.

Sorry for all that drama in the ITT 2: thread a year or two so ago
IppE

Corin wrote:

Doesn't that imply that osu! is somehow a part of the BEMANI community?
Green Platinum

IppE wrote:

Corin wrote:

They are a pretty tight knit community and the popularity of osu! has led more people to find them. It's hilarious when some lose their shit over people calling a chart a map.
Sync

Corin wrote:

Damn all these old people.
Hi.

Also 2011-2013 osu! wasn't so cancertastic. At least #modhelp and OT wasn't anyways.

elitism is funny, I agree

isis iNiS circlejerking was great too, except that literally happened.

** SHOUT OUT TO D33D AND JARBY FOR FINDING LOVE THROUGH A LITTLE GIRL DANCE GAME **
Corin

IppE wrote:

Corin wrote:

Well remove "rest" then.
Liiraye

Mashley wrote:

Mashley wrote:

Oh man I completely forgot about Baby Crusing Love. That's hilarious.

And Songsmith is an incredible program of course. Thanks osu! for bringing the beautiful art I made through it to thousands of people.

2015 osu! just has no inspiration man.

While I do respect you as a mapper who've done way more to this community than most people, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. I know it's your opinion, but that's what nostalgia does to someone. It messes with what's objectively good and makes the memories take over.

I started mapping in 2012, and that's a year where some of the best maps in my opinion were made. I do realize that a lot of maps these days are just anime oriented songs, TV Sizes etc, but every once in a while you'll come across maps that completely blow you away with its cheer creativity and complex structure. Some of which couldn't be made 3-4 years ago because this way of mapping hadn't really flourished yet. For me personally, it seems I've only now in 2015 started to make the best maps I've done. Mappers continously evolve and get better with their understanding of mapping in general.

Keep your eyes open and you'll see some cool shit dude 8-)

edit: just adding some examples of outstanding maps:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/179323
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/173288
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90784
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/186911 a bit controversial, but plays really well

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/140945 this map doesn't have a storyboard but it reflects the song so perfectly, and plays incredible.

A lot of my personal favorite maps are from 2011-2012, but I have to judge stuff for what they are, not how they made me feel 4 years ago when I played them.
Mashley
Well 'Kung-Fu Empire' was very impressive at least, I hadn't seen that one. Map wise it's very samey though, you know? Just in that same style that every map seems to have been in for years now. And new mappers see it and think 'oh, so this is how I can make a map people will like' and keep that stagnant cycle going. I do definitely think there's potential for things to be rejuvenated, and I'd be really happy if that happened, it's just not happening at the moment.

But still, nice storyboard when it wasn't tanking my laptop's FPS.
show more