forum

How to deal with slow AR...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Feylos
So when going through my songs, I saw a "normal" (easy half of hards) with an A. Normally I would Improve that... But the song's AR is 3, the old beatmap style which I hate. I wish I could just delete it from my profile, so it doesn't remind of the beatmap, but it doesn't work like that. I would like some tips playing slow AR.
(By slow I mean 5 and under, supposedly 7 is "slow" but it's fine) There was this other old style beatmap with an AR of 1... (Don't stop me now). And no, hard rock won't help cause of the small CS, as well as not making the AR fast enough.

tl;dr: Hard rock makes cs too small, and AR's below 5 are too slow. Any tips?
pandaBee
Have you tried watching the approach circle? I heard that helps.
ZenithPhantasm
Get good at HR
Topic Starter
Feylos

pandaBee wrote:

Have you tried watching the approach circle? I heard that helps.
Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't, These types of songs have always troubled me.
pandaBee
You see those circles?

Now you see those circles around the circles?

Try looking at that.

I suggest playing the osu tutorial map if you have questions.
Topic Starter
Feylos

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Get good at HR
What is 1 x 1.4? 1.4. What is 3 x 1.4? 4.2. the ar will still be too slow while making the CS smaller, that's why I said it usually doesn't help.
ZenithPhantasm

Theultraman191 wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Get good at HR
What is 1 x 1.4? 1.4. What is 3 x 1.4? 4.2. the ar will still be too slow while making the CS smaller, that's why I said it usually doesn't help.
Topic Starter
Feylos

pandaBee wrote:

I suggest playing the osu tutorial map if you have questions.
You mean that one that come bundled with the game? I'm not that clueless, the other tips should help, thanks.
Yuudachi-kun
I hardly play anything under ar 9.6 now don't worry.
Topic Starter
Feylos

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Get good at HR
I'll try...
Topic Starter
Feylos

Khelly wrote:

I hardly play anything under ar 9.6 now don't worry.
I'ma just going to pretend those low ar maps don't exist.... while I slowly delete those beatmaps..... maybe?............
repr1se
Pace yourself with the music. Use the song to be accurate.
B1rd
You could

1. acknowledge the maps exist without playing them

2. play them and learn how to play low AR

3. delete them and pretend they don't exist
Topic Starter
Feylos

Repr1se wrote:

Pace yourself with the music. Use the song to be accurate.
Which usually works, unless it has some wierd note on the offbeat. And B1rd, I think I will chose no. 1 and the delete part of 3.
Topic Starter
Feylos
Thanks everyone, I'll give the songs a few more tries at fc-ing, and after I do, or give up, I'll delete them.

I finally got a FC on the 3AR map, and as for the 1 ar, I kinda give up.
-Makishima S-
Learn to play.

AR 3 on easy songs is so trivial... it's diff designed for completly new players...
Zuikaku
Just play???
That's what I did...
Oh the tutorial is really helpful btw
Mahogany
I don't think it's necessary to know how to play a low AR for anything outside of bragging rights or EZ mod.
Endaris
Play it with EZHT!
You could make some coffee inbetween the notes :^)
Topic Starter
Feylos
So really there is no point in learning slow ar, as they are only in the easier difficulties? Cause most of the hards I have, have an ar of 7 and up. Well besides those 2 old style hards with an ar of 3 and 1. I get it, I'd be better off learning ar 9+
B1rd
Nah low AR is good to learn. It's good to diversify your skill set a bit.
Topic Starter
Feylos

B1rd wrote:

Nah low AR is good to learn. It's good to diversify your skill set a bit.
I should tell my friend Battle Medic that, lol. He says ar 7 is too slow for him.
Mahogany

Theultraman191 wrote:

So really there is no point in learning slow ar, as they are only in the easier difficulties? Cause most of the hards I have, have an ar of 7 and up. Well besides those 2 old style hards with an ar of 3 and 1. I get it, I'd be better off learning ar 9+
There is *a point* to learning low ARs, but in the grand scheme of things and considering the time you'd need to invest, it comes out as a fairly impractical skill to have. Feel free to learn low ARs if you want to, but I don't think it's going to help you rank any time soon. AR9 is the important one.
Topic Starter
Feylos
Well if 6 and 7 ar can be considered slow, then I am set, I might learn the really slow ar, but ar 9+ would be more worth it. Thanks everyone.
B1rd
Low AR maps can improve your overall skill in general. It's worth it to learn.

As for you OP, ARs are considered slow or fast relative to their difficulty and bpm. What is important is how many notes on the screen Refer to this for a rough guide on how things are to read https://i.ppy.sh/776cd146e1dbf6597df5f2 ... 572e706e67
Topic Starter
Feylos

B1rd wrote:

Refer to this for a rough guide on how things are to read https://i.ppy.sh/776cd146e1dbf6597df5f2 ... 572e706e67
That is neat guide! So basically in some cases lower ar can be harder than high ar.

I think Mahogany was referring to the fact that harder difficulties usually have higher ar.
B1rd
The skills you learn from low AR can be useful in playing a lot of maps, including ar9 and above. For example it allows you to read and aim patterns more methodically rather than reactionarily. Of course if you just want the pps you can stick to high AR. It's quite a boring skillset though.
Yolshka

B1rd wrote:

The skills you learn from low AR can be useful in playing a lot of maps, including ar9 and above. For example it allows you to read and aim patterns more methodically rather than reactionarily. Of course if you just want the pps you can stick to high AR. It's quite a boring skillset though.
So by playing low ar you learn to stop mashing and you start aiming properly, which is good, but otherwise useless.

Theultraman191 wrote:

I think Mahogany was referring to the fact that harder difficulties usually have higher ar.
Well yes, so again, why would i worry about it? (unless ar7/ar8 is considered low)

I'm pretty sure my lack of ability to read ar9 is what keeping me from ranking.

Theultraman191 wrote:

So basically in some cases lower ar can be harder than high ar.
And unless you play with mods, those cases will probably not occur.

But obviously i don't have 3k pp to support my opinion.
Yuudachi-kun
Learning every ar from 8 to 10.3 is probably important, yes.

I don't consider ar below 8 to be relevant.