forum

[Archived] Osu on Linux - wine - low performance with last update

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
Hey,
I'm using wine to run Osu! on Linux. I'm on Ubuntu 15.04.
I recently made an update, just after it osu was running at very low fps (25fps). I used to have 400+ fps before that.
I had a message that I had to install dotnet 4.0 to install th update properly.
So i removed my WINEPREFIX cause it was a little buggy as I tried to install many things on it.
I installed everything on a new wineprefix for Osu. These are the commands I run to do it :

-----------------
export WINEPREFIX="/home/vrong/Configs/osu/wine"
export WINEARCH=win32
winetricks dotnet30
winetricks -q dotnet40 xna31 gdiplus corefonts fakejapanese fakechinese fakekorean
winetricks list-installed
./winetricks_wr -q fakejapanese
sh ~/Configs/wacom/scripts/wacom-osu-init.sh
cd ~/Configs/osu/osu/
export WINEDLLOVERRIDES="gdiplus=b,n"
vblank_mode=0 /usr/bin/wine osu\!.exe
-----------------

It was quite hard to get dotnet40 installed. I first tried on wine1.6 but it said that i hasn't mono (I didn't achieved to fix this)
I installed wine1.7 and tried to install dotnet40. First time it failed for some reason, error code shit. Then dotnet40 isn't available on my OS, then I installed dotnet30, then dotnet40 worked. Well.

So I launch Osu!, and same thing : FPS at 25. :| cannot play... But no more message that I haven't dotnet40.

What to do now ? Why is Osu! running so slow when it was so fast just before the update ? Is dotnet40 the problem ? Maybe not, because the problem appeared before I run it on dotnet4.0 as I stated at the beginning...

:sadface:
osu! version: 20150802 (latest)
peppy
What was the version you were on before?

Also, you don't need dotnet4 for stable. But if you have it working, why not use cutting edge instead? It should definitely give you better performance.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
I have no idea what version I was before. I may haven't played Osu! connected to the Internet for a few weeks so it may be a quite old one.
Setting cutting edge make Osu! doesn't start anymore. I get the "Hello, Osu is updated" windows and it's stuck, but it was already like this before the update problem. Now I will have to restore an old osu backup because I don't know how to get it back to work ^^'. I'll do this tomorrow, I will have to go now.

Interesting that stable doesn't need dotnet40. What I'm sure is that osu asked me to update dotnet to apply the osu update correctly, and then it showed me the osu updater and said that it failed to install dotnet and I will have to install it manually, and maybe it was written that it failed to install dotnet40 at this moment, but it may not need it actually.
I will test a few things tomorrow.
peppy
You can hold shift at startup to force your build back to stable, or just replace the osu!.exe with the installer's exe.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
Well. I restored the stable using the osu!install.exe, but same low fps problem. (pressing shift didn't worked)
So it said that my dotnet framework is outdated and cannot update. I click on the message, osu try to update to dotnet40 : fail.

Then I restored an old backup of osu I had. b20150203.7, sorry I don't have any more recent... But as said the problem came with an update made in the last 2/3 weeks I think. All is running well : 500 fps, no problem.

Also japanese fonts doesn't work anymore on both, but it may not be related. I get this squares instead.
Xazzzi
Confirmed, i'm having very low fps now too. I had stable capped 120 fps, now ~15 in menu and 25 in game.
Will try to revert back to previous version.
ekisu
Confirmed. Osu failed to update, claiming the .NET Framework version was too old. Deleted the WINEPREFIx, and created another one with dotnet40, and other one with dotnet35. Both yield similar results, around 25 FPS even in the menu! After the update, it ran around 120 FPS.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
Glad some people confirm this, I believed I was a lonely dumb ass who can't configure his wine prefix properly... :p
ekisu
Actually, updating to the CuttingEdge branch seems to fix it.
F_XZ
Confirmed one more. I couldn't even get dotnet40 working... The game gets very very slow with dotnet20 and even worse with dotnet30 and 35.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
@ElegantMonkey Did you have any problem to update to cutting edge ? My osu doesn't open anymore if I do so.

Also on my other computer using the open radeon driver Osu updated runs normally... :/ Cutting edge also works. 9.9
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
More things :
It's seems to be nvidia driver other people should confirm that:
- Works well on my amd gc computer
- Works normally with open source nvidia driver nouveau (more fps than with proprietary)
- Cutting edge works great (finally achieved to install it by completely remaking my osu configuration, but cannot play online as I'm not supporter... ^^')

The problem only concerns stable release with proprietary Nvidia driver.
ekisu
@wR-Z3RO When I switched to cutting-edge on the osu!.cfg file, I just opened osu!, then it updated and restarted, and poof, the problem was gone. I'm running a NVidia card with proprietary drivers, so... Try to recreate your Wine profile.
Nekonyan

wR-Z3RO wrote:

- Cutting edge works great (finally achieved to install it by completely remaking my osu configuration, but cannot play online as I'm not supporter... ^^')
You could play online but not on multiplayer mode.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO

Nekonyan wrote:

wR-Z3RO wrote:

You could play online but not on multiplayer mode.
Sure that's what I wanted to mean. ^^

Also will this problem be fixed? Or will it just stay like that?
TheVileOne
If it's related to a specific driver, you can always rollback to an earlier driver that works.
Topic Starter
wR-Z3RO
I didn't switch driver, osu previous version works on this driver.
sunbinyuan
I also have an issue where osu's left sidebar (settings) doesn't fully appear. Also, the update doesn't seems to be working...
Oh btw, I'm running on a AMD grahphic card on proprietary drivers.
lukypie
Ok, so i finally found the solution.
There are a few problems. With the latest stable version of osu, apparently for me, made the update system buggy so you can't go to the experimental branch from the menu. The solution is to update from a old osu!.exe (move that from an old installation rename it osuold.exe and put in the "new" osu folder) executable to the experimental branch, so can you run the new osu!.exe executable with the cutting edge branch updates.
I updated that to my video with a old osu executable link in the description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RwEBXVx7UU