forum

osu!HDtoSD -& SDtoHD.exe MakeSkinningEasier

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Isamuyasuo
Hayho everyone.

I created this "PrettySimpleToUse" .exe called osu!HDtoSD / osu!SDtoHD to "MakeSkinningEasier" for you and for me because im personaly bored
of copying and resizing of Skin elements. And i thought it would be a good idea to try out to make a scipt that makes
things easier. It almost close like 30-40% of all elements with just one click.

What does this program do?

HDtoSD:
This program creates inside of your folder a new folder called "SDtemp".

In this folder it copies all "example@2x" (HD) elements of .png and .jpg to this folder,
where this program is in use.
This program also resize them automaticaly after copying. It puts all "@2x" elements
-50% (half size) and re-name them into "example.png/.jpg" (SD).
The others elements he used for this progress doesnt get touched because of the -verbose command!

SDtoHD:
This program creates inside of your folder a new folder called "HDtemp".

In this folder it copies all elements of .png and .jpg.
After it resize all to 200% (double size).
Then it will delete all "example@2x" (oldHD elements if u have some) out if it.
After this program did that, it will re-name all still listed "example.png" elements (HD)
to "example@2x".

IMPORTANT:
Take care of the following HD picutures!
They "maybe" won´t be like you want (100% quality isn´t possible):
"fail-background"
"menu-background"
"pause-overlay"
"ranking-panel"
(and if u got FullScreen HD-elements of these:)
"count, count2, count3"
"section fail, section pass"

All other elements should work with nearly 100% quality!

Why i need to install ImageMagick before running the osu!HDtoSD.exe / osu! SDtoHD.exe?

This program was created with a .bat-file(batch).
And to resize them i was needed to use the command "mogrify".
But this mogrify doesnt work with batch or with command prombt (cmd).
The ImageMagick makes it possible to use this command with a batch file.
So if u don´t install this, the files will get copyied to the SD/HDtemp-folder and get re-named
but they won´t get the right size.
You can also check out the Index/Forum-link for more information.

Commands inside the cmd.exe:

That´s pretty simple.
First you open it u will see a "README" inside of the cmd.exe. You don´t need to read it because
it´s nothing special but you can do it.
Then you only need to "PRESS ENTER" and the progress starts to copy the files to the "SD/HDtemp"-folder with the right size.
-> Completed successfuly!

Some informations:

1. Always when u run this program it creates a "LICENSE.txt"-file. Make sure to delete it if u want to. ;)
2. Make sure that you download the right bit-version (32/64bit). Like we all know the 64bit won´t work on
a 32bit system. The 64bit can use both ways but the 64bit is the faster, better flowing one.
3. All your future .png´s will get called "Portable Network Graphics Image" (PNG). They are still the same it´s just IM that call it so.
4. The password is my profile name "Isamuyasuo". You also find it in the "HowTo".png and inside of the "LICENSE".

I was used to get some help from the forum "ImageMagick".
This forum is specially for imaging on cmd and more.
Here are some links i used to create it:

Index: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
Forum: http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/index.php
Download: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php
Exe-binaries: ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/binaries

Special thanks to the IMpeople who helped me creating it:
fmw42 // snibgo // ceepea

CLICK ME for the codes.

_dog
Thank you ;;
Newb1et
Now time to wait for a SD to HD skin app, if its possible. c:

I made a mistake to start with SD for a skin. :P

Awesome work!
Topic Starter
Isamuyasuo
NewUpgrade SDtoHD uploaded too. Have fun with it! ;)
Houtarou Oreki
Useful, thank you.
Newb1et
Wow that was fast. Anyways, thanks for making the SD to HD one, will try it out later! :)
Topic Starter
Isamuyasuo

Newb1et wrote:

Wow that was fast. Anyways, thanks for making the SD to HD one, will try it out later! :)
Have fun with it ;)
Woddles
I don't see in what situation a 'SDtoHD' program would be a good idea to use. All it would do is scale up the image right? That would make the new 'HD' image seem very low quality as it's just upscaling a smaller image.
Topic Starter
Isamuyasuo

Woddles wrote:

I don't see in what situation a 'SDtoHD' program would be a good idea to use. All it would do is scale up the image right? That would make the new 'HD' image seem very low quality as it's just upscaling a smaller image.
Well actually it counts on, for what u use it.
For example: The "Real HD" pictures that get resized from SDtoHD is a bad way that´s right. I would prefer to say they should go the way from HDtoSD for these.
But i counted all trouble maker out:
IMPORTANT:
Take care of the following HD picutures!
They "maybe" won´t be like you want (100% quality isn´t possible):
"fail-background"
"menu-background"
"pause-overlay"
"ranking-panel"
(and if u got FullScreen HD-elements of these:)
"count, count2, count3"
"section fail, section pass"

All other elements should work with nearly 100% quality!
The rest elements that osu! uses are mostly mono-coloured-pixels.
90-95% of all osu! pictures are mono that´s a really hard different to "Real-HD" because!:
HD pictures got a lot of colours inside of 1 pixel. So if you want to resize it to a bigger 1 it will 100%-ly get a bad resolution.
All the other pictures you need for an ous!-skin are mostly with 1 colour inside of 1 pixel. (You can check it out if u don´t know what i actually mean)
So ONLY THE ONCE i called out will make trouble the rest will work 100% with 100% quality.

It´s hard to explain without using special words for it. i hope u get what i mean here. So it´s not worse to create a SDtoHD script that does all your size work!
The "@2x" is the "HD"-resolution for osu!. But that doesnt mean that all pictures are actually "Real-HD" can´t explain it easier sorry for that.

But thanks for calling it maybe other got the same thinking about. Have fun with it! ;)

EDIT: IMPORTANT FOR ALL WHO CREATE a 100% HD osu!-skin. Then he would be right because all will be like the some i counted out. ONLY use the HDtoSD then!
AGRX
not for mac or linux ? this is not in java ? anyways i use photoshop batching and automation for down/upscaling.
Howl

Agrrox wrote:

not for mac or linux ? this is not in java ? anyways i use photoshop batching and automation for down/upscaling.
This program was created with a .bat-file(batch).
Mio Winter
Thanks! Much usefwl.

You can do the same with a simple batch file though, so you don't need the password. I edited it to suit my needs and commented heavily so that people can customise it for their needs. Uploaded it here.

It copies all the png and jpg elements with "@2x" in their filename, reduces them to half size and then renames them to their old name minus "@2x". It will replace original SD elements if they already exist. You need to install ImageMagick to make it work, otherwise it will just copy and rename without resizing.

Source code
@echo off
echo This program copies all png and jpg elements with "@2x" in their filenames,
echo reduces them to half size, and then renames them to their old name minus "@2x".
echo It will replace original SD elements if they already exist.
echo.
echo WARNING! You need to install ImageMagick for the resize command to work.
echo Otherwise it will just copy and rename the files without resizing.
echo Get it here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php
echo.
echo Original program by Isamuyaso, slightly edited for my purposes.
echo Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/354445
echo.
pause

rem Make a temporary directory "SDtemp"
mkdir SDtemp

rem Copy all png and jpg files with "@2x" in their names into "SDtemp".
copy *@2x*.png SDtemp
copy *@2x*.jpg SDtemp

rem Reduce the files to half size, using a command from ImageMagick.
magick mogrify -format png -resize 50%% SDtemp/*@2x*.png
magick mogrify -format jpg -resize 50%% SDtemp/*@2x*.jpg

pushd SDtemp
setlocal enableDelayedExpansion

rem Renames all png files.
for %%a in (*.png) do (
set "filename=%%~nxa"
set "purged_filename=!filename:@2x=!"
ren %%~nxa !purged_filename!
)

for %%a in (*.jpg) do (
set "filename=%%~nxa"
set "purged_filename=!filename:@2x=!"
ren %%~nxa !purged_filename!
)

endlocal

rem Move all png and jpg files into the directory above.
move *.png ..
move *.jpg ..

popd
rmdir /s /q SDtemp
echo.
echo You may get error messages if you don't have @2x jpg or png files. Just ignore them.
echo.
pause
Mariano
HD to SD 32bits
Broken link
AniWeeb27
Uhhh How Do I Use This What Files Do I Need To Download ;-;
RockRoller

AniWeeb27 wrote:

Uhhh How Do I Use This What Files Do I Need To Download ;-;
It looks like it doesnt work anymore / isnt available anymore. You should check out this program, which works and has active support.

Locking this post to prevent necros in the far future. @Isamuyasuo if you want to update the post feel free to PM me or another GM.