forum

[Archived] Collections being deleted

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Leslord
Problem Details: My collections are not there and always deleted when I create new ones. Every time I shut down osu!, the next time it is played, any collections I made are gone. I think he problem is that osu isn't running my collection file when it starts up, only when I create a new collection and only the new collection is accessed.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

This shows the collections folder hasn't been changed since the last date I created a new collection, now when I run it there are no collections.

The dates are far apart but I don't think it is the update since the same thing happens after I create a new collection then rerun osu!.

Their seems to be a problem with accessing the collections file, since the collection only remains until I close osu! and the files remains unchanged until I create a new collection.

What do I do to fix this and if the problem is not the accessing of the collections file then what could it be and how do I fix it? I can provide more info if needed.

osu! version: 20150802 (latest)
VeilStar
Do you have any collection.db files with a file extension that is a longer number string? (Eg collection.db.6465165156849877981.)
Also, make sure that the file isn't set to read-only.

If all else fails, could you see if copying osu! to a different location and running it from there gets youn the same behaviour?
Topic Starter
Leslord

VeilStar wrote:

Do you have any collection.db files with a file extension that is a longer number string? (Eg collection.db.6465165156849877981.)
Also, make sure that the file isn't set to read-only.

If all else fails, could you see if copying osu! to a different location and running it from there gets youn the same behaviour?
No, there isn't another file with a longer string of numbers and I don't recall deleting one and it isn't in my recycling bin, the file also is not set to read-only. I already have the file moved from where it was created to my desktop, I had moved it to try and fix the problem a while ago and it doesn't seem to have helped. I don't recall deleting a collection.db file with a longer stream and it isn't in my recycling bin.

I don't know how I could recreate a collection.db file with a longer string, is there a way to do so? Also, should I delete the files and re-install osu? (after copying skins and songs ofc.) I know I've re-installed a few times now due to things getting messed up before, I can't remember what the reason I re-installed was each time but it's possible I deleted it trying to fix a problem and forgot.
VeilStar

JeanDipping wrote:

I don't know how I could recreate a collection.db file with a longer string, is there a way to do so?
You shouldn't create one. When there's an issue with a .db file (such as collections.db or osu!.db) osu! renames the current one to .db.<number> and creates a new one. I was asking if you had such files in your osu! folder as it could indicate permissions issues or data in the .db being incorrect or corrupt.

JeanDipping wrote:

Also, should I delete the files and re-install osu?
Nope. Re-installing is pretty much always a waste of time. Issues that can be solved by re-installing can also be solved through the configuration window, which is brought up by holding shift whens starting osu!.

Anyhow, all of that being said I'm pretty clueless as to what the issue could be. I've never seen anything like this.
Topic Starter
Leslord
Alright, well thanks for the info. I hope someone else has encountered this and knows what to do.
abraker
Let me take a shot at this.

Try running osu! as admin. If your collections still get deleted tell me what happens when you do this:
  • make a collection in osu!
    if the collection file has changed, make a backup of the collection file
    Close osu!
    Apply the backup
    Start osu!
If the collection file has not changed size, close osu! and see if it changes size then. This will indicate whether the collections are being deleted upon shutting osu! down or when starting it up and when the collection is saved.
Topic Starter
Leslord
So I ran it as admin and that might have fixed it.

JeanDipping wrote:

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

This shows the collections folder hasn't been changed since the last date I created a new collection, now when I run it there are no collections.

The dates are far apart but I don't think it is the update since the same thing happens after I create a new collection then rerun osu!.
(Took this from my original post)
But I also failed to realize that from the first to second screenshot my collections folder goes from 3kb to 1kb. So creating the new collection deleted the old ones that weren't being accessed and seemingly couldn't be. So I don't think it was the running as admin that allowed me to access the folders upon closing and running. I think I've ran osu! as an admin multiple times before, not to fix anything, just because. Which makes me think it's something else that is not allowing me to access the collections. But now it isn't deleting/not accessing my collections so I can't test what you said in your previous post.

abraker wrote:

• make a collection in osu!
    if the collection file has changed, make a backup of the collection file
    Close osu!
    Apply the backup
    Start osu!
If the collection file has not changed size, close osu! and see if it changes size then. This will indicate whether the collections are being deleted upon shutting osu! down or when starting it up and when the collection is saved.
But I've created new collections only to have them deleted and inaccessible in a few days two or three times before, which makes me think this hasn't been solved yet. It could correlate with my beatmaps all having to be re-added as if I was clicking "Solo" for the first time with all of my songs, but my collections only disappear randomly, as well as the beatmap re-installment seems to be random. I probably should have said this in the first post but I didn't think of much of a correlation until now. I'm even more confused now, but my collection isn't gone yet so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if my beatmaps reset or if my collections go away.

Thanks for the help! (Even though we're still not sure the admin thing is what worked, I guess I'll post again if the collections disappear again, if they stay for a long time without disappearing then I'll say so with many more thanks :3:3:3 ) :3
Nekonyan
I guess that is the problem on permission when osu! is trying to write new collection code in your collection.db.
If the problem still persists, you could try to balance the permission by use "repair osu!" option or Reset folder permission on Options.