forum

Where should I be in osu!mania with no past experience?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DEAR SPARK
Hihi, so I've decided to label myself a 4K player since my space bar doesn't actually work and it feels awkward having it bound to any other key, and aside from playing Rock Band Unplugged on my PSP in like 2009 so much I could complete Painkiller without looking at my screen I have absolutely no experience with any game like this.

Currently in osu!mania I'm like about rank 74K and I've been playing for a few days now. I know there's no way to tell where a person should actually be since everybody is different, but am I shit and should totally quit or..?
Agka
you should not be worrying about your rank at all if you actually have zero experience.
just have fun until you actually think you're good enough to aim for scores.
Bad Apple
If you have no experience, then you shouldn't worry too much about rank 74k.
Don't forget, everyone starts small and noone is a pro from the very beginning on. It took me roughly 1 month to get into the Top 50k, another one to get to the Top 20k. So take your time, play as long as you enjoy the game and most importantly; have fun while doing so!

Focusing too much on your rank won't be nearly as satisfying as just playing what- and whenever you want, not caring if you're top 100 or top 100k :3
Bobbias
Things to know about mania:

1: Autoconverts have terrible patterns. If you're serious about this game mode, avoid them unless you really just want to play for the music.

2: When you begin playing, your rank will rise quickly, when you fill your Top Scores list (as visible on your profile) it will slow down, because only scores in your top scores list will count towards your PP (which is what determines your rank).

3: Everyone learns at a different pace. Don't try to compare your learning against someone else and feel bad if they're learning faster than you.

4: Skill walls happen, keep playing and eventually you will beat them, but sometimes it can take a while.

5: Osu!Mania and other Vertical Scrolling Rhythm Games reward dedication. In standard, even at low skill levels it's possible to watch a player and notice that maybe their aim is causing them problems, but they can hot the keys fast enough. Because timing and aim are two separate things, you can practice one without the other in standard. This is not the case in mania, meaning there's no real way to train separate skills at low levels.

6: You will get better, even if t feels like you're not.

7: Go read t/146615 and actually read the first few pages.

8: Have fun, and don't worry about ranking or PP. If you legitimately want to get good, the most important thing is to play songs out of your comfort zone in the beginning. When you start out, it's easy to panic and get overwhelmed by maps that feel too hard. Don't quit out when this happens, try your hardest to hit everything you see. Doing this will help you improve much more than focusing on improving an an A to an S, or a low S to a much higher S.
-Maus-
If you actually got to 74k in few days then it's actually a nice one :v
Aqo
get a new keyboard

how did you even manage to write that op if your spacebar doesn't work. it has a lot of spaces in it
play 7k
-Maus-

Aqo wrote:

play 7k
lemonguy

Transformau5 wrote:

Aqo wrote:

play 7k
Cuppp

Aqo wrote:

get a new keyboard
play 7k
Valedict
stepmania
Hinpoppo

Aqo wrote:

get a new keyboard
play 7k
Don't make the mistake a lot of us have made. Going back to trash level to learn 7k/8k is extremely painful.
-Maus-
I feel lucky that I learned 7k before even starting ranked mania maps lol
Hinpoppo

Transformau5 wrote:

I feel lucky that I learned 7k before even starting ranked mania maps lol
Can I sign a blood contract with you to not suck at 7k? :^]
Aqo
when you play 7K you basically play 4K with one hand while still doing other stuff at the same time
Hinpoppo

Aqo wrote:

when you play 7K you basically play 4K with one hand while still doing other stuff at the same time
I'm f*kt.