forum

[Archived] Osu says it's up to date but continues to update

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Quickslice
So, after the new update came out, Osu has been acting strangely. It's been constantly doing this everytime I tried and seems as if it's missing a file. I managed to capture what happens everytime in a gif in the link below

http://gyazo.com/9dddc9f8a21da608f752b6bace272001

osu! version: 20150414.2
Andrea
Have you tried restarting your pc after doing the update? Maybe something got stuck and it's repeating over and over.

Otherwise try checking your internet and make sure everything is actually working properly.
Trosk-
Try what is said here.
Topic Starter
Quickslice
I checked everything that could effect it and it all works smoothly(well, at least at the time of the many repeating updates), that shouldn't be a problem. Restarting doesn't help either :/
As for Trosk- , Windows XP service pack 3 didn't change a thing.
Trosk-

Quickslice wrote:

I checked everything that could effect it and it all works smoothly(well, at least at the time of the many repeating updates), that shouldn't be a problem. Restarting doesn't help either :/
As for Trosk- , Windows XP service pack 3 didn't change a thing.
I don't know then. Some users are getting this problem and I don't know why or what is happening. I guess we'll have to wait a bit to see what is going on.
abraker
If you can't break out of the update loop, try this:
Try holding shift when osu! starts to bring up the menu and change release stream. If that doesn't work, download the installer and install over osu!.
Topic Starter
Quickslice
Holding shift when it starts didn't open any menu's. It's only open for a couple seconds anyway, so I don't think it would have time to register.
Also, re installing over the original osu did not help.
After going through a couple more rounds of updating, I noticed that it seems to not be downloading the 13/12th file and goes straight to the download.uii.(can't remember this part). While, I don't know what the file is exactly, maybe it's constantly re-downloading because it's not downloading and Osu detects that it's missing and begins downloading and installing again? If so, does anybody know if the developer(s) have a forum page that gives us the files without downloading them through the laucher?
Nekonyan
try to move out all of your osu! file (except osu!exe and Songs folder) into somewhere (maybe you could put them all into new folder but still in the same folder with osu!) and open osu.exe then let it update. Tell us if that works.
Topic Starter
Quickslice
Didn't work. However, I noticed that there almost seems to be a lack of files. I dunno though, I haven't really payed attention to the amount files Osu has.
http://gyazo.com/c2df530b868e7137310b4ab0eaad4b9a
This was all that Osu! had^
Trosk-

Quickslice wrote:

Didn't work. However, I noticed that there almost seems to be a lack of files. I dunno though, I haven't really payed attention to the amount files Osu has.
http://gyazo.com/c2df530b868e7137310b4ab0eaad4b9a
This was all that Osu! had^
What installation is that? The one that you were using or the one that you created to test if it would work? Because if it seems like that after trying to download the archives there is something really wrong there.

Quickslice wrote:

I noticed that it seems to not be downloading the 13/12th file and goes straight to the download.uii.(can't remember this part). While, I don't know what the file is exactly, maybe it's constantly re-downloading because it's not downloading and Osu detects that it's missing and begins downloading and installing again? If so, does anybody know if the developer(s) have a forum page that gives us the files without downloading them through the laucher?
I saw that another user said this yesterday. Maybe could be a problem with the download of this archive (osu!.ui.dll if I'm not wrong.) and that causes the loop. I'm not sure though.
And no, there isn't a way to download archives.

Just in case, here is my osu!.ui.dll. Could you try to drag it into your osu! installation and see if it skips that part of the update?
Nekonyan

Nagashurai wrote:

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but during my experience with this running it as an Administrator fixes the problem I would encounter. I went to the exe for osu and set it to only run as administrator once it worked for me.
Ladies Night
Just in case, here is my osu!.ui.dll. Could you try to drag it into your osu! installation and see if it skips that part of the update?
I tried your osu!.ui.dll for my osu! updater, it seemed to reduce the files from 13 to 12, however it skipped the last 2 files just like before and went on to download osu!gameplay.dll_patch and then your osu!.ui.dll file disappears from the folder and osu! updater then reverts back to downloading 13 files and again skips the last 2 files and repeats the process of updating.
Trosk-

Harry wrote:

I tried your osu!.ui.dll for my osu! updater, it seemed to reduce the files from 13 to 12, however it skipped the last 2 files just like before and went on to download osu!gameplay.dll_patch and then your osu!.ui.dll file disappears from the folder and osu! updater then reverts back to downloading 13 files and again skips the last 2 files and repeats the process of updating.
Then I don't actually know at the moment... Today's update was supposed to fix it, as far as I know. I suppose that we will to wait and see what happens... I'm sorry.
Topic Starter
Quickslice
' For Neko-I've been running Osu on admin ever since this problem started and it hasn't helped a thing.
For Trosk- The osu.uii.dl didn't help but it led me to an interesting discovery. I kept the Osu! file open when just to see if it was actually putting files into the folder.
http://gyazo.com/f57dc4fa029e72808409ab9fff41ea99 explains that. But, within about 5 seconds, all those files disappear completely.
I also tried downloading a song and using to instigate Osu. The game crashed as soon as the launcher ended.
Trosk-

Quickslice wrote:

I also tried downloading a song and using to instigate Osu. The game crashed as soon as the launcher ended.
Did you get a crash message? Could you copy and paste the crashlog here? Could be useful for some people.

And regarding the update loop, I don't actually know what is causing it... I think that we will wait to see what happens. I'm sorry.
VeilStar
o.O The downloaded files are constantly being deleted and re-downloaded..?

This comment is probably way out there, but are you sure it's not some anti-virus software or whatever causing this?
Rapsodyas
I do not use antivirus and I have the same problem. Let's wait a new update. :(
Topic Starter
Quickslice
For Trosk- : It's okay. I understand that everything can't be fixed. Also, I didn't get any log. It just out right disappered. Also, I tried to replicate the problem and it didn't happen again.
For Veil: Nothing changes. I wouldn't understand why any antivirus would flag this though, especially since it didn't before.
Rapsodyas
Someone could upload the osu a .rar to see if the problem is the updater?
VeilStar
If you guys switch to the beta release stream through the config window (which you can bring up by holding shift when opening osu!.exe) does that download properly, or does it loop aswell?
nvkhoi

VeilStar wrote:

If you guys switch to the beta release stream through the config window (which you can bring up by holding shift when opening osu!.exe) does that download properly, or does it loop aswell?
All of them (Stable, Beta, Cutting Edge) loop infinitely!
Topic Starter
Quickslice
Sorry for the late reply guys.
Anyway,
Is there any place where I can find the .rar . Is it in my Osu folder?
As for Veil, It's impossible for me to change it between releases due to the fact the Osu doesn't stay open long enough to allow me to tinker with it.
VeilStar
peppy doesn't seem to like it when people upload copies of osu! and share them so I guess I won't do that.

Hold shift when opening osu! for the config window to pup up. You can always change release streams in there.

Anyway, since none of the suggestions worked...
Try installing osu! (a fresh install) elsewhere on your PC and hope it works somewhat properly.
If it does copy over the user content from your previous (looping) installation.
I'd normally never advise this, but I'm out of ideas.
nvkhoi

VeilStar wrote:

peppy doesn't seem to like it when people upload copies of osu! and share them so I guess I won't do that.

Hold shift when opening osu! for the config window to pup up. You can always change release streams in there.

Anyway, since none of the suggestions worked...
Try installing osu! (a fresh install) elsewhere on your PC and hope it works somewhat properly.
If it does copy over the user content from your previous (looping) installation.
I'd normally never advise this, but I'm out of ideas.
I've already try that and IT DIDN'T WORK AT ALL!
:( :( :(
Trosk-
From t/355865

TheVileOne wrote:

Could you hover over the message on the updater and tell which file is being updated? Also provide any information about your _staging or _pending folder during the update. These folders are hidden and will get removed after the update process finishes. You can show hidden files and folders by going to Organize -> Folder and Search options -> View and it's in the list of options.
peppy
Please follow these steps:

* Download this osu!.exe and replace your existing one.
* Run osu!
* Wait until the update process fails.
* Find update_log.txt in your osu! folder.
* Paste into forum.
Ladies Night
peppy
These logs make it look like the update process ran successfully. What are you seeing on your screen?
vesai1
I think it may miss the localisation since at the start it says downloading localisation but the folder localisation is either empty or there is empty file.
peppy
vesai1: did you follow my instructions
show more