forum

[resolved] Stutter/Skipping on both cutting-edge and stable (win7/10)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Fairly self-explanatory video below. I've had this kind of stutter/skipping for ages on cutting-edge, but after today's mini-update i have the same on stable (little less but highly annoying). Basically the notes skip every 0.5-1 second as is visible after about 14 seconds in the video (watch it on 60fps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEz-msD4i-U

Specs if needed:
i7-3930k @ 4.2
32gb 1866 ram
gtx770 / 353.63
Win10 64bit
Trosk-
If you started to have this problem today on Stable and you alread had it on CE, maybe you are using OpenGL on Stable, because todays update didn't change almost anything (or seems like).

Well, could you change to Cutting Edge and record a video or take a screenshot with the performance graph (Ctrl+F11) opened? (If it doesn't bother you, obviously.)

Also, check that you don't have any background process taking much resources.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
That video was recorded with directx on stable with every non-essential background process killed.

Some screens from cutting-edge:
120fps cap
240fps cap
No fps cap

Can record a vid if needed, but the graph tends to go nuts with red lines while recording.
Nekonyan
Have you checked your display driver?
Trosk-
Do you see some weird points or spikes on the graph when you get the stuttering? If so, could you take a screenshot at the moment of the stuttering? Because that graphs seem pretty normal. I would have said this on my last post, I'm sorry.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
No worries, i'll give as much info as i can. I've been trying to figure this out but i'm absolutely baffled by it.

Nekonyan wrote:

Have you checked your display driver?
I had the same issue on cutting-edge even when using driver versions 347.88, 350.12, and 353.30 back on win7. I didn't have any issue on stable even after upgrading to win10 with 353.63, that started after the update today.

Trosk- wrote:

Do you see some weird points or spikes on the graph when you get the stuttering? If so, could you take a screenshot at the moment of the stuttering? Because that graphs seem pretty normal.
I'm currently encoding a vid i recorded on cutting edge, will add a post when that ones done and uploaded.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Video is up. I've rotated through the various frame caps on both 1x and 0.5x speed to show as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKuMsTYX3A
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Update since yesterday.

Ran ram diagnostic tests overnight which showed nothing wrong. Loaded the entire 18gig osu client onto a ramdisk just now and the issue persists which eliminates it being my HD/SSDs. Here's a benchmark of said ramdisk.

http://puu.sh/jljXc/6fcb30e026.png

I'm running out of things to try on my end, my gtx980ti is currently out on RMA but when i tested cutting-edge before that the same issue was present there.
abraker
From what I can see, it tends to spazz out with the red lines at certain intervals. Is that the issue, or are you refering to a different type of spikes?

Also, can you get process explorer and see how much of the GPU osu! uses when the spikes occur vs when spikes don't occur?
Topic Starter
Tifyron
The red lines are only during recording, there are none during normal play.

GPU use hovers around 18-19% during play, no visible spikes in either process explorer or precision x/afterburner.

Edit: Just to clarify the above was on stable with directx. I've included an image below from cutting-edge, parts highlighted in blue are while playing the song with the visible stutter/skips. Both situations were with fps cap at unlimited.

http://puu.sh/jmik8/912193a06b.jpg
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Just to update, same issues on b20150803-1.
peppy
Screenshots of frame graph when not recording please. Also stable updates changed nothing (nor does stable performance matter, since we are dropping directx).
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Screens from b20150803-2 as requested.

120fps cap
240fps cap
unlimited

GL_info.txt if needed
GL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.62
GL Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
GL Shader Language version: 4.50 NVIDIA
GL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GL Extensions: GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_bindless_texture GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_clip_control GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_cull_distance GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_derivative_control GL_ARB_direct_state_access GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_indirect_parameters GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_NV_internalformat_sample_query GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_pipeline_statistics_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters GL_ARB_shader_group_vote GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_query_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shader_texture_image_samples GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_sparse_buffer GL_ARB_sparse_texture GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_barrier GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_texture_view GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_ARB_transform_feedback_overflow_query GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback2 GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_EXT_import_sync_object GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_KHR_robustness GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect_count GL_NV_bindless_texture GL_NV_blend_equation_advanced GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_command_list GL_NV_compute_program5 GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_draw_texture GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility GL_NV_ES3_1_compatibility GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_gpu_program4_1 GL_NV_gpu_program5 GL_NV_gpu_program5_mem_extended GL_NV_gpu_program_fp64 GL_NV_gpu_shader5 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2 GL_NV_path_rendering GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_atomic_counters GL_NV_shader_atomic_float GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_multisample GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_transform_feedback2 GL_NV_uniform_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info GL_NVX_nvenc_interop GL_NV_shader_thread_group GL_NV_shader_thread_shuffle GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
GL Context: Index: 8, Color: 32 (8888), Depth: 24, Stencil: 0, Samples: 0, Accum: 64 (16161616), Buffers: 2, Stereo: False
abraker
By looking at the unlimited screenshot it's hard to believe that you are having noticeable lag spikes.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
That's why it is so hard to figure out. It's not that the performance in general is low or anything, but the jumps make it unplayable as it directly affects accuracy.

If you watch the last video i posted on 60fps it's very easy to see the notes jump every half second or so, and i assure you that is unrelated to the red spikes due to recording.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Probably the last video i'm going to make, completely out of ideas at this point. If there's any suggestions short of pulling out hardware, i'm all ears. :/

This is on a freshly formatted drive, on a fresh osu install, with only 1 song loaded, no skins loaded, and all options turned down. Reverted to an earlier nvidia driver, which made no difference. Installed the latest audio drivers, mobo drivers, and so on.. and even turned off my cpu overclock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjwBXGhHXQ
peppy
At 240fps I don't see any stuttering in that video. Am I missing something?
Topic Starter
Tifyron
The jumps are definately there, if anything it is slightly less at unlimited (still unplayable however). I'm playing on a 120hz monitor and it's worse than the video shows even.

I tried recording a video at 120fps before that one but it was messing with performance too much to be an accurate representation of the issue.
Tom94
Are you running on multiple monitors, some of them with a lower-than-120hz refresh rate? If yes, then that's the problem. With windows 10 if you have a window (e.g. TeamSpeak 3 is a known offender, or even the taskbar) doing some animation on another screen, then your main screen falls back to 60hz. This unfortunately is an issue with windows itself.

The only way to completely get rid of this is to run osu! in fullscreen mode. If you prefer osu! to still be run in a smaller window than fullscreen, then you can try the cutting edge or beta release streams. We have a letterboxing feature there which lets you achieve this while in fullscreen mode.

An alternative would be to try disabling your taskbar for all screens except for your main screen and see whether this helps. This won't fix remaining issues with other programs such as TeamSpeak 3.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
I'm running 2 at 120, a samsung S27A950D + acer GD245HQ. I've tried them separately with the other unplugged, tried killing everything in the background including explorer, running a single one at 60hz, and running osu in fullscreen with 1@120hz/1@60hz/2@120hz/2@60hz.

The interesting thing is that i had this issue with stutters on cutting-edge before i upgraded to win10.

I'm going to do a fresh install of both win7 and win10 on dualboot after the weekend, i was contemplating doing that for a while now and this gives me a reason to. I have a feeling that whatever was causing this on win7 got transferred over during the upgrade to win10 in the first place, so i'll report back here after the reinstall is done.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Back with an update. Took a bit longer than expected but i have reinstalled win7, first couple tests on nvidia driver 355.60 are not looking good as the stutter/skipping is still there.

This is basically a fresh fully updated win7 with nothing installed except drivers, the SSD it is installed on only has windows and osu on it. I did a bunch of tests with only my main monitor hooked up at 60hz and 120hz in both fullscreen and windowed mode, it made no difference. Tested on both stable and cutting-edge.

I do want to add that osu is the only game that is having stutter/skipping issues like this. My other server pc (i7-920/gtx580) has no issues, and i've been playing on that one out of necessity since these issues with my main pc continue to happen (not really an option long-term for various reasons). I'm probably going to pull the 580 out of there and test it in my main pc, but i very much doubt that is going to do anything.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Another update, I've narrowed it down to being a sound related issue. I've ditched Win10 for now (too many other issues) so this is on Win7.

Basically any song that is a 100% hit sounded map like Imperishable Night has no stutter whatsoever and runs 100% smoothly. Any other song that has music in the background still has stutter regardless of settings in-game (fps cap/volume/etc).

More importantly, the problem has lessened significantly with some of the later cutting edge updates, I don't know which one specifically since I didn't update the one on this pc for a week and a half or so. It is still unplayable with the stutter however, just not completely nauseating to look at like before.

Things tested:
- Any possible combination monitor resolutions, screen refresh, and single/dual screen (tested this again just in case, but didn't change anything).
- Multiple sound drivers tested (base version, updated through win7, and the very latest directly from the vendor website), no difference between any of them so I just kept the very latest version.
- Sound outputs, no difference between optical/direct and any combination of speaker/amp/headphones I had available to swap.
VeilStar
Sounds like an issue with your sound drivers, or something related to that. While I didn't have a close enough look a few months back, you can clearly see all notes stopping to fall down for a split second now and again.
Topic Starter
Tifyron
Final update, no issues on cutting-edge since a week or so.

Whatever changes have been made behind the scenes seem to have fixed the issues (hopefully it stays that way).

Feel free to mark this as resolved.