forum

[Rule] The minimum draining time for a map must be 1 minute

posted
Total Posts
show more
Wafu

monstrata wrote:

Rule: The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds.
Guideline: If the potential drain time for a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute.
But, why do we need to make 2 things, just make a rule that is providing an exception, potential also is not the right word imo, that would cause people asking whether they can have song less than minute or not. Potential could mean remix, lowered BPM or loop.

The minimum draining time for a map must be 30 seconds. If original version of the song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining time for the map must be 1 minute with an exception of official cuts.
Official cuts = i.e. TV Size. Short Ver. provided by artist
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

monstrata wrote:

Rule: The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds.
Guideline: If the potential drain time for a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute.
But, why do we need to make 2 things, just make a rule that is providing an exception, potential also is not the right word imo, that would cause people asking whether they can have song less than minute or not. Potential could mean remix, lowered BPM or loop.

The minimum draining time for a map must be 30 seconds. If original version of the song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining time for the map must be 1 minute with an exception of official cuts.
Official cuts = i.e. TV Size. Short Ver. provided by artist
but then we'd still have the issue of actual full length songs that are just above one minute but cant achive 1 minute full drain time. Thats why I'm saying, this should only apply to cuts made by the mapper.
Wafu
It applies only to cuts made by mapper. "with an exception of official cuts"
Mercurial

Wafu wrote:

Finally someone gets it.
Maeglwn

Mercurial wrote:

Wafu wrote:

Finally someone gets it.
this, jesus :P was really surprised more people didn't understand this
quaternary
I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked. By that logic, we should also be unranking anything over 6 minutes because they are also less popular than 2minute/3minute songs. While we're at it, let's make only anime opening theme songs rankable, other genres are clearly less popular. Oh, and Hard, Insane, or Extra diffs are the most popular, so Easy and Normal should be unranked. As well as modes other than Standard.

You wouldn't ask "what is your favorite osu! mode", and then when the result is Standard, unrank Taiko, CTB, and Mania, right? That's just idiotic. I don't see how this poll is any different.
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

I am not talking about official cuts. And if you want to include short songs, that I brought up (example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/301072),
which are only barely over a minute, then you should clarify the wording to prevent confusion
and future conflicts.

How about:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the song was custom cut by the mapper, the minimum draining (play) time must exceed 1 minute. This is to prevent mappers from excessively and unreasonably cut songs and preventing a full experience, while
still allowing the option to shorten songs that have an overly repetitive beat/tune to prevent boredom while playing and mapping.
Mercurial

Snaggletooth wrote:

How about:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the song was custom cut by the mapper, the minimum draining (play) time must exceed 1 minute. This is to prevent mappers from excessively and unreasonably cut songs and preventing a full experience, while
still allowing the option to shorten songs that have an overly repetitive beat/tune to prevent boredom while playing and mapping.
Yes and no.

Yes for what you said.

No for "Yeah, I've got this sweet song I do want to map but I don't to spend much time on it. Uhm, great idea! What about cutting off this 2:15 song to 1 minute or so? It's perfect!"

I'm okay with the "85% of the song mapped" option.

tuddster wrote:

I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked.
"Hur dur, I hate short maps because they bring nothing to the game because Muh opinions > your opinions".

That kind of people.
Wafu

Snaggletooth wrote:

This is almost the same thing I said, just longer and more complicated because it allows another exception.

If the cut was officially used somewhere, you are allowed to use it under 1 minute - That means any cut which were done by mapper or other person (this only talks about mapper, which is pretty questionable and there would soon be people making soundcloud, cutting it and uploading it as some another artist with "no, I did not cut it, it is some other person's cut".

Was covering this as well. Official cut = exactly the same song you are mapping, but shortened by artist or someone else to use it in official source. This still allows you to cut maps on yourself if it will be longer than 1 minute. If there is a problem for someone to understand that it is equal to your wording, just simpler, the problem is on the other side, this is as obvious as it just could be.

Nevertheless mapping TV Size versions and so on is a bit lazy, but might have reasons - Including video, thus presenting the anime a little, but cutting them manually is just lazy and I did never see a reason to cut it unless there were really unmappable parts.
TheLukay
I don't think this rule makes any sense.
There weren't big complaints over the last years, so why now.
There was a lot said already so I don't have really anything to add, but I just think this doesn't feel right.
I enjoy every lenght of maps. Although I like long maps over 5 minutes the most, the short ones are still fun.
And that's what this game is about, right?
Liiraye

Mercurial wrote:

Snaggletooth wrote:

How about:

Yes and no.

Yes for what you said.

No for "Yeah, I've got this sweet song I do want to map but I don't to spend much time on it. Uhm, great idea! What about cutting off this 2:15 song to 1 minute or so? It's perfect!"

I'm okay with the "85% of the song mapped" option.

tuddster wrote:

I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked.
"Hur dur, I hate short maps because they bring nothing to the game because Muh opinions > your opinions".

That kind of people.
I'm not sure where you found that 85% mapped proposal but I have mapped and seen several maps with long intros that are quite unmappable or really doesn't need that much of it mapped. Further restrictions like that are bound to decrease quality of some songs. I might have misunderstood you but yeh
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

This is almost the same thing I said, just longer and more complicated because it allows another exception.

If the cut was officially used somewhere, you are allowed to use it under 1 minute - That means any cut which were done by mapper or other person (this only talks about mapper, which is pretty questionable and there would soon be people making soundcloud, cutting it and uploading it as some another artist with "no, I did not cut it, it is some other person's cut".

Was covering this as well. Official cut = exactly the same song you are mapping, but shortened by artist or someone else to use it in official source. This still allows you to cut maps on yourself if it will be longer than 1 minute. If there is a problem for someone to understand that it is equal to your wording, just simpler, the problem is on the other side, this is as obvious as it just could be.

Nevertheless mapping TV Size versions and so on is a bit lazy, but might have reasons - Including video, thus presenting the anime a little, but cutting them manually is just lazy and I did never see a reason to cut it unless there were really unmappable parts.
Then I really think the word 'cut' is what strikes me odd here. I don't disagree with you, I think I misunderstood or
perhaps we misunderstood eachother.
When you say 'officially cut' songs, I think about TV sizes. I think about intros, I wanted to adress
short songs that have an intro, a vers, chourse and an outro in just above one minute. I thought that these
exceptionally short and full songs would be banned with this rule.
Wafu

Snaggletooth wrote:

Wafu wrote:

Then I really think the word 'cut' is what strikes me odd here. I don't disagree with you, I think I misunderstood or
perhaps we misunderstood eachother.
When you say 'officially cut' songs, I think about TV sizes. I think about intros, I wanted to adress
short songs that have an intro, a vers, chourse and an outro in just above one minute. I thought that these
exceptionally short and full songs would be banned with this rule.
Oh yeah, the 'with exceptions' means that all other cuts can be done, but must be 1 minute and above :)
Lanturn
Maps don't even get abused enough to need this "1 minute cut" rule thing. It's pretty pointless. Just let mappers map what they want. A guideline at best, but still pointless.

Also, back on topic. No to the 1 minute rule that was originally proposed, and definitely no to this new one that you guys kinda took over the thread with.
Gnoske
I think 45 secs min is nice, 1min is too much to be a minimum
Makoa
has there been a single comment anywhere yet in support of this exact rule?
Mercurial

Makoa wrote:

has there been a single comment anywhere yet in support of this exact rule?
No, fucking, one.
whymeman
Honestly, I wouldn't use only "votes" to decide what rule should work or not. They should come here and post there thoughts about it. There wasn't much of a problem with 40 second maps anyways. Yes they are short, but it doesn't mean they can't be fun. One main reason I can see people complaining is the total score being much smaller than average maps. So what? If score is the only reason to force this rule then i'm against it. Forcing such a rule would kill maps like these in the future and i've yet to see short maps become a plague to the BSS in general.
Bonsai

Lanturn wrote:

Maps don't even get abused enough to need this "1 minute cut" rule thing. It's pretty pointless. Just let mappers map what they want. A guideline at best, but still pointless.

Also, back on topic. No to the 1 minute rule that was originally proposed, and definitely no to this new one that you guys kinda took over the thread with.
Just because something doesn't get abused right now is not a an argument against preventing that abuse in the future (regardless whether cutting a song is an abuse or not, just logically speaking).
This thread hasn't been taken over, Loctav proposed this new wording himself (x)

Wafu wrote:

Snaggletooth wrote:

This is almost the same thing I said, ...

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but your wording still doesn't cover songs that haven't been cut at all, meaning a song that is originally (= not cut in any way) 1:02 long but has an unmappable intro, outro etc. won't be rankable. At least for me, "official cuts" excludes official non-cuts. Snaggletooth's wording covered this.

Wafu wrote:

... it allows another exception.

How about this:
The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the song was custom cut by someone other than the official source, the minimum draining (play) time must exceed 1 minute.
It shouldn't be a problem to identify who is official and who isn't, right?

Also, I'm against the percentage-limit, because (as previously mentioned) this immensly varies from song to song, I don't think you can set a general rule on something that diversified.
Wafu
@Bonsai

"Sorry if I'm mistaken, but your wording still doesn't cover songs that haven't been cut at all, meaning a song that is originally (= not cut in any way) 1:02 long but has an unmappable intro, outro etc. won't be rankable. At least for me, "official cuts" excludes official non-cuts. Snaggletooth's wording covered this."

Official non-cuts are covered in my wording. There is said that the 1-minute applies only if official version is longer than 1 minute. That means if opening is 40 second long as a full version, it is excluded from 1 minute rule, as well as official cuts are excluded - that is here just to prove that if official cut is less than minute, but original is longer, you are still allowed to use it, because it is official. Same applies to full version which are shorter than minute - if is, 1 minute rule doesn't apply, because original version is shorter than minute.

Your wording actually conflicts with other rule. That is if less than 80% of mp3 is unused, you have to cut it. If original was shorter than one minute, you couldn't fulfill both rules. I covered the same stuff as Snaggletooth, just shorter.
Bonsai

Wafu wrote:

Official non-cuts are covered in my wording. There is said that the 1-minute applies only if official version is longer than 1 minute. That means if opening is 40 second long as a full version, it is excluded from 1 minute rule, ...
So what about my example, a song that is one minute and two seconds long?

Wafu wrote:

Your wording actually conflicts with other rule. That is if less than 80% of mp3 is unused, you have to cut it. If original was shorter than one minute, you couldn't fulfill both rules. ...
I see. But if you have to cut an already short song because of the 80%-rule, wouldn't that possibly be a case of not giving "sufficiently long gameplay experience" then? If not, what about excluding short songs from the 80%-rule? : \
DakeDekaane
You guys are overthinking a lot about this with ambiguous wordings.

I'd say we better keep the rule add it is, and let modders, Nominators and QAT to encourage mapping songs with a proper length, in case of the ridiculous cuts.
Endaris

DakeDekaane wrote:

I'd say we better keep the rule add it is, and let modders, Nominators and QAT to encourage mapping songs with a proper length, in case of the ridiculous cuts.
As it is, not add, right?

things i wrote before noticing the typo
Wow, why?
This rule is based on stupid assumptions.
The poll never implied that the community is not willing to take maps of less than 1min length and there was no evidence in the first place that someone would take this poll to say that 30s maps should be banned.
What the community is doing here is taking Loctav's proposal and try to give some sense to it by adding extra criteria that give some more sense to the rule.
If you would actually do a poll whether the community wants this rule or not we might get a more representative result than the current poll that is pretty much unrelated to the suggested rule.
There were already many good arguments given why this rule should
Mercurial

DakeDekaane wrote:

You guys are overthinking a lot about this with ambiguous wordings.

Against the Sun has been qualified with such a RIDICULOUS CUT (About 2 friggin' minutes, with 46 seconds of draining time). Things like that one shouldn't be allowed.
Spayyce
makes absolutely 0 sense lol
Mafumafu
I'd hope this could be just a guideline.

The question is what is the aim of this rule. Just simply forcing the map length to be over 1 minute or avoiding unreasonable cuts.
It would be better to be the latter one.
Avoiding ridiculous cuts is really a great idea. It shows the respect of the composer and the responsibility as a mapper or a member of the community.
There're maps I saw in my playing osu! that, some mappers simply cut the chorus part of a song and map it. This is not good imo. It's showing you are too lazy (maybe). At least you should map the first verse and chorus together ;w;

However, some songs are initially than 1 minute. If this become a rule, then we need to loop them. And I guess it's more ridiculous to loop a song than cut.

So I guess it could become a guideline with more abundant contents to show the ideas of the ("majority" of the) community that the ridiculous cuts are not wanted.
Crimmi

Regraz wrote:

Avoiding ridiculous cuts is really a great idea. It shows the respect of the composer and the responsibility as a mapper or a member of the community.
There're maps I saw in my playing osu! that, some mappers simply cut the chorus part of a song and map it. This is not good imo. It's showing you are too lazy (maybe). At least you should map the first verse and chorus together ;w;
With a recently ranked map at an disappointing length of :45 seconds, and the excuse of "being to tired to map the whole thing" I think this should be a rule to avoid the flood, next thing you know, there might be a cut version of Dopamine to 0:40 seconds for shits and giggles (I will commit hara-kiri if I see that) because "Hurr durr, BN'z don't check long maps because BN "x" doesn't check 4 min, 8 diff mapsets." But if you can't can't map a long 4 minute song, at least cut to a game wise length like what I did with SOUND HOLIC feat. Mayumi Morinaga - Yukihana -SEKKA- for example (which an incredible 5:18 cut to 1:55). Sorry if I get anything wrong, it's my first time speaking out seriously on the forums and I don't want to see the shit fly with drama with people using This as an excuse. Case in point: "If you're going to make a cut, make it a reasonable cut"
Mercurial

Crimmi wrote:

With a recently ranked map at an disappointing length of :45 seconds, and the excuse of "being to tired to map the whole thing" I think this should be a rule to avoid the flood, next thing you know, there might be a cut version of Dopamine to 0:40 seconds for shits and giggles (I will commit hara-kiri if I see that) because "Hurr durr, BN'z don't check long maps because BN "x" doesn't check 4 min, 8 diff mapsets." But if you can't can't map a long 4 minute song, at least cut to a game wise length like what I did with SOUND HOLIC feat. Mayumi Morinaga - Yukihana -SEKKA- for example (which an incredible 5:18 cut to 1:55). Sorry if I get anything wrong, it's my first time speaking out seriously on the forums and I don't want to see the shit fly with drama with people using This as an excuse. Case in point: "If you're going to make a cut, make it a reasonable cut"

You're totally right, people do cut songs because they're lazy as fuck and they just don't care about the song, they just want a ranked map going for them.

As I said before, such practices should be avoided and punished if needed.
Crimmi

Mercurial wrote:

You're totally right, people do cut songs because they're lazy as fuck and they just don't care about the song, they just want a ranked map going for them.

As I said before, such practices should be avoided and punished if needed.
But to me, this is between the lines of a guideline and a rule (But I might be wrong, just rethinking on what I said in my earlier post.), I mean if there is a song that is repeating itself like a BGM, I could see it be either looped or cut to what ever length the mapper desires as long it's credible and punishment is a bit too extreme for that.
XinCrin
I agree with this but if the full song is around 40 seconds?.
PyaKura

XinCrin wrote:

I thought it was agreed that songs such as Granat which are shorter than 1 minute are fine.
Crimmi

XinCrin wrote:

Then it's no problem, (to me ofc, as long it's just an intro or a BGM or w/e.) but cutting a song from ex. 6:10 to a pathetic 0:50 just to get a quick speedrank is a spit in the face to those who might have mapped the full version to the song and awaiting a few months for their map to be ranked.

PyaKura wrote:

I thought it was agreed that songs such as Granat which are shorter than 1 minute are fine.
Because songs like that are composed to be that short, look at Nekomata Master - Welcome to tricoro system for example, which is a very low 0:26 secs, but dumbing down a good song for example 3:10 seconds to a mere 0:35 seems a bit lazy, but meh.
Bonsai

XinCrin wrote:

I'd like to point out that the proposal has been changed many posts ago, and the exact wording of this new proposal has already been discussed on the last page too (without any response from staff's side yet?), so I'd advise to read through all of that before reposting opinions here that have already been posted many times.
As a side note, I wonder why this thread hasn't been locked yet, since there is no real discussion going on anymore
Crimmi

Bonsai wrote:

XinCrin wrote:

I'd like to point out that the proposal has been changed many posts ago, and the exact wording of this new proposal has already been discussed on the last page too (without any response from staff's side yet?), so I'd advise to read through all of that before reposting opinions here that have already been posted many times.
As a side note, I wonder why this thread hasn't been locked yet, since there is no real discussion going on anymore
Well I read through the other posts before doing so, I just wanted to get my two cents in and prevent map shields. (people who use recently ranked maps with the same problems to prove their points.) most people won't care about my opinions any ways.
ZekeyHache
I guess this could never get ranked cuz is not even 30 secs, I won't rest in peace when I die. :(
Mercurial
Too bad, so sad.
B1rd
I don't agree with the new proposal either. Short maps are a valid type of maps and I don't think there should be any discrimination or restrictions on the songs available. For example some songs might have a great intro that makes an amazing map but are pretty meh for the rest of the song. There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked, and the BNs and QATs should be able to control the amount of short maps being ranked and discern good quality short maps from the ones cut out of laziness.
PyaKura

B1rd wrote:

There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked
I'm really not sure about that. Well I know I'd hate it if a song was cut exclusively because a certain part of the song is cool and the rest is not.
phaZ

PyaKura wrote:

B1rd wrote:

There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked
I'm really not sure about that. Well I know I'd hate it if a song was cut exclusively because a certain part of the song is cool and the rest is not.

ZiRoX wrote:

Nwolf wrote:

Maybe add a rule that disallows cutting songs too much, like cutting a song should not result it being shorter than 90 seconds. I think that's a bigger problem than 30-60 sec maps in general
Agree with this. If the song is <1 min, let it be, that's the way it is. But if the song is longer, then cut versions should be 1 min or longer. I've seen cases where mappers cut the kiai time from a song and make an entire mapset out of it and it's sickening.
i personally dont have any problems with <1 min maps as long as it isnt an extreme cut. maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/192763 are just nice but it wouldnt be allowed to rank maps like this anymore.
like Nwolf, i also would rather see an additional rule to cutting e.g.cut a song down to max 40% of its lenght or at least 1min (i say 40% for the case of songs that have a kind of verse1-refrain-verse2-refrain-outro structure.. sometimes outro would just not fit if the song is already cut)
Seijiro

DakeDekaane wrote:

As much as I hate ridiculously short maps, if that's how the song is, then yes, they're free to go ahead. If it's a blatant lazy ass cut, please don't even try, you're consuming time that could be used on maps that truly deserve it.

PS: If you're going to map short songs, please map stuff worth of it.
I was about to write my opinion, but looking around a bit showed that my thoughts have already been exposed
show more