forum

[Rule] The minimum draining time for a map must be 1 minute

posted
Total Posts
show more
Skubi
People have purpose to map, if somebody wants to map a song he wants this song to be ranked, if a song CANT be ranked because rules, then why would he map it anyways... It would be wasting time
ghm12

Umaru-chan wrote:

Well if you try to rank a beatmap which is like 30 seconds it should have atleast 5-6 diffs(with a proper spread ofc) not things like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/178669 <-- 2 diffs.I personally think this is bs since there are a few gimmicky songs out there that are better in 30 seconds than full 3 minutes. So my suggestion would be: if the map is 45seconds or below you need a bigger spreading with atleast 6 diffs.
That wouldn't work. There are some kind of music you can't do too much (Like the one you linked).
How would you do 6 diffs for a super calm short song? Beginner, Easy, Easy+, Normal, Advanced and Hard?

CptSqBany wrote:

People have purpose to map, if somebody wants to map a song he wants this song to be ranked, if a song CANT be ranked because rules, then why would he map it anyways... It would be wasting time
Not sure if it fits, but mapping doesn't always mean "to rank"

Loctav wrote:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the full version of a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute. This is so each map gives a sufficiently long gameplay experience. It also prevents people to cut songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way.
Definitely agree with this one, since allows minimum of 30 seconds but doesn't allow cutting a long song to something below 1 minute
Bearizm
I do agree with this, however; I believe that since 30 seconds maps have a degree of entertainment value to it since most of them are quite gimmicky or uhh just funny in general. I believe if one would like to "rank" a 30 seconds map, they should be able to do so HOWEVER, send them to a completely different category of maps so those maps won't be categorized as "osu! Official/Ranked Beatmaps". But not in pending! It should have a slot of their own. Solves everybody's problems.
Okoratu
your suggestion seems like too much effort for maps that short
Cloudchaser

Loctav wrote:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the full version of a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute. This is so each map gives a sufficiently long gameplay experience. It also prevents people to cut songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way.
This is way too better from the actual rule, it makes justice for true short maps lol not like these beatmaps https://osu.ppy.sh/s/88299
Granger
I disgree, even with the new proposal of limiting to 1 minute if the song is 1 minute or longer.

If you want to stop people from excessively cutting songs out of lazyness simply forbid that or, better, limit how much of a song you're allowed to cut. Something like that:

The final drain time of a song must be at least 85% of the full version song.
Garven

Wafu wrote:

@Garven, I think that's not really thing to consider. Whether it is more work for others is firstly subjective (there might be instantly rankable beatmaps, but absolutely terrible ones and that's what determines whether the job of modders, BNs, QATs is going to be worth it). But why would we even consider that? Respectively, everyone is free to mod, bubble or qualify whatever he likes. For QATs it is more complicated, but that is limited by count and it is not that terrible to check 1 or 2 shorter maps than the others per whole page of qualified maps.
You do realize that not all beatmaps are "perfect" from the get-go, right? You'll also have maps that take huge amounts of effort from all sides to balance out the ones that slip through with ease. On a personal level, it feels like a waste of time looking through a 30 second beatmap set when there are sets out there that actually have a lot more thought and effort behind them. I would much rather promote a map set like that rather than some throwaway map that people will play once and toss aside. From the more practical end, I'm coming in from the time investment angle - time may be a nearly infinite source for you, but for others it is worth much more and I would prefer to spend time on a mapset that carries more impact than what effectively adds up to a quick jingle.
koliron
uggghh noooo i love -1min maps ;----;
Wafu

Lach wrote:

CptSqBany wrote:

People still want to conquer, who is better in Global, Country, Mods, Friends ranking. So if somebody would map Full PUPA opening, that is 30 seconds long, then it would be thrown to trash?
?????
CptSqany, you did not say why would new group of short maps be needed, that's what Lach wanted to hear.

@Garven uhm, but that still is really subjective, I mean, whether people will like the map or not. That is referring back to the poll at the beginning - Less people will play and repeat it because they prefer different length, but those who voted for short maps shouldn't be punched in the face by making their favorite maps urankable. That will be equal for QATs - some might appreciate short maps and because it is just a minority, it does not mean that if you, as a subject, do not prefer it, it should be instantly urankable.

Also "You do realize that not all beatmaps are "perfect" from the get-go, right?" I exactly said that in my post. I said that the quality of map is what determines whether the job of certain people is worth it or not. To be more accurate, if we qualify good short map, people might or might not get back to it, that depends on song, how challenging it is and the skill group it is for. - Obviously if you make ultra easy map, it will be appropriate mainly for newbies, so they play it once or twice and then don't play it at all, but that is because it would be too easy for them - It anyway did its purpose, provide newbies really easy map, that it is not played by majority does not mean it is useless. But if you make a map that is 4 minutes long, with random jumps, overmapped streams and variable (insensible) rhythms, thus making it unplayable, it doesn't have to be played often either. What I want to say it is that I exactly DO realize that not all beatmaps are perfect, but that's the bigger issue than short maps being qualified. Some people might skip short song because it is short, same can happen with very long maps, but after all, mapping a short song unless it is a cut is not lazy or doesn't mean mapper put less effort to it than other mappers for longer maps. If he cannot get longer song (or destroy it by looping), he does have no choice, so that instantly means he did not put enough effort to it? My opinion is that effort is not related to song length. This could be compared to using symmetry in maps, isn't it lazy to copy most patterns and just flip them on the other side, thus shortening the work by half or more if you copy whole parts (chorus etc.)? Even if it was 4 minute map, shouldn't you be bothered checking it the same way as in case of short maps? (Mapping 30 seconds and copying it to the whole map is not that hard job honestly)
Snaggletooth
Why is there a need to change this rule anyways? I really dont see the point behind this. Even the new wording dosnt change the limit of 30 second, it only adds a paragraph that opens more questions and conflicts. You can't even go with a set percentage of drain as Granger proposed, considering how every song is diffrent.

My suggestion is:

Forbid cuts that make the song shorter than a minute.
Don't even touch individual songstl that legitametlz only are about one minute.
Liiraye

neonat wrote:

Am fine with the limit of minimum 1 minute
But why?! Is there even a reason to enforce rules like these because of an unrelated poll?

See, this is the real problem osu is facing regarding rules. People want to influence the game by creating rules, which are completely unnecessary and fills no other function but boosting ones contributor status. I can't even comprehend how this idea came to mind...

I need to hear solid reasoning other than 'obviously we need to BAN this maplenght because this random poll shows us that they aren't the most popular lenght'. It's not something you'd expect from staff members...
hiandbye
Nooo! No, no, no! Some >1 minute maps are the most fun maps of osu!
Example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/111631

You would deny future maps like this their well-earned Ranked-status simply for being too short? That's unfair, that would mean the hard work put into maps like this will go unrecognized.
It would also deter people from making >1 minute maps, leading to less diversity. And if we restricted diversity, osu! would soon consist only of generic TVSize anime intros. We shouldn't restrict diversity.
Mercurial

Loctav wrote:

Now we're talking, this sounds so much better.

Snaggletooth wrote:

Why is there a need to change this rule anyways? I really dont see the point behind this. Even the new wording dosnt change the limit of 30 second, it only adds a paragraph that opens more questions and conflicts. You can't even go with a set percentage of drain as Granger proposed, considering how every song is diffrent.
Because there are mappers (like Loctav) who doesn't like <1 minute short maps, because most of them are vague and give next to no gameplay at all (There are a few exceptions to this, though).

I personally do enjoy more 1 minute long maps than 4/5 minute long ones.
Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth wrote:

Because there are mappers (like Loctav) who doesn't like <1 minute short maps, because most of them are vague and give next to no gameplay at all (There are a few exceptions to this, though).

I personally do enjoy more 1 minute long maps than 4/5 minute long ones.[/quote]

I dislike osu!mania, i want it removed. I dislike the pp-system, therefore we should go back to ranked total score. I dislike maps that are longer than 2 minutes, those should be unrankable. You see how bullshit this argument is? But that dosnt matter because I aint no BN/QAT/Mod/Loctav. (And no, this was ment more generally, its not a particular responds to you).

There is no legit reason to keep short songs out of osu. The people who dont like to play them, wont. And the claim that its a waste of BNs time is bull as well considering that thanks to the short playtime, the time for modding is signifficantly lower than modding a full 4 minute song-set with 5 diffs.
Cloudchaser
People shouldn't cut original songs unless it's an official cut like from videogames.
Mercurial

Cloudchaser wrote:

People shouldn't cut original songs unless it's an official cut like from videogames.
Sometimes is pointless to map songs that are pure loops, though.
Bara-

Mercurial wrote:

Cloudchaser wrote:

Sometimes is pointless to map songs that are pure loops, though.
I have to disagree with this
This requires the need to be creative, and do something different, as that'll make the map more fun to play
For example, my ranked map *CLICK*
The Original song is 7 seconds
There are 4-5 loops (5th being a fade out) but by usage of SV changes and overall changes all parts feel really different (perhaps not for easy though, but you get what I mean right?)
Stefan

baraatje123 wrote:

I have to disagree with this
This requires the need to be creative, and do something different, as that'll make the map more fun to play
For example, my ranked map *CLICK*
The Original song is 7 seconds
There are 4-5 loops (5th being a fade out) but by usage of SV changes and overall changes all parts feel really different (perhaps not for easy though, but you get what I mean right?)
I think Mercurial is reffering to cases where you have unnecessary many loops, taking your map which would be two minutes long for example. You wouldn't map a 7 second loop as many times to have two minutes in the end, do you? :P
Bara-
Nope
That's a bit excessive
Unless you loop it to approval size and make ir special
Not sure if that's possible though
Stefan

baraatje123 wrote:

Nope
That's a bit excessive
Unless you loop it to approval size and make ir special
Not sure if that's possible though
It is. But that is ridiculously stupid, even as Collab.
Monstrata

Loctav wrote:

But like Snaggletooth writes, there are songs that are over 1:00 but may not have 1:00 of drain time due to breaks and/or intro's. I don't think this should be a hard rule. A guideline? Definitely, but an absolute rule? No.

Rule: The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds.
Guideline: If the potential drain time for a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute.

I know that sounds weird when you read it the first time, but what I mean is, If there is potential for the song's drain time to be over 1 minute, then it must have a drain time of over 1 minute. Of course, this still leaves some subjectivity in the air. Some people may choose not to map a section of the song, calling it a break, while others may think the break is can be mapped. For situations like this, I think the proposed rule for cut versions of a song should be more of a guideline that at the BN's/QAT's discretion, can be a potential cause for disqualification.

Regarding time-investment angle Garven brought up, I haven't heard of anyone who takes as much time modding a 30 second mapset as a 3 minute mapset. Time spent modding depends a lot more on the map's quality and mappers' decisions than it does their drain time. Sure, maybe shorter maps carry less impact because there isn't as much drain time to actually express the song, but what's wrong with that? Also, just like how for some people, time is seemingly an infinite source, for others who do not have that luxury, mapping short songs is just more practical if they still want to contribute to the mapping community.
Yauxo

Granger wrote:

I disgree, even with the new proposal of limiting to 1 minute if the song is 1 minute or longer.

If you want to stop people from excessively cutting songs out of lazyness simply forbid that or, better, limit how much of a song you're allowed to cut. Something like that:

The final drain time of a song must be at least 85% of the full version song.
Wording it like this would disallow TV-Sizes and "short ver." songs completely.
Most Animu TV Size songs have a longer, 3+ minute version, so that would throw things off. TV Size length cant reach these 85% of the 3+ minutes at all.

Really though, just disallow very obvious cuts around 1 minute but allow natually short songs with at least 30 seconds. Noone will be hurt.
Cloudchaser
Agreed in some way with baraatje123's point but I'm giving reference to those people who cut the song from 4 mins to 1 min. Anyway, I'd approve if the song is extremely short and it's able to being looped like your example.

I don't know if you get my idea.
Mercurial

Yauxo wrote:

Anime songs (TVSize) are official so there's nothing against them.
UndeadCapulet

Mercurial wrote:

Yauxo wrote:

Anime songs (TVSize) are official so there's nothing against them.
The wording says "full version song" so technically it does disallow TV Sizes, since those aren't the "full version". Changing it to "official release" would solve the issue, more or less.
Mercurial

UndeadCapulet wrote:

The wording says "full version song" so technically it does disallow TV Sizes, since those aren't the "full version". Changing it to "official release" would solve the issue, more or less.
Unless you don't map 15/20 seconds of your selected song, then there's nothing against it.
pkhg

monstrata wrote:

Guideline: If the potential drain time for a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute.
this
Wafu

monstrata wrote:

But, why do we need to make 2 things, just make a rule that is providing an exception, potential also is not the right word imo, that would cause people asking whether they can have song less than minute or not. Potential could mean remix, lowered BPM or loop.

The minimum draining time for a map must be 30 seconds. If original version of the song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining time for the map must be 1 minute with an exception of official cuts.
Official cuts = i.e. TV Size. Short Ver. provided by artist
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

monstrata wrote:

But, why do we need to make 2 things, just make a rule that is providing an exception, potential also is not the right word imo, that would cause people asking whether they can have song less than minute or not. Potential could mean remix, lowered BPM or loop.

The minimum draining time for a map must be 30 seconds. If original version of the song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining time for the map must be 1 minute with an exception of official cuts.
Official cuts = i.e. TV Size. Short Ver. provided by artist
but then we'd still have the issue of actual full length songs that are just above one minute but cant achive 1 minute full drain time. Thats why I'm saying, this should only apply to cuts made by the mapper.
Wafu
It applies only to cuts made by mapper. "with an exception of official cuts"
Mercurial

Wafu wrote:

Finally someone gets it.
Maeglwn

Mercurial wrote:

Wafu wrote:

Finally someone gets it.
this, jesus :P was really surprised more people didn't understand this
quaternary
I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked. By that logic, we should also be unranking anything over 6 minutes because they are also less popular than 2minute/3minute songs. While we're at it, let's make only anime opening theme songs rankable, other genres are clearly less popular. Oh, and Hard, Insane, or Extra diffs are the most popular, so Easy and Normal should be unranked. As well as modes other than Standard.

You wouldn't ask "what is your favorite osu! mode", and then when the result is Standard, unrank Taiko, CTB, and Mania, right? That's just idiotic. I don't see how this poll is any different.
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

I am not talking about official cuts. And if you want to include short songs, that I brought up (example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/301072),
which are only barely over a minute, then you should clarify the wording to prevent confusion
and future conflicts.

How about:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the song was custom cut by the mapper, the minimum draining (play) time must exceed 1 minute. This is to prevent mappers from excessively and unreasonably cut songs and preventing a full experience, while
still allowing the option to shorten songs that have an overly repetitive beat/tune to prevent boredom while playing and mapping.
Mercurial

Snaggletooth wrote:

How about:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the song was custom cut by the mapper, the minimum draining (play) time must exceed 1 minute. This is to prevent mappers from excessively and unreasonably cut songs and preventing a full experience, while
still allowing the option to shorten songs that have an overly repetitive beat/tune to prevent boredom while playing and mapping.
Yes and no.

Yes for what you said.

No for "Yeah, I've got this sweet song I do want to map but I don't to spend much time on it. Uhm, great idea! What about cutting off this 2:15 song to 1 minute or so? It's perfect!"

I'm okay with the "85% of the song mapped" option.

tuddster wrote:

I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked.
"Hur dur, I hate short maps because they bring nothing to the game because Muh opinions > your opinions".

That kind of people.
Wafu

Snaggletooth wrote:

This is almost the same thing I said, just longer and more complicated because it allows another exception.

If the cut was officially used somewhere, you are allowed to use it under 1 minute - That means any cut which were done by mapper or other person (this only talks about mapper, which is pretty questionable and there would soon be people making soundcloud, cutting it and uploading it as some another artist with "no, I did not cut it, it is some other person's cut".

Was covering this as well. Official cut = exactly the same song you are mapping, but shortened by artist or someone else to use it in official source. This still allows you to cut maps on yourself if it will be longer than 1 minute. If there is a problem for someone to understand that it is equal to your wording, just simpler, the problem is on the other side, this is as obvious as it just could be.

Nevertheless mapping TV Size versions and so on is a bit lazy, but might have reasons - Including video, thus presenting the anime a little, but cutting them manually is just lazy and I did never see a reason to cut it unless there were really unmappable parts.
TheLukay
I don't think this rule makes any sense.
There weren't big complaints over the last years, so why now.
There was a lot said already so I don't have really anything to add, but I just think this doesn't feel right.
I enjoy every lenght of maps. Although I like long maps over 5 minutes the most, the short ones are still fun.
And that's what this game is about, right?
Liiraye

Mercurial wrote:

Snaggletooth wrote:

How about:

Yes and no.

Yes for what you said.

No for "Yeah, I've got this sweet song I do want to map but I don't to spend much time on it. Uhm, great idea! What about cutting off this 2:15 song to 1 minute or so? It's perfect!"

I'm okay with the "85% of the song mapped" option.

tuddster wrote:

I don't get how someone can look at that poll and conclude that 60s or less maps are everyone's least favorite and they should be unranked.
"Hur dur, I hate short maps because they bring nothing to the game because Muh opinions > your opinions".

That kind of people.
I'm not sure where you found that 85% mapped proposal but I have mapped and seen several maps with long intros that are quite unmappable or really doesn't need that much of it mapped. Further restrictions like that are bound to decrease quality of some songs. I might have misunderstood you but yeh
Snaggletooth

Wafu wrote:

This is almost the same thing I said, just longer and more complicated because it allows another exception.

If the cut was officially used somewhere, you are allowed to use it under 1 minute - That means any cut which were done by mapper or other person (this only talks about mapper, which is pretty questionable and there would soon be people making soundcloud, cutting it and uploading it as some another artist with "no, I did not cut it, it is some other person's cut".

Was covering this as well. Official cut = exactly the same song you are mapping, but shortened by artist or someone else to use it in official source. This still allows you to cut maps on yourself if it will be longer than 1 minute. If there is a problem for someone to understand that it is equal to your wording, just simpler, the problem is on the other side, this is as obvious as it just could be.

Nevertheless mapping TV Size versions and so on is a bit lazy, but might have reasons - Including video, thus presenting the anime a little, but cutting them manually is just lazy and I did never see a reason to cut it unless there were really unmappable parts.
Then I really think the word 'cut' is what strikes me odd here. I don't disagree with you, I think I misunderstood or
perhaps we misunderstood eachother.
When you say 'officially cut' songs, I think about TV sizes. I think about intros, I wanted to adress
short songs that have an intro, a vers, chourse and an outro in just above one minute. I thought that these
exceptionally short and full songs would be banned with this rule.
Wafu

Snaggletooth wrote:

Wafu wrote:

Then I really think the word 'cut' is what strikes me odd here. I don't disagree with you, I think I misunderstood or
perhaps we misunderstood eachother.
When you say 'officially cut' songs, I think about TV sizes. I think about intros, I wanted to adress
short songs that have an intro, a vers, chourse and an outro in just above one minute. I thought that these
exceptionally short and full songs would be banned with this rule.
Oh yeah, the 'with exceptions' means that all other cuts can be done, but must be 1 minute and above :)
show more