forum

Kinda loosing my skills, what to do?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kernaus
Ok, so, i came here to find some advices from strong mania players who eventually had this issue already.

I started playing mania about 3-4 months ago and got to a pretty decent level, but since the last week, i feel like i'm doing worse and worse.

My timing is becoming really sloppy, i'm choking a lot on patterns i normally do without any trouble and i even have some issues reading.
I've been training pretty intensively since i started (way too intensively in fact since i hurt my wrist last month), i was happy to see how much i progressed but right now, the fact that i can't keep that level anymore is getting the best of me, i get frustrated and loose all of my motivation to continue.

So, the question is : what should i do? Should i take a break? or should i force myself to play and try to get my level back?

Thanks for reading, i'll take any advice you guys can give me.
Bobbias
Slumps happen. Sometimes taking a break can help, but beware, sometimes it can take a while to regain your skill after taking a break. Of course, you can always just keep playing, because slumps don't last forever.
Topic Starter
Kernaus
Thanks for the reply, i think i'll do as you said and take a break from mania, i'll probably use that time to train STD o/
Cuppp
Break meaning 1 week or less.

my advice is to just keep playing and play a lot
Shoegazer
Mental health/mindset might be your problem. You might've been burnt out after playing intensively for a considerable period and your increasing frustration with the game would make the game harder for you to play and enjoy.

You're currently at a level where your muscles won't suffer any significant atrophy, so you wouldn't skill drop so much if you take a break - any "skill drop" would be attributed to your slightly foggy muscle memory. Would highly suggest taking a break (1-2 weeks) to give some time to clear your mind regarding o!m. Alternatively, you can just play a little bit and not just about getting good scores - which is probably better in the long run anyway.
Topic Starter
Kernaus

Shoegazer wrote:

Mental health/mindset might be your problem. You might've been burnt out after playing intensively for a considerable period and your increasing frustration with the game would make the game harder for you to play and enjoy.

You're currently at a level where your muscles won't suffer any significant atrophy, so you wouldn't skill drop so much if you take a break - any "skill drop" would be attributed to your slightly foggy muscle memory. Would highly suggest taking a break (1-2 weeks) to give some time to clear your mind regarding o!m. Alternatively, you can just play a little bit and not just about getting good scores - which is probably better in the long run anyway.

Actually, my muscles already have been pretty badly injured, i suffered from carpal syndrome for years now and it really started hurting again a few weeks ago.

As for the mindset, well, i took some advices from a streamer i enjoy during the night "TyroneSama" and he suggested me to just not tryhard on the game and play the songs i enjoy... the problem being that the songs i enjoy are simillar to this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNhN6lT-y5U
-Maus-
I wouldn't call it decent :v
Gesk
You can't lose skills at your level, you are improving, but can't notice it. Pretty sure it's because you play same songs every day and force yourself to beat your best scores. You won't easily beat your BEST plays (EVEN BY A THOUSAND OR TWO) until your AVERAGE plays TODAY reach level of BEST plays in the PAST.
I've had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. Then I completely stopped trying to beat my top scores (just not to ruin the mood) and started playing songs I've never played before + easy 2,5-3* songs with DT. In a week or so I managed to beat most of my top scores without any trouble. Also don't be afraid to change something you've got used to like scroll speed or keys layout or even skin. You'll get worse for a day or two, but surely will improve after that.
Topic Starter
Kernaus

TheGesk wrote:

You can't lose skills at your level, you are improving, but can't notice it. Pretty sure it's because you play same songs every day and force yourself to beat your best scores. You won't easily beat your BEST plays (EVEN BY A THOUSAND OR TWO) until your AVERAGE plays TODAY reach level of BEST plays in the PAST.
I've had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. Then I completely stopped trying to beat my top scores (just not to ruin the mood) and started playing songs I've never played before + easy 2,5-3* songs with DT. In a week or so I managed to beat most of my top scores without any trouble. Also don't be afraid to change something you've got used to like scroll speed or keys layout or even skin. You'll get worse for a day or two, but surely will improve after that.

I'm actually playing a lot of different maps, i mostly stick around in multiplayer rooms and see what people can give me.

As for the scroll speed, i'm still trying to find something comfortable, so i'm always changing it from 23 to 28 depending on the map, and i already found a skin i feel really comfortable playing with.

I don't think i ever asked you to tell me if you think i'm decent or not, stick to the main topic instead of shitposting nasty comments next time, troll.
Gesk
No no no, multiplayer rooms are pretty much useless when you want to improve. Try this instead. Tons of good 4k stepmania converts for different skill levels.
Topic Starter
Kernaus

TheGesk wrote:

No no no, multiplayer rooms are pretty much useless when you want to improve. Try this instead. Tons of good 4k stepmania converts for different skill levels.

Thanks for the link, altough i already have most of the yolomania packs, i'll see what's in the others
-Maus-

Crysterion wrote:

I don't think i ever asked you to tell me if you think i'm decent or not, stick to the main topic instead of shitposting nasty comments next time, troll.
Triggered
Valedict

Transformau5 wrote:

Crysterion wrote:

Triggered

lemonguy

-Tim- wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

Triggered

BOOOOOOOOOOM
akuma123

-Tim- wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

Triggered

turndownforwhat.mp3
Topic Starter
Kernaus

enough shitposting for now, let's get back to the main subject people pls
-Maus-
Yoooo

Not bad, but I'm not bragging about that score either
Topic Starter
Kernaus
Well, problem solved, i broke my fingers at work, wont be able to play for a while.

gg
Bad Apple
oh, that's quite sad to hear. i have those slumps too, i think everyone has. for me personally, playing alot of unranked songs and songs i truly enjoy helps a bit. the more I enjoy the song, the more I realize, how much I actually like the game, that helps getting out of those slumps.

Don't give up on Mania after you've recovered though, you've come far and you'll get even further, just don't give up.
Get well soon!
Bobbias

Crysterion wrote:

Well, problem solved, i broke my fingers at work, wont be able to play for a while.

gg
rip hands

Don't give up when you get back if it feels like you've lost everything. It's surprising how quickly your skill can come back after a break with a bit of practice.
Topic Starter
Kernaus

Bobbias wrote:

Crysterion wrote:

gg
rip hands

Don't give up when you get back if it feels like you've lost everything. It's surprising how quickly your skill can come back after a break with a bit of practice.

- Bad Apple - wrote:

oh, that's quite sad to hear. i have those slumps too, i think everyone has. for me personally, playing alot of unranked songs and songs i truly enjoy helps a bit. the more I enjoy the song, the more I realize, how much I actually like the game, that helps getting out of those slumps.

Don't give up on Mania after you've recovered though, you've come far and you'll get even further, just don't give up.
Get well soon!

Thanks for the support, hopefully it shouldn't take too long before my fingers are healed, it's just a minor injury.
Topic Starter
Kernaus

Stop for a week, come back and achieve the map you wanted to do since your very first day.

#norandomspamduringthejumpjacksipromise
Bobbias
Congrats!
show more