forum

Windows 10

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Atri-
What do you think about the new Microsoft OS?

I never used it because I dont wanna screw up my computer that I bought on October 2014
deadbeat
kmp1993
Just updated to windows 10 and every game I own lags so not a great start (I get 14 fps on osu now)
domSaur
been hearing good things about it but.. is it rly much fine.. i feel like waiting for longer till im pretty sure that there will be no problems with compatibility shiz like that
FuZ
I can't even download this shit

IppE
Don't care.
BrokenArrow

kmp1993 wrote:

Just updated to windows 10 and every game I own lags so not a great start (I get 14 fps on osu now)
Reinstall your graphics card drivers.

Running Windows 10 for the first time outside a virtual machine. It's so silky smooth, I love it.
B1rd
I don't even want to be running windows.
Trash Boat

deadbeat wrote:

This
Rizumu Tenshi

deadbeat wrote:

You, sir, have won the topic.

Insiders are already armed with the official release of Windows 10 without reservation from their Insider Preview. Updating to build 10240 triggers RTM Windows 10 but preview builds will continue and are available as an option for the Insiders who wish to enter the extra chapters of the Insider story. (I chose not to continue as an Insider, I decided to stay RTM)

Alright, with my days of "Insider-ism" I can say firetruck Windows 7. Windows 8.1 is unneeded now.

Where are my lovely partner Insiders who shared me their "Insider-ism" and previewed this OS? Where are the Insiders who got to the finish line and raced to the RTM release? Let me hear, Insiders!

On a note: osu! runs fine here.
piruchan
https://twitter.com/ppy/status/626942796276994048

I guess I'll upgrade in a week or so.
DestinySonata
I want to upgrade, but I'm skeptical about other games running so I don't know...
B1rd
Maybe you should read this before deciding to upgrade. (probably nsfw) http://8ch.net/n/res/102018.html
BrokenArrow
Honestly it's the same thing Google or any other popular company does, the difference is Microsoft is more open about it and at least gives the user the choice to disable parts of it

People need to stop thinking everything that involves their personal information which they voluntarily decided to share will be used in some kind of shady way
Mercurial
Your signature says otherwise.

Perhaps, I'm still happy with W7 so I'm not installing any other OS sometime soon.
B1rd

BrokenArrow wrote:

Honestly it's the same thing Google or any other popular company does, the difference is Microsoft is more open about it and at least gives the user the choice to disable parts of it

People need to stop thinking everything that involves their personal information which they voluntarily decided to share will be used in some kind of shady way
Who said anything about "voluntary information"? This would allow Microsoft to spy and everything you do on your computer and send it to Microsoft, and you can't stop it. Just because spying is a standard industry practice doesn't mean you should just accept it.
Moyase
-first hand user of windows10-

I'd honestly say its good except for all of the privacy issues,
Cortana collects information from you, Microsoft collects information from you, your searches are practically "keylogged" to provide better results, most of the settings to disable such features are hidden, in the end, lots of information you don't know about is being sent to Microsoft.
However, that's just the cons I've experienced,

There are amazing new features in windows 10 such as:

1.The OS Level recording system (GameDVR), I like this because even on a dated old laptop that could barely record 720p 30fps on any game, it can now record 720p up to 60fps perfectly with no issues what so ever.

2.The new sleek designs, I'm a person who is picky about how things look, and windows10's new ui is very nice and dosent get in the way of anything i do, it looks amazing with dark themes

3.The new start menu (the best).... If you've used windows xp, vista and 7, you'll remember and love the old start menu, however in windows 8/8.1 that was removed and replaced with a full-screen start menu, most optimized for touch, not mouse. However in windows10 they added back the old start-menu style and combined it with the app functionality, It looks awesome and is resizable to your needs.

Overall, i think windows 10 is amazing, but just the privacy concerns me.

If you have any questions relating to it, you can ask me in-game/message me, any form of communication works :P

EDIT -----
It shouldn't screw up your computer considering my laptop is.... very dated and survived the update with remarkable results (100fps increase in osu!)
primrose
i heard it's horrible. botnet and shit. it collects what you type etc
still staying in 8.1 until it's better or smth
DeletedUser_3905941
can't wait to opt out
Friendan
It's better than Windows 8 for sure. I don't care about being apart of a "botnet" (nice over exaggeration). The only thing, though, is that I can't run borderless windowed mode correctly. Full screen works, but games like Touhou have a very large border when put into borderless window mode.
xGoyangi
It works great on my laptop, i was an insider and worked great too, even in the tester version in every game i've played. Just don't get into insiders stuff you will get tons of lag so i desactivated it, no more lag. Sorry for my english >.<
Granger
What genius moved this topic to offtopic? It belongs perfectly fine to GD where it orginally was?

And i suppose since i am posting on this thread i might add my own mustard on the topic too: I wont install win10. Im fine with the OS i have right now and im rather suspictious of the spying going on... i think the thing borthering me the most would end up being the defender that turns itself on even if you disable it. Talk about babying your users...
whymeman
I was thinking of installing it cause it seemed like a "good" upgrade.

But I had to remind myself on one thing: "If something normally pricey 'free', its for a certain reason." I don't want to go through another Vista episode like my brother did and moving from 7 Ultimate to 10 didn't seem like much of a merit for me atm besides the apps thing. Eventually, I didn't bother with it and getting sucked into the hype isn't a good thing either.
Zelda
For those of you who don't like the whole spying thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ng_in_w10/
Though really, you should probably switch to Linux and stop using Facebook, Android phones, GeForce Experience, and whatever else.

I got my upgrade, went relatively painless, though not without issues. At first, the Nvidia driver broke to the point of having to uninstall it with DDU and do a clean reinstall in order to get it working.
Then OBS acted all weird, and streamed at like 10 fps instead of the 48 I set it to, had viewers reporting it looked like I was dropping mad frames, even though CPU load was the same as it had always been while streaming video games - about 80% - and that wasn't bottlenecking it at all. Reinstalling OBS appears to have fixed this.

Now I'm left with some strange issues, one being that occasionally the system will freeze up for about half a second, and then carry on as if nothing happened. And sometimes in Final Fantasy XIV, the game will seem like it's running at 20 fps despite both Fraps and the ingame fps counter reporting 60+ fps. Until I load back into an area, and then everything is back to normal again.
I figure these issues may have something to do with drivers not working quite perfectly in Win10 yet, considering that I did not have these issues in either 7 or 8.1 prior to the upgrade. Currently considering going back to 8.1 because of these issues. Windows 10 is great, but I think I'd rather have a system that just runs perfectly all the time.
Granger
I heard reinstalling all your drivers is supposed to help with these issues.
primrose

Zelda wrote:

For those of you who don't like the whole spying thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ng_in_w10/
god bless you. i'm updating to win10 when I get my new laptop soon.
B1rd
"An update to Microsoft's End User License Agreement allows Windows 10 to remotely disable counterfeit software or hardware on your computer."

For the love of God, don't 'upgrade' to Windows 10.
deadbeat
source?
B1rd
Zelda

B1rd wrote:

"An update to Microsoft's End User License Agreement allows Windows 10 to remotely disable counterfeit software or hardware on your computer."

For the love of God, don't 'upgrade' to Windows 10.
This is because of the new unified EULA that counts for all Microsoft products, that specific part is more related to the Xbox One/360 than it is to Windows and you should take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah, the EULA allows Windows 10 to disable counterfeit software, but thing is that Microsoft hasn't implemented such functionality, and they aren't likely to do so.
MrDraconite

KuranteMelodii wrote:

What do you think about the new Microsoft OS?

I never used it because I dont wanna screw up my computer that I bought on October 2014
The only problem I've had so far is the new in-game recorder not recording games that are in fullscreen (Like CSGO) and 1 time deleting my toolbar/start menu/cortana from the Task Manager, fixed it with a restart of my pc though so no biggy
ZenithPhantasm
They dont let you turn off DWM.
#nothx.jpeg