forum

[Archived] Kiai effect

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hyouri
Problem Details:
Seriously, this thing gives huge FPS drops when the beat drops in songs, I'm serious it's annoying as hell and makes me miss 80% of the time because I have to estimate the position the cursor will land as soon as the kiai starts... And for some reason it only happens at the beginning of Kiai, it doesn't continue for more than 3-5 circles. I have stable 240 fps locked the whole map, no dropping, then comes Kiai.... boom 24 fps xbox mode

I have tried the following:
OpenGL mode: This just lowers my fps nonetheless, (no idea why it's recommended for people which have poor performance on osu) so Kiai is even worse when using this
Shaders are not on, background video disabled, background dim 100%, ignore beat map skin & hit sounds, etc.. .(Literally everything on lowest, except the resolution, which doesn't affect the lag at all even with 800x600). So my osu! is almost as optimal as it gets
We already have an option to disable Combo Burst so why can't we disable Kiai?
And I know Kiai is a part of the beatmap, but what I'm asking for is to disable the annoying lightning effect that it displays when it begins, although this is ONLY visible when background dim is not set at 100%, it still gets triggered and displays at 0% opacity so it doesn't get disabled it just goes invisible (edit: it's actually noticeable on the sliders and hit-circles cause they start lighting)

random question: Why do we have two options of "snaking sliders"? Is it really that recommended?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

https://youtu.be/pS_D7DCoUvU?t=45

In this video, at around 0:49 you can clearly see the effect I'm talking about. And it's enabled at any background dim and cause fps drop. Please help ;c

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
VeilStar

hyouri wrote:

<stuff>
Well, I don't have a solution for you at hand but could you switch to the cuttingedge release stream and press CTRL+F11 to enable the frametime overlay and show us a screenshot of that overlay when the kiai effect kicks in and you get that framedrop?

Also, out of curiosity, do you get similar framedrops when enabling hitlighting?

hyouri wrote:

random question: Why do we have two options of "snaking sliders"?
What? There's only 1 option for that? o.O
Trosk-
Well, that effect can't be dissabled. If you don't want to see it, use 100% background dim. If you are saying that it gets reset, you should set Background Dim 100% on the options.

Also, please, do not use OpenGL on Stable, you will have really bad results with it.

Try to change the osu! release stream to Beta or Cutting Edge and see if you get better results. You are most likely gonna get better performance on them.

And, what do you mean with "two options of Snaking Sliders"? You just can enable or disable them. If your PC can handle it without dropping FPS, it's recommended to use it. If you have it disabled, then the sliders will appear on the screen like single notes do, instead of appear from the beggining to the end progressively.
Topic Starter
hyouri

VeilStar wrote:

hyouri wrote:

<stuff>
Well, I don't have a solution for you at hand but could you switch to the cuttingedge release stream and press CTRL+F11 to enable the frametime overlay and show us a screenshot of that overlay when the kiai effect kicks in and you get that framedrop?

Also, out of curiosity, do you get similar framedrops when enabling hitlighting?

hyouri wrote:

What? There's only 1 option for that? o.O
I'm not sure I want to switch to cutting edge just for the test it ruins all of my settings when I switch back to stable, or doesn't it? Just confirm this for me if I'm gonna do it

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3455867 <--- two options of snaking sliders

Trosk- wrote:

Well, that effect can't be dissabled. If you don't want to see it, use 100% background dim. If you are saying that it gets reset, you should set Background Dim 100% on the options.

Also, please, do not use OpenGL on Stable, you will have really bad results with it.

Try to change the osu! release stream to Beta or Cutting Edge and see if you get better results. You are most likely gonna get better performance on them.

And, what do you mean with "two options of Snaking Sliders"? You just can enable or disable them. If your PC can handle it without dropping FPS, it's recommended to use it. If you have it disabled, then the sliders will appear on the screen like single notes do, instead of appear from the beggining to the end progressively.
omfg did you even read a single word I wrote except the title?
Nekonyan

hyouri wrote:

We already have an option to disable Combo Burst so why can't we disable Kiai?
p/157761
p/157824

hyouri wrote:

one for gameplay, and one for editor.

and also, have you updated your graphic driver already? if not, try to update it first
if you use nvidia as your GPU, try to switch it to "Performance" mode
Topic Starter
hyouri

Nekonyan wrote:

VeilStar wrote:

one for gameplay, and one for editor.
Thanks, that's not so obvious when it says "Detail Settings" and "General" but no editor...
VeilStar

hyouri wrote:

I'm not sure I want to switch to cutting edge just for the test it ruins all of my settings when I switch back to stable, or doesn't it? Just confirm this for me if I'm gonna do it
The only options that might be affected will be the fullscreen setting and the extended chat filter (where you can narrow down visible userpanels to all/country/friends). Other than it won't reset your settings.
Nekonyan
[quote="Shirayuki":1337]

LioVir wrote:

same thing is happening to me since last 2 patches. extreme lag. when in kiai mode. ar10 are unplayable.
my pc can run demanding games. at medium. high settings. idk what else to do i unistalled osu twice and the problem continues.
Did you try to change your graphic settings? You can do so in-game, or by editing osu!.<your computer's name>.cfg or by holding Shift when you open osu!.

Did you try to use a different skin? Like a more simple / cleaner skin?

Also, did you try to turn off visual candies such as hit lightning / combo burst?and, did you try to play on fullscreen mode? if you did and it didn't fix, try to play on lower resolution too.
Topic Starter
hyouri

Nekonyan wrote:

and, did you try to play on fullscreen mode? if you did and it didn't fix, try to play on lower resolution too.
If you actually read the topic, you would have realized I stated that I tried on all resolutions, which also means windows vs borderless vs full-screen.

VeilStar wrote:

The only options that might be affected will be the fullscreen setting and the extended chat filter (where you can narrow down visible userpanels to all/country/friends). Other than it won't reset your settings.
Gonna try it then

Nekonyan wrote:

p/157761
p/157824
That was 6 years ago, it's not the same issue. Also why were they NOT against Osu!'s high clutter back then? Wow we had an even worse community back then.

I'm using a GTX 770, Intel core i7 and 8GB of RAM right now, I can play almost any 3D game on med/high on smooth 60 fps. I doubt osu! requires more... The kiai is bugged.
Trosk-

hyouri wrote:

I'm using a GTX 770, Intel core i7 and 8GB of RAM right now, I can play almost any 3D game on med/high on smooth 60 fps. I doubt osu! requires more... The kiai is bugged.
Maybe Kiai is "bugged" for you. I don't have any problems and I belive that everyone who posted here doesn't have any problem with this neither. It's not a problem with osu! itself.

You could be a bit more respectful with people who are using their time trying to help you.
XinCrin
I have a bad PC and I've never had any troubles with kiai . And it looks like you have a really good computer, So I don't know why it happens
Topic Starter
hyouri

Trosk- wrote:

Maybe Kiai is "bugged" for you. I don't have any problems and I belive that everyone who posted here doesn't have any problem with this neither. It's not a problem with osu! itself.

You could be a bit more respectful with people who are using their time trying to help you.
"Trying to help"

How is reading the title, not reading the topic, then continue to write the exact same things as I stated in "I have tried the following" as if that part is non-existent?

You're not trying to help, you just write down the obvious and not even bother to read the problem details. You're just trying to achieve some status in the most useless way possible. You're the disrespectful one here for not even trying.

XinCrin wrote:

I have a bad PC and I've never had any troubles with kiai . And it looks like you have a really good computer, So I don't know why it happens
Yeah that's the problem, I don't get it.

But at the same time, this effect is literally 100% useless unless you have background dim < 100%. So the option to turn it off should be available
Nekonyan

hyouri wrote:

That was 6 years ago, it's not the same issue. Also why were they NOT against Osu!'s high clutter back then? Wow we had an even worse community back then.
idk, I just find 3 problem similar like your issue in past 6 years. So your issue is really really rare to be honest.
also, I find similar person that has high-end PC too and has similar issue like you:

[quote="hozuki":1337]I run osu! on an Athlon 64 x2 2.8GHz, Win7 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT210 (which is a bit better than yours in every aspect), and I lag on Kiai time too. It's more likely to be a hardware issue than the monitor reaction time (actually, it's literally impossible that the monitor causes this; the video delay would be constant and independent from your graphics card/processor's load)probably this seems unrelated with your issue.. but could you check all of your driver using this program?
if there's driver that need to update, try to update it.
TheVileOne
Why are you so persistent in using Stable? We can assure you that you will get more frames in the cutting edge builds than in stable. Also we don't know what kind of spike that is unless you show us a frame time display screenshot which requires you to use a cutting edge build to activate. It's most likely a draw spike, but still you should only be reporting performance issues after testing cutting edge first.

If you were using the 60 fps vsync option. That frame rate option is very sensitive to performance spikes.

That graphics card should be getting much more fps for it to not have such a huge dip in performance. Something else has to be bottlenecking the frames.