forum

Why do people say mouse is inferior to tablet.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Endaris

KuranteMelodii wrote:

I snap a lot on tablet, besides, mouse drains more stamina on your aiming hand since you move your entire arm instead of your wrist
No.
Like from 800 upwards you're playing wrist only.
Anything below involves your arm but mouseplayers like Doomsday work with their wrists.
silmarilen
absolute position is the one thing that makes tablet objectively better than mouse.

they are also lighter and easier to handle.
-Atri-

Endaris wrote:

KuranteMelodii wrote:

I snap a lot on tablet, besides, mouse drains more stamina on your aiming hand since you move your entire arm instead of your wrist
No.
Like from 800 upwards you're playing wrist only.
Anything below involves your arm but mouseplayers like Doomsday work with their wrists.
It still hurts because its bulky
pandaBee

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

theyre bad, mouse is better than tablet for streams, tablet better for jumps

proof: dooms king of time freeze, cptn being the only one who fc'd freedom dive who doesn't out-skill every other top player to the point of being peerless.
I disagree, Drawing lines with a pen is easier than tracing them out with a mouse.
silmarilen

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

proof: dooms king of time freeze, cptn being the only one who fc'd freedom dive who doesn't out-skill every other top player to the point of being peerless.
this is bullshit, streaming has nothing to do with your aim hand. doomsday, cptnxn and angelsim are so good at streams because they have high speed and stamina in their left hand, not because they use a mouse with their right.
B1rd
All of the top players use tablet for a reason. And it's not just that tablets are cheaper. Saying it's just a 'placebo' is ridiculous.
pandaBee
Yes. And I'm sure that most top players have thought about this mouse vs. tablet thing a lot longer and harder than any of us ever will.

I think people are mixing up two different sets of people here.

On one hand you have competent high ranked players that have been playing for a very long time and presumably give the game a good deal of thought as well.

On the other hand you have these 100k+ rankers that think buying all the best equipment is what will give them the edge when they haven't put in any work to show for it.

Two very different groups, there really isn't much overlap here. Stop taking assumptions from one side and pitting them against everyone else as if your biased sample is representative of the competent osu population at large.
Deva
Comparing them is just plain dumb because both have cons and pros.
pandaBee
The only advantage I see mouse having over tablet is convenience (everyone has one, don't need to buy another, it's always there on the desk) and being able to click with it. Only the first is really relevant to osu.
Bauxe
I think a lot of top players are tablets players because they bought one early on because they thought it was what they needed to be good. 3+ years later, they have 3 years of tablet experience compared to no mouse experience, so naturally it's their peripheral of choice.
chainpullz
It's hard to say absolute positioning is objectively better than relative. Either way you are still building muscle memory. Any negatives with mouse sensors are relative to the quality of your sensor. For what it's worth, most quality mice have substantially better polling rates than tablets, which are capped out around 128 hertz.
Yuudachi-kun

silmarilen wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

this is bullshit, streaming has nothing to do with your aim hand. doomsday, cptnxn and angelsim are so good at streams because they have high speed and stamina in their left hand, not because they use a mouse with their right.
Streams also have an aim component.
Tarzan

KuranteMelodii wrote:

But still, "tablet or mouse is better" is bullshit, it comes to preference
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I play with mouse, and I only use my wrist, not my entire arm ;-;
Dpi around 2k
KanoSet
maybe cuz moving a pen isn't as hard as moving the mouse.. mouse require more stamina
and i don't rly see absolute position vs relative tracking isn't a big deal if you are used to it alrdy
even mouse drift isn't that thing that will ruin your world imo
Nyxa
They say that because they want to blame their lack on skill on their equipment rather than on their lack of skill.
Incera
Yolshka

B1rd wrote:

All of the top players use tablet for a reason. And it's not just that tablets are cheaper. Saying it's just a 'placebo' is ridiculous.
how is a tablet cheaper? you dont need a super exquisite mouse with 17 buttons that plays games instead of you, a cheap one is fine , and those have lower dpi which is an advantage

even if thats true youre not gonna run and buy a tablet are you? no you keep your mouse.

if you have had a tablet in the first place or you wanted to by one anyway then sure enjoy otherwise its an investment with relatively minor gains.

but i could be wrong, and players here are aiming for those ranks and pp and if you say that the tablet is somuchfkinbetter its unbelievable, then thats fine
I Give Up
Most market mouse have poor build quality, a crappy chip, or come with useless gimmick that is bad for osu. I had good first hand experience with that, and when I stopped blaming my lack of skill and analysed my equipment I discovered a whole world of fuckery that was wrong with it.

Mouse players really need to do homework on mouse mechanics so they know exactly what mouse is best for them. If you have a hunch there is somethin wrong with your mouse, then probably there really is something wrong with it and you should get it replaced before wasting almost a year with faulty mice like I have.

Tablet > mouse coz reasons. Tablet > mouse coz cptnxn said so. That said, if you play for 5 years you'll be good anyway.
B1rd

ShadyAngel wrote:

B1rd wrote:

how is a tablet cheaper? you dont need a super exquisite mouse with 17 buttons that plays games instead of you, a cheap one is fine , and those have lower dpi which is an advantage

even if thats true youre not gonna run and buy a tablet are you? no you keep your mouse.

if you have had a tablet in the first place or you wanted to by one anyway then sure enjoy otherwise its an investment with relatively minor gains.

but i could be wrong, and players here are aiming for those ranks and pp and if you say that the tablet is somuchfkinbetter its unbelievable, then thats fine
You can get a Tablet for $30 which is cheaper than most gaming mice.

I don't just think that, I've experienced it. I rocketed through the ranking as soon as I got a tablet. And I'd recommend anyone who wants to be a high rank to get a tablet also.

Why is it always the noobs that are arguing how mouse and tablet are the same? Every high ranking mouse players that I've seen has said that tablet is in fact better.
ZenithPhantasm

chainpullz wrote:

It's hard to say absolute positioning is objectively better than relative. Either way you are still building muscle memory. Any negatives with mouse sensors are relative to the quality of your sensor. For what it's worth, most quality mice have substantially better polling rates than tablets, which are capped out around 128 hertz.
Older Wacoms are 133hz. Huions and new Wacoms are all 200hz.
Also theres no ideal mouse yet. Im also too lazy to explain why because no one but Nix cares and it would be a waste of my time.
Ichi
You don´t need a tablet to play good. The key word here is TIME, you have to invest time in order to be good, and most people want inmediate results which in a game like this WILL NEVER HAPPEN. The only thing tablet does is give you a faster start, so what? your limits are gonna be pushed and you will always want more: more speed, more stamina, more aim and then keep asking for more so in the end it´s the same story. It´s never gonna be enough if you dont spend the time you need to keep improving. I believe both tablet and mouse have the same potential. They do have diferent learning curves and times. That and preference is the only difference to me.
Rhyth8
I say mouse and tablet are both balanced, just I PREFER Mouse

KuranteMelodii wrote:

But for me it's not my right arm using mouse getting tired, it's my left arm hitting beats with q and w getting tired.
Topic Starter
otoed1
So far, the arguments I have for tablet being better are price, which is variable, weight, and absolute positioning. I feel as though weight isn't that important, although I doubt i'm high enough rank and don't play DT enough to give a proper thought about weight and only really high ranked players could discuss it well. Absolute positioning is a definite advantage, but I feel as though play time will easily overcome these issues. Price is too much of a varying factor in my opinion and frankly if I were to purchase another tablet, I would make sure its a higher priced tablet with good reviews, etc. in order to make sure it is high quality. It seems to me that mouse is only marginally worse than tabler, unless you find using it uncomfortable to play with.

Earlier someone made a point how most high ranking players use tablet. However, this does not directly mean that tablet is better than mouse in a significant way. Consider this: People who have purchased a tablet obviously have a greater drive to play the game, as they were willing to spend money on it. Saying that just because something is more popular doesn't mean its better. That would be like saying because Coca Cola is the best soda in the U.S simply because it is the most popular.
The Gambler
Mouse doesn't have absolute positioning? Ha

I gotchu covered...
balldoowell
Tablet is better in situations were you gotta go fast with slider heavy maps and mouse is better when you need to snap in jump heavy maps. Tablet also seems to have less of a learning curve since writing utensils are universal all over the world, but after a certain rank the two start feeling the same anyways so whatever
Purple
Ghetto pucks assemble!

otoed1 wrote:

So far, the arguments I have for tablet being better are price, which is variable, weight, and absolute positioning. I feel as though weight isn't that important, although I doubt i'm high enough rank and don't play DT enough to give a proper thought about weight and only really high ranked players could discuss it well. Absolute positioning is a definite advantage, but I feel as though play time will easily overcome these issues. Price is too much of a varying factor in my opinion and frankly if I were to purchase another tablet, I would make sure its a higher priced tablet with good reviews, etc. in order to make sure it is high quality. It seems to me that mouse is only marginally worse than tabler, unless you find using it uncomfortable to play with.

Earlier someone made a point how most high ranking players use tablet. However, this does not directly mean that tablet is better than mouse in a significant way. Consider this: People who have purchased a tablet obviously have a greater drive to play the game, as they were willing to spend money on it. Saying that just because something is more popular doesn't mean its better. That would be like saying because Coca Cola is the best soda in the U.S simply because it is the most popular.
It's because of absolute positioning, nothing more nothing less. It definitely makes it easier to learn to aim for the circles. What nobody can say for sure is whether or not mouse aiming at top level play is a handicap (i.e. after a decade of practice)

Everything else people claim is literally an opinion.
felicitousname
One true objective advantage for the tablet is that you'll never get mouse drift with it. With mouse, no matter how good your sensor is, you'll still need to adjust the position of your mouse after a lot of movement. Mice never have perfectly linear tracking, and for some longer songs, this has a significant effect on the player.
Deva
Mouse takes physical effort? Mouse makes your wrist sore? Just how weak you people are???????
GoldenWolf

HK_ wrote:

Mouse takes physical effort? Mouse makes your wrist sore? Just how weak you people are???????
Try playing physically intense maps before speaking up that way
Kozaktri

Incera wrote:

Because mouse is, it requires more effort than throwing a pen around on a tablet compared to bigger mouse, technically making it "easier" to get better with tablet.

And because tablet is mainstream in High Rankings.
This.
I started playing using the mouse, but I don't think I will change because I am already used to it and I think just changing to tablet will mess up what I am used to do and end up wasting money.
Endaris
Actually you have to grip a pen harder than you have to grip a mouse due to how you have to control the pen perfectly in an afloat position while you can just push the mouse around if you have a nice surface to glide on.
I mean we keep hearing of people having problems with their penhand too.
Deva

GoldenWolf wrote:

Try playing physically intense maps before speaking up that way
Thanks for advice. Will try that.
The Gambler

Endaris wrote:

Actually you have to grip a pen harder than you have to grip a mouse due to how you have to control the pen perfectly in an afloat position while you can just push the mouse around if you have a nice surface to glide on.
I mean we keep hearing of people having problems with their penhand too.
Only if you palm grip the mouse; the rest of the grips will experience a higher degree of fatigue, if not the tensing required to play with relatively high DPI.

Depends on how you grip the mouse. Some players grip mice harder than others, with a corresponding level of fatigue. It also depends on where the movements are concentrated, such as the wrist or arm.

Example: I own both G602 and G502. My hands feel more relaxed with a G602 because it is bigger, but my arm does all the movements and is somewhat more sluggish. I can fingertip/claw the G502 for better control but my hands get tired faster. I could splurge on a smaller mouse like a Zowie or a G303 for a fingertip-grip example but I spent all that money already and don't wanna spend more.

Ergonomics play a big role in the choice of mouse, more so than sensor as I figuratively say:

"What use is the biggest stick if the man himself can't swing it?"

Also tablet doesn't make you an insta-Cookiezi either. If anything, the 480 pen is much too thin for my tastes, so right now I'm searching for a 470 pen atm.
-MuhQ

felicitousname wrote:

One true objective advantage for the tablet is that you'll never get mouse drift with it. With mouse, no matter how good your sensor is, you'll still need to adjust the position of your mouse after a lot of movement. Mice never have perfectly linear tracking, and for some longer songs, this has a significant effect on the player.
This is true, its the biggest issue for me and it doesn't seem to go away (I even tried a lot different dpi's and bought better new mousepad for better tracking)

Also I feel like with low sensitivity (I'm using 800dpi) its not even possible to move as fast as with tablet..

I will continue playing with mouse and see how I feel later this year or next year (I have played for around 4 months and I am rank 62k and improving constantly)
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

I could splurge on a smaller mouse like a Zowie or a G303 for a fingertip-grip example but I spent all that money already and don't wanna spend more.
Zenny says he no longer recommends the G303 due to high density, awkward shape, and cable that isnt good unless you strip the braiding off (which turns it into the most flexible cable ever)
SushiBottle

A6E wrote:

KuranteMelodii wrote:

But still, "tablet or mouse is better" is bullshit, it comes to preference
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I play with mouse, and I only use my wrist, not my entire arm ;-;
Dpi around 2k
Yo. I hit 5k a few months ago using 1800 dpi 1.0x. I also mostly use my wrist, but I occasionally move my arm for large, quick cross screen jumps because they're easier that way. Anyway, I'm saying this mainly because you can play whatever sensitivity you want as long as your mouse pad allows your mouse to go across the entire screen. My friend is at 30k and plays even higher dpi than me. It's crazy to watch him control the mouse so precisely, and I know I'd never be able to do that. But hey, it worked for him, so find what works for you.
dung eater
1800 dpi isn't very high if you use 1080p or larger res, sure it's in the higher end of what people use but nothing silly.

Imo mouse drift is the biggest reason why tablets are better. Repositioning can be hard depending on mouse (liftoff distance, how you grip it) and it's always something extra you have to do compared to absolute positioning devices.
ZenithPhantasm

jaaakb wrote:

1800 dpi isn't very high if you use 1080p or larger res, sure it's in the higher end of what people use but nothing silly.

Imo mouse drift is the biggest reason why tablets are better. Repositioning can be hard depending on mouse (liftoff distance, how you grip it) and it's always something extra you have to do compared to absolute positioning devices.
Mice are also heavier.
The average tablet pen weighs 15g.
Average "gaming mouse" upwards of 100g
Endaris
But we know that you lift the pen and that you don't lift the mouse so you can't compare them by weight alone. You'd have to measure the force needed to move your mouse on the mousepad which might vary depending on your mouse/mousepad but it is certainly less than if you would lift the mouse.
Insyni

silmarilen wrote:

You have to move your mouse smoothly and at the right speed. Even with perfect finger control, if you move your mouse too fast or make jumpy movements you will still end up with misses/50's.

Ichi wrote:

You don´t need a tablet to play good. The key word here is TIME, you have to invest time in order to be good, and most people want immediate results which in a game like this WILL NEVER HAPPEN. The only thing tablet does is give you a faster start, so what? your limits are gonna be pushed and you will always want more: more speed, more stamina, more aim and then keep asking for more so in the end it´s the same story. It´s never gonna be enough if you don't spend the time you need to keep improving. I believe both tablet and mouse have the same potential. They do have different learning curves and times. That and preference is the only difference to me.
I've never tried a tablet, but I think it would be better. Like others said a bad tablet is better than a bad mouse while a good tablet is greater or equal to a good mouse. So what do you get when you add these together? Tablets don't like cheese.
show more