forum

Dxstory?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yakuza
So fraps etc have been useless to me and i've been recording random stuff lately and dx story has been working really well but when i try to get it to record osu it wont recognize osu or something along that line anyone know how i can fix this? thanks :) :) :) :)
Shohei Ohtani
>Not downloading OBS
Bweh
How good is OBS? I've only used Bandicam and XSplit before.
Chokladboll
obs is alright, like xsplit but with better performance, more or less
Bweh
Does it have the huge startup load that xsplit has?
Yoeri
No
Rizumu Tenshi
I'm the type to use Fraps to record when I have to, but what makes me refrain from using Fraps is compressing its recordings.
OBS is a pain in the neck with an HD4000 (no dedicated GPU i.e Radeon/GeForce).
Never tried Dxtory and never will, so good luck. (it's Dxtory btw)
Action! firetrucks up and freezes like a statue when saving.
XSplit is a bad option, I heard.
ShadowPlay is for the GeForce GTXes starting from 6xx--still beta, but will do the job in almost every game.

Forget about this wall of text, Dxtory is another story for me so good luck.

On a note, the wall of text up describes my problem (i5 3rd Gen, HD4000, 4GB), is there a way to record osu! 60FPS at these specs?
IppE

Baka Tenshi wrote:

but what makes me refrain from using Fraps is compressing its recordings.
ffmpeg -i osu! 2015-07-27 23-37-47-19.avi -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -preset veryslow -c:a libvorbis -q:a 8 osuvideo.mkv

Baka Tenshi wrote:

On a note, the wall of text up describes my problem (i5 3rd Gen, HD4000, 4GB), is there a way to record osu! 60FPS at these specs?
I'm assuming that's a laptop, in which case, not really. At least with any kind of good quality. Fraps isn't all that cpu heavy as long as the hard drive can handle the writing you could maybe pull off 720p60. Maybe.
Plane
I don't mind Dxtory.

I don't exactly like Fraps that much anymore, it's been replaced by newer and overall better software. OBS is pretty great.
IppE

Paronte wrote:

I don't exactly like Fraps that much anymore, it's been replaced by newer and overall better software. OBS is pretty great.
Fraps and OBS are made for two very different usecases.

Try recording lossless video with OBS sometime.
Mahogany
OP, is your game displaying in DirectX or OpenGL? I know a lot of recording software doesn't pick up OpenGL.

IppE wrote:

Try recording lossless video with OBS sometime.
I personally never saw the point of recording lossless video xd
IppE

Mahogany wrote:

I personally never saw the point of recording lossless video xd
Different people have different usecases. If you intend to edit the video after capturing, it's best to capture a lossless video to work with. Lossless encoders also tend to be a lot faster than lossy encoders (assuming lossy encoding is aiming at quality that doesn't look like jimmy streaming 1080p with a dial up). Some even go as far as capturing each individual frame of a source (the engine in this case) demo file into a .tga file and patching up it into a video from there.

Also the files Fraps outputs are usually easier to work with than shoddy .flv files.

Mahogany wrote:

I know a lot of recording software doesn't pick up OpenGL.
Incidentally, Fraps does capture OpenGL as well :3c
Mahogany
I guess professional video quality for professional work and I'm hardly professional

I just always hated the heavy system load fraps used and the massive filesizes and the fact that it would take forever to upload

IppE wrote:

Also the files Fraps outputs are usually easier to work with than shoddy .flv files.
Hey I just make OBS output in mp4 and it's ez
Zelda

Mahogany wrote:

I just always hated the heavy system load fraps used
You mean the HDD load, since that's the only thing Fraps really goes heavy on ?
Solution: don't record to the same HDD as you're playing video games on. 1080p60 needs about 100MB/s write speeds, which most modern HDDs or even older SSDs should be able to pull off. Granted you can't just use any old ass HDD for it, I have to run my old Spinpoints in RAID0 to get there, but still.

Fraps CPU load is almost nothing, unlike OBS.
Mahogany
All I know is that fraps makes my computer completely unusable but I'm still able to actually do stuff if I'm using OBS.

I only have one HDD, and it's a fairly old one. That's probably my problem.