forum

Anyone actually fond of School Days?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AwesomeZero_old
To be frank, I did enjoy School Days, and especially Makoto, who, in my opinion, is actually NOT the main character of the show adaptation. Whether it be his personality in the visual novel or the show (I do not mention the manga because they were pretty straight-forward), I want anyone to leave their opinion as to why they hate or like Makoto to better understand the community and each of their opinions. Yes, I know it is considered an old show, but with the upcoming release of a remake of the visual novel Summer Days I am extremely hyped. So, if you are inclined to do so, leave a reply as to what you think, whether it be negative or positive. After getting some responses (hopefully), I'll start rambling as to why I believe Makoto is actually someone people should feel a tad sorry for. Please note that I will try to make an effort to answer individual replies to be more specific as to why this is my opinion. Hope to hear out the community :)
Kozaktri
Too effed up for me, both vn and anime
Green Platinum
I'm interested in who you think the protagonist is instead of Makoto?

I personally don't think anyone deserves to be stabbed for two-timing, Makoto is essentially a harem protagonist who acts on his sex drive increasingly readily across the series. Let's be honest though he is still an asshole especially for just watching Kotonoha get raped by his best friend in the game. By the time the red flags are obvious for Sekai and Kotonoha he is already in too deep. Everyone is nuts except Otome. Honestly though if Makoto was committed to a discussion rather than avoiding the problem nothing would have come of him. (I blame Sekai for the lemonade scene in the game though).

I don't think the series is very good but I give it credit for going with a bad ending which is seldom/never done outside of hentai.
joi-
I actually enjoyed it a lot, even though that may have something to do with my... preferences.
Green Platinum

AwesomeZero wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

I'm interested in who you think the protagonist is instead of Makoto?

I personally don't think anyone deserves to be stabbed for two-timing, Makoto is essentially a harem protagonist who acts on his sex drive increasingly readily across the series. Let's be honest though he is still an asshole especially for just watching Kotonoha get raped by his best friend in the game. By the time the red flags are obvious for Sekai and Kotonoha he is already in too deep. Everyone is nuts except Otome. Honestly though if Makoto was committed to a discussion rather than avoiding the problem nothing would have come of him. (I blame Sekai for the lemonade scene in the game though).

I don't think the series is very good but I give it credit for going with a bad ending which is seldom/never done outside of hentai.
In my personal opinion, the show is about faith and both the corruption and power of it. The name Makoto means 'sincerity' or 'faith' while Kotonoha means 'word' and Sekai means 'the world', which are important to the story. Makoto is actually a type of plot device for the actual protagonist and antagonist, Kotonoha and Sekai respectively. 'Word' would give 'faith' meaning, as seen toward the end while 'the world' would try to take it away and keep it for themselves, no matter if it is with others. This is a symbolism of the word love being thrown around all over the place to get what is needed, but is never really meant. He realizes how far deep he went and tries to restore his meaning, but is soon killed by Sekai. The end scene of Kotonoha with his head is quite extreme, but it means that no matter what, faith and sincerity will always have meaning, corrupt or not. In the game and the show, he is seen as both indifferent and a coward or very indecisive to many because he can be easily swayed and worries about what others think of him, so he keeps quiet about many things. Yes, although it wasn't my favorite part of the VN, the rape scene is symbolic in that he is witnessing the defilement of his meaning, yet cannot fight it due to his desires. It is up to the player to choose whether he protects his true meaning, or gives in to his lust.

So, in a way, it isn't more of a bad ending as it is a type of restoration to the balance of powers, to me at least. Either way, I appreciate your time to post your opinion and hopefully I gave you another perspective on the show.
I don't see why you didn't just respond with this in the thread.

Doesn't your theory still position Makoto as the protagonist with Sekai and Kotonoha as driving forces.

Anyway your theory doesn't hold water when it comes to the ending. If Kotonoha represents the ideal while Sekai represents reality are we supposed to assume the creator wishes to communicate reality as a force that will ultimately lie and kill you? Seems awfully nihilistic. I think it is better to assume the names were perhaps chosen to communicate their role with Makoto (But then shouldn't Hikari and Setsuna have their names swapped). Issues also arise with the other game endings largely make any greater interpretation flawed.
Topic Starter
AwesomeZero_old
I don't believe that the creators meant for the show to be nihilistic. Rather, it follows old tropes that reality can bring the bad in a lot of people, but it doesn't mean that there isn't any hope. Unfortunately, Makoto's world was more relentless and greedy to take whatever it thought belonged to it. I think it was a combination of how reality can be to some people and how others respond to it. Also, I apologize for being vague earlier. Each adaptation to the series has its own meaning, but they also share some similarities. The show and the manga are a bit easier to find for me since it is not as complex as the visual novel because Makoto's actions and opinions change depending on the player but with his same characteristics, such as being cowardly and indecisive in certain situations.

Concerning the name's of Hikari and Setsuna in the show, I think that their names are in the right place. Setsuna has a 'small amount of time' to make Makoto stay with Sekai since she has to leave her home and her friend. Hikari was probably meant to be Sekai's friend who wanted her to know that she didn't really need a relationship to be happy and that she could be her own person, her guiding 'light' in a way even though her ideas were ignored.

My theory is that Makoto is the reason for conflict in the show while Sekai and Kotonoha fight for him. The three characters are meanings or objects given life with human desires and needs. It's not that he is the protagonist, rather what he means in the eyes of the two are what make him important and a reason to fight for.
Green Platinum
Your theory still places Sekai as ultimately a bad thing.

It is far too easy to place symbolism where it is certainly not intentional, Makoto could easily be fit in to symbolise corporate greed or the systemic birthrate epidemic in Japan.
[Bystander]
The only good part of school days is the ending. Like the part where you don't have to watch anymore episodes.
Navizel
School Days is my guilty pleasure

Premise is generic but I guess the anime has a lesson. It's still a train wreck though
Ceph23
It's meh.
Although I love the route they used in the anime. Dickhead got exactly what he deserved.
Green Platinum

Ceph23 wrote:

It's meh.
Although I love the route they used in the anime. Dickhead got exactly what he deserved.
ye he should have realised not to mess with Kotonoha when she started breaking into his house.
Arief Santosa
Nope nope
Dusalty
School Days was one of the first animes I watched therefor it has special place in my heart.
chaee
It's a good anime.
DIOkuya
My friend is. She even wanted to wear cosplay of one the characters for something.
I'm not though.
FlyingNeko
Watched it when I was in 4th grade. It uh.. changed something in me that I could never get back again.
[ LJ ]
worst ending , But I guess he did deserve it xD
Tsukiomi
Hello!

Please don't hate me, but given that i watched "School Days" in third grade (still young/innocent/pure), i'm not too fond of it, nor am i that much more fond of it now... It was the black blood that got to me... i find it more disturbing than if it was just red (i've seen the "censored" version).

I actually agree that Makoto isn't vert 'main character' like in the anime, but given that it's a harem it kind of seems that way. That's cool that you liked it, but it's not my cup of tea. Lol.
lowlykebab
I enjoyed it ironically you could say. Tbh it would have been shit if it weren't for that amazing ending. That made the anime good imo. Lmao. :)