forum

Putting things in perspective.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Karuta-_old_1
the majority of the users are actually multi-accounts and those that decided to quit after playing for one day, what you should compare yourself with are the active players
Talinoth

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

Well that's normal, not just for osu! but for every other game.The number of registered users is always at least 10 times (in most cases even more) than active users.Also don't forget in osu there are 4 modes, not just standard.So yea... the number is correct if you think about it.If you want to count only the active users in standard mode... I would guess somewhere around 250-300k.And most of the players in 100k+ are replacing old players that are not active anymore.Note that those numbers are just my approximate guess.
Ranks seem to decay quickly enough. And the community is getting better quite quickly as a whole too.

I took something of a hiatus, about 6 or so months where I played nearly no Osu at all except for maybe 1 game or so in between Terraria and League of Legends matches + uni work.

Before the break, I was at 100,000 something. I had nearly broken the barrier into 5 digits with only about 400 pp
After the break, I was nearly at 150,000. I now have 630 pp and I'm at 148k.

Rank decay is quite fast, or the community is improving a lot and growing in size considerably. I'm going with the second option.
I thought I wasn't improving for a while. Turns out I am improving, but the larger playerbase is also growing in skill quite quickly too.

I have no choice but to focus on my own personal improvement.
Other humans are too strong.
Topic Starter
Feylos

Karuta- wrote:

the majority of the users are actually multi-accounts and those that decided to quit after playing for one day, what you should compare yourself with are the active players
It's a shame, osu should not include players that haven't been active for a year or 2.
Spirit_Dreamer

Talinoth wrote:

Rank decay is quite fast, or the community is improving a lot and growing in size considerably. I'm going with the second option.
I thought I wasn't improving for a while. Turns out I am improving, but the larger playerbase is also growing in skill quite quickly too.

True.For the last year I had some problems with tablet area and didn't improved much.And even without actualy stoping to play droped from 19k rank to 33k rank xD.But that's a good thing the playerbase becoming larger and better.
Deva
there are about 250-300k players that actually play since i reached 200k in few days even tho i barely got any pp.
KanoSet

Talinoth wrote:

Ranks seem to decay quickly enough. And the community is getting better quite quickly as a whole too.
indeed my friend
Endaris
Most people don't even reach a playcount of 400. There's a tremendous amount of people who are just testing the game but don't really stick to it as it lacks a clear purpose(unlike rescuing peach from bowser).
Or they dont find their favorite music here cause it's J-Pop, Vocaloid and Touhou all the way through.
I think many people also come back after a longer period of time(like me) but forgot their login-data and just make a new account so you get a decent amount of accs left behind. And quit the game again. And forget their login-data again.
It took me whopping 4 starts to get into osu! and not everyone has will keep osu! on their external HDD and remember their nick/maps they played.
Personally I know 5 persons who came to osu! with me from other games and are above 300k cause they didn't find osu! interesting enough to stick with it.
Yuudachi-kun
There are more people between me and Mommy than me and Hvick.

Makes you think
Mahogany
like 90% of accounts on osu are people who booted it up, played My Love once, and called the game "fucking stupid" because they were bad and quit forever xd
Bauxe

Theultraman191 wrote:

Yeah, it may just be me, but I learn quick. My experience was by the end of day 1 or 2 I was beating normals, with C's or B's I think. So from my experience it seemed like the game was easy to learn but hard to master, as FCing is quite difficult for me. I agree with what you say, it just seems like people don't have patience for this kind of stuff. I'm just used to putting a lot of time into games (such as xenoblade chronicles and dark souls 2).
Don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't learnt quick. You have almost 6k plays, and still seem to be only able to play hard difficulties 'decently'.

Your skill progression is probably lower than average.

However, for a bit more relevance.

After 3 months, users are taken off the leaderboards and thus won't count against your rank. There are also a large amount of players who play very casually (a few times a month with friends on MP or whatever), so they won't really change much either.
winber1

Khelly wrote:

There are more people between me and Mommy than me and Hvick.

Makes you think
there are a lot of people between you and your mom, damn

don't you ever feel lonely and neglected
Yuudachi-kun
No because they got a divorce when I was 3.

This is mommy.
Talinoth
Holy shit @ Momiji's acc.

99% acc average... constantly resisting the urge to play faster maps whenever possible...

If I only played maps I got 99% accuracy on I'd still be playing 2 star normals on OD 5/6.
pandaBee
Mommy plays fast stuff all the time. You just haven't specced him.
Yuudachi-kun
Mommy doesn't play fast enough maps.
Mahogany

Talinoth wrote:

M8 I exist xd

Also raniemi is true acc god
E m i

Talinoth wrote:

99% acc average... constantly resisting the urge to play faster maps whenever possible...

If I only played maps I got 99% accuracy on I'd still be playing 2 star normals on OD 5/6.

t-thanks :oops:
Topic Starter
Feylos

Bauxe wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't learnt quick. You have almost 6k plays, and still seem to be only able to play hard difficulties 'decently'.

Your skill progression is probably lower than average.
Do plays count attempts at songs?
Cause I liked to try songs that were out of my league such as insanes. Besides that my little brother occasionally plays on my account, but he can only do normals.
winber1
if you've really progressed quick than you'd probably be able to do 5 star stuff well by now at least. some have become "pro" in only like 2 years, tho they still aren't on the level of other older players, but way better than my sorry ass
otoed1

Theultraman191 wrote:

Do plays count attempts at songs?
Cause I liked to try songs that were out of my league such as insanes. Besides that my little brother occasionally plays on my account, but he can only do normals.
To your first question, yes. Both fails and retries count. And secondly, your brother should get his own account, having two people share an account is a bannable offense (you didn't know so its k). You can still use the same osu client and swap between accounts. You won't lose the beatmaps you have installed etc. Then again he is a kid so maybe no one cares?
arihosu
I hate perspective.
I asked Kano on his stream when did he start playing (he was #900 at that moment, this January I think) and he said 12 months active. Right now I'm just about 12 months active, but I'm only rank #24k

I suppose my rank is not really THAT bad, but still, I'm a very competitive dude and knowing that I accomplished way less than him in the same period of time bugs me.
silmarilen
you have 10k playcount, at my peak i got that much in 2 months. 10k playcount in 12 months means you barely play the game.
arihosu
Yeah playcount is way different too
An hour a day is definitely not enough for this game
Clappy

silmarilen wrote:

you have 10k playcount, at my peak i got that much in 2 months. 10k playcount in 12 months means you barely play the game.
8-) Barely playing the game and I get to wave my above average e-penis around. 8-)

26 months ~~ 21k plays 8-) 8-)
Yuudachi-kun

arihosu wrote:

Yeah playcount is way different too
An hour a day is definitely not enough for this game
You also only have 2 million hits 12 months "active" into the game. I've been active for a bit over 7 months and I have over 6 million hits. No, an hour isn't good enough. Try three and dedicate more than half of it to actively getting better.
Topic Starter
Feylos

otoed1 wrote:

And secondly, your brother should get his own account, having two people share an account is a bannable offense (you didn't know so its k). You can still use the same osu client and swap between accounts. You won't lose the beatmaps you have installed etc. Then again he is a kid so maybe no one cares?
I thought what it meant was someone who already has an account playing on someones, such as if you know a pro as a friend and get him to boost your account by doing things out of your league?... Anyway I'll make sure he signs out when he plays, he's only 10 so I don't think he can make an account, I'm not sure. I really had no idea that this would count as an offense too. Sorry. I'm going to be gone for a week at camp, so I won't be able to reply.
Topic Starter
Feylos

otoed1 wrote:

And secondly, your brother should get his own account
He just got his, it's Rhyth8
otoed1

Theultraman191 wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

And secondly, your brother should get his own account
He just got his, it's Rhyth8
Gratz, also try not to double post <3. Instead of posting directly after yourself edit your original post and add edit stuff. EG.

EDIT: Look im an edit and stuff.
Endaris
Edits won't be shown as edits if you're the last one who posted.

/edit: ikr
otoed1

Endaris wrote:

Edits won't be shown as edits if you're the last one who posted.
Smarty pants D: :P:P:P
Ichi
I totally get your point there, and yes looking at the amount of registered users and your current ranking makes you think that you are in fact higher than ALOOT of other people without being that good. Anyway, the amount of active players is different and the amount of active (competitive) serious players is also different. But think about it this way, you still got plenty of people to pass and it´s going to take a while so why does it even matter :)
Mahogany

silmarilen wrote:

Silm come on now you know playcount is irrelevant. I have 16k plays over a year and 4k pp.

Total hits is what we use
otoed1

Mahogany wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

Silm come on now you know playcount is irrelevant. I have 16k plays over a year and 4k pp.

Total hits is what we use
Pshh naw that just means your a dirty hacker :P That was sarcasm if whoever is reading this couldn't figure that out.
Topic Starter
Feylos
ughhhhh, finally got back from marching band camp, but now my consistency is horrible, I'm kinda rusty... The ironic thing is my instructor would drill us into having good consistency, "You're not ready until you can do the performance 3 times in a row!"