forum

Challenge Mode!: A Whole New Way To Play!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Bramble
How this mode works:

In my mind, this is something that is mainly implemented in the editor to give beatmaps a whole new challenge, but also has toggle functionality like mods do (HR, FL, HD, etc.), which means that the challenges would either be enabled or disabled. What this mod does is (almost) totally up to the mapper per beatmap.

Some different challenges that could be implemented are as follows:

SPOILER
  1. Set a section where you must not miss any notes, or else you fail (similar to SD, just in a small portion of the beatmap. Or large, it's up to the mapper after all!)
  2. Alternatively to the challenge above, there could be a set number of notes you are allowed to miss/mistime before failing.
  3. Set sections to have different mods forced onto them, as well as their score boosts. This does NOT allow the difficulty decreasing mods, DT/NC, or the special mods (Autopilot, relax, etc.)
  4. In addition to the conditions above, for mania, can't force the beatmap to switch from 4k to 6k for example.

If anybody thinks of other challenges that are reasonable and good, I will happily add it to the list!

How to Implement (This is like a mapper's FAQ):

SPOILER
Q: Where would this toggle be located?
A: I think that we can all agree that this belongs in the mod selection screen.

Q: How would this be implemented in the editor?
A: Right now, I'm thinking of two possibilities. Either we implement it as another tab in the timing panel, or we make a whole new panel within the editor. If we go with the latter, it might be best to do it in timing as well, which leads me to believe that the former option is the best.

Q: How would we implement this from within the editor?
A: The best thing to do in my opinion is to have commonly used presets in a drop down box that we can select from, and then numerical inputs for challenges like the number of misses allowed and etc. Also, for the difficulty increase mods, we can have check boxes.

Q: What if we want to overlap two challenges, but have one start in the middle of another?
A: The most likely option for this would be to implement something similar to inherited timing sections in the timing panel.

Q: Do you have any ideas for what challenges should be considered unrankable?
A: Well, I don't think slapping on HR, HD, and FL all at once is a good idea. HOWEVER, considering that technically, this is in itself a mod, it could be considered between the mods for the specific situations. You can practice this kind of thing without the mod anyway right? This kind of thing should really be left to the mods, but I think that not a whole lot could be considered unrankable as long as two(?) difficulties have reasonable ones.

But Bramble, wouldn't there be scoring issues?

I thought about this last night, and realized that if there was a challenge that required you to say, not miss anything, you would get no reward in terms of your points! So, I think that for every challenge mode completed, the points you earn from that section must also be multiplied! By how much, however, is the question. One idea I've got is that the intensity of the challenge should affect your multiplier (within the challenge section). If this gets any priority, and a mod gets input, I'll edit these last three lines with how much a score should be multiplied by.

That's it for now! If I need to/should add something to this, someone let me know and I'll get on it! :D

EDIT: Added the section for scoring issues.
abraker

BrambleClaw wrote:

Set a section where you must not miss any notes, or else you fail (similar to SD, just in a small portion of the beatmap. Or large, it's up to the mapper after all!)
Alternatively to the challenge above, there could be a set number of notes you are allowed to miss/mistime before failing.
Variable HP; don't see this being a popular feature. Mappers can already choke you enough using HP during slow parts and give HP bonuses via mini-sliders.

BrambleClaw wrote:

Set sections to have different mods forced onto them, as well as their score boosts. This does NOT allow the difficulty decreasing mods, DT/NC, or the special mods (Autopilot, relax, etc.)
Definitely unranked and kinda falls under the gimmick map category.

BrambleClaw wrote:

In addition to the conditions above, for mania, can't force the beatmap to switch from 4k to 6k for example. (This might be debatable by the mania community, I will leave this one up to the mods).
NO... period.
Topic Starter
Bramble

abraker wrote:

Variable HP; don't see this being a popular feature. Mappers can already choke you enough using HP during slow parts and give HP bonuses via mini-sliders.
Variable HP? What do you mean? I mainly play taiko so I'm not too familiar with standard stuff :s
abraker
Controlling how many notes you are allowed to miss before you fail depends on HP. So what you are implying is have some sections where the amount you are allowed to miss is different, making it varied. Hence variable HP. And no, it's not part of any gameplay - yet.
Topic Starter
Bramble
Oh I see where you're coming from. No no I don't mean varying the HP at all! SD and PF don't vary the HP, correct? So the game can keep a little counter in the background, and if it reaches a certain amount, it just fails the level, HP not affected at all.

EDIT: When I say counter in the background, I do NOT mean a visible one.
abraker
So you mean hitting the note doesn't restore the HP?
Topic Starter
Bramble
No, if this goes how I envision it right now, the HP is not altered in any way. Hitting it or missing it will affect the HP in the same way that it would if it wasn't a challenge section.
abraker
So then you will have 2 ways to fail? Depleted HP and missing a certain amount of notes?
Topic Starter
Bramble
Yes, that's what I mean ^^ It's called a challenge after all, as long as you're playing well then the depleted HP is probably not a huge factor. People play with mods all the time, this shouldn't be a huge blow to them or anything like that :P
Topic Starter
Bramble
90 views, and only one person has given any sort of input? Come on guys! If you like it, tell me/support it! If it needs some improvements, or you have suggestions, comment! If there's any reason you guys think it's a bad idea, then I will try to reason with you if it seems...reasonable(?)! Regardless, I need input so I know if I should keep up with this, or if I should just abandon it! If you like it but don't say anything, nothing is going to happen!
abraker

BrambleClaw wrote:

abandon it
Normally an interesting suggestion would have stars flooding even if the mods say not to throw them in.

Does anyone want to save this thread?
Rilene

abraker wrote:

Does anyone want to save this thread?
Yes please.
Would be nice to have one, instead of plain SD which is frustrating.
D e s
It seems its quite similar to SD mod except you can miss "a bit" ? I don't see why its necessary.
Topic Starter
Bramble

D e s wrote:

It seems its quite similar to SD mod except you can miss "a bit" ? I don't see why its necessary.
That's just one aspect of it, read the whole post lol
D e s
Is this for new "MODE" or "MOD" ? confused

Set sections to have different mods forced onto them, as well as their score boosts. This does NOT allow the difficulty decreasing mods, DT/NC, or the special mods (Autopilot, relax, etc.)
if this is a mod, let say CH mod, isn't this will be nullified when ppl use HR and HD?

still you can achieve this by use HRHDSD

or myb im understand it wrong haha
Fenneca

D e s wrote:

Is this for new "MODE" or "MOD" ? confused

if this is a mod, let say CH mod, isn't this will be nullified when ppl use HR and HD?

still you can achieve this by use HRHDSD

or myb im understand it wrong haha
It's a new Mod, more or less for the purpose of adding particular elements of different mods in to specific parts of a map for an added challenge. You do raise a good point about just nullifying the challenge by putting the mod on though. Maybe some kind of score reducer should be put in for doing that depending on the challenge. Ex. FL challenge with FL Mod=1.00 Or an much more out there idea i've got is to alter the intended effect of the challenge if a player tries something like this. Ex. FL challenge becomes HR challenge, HR becomes HD, HD becomes FL. Although someone could just as easily nullify the alternative as well with these examples.