forum

[Archived] Cursor will tear when I move it fast

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sanbitchi
Problem Details:
As the title says the cursor will tear if I move them too fast. I used to have this problem in the past and after some updates it got fixed, but at that time it only happened if I used DirectX. Now the cursor will tear if I used either OpenGL or DirectX. I can use Vsync so it won't tear, but I hate Vsync and really don't want to use it for a long period of time.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)

EDIT: When I played osu! with Vsync my approach circles sometimes have shaky distortions. This won't happen if I don't use Vsync. My graphics card is a GTX 650 and my monitor is 60hz.
VeilStar
... Fullscreen without vsync is going to have tearing.
Play on windowed or borederless with aero/DWM enabled or enable Vsync if you don't want tearing.

Choose between input lag and tearing, you can't get rid of both.
Blablabla gsync blablabla freesync.
Topic Starter
sanbitchi
But this problem didn't happened before today. Yesterday and the day before that my osu! runs fine without tearing, That's what I don't understand.

Edit: I allso tried all resolutions and there is still tearing. And at some resolutions my cursor will be invisible @_@
VeilStar
You might have been playing in borderless, or you just didn't notice it back then.
Topic Starter
sanbitchi
Couldn't remember if I used borderless or fullscreen back then, but I'm 100% sure there were no tearing of cursor at that time. Even if there's tearing it wasn't as bad as now since my cursor would literally split into 2 halves.
VeilStar
Are you currently using a lower framerate limiter than before?
RvNovae
You can also try a different release stream.
Perhaps a more advanced openGL works better for you.
Topic Starter
sanbitchi
I always use unlimited framerate when playing osu! Also looks like it's fixed now when I use borderless, yesterday wasn't like this @_@. But there's still tearing if I use fullscreen, is this a bug or has it always been like this with fullscreen?
@Olivarus how do I get "a more advanced OpenGL"?
Lekamil_old
^ Just change your release stream (in the options) to cutting-edge. It uses a different renderer (OpenGL), which might make a difference.
VeilStar

sanbitchi wrote:

I always use unlimited framerate when playing osu! Also looks like it's fixed now when I use borderless, yesterday wasn't like this @_@.
You either had aero/dmw turned off (/chose a basic windows theme) or were halucinating. (No offence.)

sanbitchi wrote:

But there's still tearing if I use fullscreen, is this a bug or has it always been like this with fullscreen?
It's not a bug. Google around a little bit to understand what it is and why it happens. (Search for "screen tearing".) You either get tearing or you get additional input lag.
-Yuno Gasai-

VeilStar wrote:

Play on windowed or borederless with aero/DWM enabled or enable Vsync if you don't want tearing.

Sorry for bumping such a OLD thread I know because I want to know if other people experienced this aswell this happened to me too.

Also VeilStar I had to say there is actually a way to get both working on but it if I'm not wrong doesn't fix it.

The trick would be to use a cursortrail with a transparent cursormiddle.

With a fluo/neon a little bit transparent tail you BARELY like I haven't and I used this style for 7 months noticed the screen tearing and I was in fullscreen and I also was using CustomFrameLimiter (1500fps sometimes 2000fps) and it didn't happen untill I remove the cursortrail to test out what my cursor look like without it.

But seriously is there NO ACTUAL WAY to get both good latency response and no screen tearing?

If I'm not wrong the trail effect will make an optic effect that make you not notice the tearing or even null it.

it does affect A LITTLE BIT the latency depending on how long the trail is I recommand making a small cursor and trail and make it 2x in-game.

Also to actually make the trail half the size of the 1x version of the cursor so it look like a middle trail thing that on 2x the fade out (or semi-transparent) sides looks on the edge of each side of the cursor (for the beauty of it *-*).

But like seriously I tried to look really closely right now when I put back my trail thingy and fps all set fullscreen.

And did long movement the trail block my vision of such tearing like even if I focus on the cursor it's IMPOSSIBLE to see tearing.

Also I use same set up gtx 650 etc.
- Zuramaru -

TheSatanicAngel wrote:

VeilStar wrote:

Sorry for bumping such a OLD thread I know because I want to know if other people experienced this aswell this happened to me too.

Also VeilStar I had to say there is actually a way to get both working on but it if I'm not wrong doesn't fix it.

The trick would be to use a cursortrail with a transparent cursormiddle.

With a fluo/neon a little bit transparent tail you BARELY like I haven't and I used this style for 7 months noticed the screen tearing and I was in fullscreen and I also was using CustomFrameLimiter (1500fps sometimes 2000fps) and it didn't happen untill I remove the cursortrail to test out what my cursor look like without it.

But seriously is there NO ACTUAL WAY to get both good latency response and no screen tearing?

If I'm not wrong the trail effect will make an optic effect that make you not notice the tearing or even null it.

it does affect A LITTLE BIT the latency depending on how long the trail is I recommand making a small cursor and trail and make it 2x in-game.

Also to actually make the trail half the size of the 1x version of the cursor so it look like a middle trail thing that on 2x the fade out (or semi-transparent) sides looks on the edge of each side of the cursor (for the beauty of it *-*).

But like seriously I tried to look really closely right now when I put back my trail thingy and fps all set fullscreen.

And did long movement the trail block my vision of such tearing like even if I focus on the cursor it's IMPOSSIBLE to see tearing.

Also I use same set up gtx 650 etc.
I know you apologized for bumping this old thread, but you should still try to avoid bumping old marked threads in the future.