forum

[invalid] The implementation of multiple PPV systems

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Comet
Quite possibly the weirdest and yet the most sensible idea I've ever gotten. I believe Peppy has the Digitalocean capabilities for it and the memory capabilities as well, since he'd need a very large amount of memory to host all the beatmaps and their download links.

A small in-depth explanation of what I intend to convey, in a few bulletins:

-Some people dislike the current PP system, so this would allow for said people to switch between/to whichever system they wanted without much hassle to anyone using a selection box on-site by "x" user's profile, as well as another one in-game (would need to switch to cutting-edge for the ability to switch into PP systems that are in beta, though! Just as an instability warning to users! :3)

-Would allow for the ability to switch into new PP systems as they're being developed live through different stages (if you're still content on keeping this kind of idea at different build stages for the osu! builds, peppy, just an idea :P) which would also allow for feedback much earlier than before and at an even more useful and appropriate time!

-Would also allow for the older systems (PPV1, PPV2, etc.) to be brought back in an easy-to-manage way. Why? For nostalgia, of course! What's the point of somebody like Tom94 developing multiple pp systems between stages like in this idea if he can't tinker around and see what fits best for newer PP systems, as well as just having a buttload of fun (most importantly) and play an easy difficulty song to get 10 million pp? :lol:

So, yeah, I've conveyed the main points across, to my knowledge. What do you all think? In my opinion it could work wonders if done properly!
GhostFrog
Having people choose to be in a specific pp system defeats the purpose of having ranks in the first place. Having multiple active ones for every user is likely never going to happen and tbh is really silly.
Topic Starter
Comet

GhostFrog wrote:

Having people choose to be in a specific pp system defeats the purpose of having ranks in the first place. Having multiple active ones for every user is likely never going to happen and tbh is really silly.
Counter-Argument time.

Doing this actually doesn't defeat the purpose of having ranks in the first place whatsoever, because we actually have what I consider to be TWO ranking systems already (that already exist!): One is based on overall score, and the other is based on Performance Points, the one based on overall score can be found under the rankings tab under "score." You are able to rank up in both by playing more.

Your logic is flawed; if we have two rankings like this already then surely they must both be somewhat pointless, already, right? Nope. One is based solely on Full Combo'ing challenging things to get the most points while the other is based on playing as much as you can to get the highest score, which means that you can already be different ranks in both. This idea would satisfy a lot of people complaining about how they'd rather just go back to a different variant of the system, and even if it would be somewhat pointless for the older systems to be brought back, it would allow people to live-switch between what the current one is now (PPV3 I believe,) and the future ones to come (if there are future systems, which I'm willing to bet there will be at least a couple.)

You can never have a perfect way of measuring one's skill, but this might just bring many players one step closer because it satisifies more of them because they can finally judge one's skill on what they want to judge it on.

Spend some more time trying to come up with valid points and I might actually take you more seriously than I am now (no offence.)
PieInOblivion

GhostFrog wrote:

Agreed.

Having multiple systems run at once is like having a test at school, then some being marked on their performance, some on the pen they used, and some on how quietly they sat their. They don't play nice because they are not the same, that's what I am getting across.

If you mean to be able to switch between them? Then... WHAT? Peoples general PP would be atrociously low. However, if they just focused on one PP type, then they have nothing to compare to their friend who mained a different system. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

BUT, AN IDEA SPROUTS FROM THIS!
what if you had multiple systems at once?
One system that measures jump skill?
One for stream skill?
One for community kindness? (I don't know, its just an example)
One for Mapping skill?

And that (General) PP system?

That could work?
Topic Starter
Comet
;)

PieInOblivion wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Agreed.

Having multiple systems run at once is like having a test at school, then some being marked on their performance, some on the pen they used, and some on how quietly they sat their. They don't play nice because they are not the same, that's what I am getting across.

If you mean to be able to switch between them? Then... WHAT? Peoples general PP would be atrociously low. However, if they just focused on one PP type, then they have nothing to compare to their friend who mained a different system. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

One for stream skill?
One for Mapping skill?

And that (General) PP system?

That could work?
Measuring skills is kind of hard when working on how to actually come up with the formulas.

As a sidenote, some people want apples, and some want oranges. Coming up with something that'll cater to many, if not all people, will take a large step towards achieving a quote en quote "to be perfect" system that'll never, in fact, be perfect, but it can get very very close.

Look at it this way -- If you have two users, both are playing osu under different PP systems, and one brags to the other about how he/she is rank 2,500 in PPV3 (the current system,) and the other is merely rank 3,500 in PPV2, so therefore they're a scrub (yes it's mean, I know, but bear with it), one of three things could possibly happen, which could take the competitive factor of osu! to a whole 'nother level:

-Player 2 who is rank 3,500 could keep playing under PPV2 and get a higher rank than Player 1 who's rank 2,500 in PPV3 and gain some satisfaction from it,
-Player 2 could instead switch to PPV3 and beat Player 1's rank that way instead, or
-Player 2 could try beating Player 1 in both systems which would royally shut up Player 1

So yeah, it allows for dynamic ways to beat people as well. Just a thought. Also, I like the prospect of an overall ranking that would combine every osu! system's PP into one overall ranking (standard only), simply take all of them and add them together.

Also, I find that this idea goes hand-in-hand with another idea circulating around, which is multiple scores per beatmap, You could have a different score on each PPV system, as well as a total score across all PPV systems, which would be to simply take every score on the beatmap's difficulty (e.g., an Insane diff) that you've achieved across all the PP systems, and just add them all together. (E.G., if it was a 20M score it would be 20M + 20M + 20M = 60M points total, or 20x3 = 60 with the current amount of systems (PPV1 to PPV3). This "total points on a beatmap" could be added as a second in-game ranking bar that's labelled as "Total Points (All PPV Systems.)" This wouldn't count for anything towards the overall ranked score a player has on the current score rankings, only the current most-up-to-date PP system (at the minute PPV3) would.

Addendum: Rankings for player kindness is a little too broad but rankings for mapping skill could be an extension for kudosu, or a different type of item entirely that would be gained from said mapping skill. There could even be the possibility of mapping levels, for each map completed and put into ranked status you could get more map XP to fill up a level bar for fun, maybe even for other things too. I'll stop at that though, I'd probably start ranting if I didn't.
PieInOblivion

Cometblazer wrote:

simply take all of them and add them together.
uummm... NO. that would lead to MASSIVE farming and an unfair ranking environment because one PP system would be easier than the others and so people would just farm that "4 DAYS" and the charts would be 100% WRONG,

PieInOblivion wrote:

One for stream skill?
One for Mapping skill?
I should never had said this, it was a bad mistake...

There is a reason we have only 1PP system and that is because it makes sense. Having multiple (As stated before) is not a good idea, it just creates confusion and extra work that is not needed in anyway.

Eg:

Cometblazer wrote:

simply take every score on the beatmap's difficulty (e.g., an Insane diff) that you've achieved across all the PP systems, and just add them all together. (E.G., if it was a 20M score it would be 20M + 20M + 20M + 20M = 80M points total, or 20x4 = 80.
Ok, you end up with 80. Then you do a map that is exactly twice as hard, so you would get 160 points then... Which would be the same ratio if you had 1 system, meaning the others serve no purpose.

The whole reason why there is only one ranking system is so people are ranked evenly.
GhostFrog

Cometblazer wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Counter-Argument time.

Doing this actually doesn't defeat the purpose of having ranks in the first place whatsoever, because we actually have what I consider to be TWO ranking systems already (that already exist!): One is based on overall score, and the other is based on Performance Points, the one based on overall score can be found under the rankings tab under "score." You are able to rank up in both by playing more.

Your logic is flawed; if we have two rankings like this already then surely they must both be somewhat pointless, already, right? Nope. One is based solely on Full Combo'ing challenging things to get the most points while the other is based on playing as much as you can to get the highest score, which means that you can already be different ranks in both. This idea would satisfy a lot of people complaining about how they'd rather just go back to a different variant of the system, and even if it would be somewhat pointless for the older systems to be brought back, it would allow people to live-switch between what the current one is now (PPV3 I believe,) and the future ones to come (if there are future systems, which I'm willing to bet there will be at least a couple.)

You can never have a perfect way of measuring one's skill, but this might just bring many players one step closer because it satisifies more of them because they can finally judge one's skill on what they want to judge it on.

Spend some more time trying to come up with valid points and I might actually take you more seriously than I am now (no offence.)
Yeah, sorry, offense taken at last line when it comes after something so stupid. Ranked score is not a system for measuring skill. No one thinks it is. No one pretends it is. Except you, I guess. Having two simultaneous systems actually meant to rank people on overall skill is admitting that neither one is real, in which case why bother at all? Having people choose their own ranking system prevents meaningful comparisons and then we have no ranking system.

So in short: no, very no, very very very no
PieInOblivion

GhostFrog wrote:

Having people choose their own ranking system prevents meaningful comparisons and then we have no ranking system.

So in short: no, very no, very very very no
I'm with GhostFrog On this (Not because he is a frog, I like frogs) but because it makes no sense so have multiple systems of scoring. (As explained many times above)
Bara-
Yes please
Then I can be #3-4k in mania again :)
PieInOblivion

baraatje123 wrote:

Yes please
Then I can be #3-4k in mania again
I must be retarded, I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not....
Bara-
Nope
With PPV1 I was ranked incredibly high in mania
With PPV2 it's 12K IIRC >_<
Probably same with CtB
PieInOblivion

baraatje123 wrote:

With PPV1 I was ranked incredibly high in mania
With PPV2 it's 12K IIRC >_<
Probably same with CtB
So with each big PP update you go down further, huh. Ok, so we know 2 people actually want this...
I'm sticking with my initial thoughts... There is a reason we have 1... Plus, this would require massive re-integration and re-invention of the old systems and a lot of work.
Oinari-sama
I feel that this is not the best way to use the dev team's time. If you want an alternative to current ranking system, go ahead and make your own (like Tom did years ago).
Topic Starter
Comet
I would if I knew how to code my own applications :c plus, this would work so well with so many things! There are so many things in osu!next that would literally go hand-in-hand with this and before this is moved as an invalid post I REALLY at least want to get more opinions on it so i can form a collective opinion out of all of them, so can there be some more waiting time :o
Oinari-sama
Stars cannot be "refunded" so marking this now. If a dev feel like taking this up please move back.
jesse1412

Cometblazer wrote:

I would if I knew how to code my own applications :c plus, this would work so well with so many things! There are so many things in osu!next that would literally go hand-in-hand with this and before this is moved as an invalid post I REALLY at least want to get more opinions on it so i can form a collective opinion out of all of them, so can there be some more waiting time :o
What do you disagree with about the current pp exactly? It's meant to be an objective system and it's the closest to objective that we've ever had. PM me what you think is wrong and I'll try to figure out why it's either not wrong or I'll post for you where your ideas would be heard.