forum

Do you think that every people have their limits ?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuudachi-kun

[ Kakuja ] wrote:

Everybody is different.
Some people improves faster, and some people improves slow and steady.

Enjoy the game, play for funz and the result you want will come sooner or later.
You have to actively focus on wanting to get better, not just playing whatever the fuck you feel like. Whether or not you find that fun is a different story.
Yolshka
how can you play JUST above 70%

if i have under 90% acc i usually just fail and die horribly.

you find challange in a beatmap if you cannot perform as expected.
Retrying to FC can be really frustrating though. there was a map i missed 1 slider on purpose just to resist the urge to retry haha.

but that can be fun for some people and overcoming a challenge is satisfying.

i think people are too harsh on themselves and 5 months ago i thought i'd never improve i sometimes i still do , but im too curious, i wanna know what my actual limits are. If i take a look at my rank i think "thats it ? come the F on".

i think that osu is really similar to some bullet helm games (not in actual gameplay ofc) or old NES games in that
you have to accept constant failure ike you you are only going to be able to beat the boss (or FC a map) if you just keep going.
Yabuki Nako
Actually, playing the game, practice, trying hard is... Hard. This is the most difficult part of the game. Be self-confident, surpass yourself, be mentally strong is a big (really big) deal. Your mental and your capacity to put more effort into the game will determine 80% of your skill and your level.

I saw a lot of times people saying " you are better than me because you played more " or shit like that, this is irrevelant and too easy, only to comfort and convince themselves that they could be better if they wanted. But hey, no, that not work like that, playing and training is hard and requiert a lot of determination.

Personnally I can't go as far as a top player do, and most people can't either.

We can read " asians 2stronk4me " everywhere... But that not about genetical shit or something, it's all about their culture, they put much effort and work in what they do, basically.
Endaris
AR11 is a limit.
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

AR11 is a limit.
winber1

Endaris wrote:

AR11 is a limit.
wtf no

you obviously have not reached god level where not even game mechanics can stop you
I Give Up
Push limit further each day. Every note you hit makes you stronger.
Talinoth
Ugh, stagnating, or going forwards even slightly would be preferable to what's happening at the moment.

Right now, my skills are actually degenerating.

About a year ago, I was about to achieve rank 100k (still really underwhelming), and then I hit a wall. I couldn't advance in rank at all. In fact, no matter how much I played, I kept losing ranks, and slid backwards. Now I'm nearly at 150k.

All of the sections in my graph where the line is *almost* even are where I've been constantly repeating a map over and over again to memorise a retardedly slow Normal map or something and farm it for pp, and even that wasn't enough.

My reflexes just get slower every year, and I can't beat my own personal records anymore. This map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/135401 (Rurutia - Shin'Ai) is one where I played a number of alright runs and eventually scored a 491x/900x combo on the Insane difficulty, probably my best score ever on any map, but now I can't even come close to a 200x combo - most times I don't even complete the map without failing anymore.

And that's just sad.

--- --- ---

My only real goal is to just be able to play 90% of the maps that get released - you know the ones where the mapper decides "Fk it I'm only going to release an awesome but seriously brutal Insane/Extra difficulty for this really good song (that nobody else will ever try to make a map for ever again)".
Like this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/381798 (Nhato - Miss You)

Super super super cool map, but getting past the unpredictable opening sequence into the part where the chorus opens up is completely beyond me. I die in about 30-40 seconds every time.

Repeat same story 100x. I'm dumb and have slow reflexes, both problems are getting worse and they're not going away any time soon.

PS : I keep hearing this advice of "50 plays in one day or die trying". That's ridiculous, my hand seizes up after 25-30, effects progressively worse the longer the map.

PPS: On an earlier topic, AR-11 is literally impossible for some (not most, but some) players to play, including myself. When I do "simple choice" baseline reaction speed tests (click as soon as the screen changes), my results are about 50-60ms slower than average.

I used the map editor to make an Easy map into an AR-11 version, and I couldn't hit the circles 50% of the time unless arrows were pointing to exactly where the circle would appear, despite the map being very painfully slow.
Endaris
Stop thinking in ranks.
Also Talinoth you aren't even playing the game.
Skill in osu! builds up over time and practice yet you want to play all the stuff that is beyond the basic level you haven't even begun to master.
Of course it doesn't work.
And your skill can't degenerate when it wasn't ever there. You could never play 5 star maps and you still can't.
"50 plays in one day or die trying"
Play the correct maps pls. Sightreading is the most important thing for someone below 1k pp.
Yabuki Nako

Talinoth wrote:

About a year ago, I was about to achieve rank 100k (still really underwhelming), and then I hit a wall. I couldn't advance in rank at all. In fact, no matter how much I played, I kept losing ranks, and slid backwards. Now I'm nearly at 150k.
Dude, you have 4k plays... Basically, you never played the game (and you care about rank and PP already).

osu! is the type of game that you have to play the game for being good, there no alternative.
And you have to play A LOT for being strong, the level gap in this game is big, REALLY BIG.

Stop watching Shigetora's and WWW's streams, stop looking at the ranking and your PP, just stop having expectations.
You need to play the game before thinking about that.

This is actually a DIFFICULT GAME.

Let's take LoL for the example (because everyone play it). So, basically, in LoL, you can learn how to play the game by watching streams, guides sites, etc... Without playing the game a lot, because the game is all about knowledges, knowing what each champions do, itemisation, mechanics, whatever. The game do not requiert a toons of practice and do not requiert a lot of skills, even a 8 years old kids can cast a spell. (+ the teamplay, this is an another thing.)

osu! is the complete opposite. You can't learn to play the game without actually playing it. The only advices that someone can give is " are you using a good skin ? Try this one. ", " focus on your weaknesses. ", " play maps that are challenging but not too hard ", " practice. " ... And that all. There no mechanics, no knowledges, I mean, the game is just about clicking fucking circles. There no 10000 different ways to do it. Just put your cursor on it and tap your key in the right moment, that all. You have to find yourself the best way to do it.

You can't learn how to drive a bike without actually trying to drive a bike.

PS :Easy -> 1 day / Normal -> 1 week / Hard -> 1 month / Insane -> 1 year

NEVER GIVE UP.
Talinoth

Endaris wrote:

Stop thinking in ranks.
Also Talinoth you aren't even playing the game.
Skill in osu! builds up over time and practice yet you want to play all the stuff that is beyond the basic level you haven't even begun to master.
Of course it doesn't work.
And your skill can't degenerate when it wasn't ever there. You could never play 5 star maps and you still can't.
"50 plays in one day or die trying"
Play the correct maps pls. Sightreading is the most important thing for someone below 1k pp.
Never said I was *skilled* (where did you get that one from?) I was saying that what skill I did have (read: very little) became even more scarce. I mean, to someone like you it's obviously meaningless because the difference is invisible when you're *that* much better than me, but it still meant something to me.

"Not playing the game"? I'm not an addict, that's for sure, but I am playing the game - as much as I can without burning myself out mentally or getting injured. It's been 2 years, you'd expect *some* improvement. I'm not exactly looking for much, I have really low expectations and yet I still fail to meet them.

And besides, you yourself barely have 2x the number of plays I have (!!!), and your stats blow mine out of the water (4x the pp, despite diminishing returns the more time you practice something). It's absolutely no comparison. At this point no practice I put in would ever get me even remotely close to what you can do.

"Time and practice". You've put in twice the practice for sure, (10k plays to my 4.6k) but you've achieved more than I likely ever would given even ten times that many plays.
Jesus christ man.

As for sight-reading, that's not where the problem lies anyway. Don't know how that would help, I just hate anything above 130bpm forever and ever.
chainpullz

Talinoth wrote:

Never said I was *skilled* (where did you get that one from?) I was saying that what skill I did have (read: very little) became even more scarce. I mean, to someone like you it's obviously meaningless because the difference is invisible when you're *that* much better than me, but it still meant something to me.

"Not playing the game"? I'm not an addict, that's for sure, but I am playing the game - as much as I can without burning myself out mentally or getting injured. It's been 2 years, you'd expect *some* improvement. I'm not exactly looking for much, I have really low expectations and yet I still fail to meet them.

And besides, you yourself barely have 2x the number of plays I have (!!!), and your stats blow mine out of the water (4x the pp, despite diminishing returns the more time you practice something). It's absolutely no comparison. At this point no practice I put in would ever get me even remotely close to what you can do.

"Time and practice". You've put in twice the practice for sure, (10k plays to my 4.6k) but you've achieved more than I likely ever would given even ten times that many plays.
Jesus christ man.

As for sight-reading, that's not where the problem lies anyway. Don't know how that would help, I just hate anything above 130bpm forever and ever.
I barely play this game and in the same time have racked up 8x your hitcount and playcount. So yeah, you don't even play this game.
Talinoth
Maybe you're spending much more time playing this than you think you do?

Your definition of "barely play" might be slightly skewed. How do you even fight through the strain injuries?
Yabuki Nako
Strain injuries with Normals/Hards maps ? Maybe osu! is not the right game for you but that ok (no offense here).
Talinoth
Well no I wouldn't get strain injuries by playing normals, ever, or most Hards.

Some Hards are different animals entirely though...
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/250577 - (Wotamin - Gigantic O.T.N) "Hard"
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/332904 - (Giga-P - Okachama Sensou) "Hard"
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/525866 - (P*Light - NINJA) "Reiji's Strong Hard"

I love this one too, and I actually got a barely ok score on it, but god I don't like playing it two times or more in a row
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/589971 - (Yuyoyuppe - AiAe) "Hyper"

Hurts more if they go over two minutes in length.

EDIT - Also including for more "Owwww" factor;

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/384521 - (BiBi - Cutie Panther) "Fycho's Hard"
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/168080 - (Hatsune Miku - Tenshinranman High Collar Hime) "Hard"

They all have one thing in common. They're hilarious, fun, and completely out to get me.

I mean, it's not like I'm playing Airman, but oww.
Not including Insanes because they're obviously designed to hurt people, it's not like an unintended side effect or anything lol.
Yabuki Nako
You have to know that the maps difficulty is exponential in this game.

All of these maps are 4 stars or close. Do you have the level for doing a 4 stars map ?

A 4 stars maps is not twice difficult than a 2 stars map, it's MUCH MORE difficult.
More the rating is high, more the rating will increase, even the decimal will make a significant difference at some point.

You better looking at the rating instead of the name of the difficulty !
Talinoth

Mayu Watanabe wrote:

You have to know that the maps difficulty is exponential in this game.

All of these maps are 4 stars or close. Do you have the level for doing a 4 stars map ?

A 4 stars maps is not twice difficult than a 2 stars map, it's MUCH MORE difficult.
More the rating is high, more the rating will increase, even the decimal will make a significant difference at some point.

You better looking at the rating instead of the name of the difficulty !
Ehhh I can pass them easily without killing myself trying, but there's a big difference between passing and getting good acc (90% or above) or a combo above 100 on them a lot of the time. I have scores on every single hard in that list (except for the O.T.N one, but that's actually an Insane. What kind of sadistic freak calls a beatmap that's actually an Insane just a mere "Hard"? Lol.)

The biggest thing is playing any of those maps several times in a play session. That's like, the reason why I can't really be addicted to Osu and play it all day, instead of just sampling it for an hour at most each day.

--- --- ---

If we're actually serious about discussing "what limits do people have when playing Osu", endurance is probably the biggest thing by far. Well, no, raw reaction time and kinaesthetic intelligence (how quickly you learn to perform physical maneuvers) are probably most important, but endurance is up there.

It controls how often and long you can train, how long you can maintain a combo without getting a sore hand (and then making a stupid mistake and dropping it - EVERY TIME), and how long you can play a marathon map before deciding "fk it, I'm going to play a Vladimir game in League and forget about my trashy APM forever".

God I'd have a blast on 5 star maps... if they were only 30 seconds long. Unfortunately they tend to be the length of the entire song (who'd have guessed, right?) and you know, everything implodes and all hope and life in the universe is snuffed out forever.
Endaris
You're not practicing effectively then.
You're dying/retrying maps too much.
Also it is not about passing a map. If you're passing a map with 80% acc you're only passing due to low drain.
osu!(assuming it's a rhythm game) is about passing a map reasonably well up to fullcombo'ing a map. If you're playing at the edge of your comfortzone you will get a lot of 1-miss-plays which is fine.
I can assure you that my basic hand-eye-coordination is bad.
Yabuki Nako

Talinoth wrote:

Ehhh I can pass them easily without killing myself trying, but there's a big difference between passing and getting good acc (90% or above) or a combo above 100 on them a lot of the time.
Exactly.

For me, you have the level to play a map when you can get an A with 90%~94% on it.

These maps are the best to improve, try to FC with 98%~ accuracy and you will get better. Playing and fail on hard stuff is pointless, you never learn from your fail in this game. The very best is that map, that fucking single sliders break or that one miss that kill your perfomance. Instead of crying on it, just try to fix the choke, you will improve a lot by trying (and then the PP rain gonna give you more motivation).

I personnally never played hard stuff (I'm not a masochist, I'm bad at games and I don't have a competitive mindset), but I don't think my progress was slow or fast, average at best. I started to play with No Fail two weeks ago, but that because I'm training HR and the drain is retarded.
Talinoth

Endaris wrote:

You're not practicing effectively then.
You're dying/retrying maps too much.
Also it is not about passing a map. If you're passing a map with 80% acc you're only passing due to low drain.
osu!(assuming it's a rhythm game) is about passing a map reasonably well up to fullcombo'ing a map. If you're playing at the edge of your comfortzone you will get a lot of 1-miss-plays which is fine.
I can assure you that my basic hand-eye-coordination is bad.
*Sigh* you deliver bad news in a logical way that I can't argue.

Dude I totally get everything you're saying, it makes perfect sense too. I just hate going slow. I despise going slow (read: playing slow maps) so much. Like, if I can see where my own mouse cursor is going instead of wildly darting all over the screen as soon as I see a circle vaguely appear on the monitor I just feel like a big fat snail and that everyone should make how fun of how slow I am.

After all, I always thought Osu was just about the "GOTTA GO FAST!", you know? Ditching the whole "rhythm" bit (pffft,"accuracy"), and just see how fast you can go without your arms, hands and fingers catching on fire.

Then again, I'm clearly not getting anything from the system with a diet of 85% acc scores on 4 star maps, so maybe I should just shut up and listen to your advice.

---

Going back to "1 miss plays" would mean I'd have to go all the way back to 3 star maps again. I can already feel how slow it's going to be. *Tap... Tap... Tap tap tap.... tap.... tap... tap...*

Then again, it's been weeks since I've gotten an S on anything, may as well give it a go.
Yabuki Nako
Definitely, yes.
Talinoth
Off-topic: Does anyone else remember this?

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/555797 - (UNDEAD CORPORATION - Everything will freeze) "Time Freeze"
Who cares if Doomsday's score is only #23? I still think he/she is a gigantic badass compared to everybody else in that leaderboard. Even if they don't have the best base score.

Sort of what inspired me to ditch accuracy for raw speed actually.
Sophia
osu! is a rhythm game.

If you want to play something that only requires speed and some aim, try whack-a-mole instead.
Deva

Talinoth wrote:

Off-topic: Does anyone else remember this?

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/555797 - (UNDEAD CORPORATION - Everything will freeze) "Time Freeze"
Who cares if Doomsday's score is only #23? I still think he/she is a gigantic badass compared to everybody else in that leaderboard. Even if they don't have the best base score.

Sort of what inspired me to ditch accuracy for raw speed actually.
The thing is that he had low accuracy because that map is truly hard and not because he "ditched accuracy".
Talinoth
Well of course. I'm not ditching accuracy either by simply deciding "It's ok to miss notes", I'm ditching it by playing maps that are (relatively speaking, for me anyway) possibly a bit too speedy.
Yolshka
I just hate going slow. I just feel like a big fat snail and that everyone should make how fun of how slow I am.

Well i hate going fast. i am proud of being a big fat snail that people laugh at.
i cant see the circles and above ar 8 i throw up.

and the sound when you miss makes me want to bully someone
Endaris
If you want to flail your cursor around, play Relax(possibly with HR or DT).
I'm aware that playing maps you can't play properly can be very fun and I'm doing it myself(not that often anymore cause there are also enough fun maps at my current skilllevel).
Just ignore what others' might say about you playing easy-looking diffs. I know that Hard-Diffs look very simple when watching someone playing them but everyone who's past that level will know that they aren't as easy.

Also people like Doomsday can only submit such scores cause they spent a lot of time refining their technique, training their speed etc. If you watched a replay you'll see that he is NOT ditching accuracy. In fact he's a very accurate player like everyone in top 100. It's relatively easy to get down to 94% by accumulating a few misses and a few 100-streams. Which is exactly what happened in Doomsdays Play.

The bad thing about your playstyle is that the joy has an end. You don't progress and therefore you can't even overcome the challenges you're seeing.
Challenge yourself but don't look for challenges you can't pass. I'm not trying to get a nomod-pass on any 7-star-map cause I'm aware that I don't stand a chance(Airman+EZ excluded). Maybe in a year. Right now I can't even grasp what the topplayers are playing because I never encountered something as difficulty without instantly dying(I have a 37% NF-Score on Image Material).
I'd recommend you taking Doomsday as an example and not play stuff you get below ~90% on.
dung eater
most new maps with low star rating are the easy/hard maps of a set, and yeah they are really boring

you have to dig for good low star maps, most of them are older insanes (more objects/min is the best indicator of complexity atm, before you actually try the map - more objects, more chances they are placed in a fun way)

they might have the same amount of aim/speed required, but they are much harder to read and tap (stuff pretty much not taken into account by star system)
ZenithPhantasm
Play more to get close to your limit
pandaBee

Sophia wrote:

osu! is a rhythm game.

If you want to play something that only requires speed and some aim, try whack-a-mole instead.
Osu is a whack-a-mole simulator with weeb background music.
Yuudachi-kun
Osu is a point and click game.
E m i
he can always go acc+speed xd
ZenithPhantasm

pandaBee wrote:

Osu is a whack-a-mole simulator with weeb background music.
I whack moles :D
Yuudachi-kun