forum

Graphics Improvement Request

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan
Okay Hye Everyone,

I have been exploring osu on several computers from very high end computers to like 7 year old computers.

The Newest computers such as my one has no problem handling all the graphics and giving me a frame rate of around 600 FPS in game and game menu about 1300FPS, but when coming on to onboard graphics such as the Intel GMA 3100. the computers so have problem running the game even at low the resolution. I mostly play at 2K (1440 X 900) and 1366 X 768. So im suggesting that there should be more options in the graphics menu to reduce the graphics quality.

I also checked many sites for the minimum pc specifications needed and they suggest a Pentium 4 with 512 MB Ram, this in fact is not enough to even start this game
Tom94
Have you already tried the cutting edge release stream? You can set it in the options. We recently did many improvements to performance-related things there. If you find issues feel free to report them here: t/259747/start=1185
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan
The cutting edge release is very unstable, it crashes initially
Tom94
Could you please provide further information about your crash in https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/259747/start=1185 ? Such information would be what exactly happened before the crash and whether it happens every time you open osu!. Also please show us how the crash looks like. If there exists a file named gl_info.txt inside your osu! folder, please also post its contents.

We need to sort this out before we push cutting edge things to stable so that you can keep playing.
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan
Okay Sure I'll do that

Tom94 wrote:

Could you please provide further information about your crash in t/259747/start=1185 ? Such information would be what exactly happened before the crash and whether it happens every time you open osu!. Also please show us how the crash looks like. If there exists a file named gl_info.txt inside your osu! folder, please also post its contents.

We need to sort this out before we push cutting edge things to stable so that you can keep playing.
Oh and about that since i went into the cutting edge it kept crashing my computer so i un installed and re-installed the stable version, so at the moment i do not have the gl_info.txt
Flanster
Please edit your post, rather than doing another one.
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan

LoliFlan wrote:

Please edit your post, rather than doing another one.
okay :D
-Maus-
Nobody uses 512 MB RAM computers anymore, are you serious
abraker
The game needs at least 500mb ram ready for use to run w/o lag due to virtual memory swapping. That means a 512mb ram stick isn't going to cut it considering other applications might take up some 300mb of ram on those old computers to start with, leaving you with some measly 200mb remaining.
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan

Transformau5 wrote:

Nobody uses 512 MB RAM computers anymore, are you serious
To be honest no one does but my conlcusion is that it required a good more than 3GB Of Ram to run the game pretty smoothly and also an external graphics card is required to get the best out of the game too. What i meant to say is that the game is some what poorly optimized for old computers which are running with 2GB of DDR2 Ram and and Intel Dual Core Processor with less than 2GHz
Karuta-_old_1
Intel Dual Core Processor with less than 2GHz
that was like 10 years ago, even touhou games are not optimized for that anymore

And the minimum spec that you were seeing was probably for osu! before it is revamped and upgraded
2009 version that uses .net framework 2.0 (C++ 2005?)

the osu! you start up today requires at least .net framework 3.5 (C++ 2009?) to run and .net framework 4 for optimal performance (probably cutting-edge)

I use a windows XP desktop with 4GB RAM and Nvidia 9800GT Green Edtion 512MB and I can run osu! with everything enabled
(I use a Q6600 Processor though) (well the startup and shut down looks horrid though)
And I can barely even hit 1gb ram (actually windows xp sucks at ram optimization)
But the usage never went past 1.2gb ram on my windows 7 running an i5-430M (with GMA4500 Intel HD graphics)

And also for integrated graphics part of your ram is shared so not all the 2gb ram is utilised
and there is someone using an 11 inch laptop to rekt the hell out of me so I think it is old hardware issue
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan

Karuta- wrote:

Intel Dual Core Processor with less than 2GHz
that was like 10 years ago, even touhou games are not optimized for that anymore

And the minimum spec that you were seeing was probably for osu! before it is revamped and upgraded
2009 version that uses .net framework 2.0 (C++ 2005?)

the osu! you start up today requires at least .net framework 3.5 (C++ 2009?) to run and .net framework 4 for optimal performance (probably cutting-edge)

I use a windows XP desktop with 4GB RAM and Nvidia 9800GT Green Edtion 512MB and I can run osu! with everything enabled
(I use a Q6600 Processor though) (well the startup and shut down looks horrid though)
And I can barely even hit 1gb ram (actually windows xp sucks at ram optimization)
But the usage never went past 1.2gb ram on my windows 7 running an i5-430M (with GMA4500 Intel HD graphics)

And also for integrated graphics part of your ram is shared so not all the 2gb ram is utilised
and there is someone using an 11 inch laptop to rekt the hell out of me so I think it is old hardware issue
Yeah that is totally true just have a look at my PCs specs it is a beast on osu and can easily hit past 1600 FPS, but when comparing old pcs they can even handle the graphics it lags on the start menu and its a real pain when im playing in game and it starts lagging even on the lowest resolution the i5 series is quite powerful and has multiple core utilization with hyperthreading enabled and visualization but we are talking about really old pcs without these awseome features. Currently im on holdiay and im using a 7 year old laptop and that thing lags like hell when playing osu!
-Maus-
Reading your posts made me think that my PC was a beast once upon a time
It's a 2005's PC
1GB RAM, integrated intel graphics (128 MB), 2.8 GHz processor
Steady 120 FPS, carried me on o!m for the entire time, just get rid of your trash PCs or stuff
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan

Transformau5 wrote:

Reading your posts made me think that my PC was a beast once upon a time
It's a 2005's PC
1GB RAM, integrated intel graphics (128 MB), 2.8 GHz processor
Steady 120 FPS, carried me on o!m for the entire time, just get rid of your trash PCs or stuff
What about the people who have old computers and cannot afford new ones ?
Karuta-_old_1

Ruby Rose 5 wrote:

It is not wrong to keep them, in fact by not buying new computer you save the earth from more trash

but please don't expect people to make applications that are optimized on those machine since usually only 10-5% of the people will be running it
you don't expect updates to cater for a 10 year old video card and stuff

However, you can optimize your computer to work smoother
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
By the way, in case if it helped you, you might want to help him get out of debt

And also if it applies to you, set the latency timer in BIOS to 64 or 128, it is not much but it helps
http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx ... &bogno=138

I also recommend freewares like CCleaner and Defraggler to keep your computer nice and clean, just avoid Iobit products for their reputation

On Osu's side, you can try to use or make a custom skin that is easier to render
To be honest, the current spinner is a heavy burden for low spec computers
Topic Starter
Vanilla-Chan

Karuta- wrote:

Ruby Rose 5 wrote:

It is not wrong to keep them, in fact by not buying new computer you save the earth from more trash

but please don't expect people to make applications that are optimized on those machine since usually only 10-5% of the people will be running it
you don't expect updates to cater for a 10 year old video card and stuff

However, you can optimize your computer to work smoother
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
By the way, in case if it helped you, you might want to help him get out of debt

And also if it applies to you, set the latency timer in BIOS to 64 or 128, it is not much but it helps
http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx ... &bogno=138

I also recommend freewares like CCleaner and Defraggler to keep your computer nice and clean, just avoid Iobit products for their reputation

On Osu's side, you can try to use or make a custom skin that is easier to render
To be honest, the current spinner is a heavy burden for low spec computers
True what you mean, optimization i have done as far as i can and thanks for those sites too, sadly at the moment i do not have enough money to help him but ill try in the future, ill try changing the latency of the BIOS but im not sure how far that will increase the performance
-Maus-
A hammer to the hard drive should improve it
OsuMe65

Ruby Rose 5 wrote:

To be honest no one does but my conlcusion is that it required a good more than 3GB Of Ram to run the game pretty smoothly and also an external graphics card is required to get the best out of the game too.

I'm using around less than 1 GB for oss to run with decent framerates.
HANDICAP: no Graphics Card.