forum

osu! Idol [CONTEST OVER - WINNER ANNOUNCED!]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Haneii

Agent Spin Here wrote:

I thought this was a singing contest not a composing contest... How are we supposed to be creative, just bastardise the song?
You might have a valid point here. Plus what if the judges don't know the original song. They wouldn't really know if you we're being creative or not at a certain point. Can someone come up with a strong argument for why creativity should be a judging category? (If not I'll remove it)

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Timing also is impossible when audacity decides to fuck up your timing even when you sing in time to the instrumental.

Ekaru wrote:

Timing is one of the biggest parts of singing, it's like half of what creates the melody (the rest being the singer's voice singing to the correct pitch). Without correct the melody can be horrendous. If you can tell that their timing is off then they should be deducted points for that.

And I don't mean 'you can tell if you slow it down' off or '1/100 of a second' off, I mean if you can tell with the naked ear at 100% speed that they're off with virtually no doubt for a significant portion of the song without comparing to the original version of the song. That's a pretty big margin for error if you think about it.
Jarby
I think it would be best to not judge like that at all. Each judge should arrange their votes on their entries from best to worst.
Topic Starter
Haneii

JarJarJacob wrote:

I think it would be best to not judge like that at all. Each judge should arrange their votes on their entries from best to worst.
There are 20+ contestants for the first round. Don't you think it'll be a little difficult for them to list/arrange entries from best to worst?
Azure_Kite
I'm easy. Put me straight into #20.
Cuddlebun
uhhh creativity doesn't really seem a category that should be really considered, I agree with ASH
Sleep Powder
Creativity could also mean...

1 ) Changing the notes in the song to fit your voice.
2 ) This could also mean changing the lyrics a little
3 ) Any vocal additions can also be added to improve ( sometimes ruin ) the song

You don't have to absolutely change the song but just sing it in a way that only your voice can achieve.

A.K.A Singing Style
Cuddlebun
the first two aren't being creative, that's just making sure you don't ruin the song. A lot of the time your voice will naturally do that (or try to fall in the range you need to sing). The third's just whatevvv
Jarby

Haneii wrote:

There are 20+ contestants for the first round. Don't you think it'll be a little difficult for them to list/arrange entries from best to worst?
No, I think it's better to do it like that. Giving someone a 7 out of 10 would mean something different to every judge, in a way, you know what I mean? Just seems more reliable to do it like this so votes are all weighted the same.
Powerdrone
For the first round the judges could collectively choose the top 16 (or whatever number) together like they actually do on American Idol?
Sleep Powder

Todesengal wrote:

the first two aren't being creative, that's just making sure you don't ruin the song. A lot of the time your voice will naturally do that (or try to fall in the range you need to sing). The third's just whatevvv
So you're saying without it it would ruin the song?

Second statement...understandable.

Who knows what people could come up with for that...this is osu! idol not some Karaoke Revolution game where you just try to sing at the right pitch and timing.

Also judge scores...

Added or Averaged?
Kiddo-Kun
Why don't we do it like American idol >.<
Topic Starter
Haneii

animask wrote:

Creativity could also mean...

1 ) Changing the notes in the song to fit your voice.
2 ) This could also mean changing the lyrics a little
3 ) Any vocal additions can also be added to improve ( sometimes ruin ) the song
You don't have to absolutely change the song but just sing it in a way that only your voice can achieve.
A.K.A Singing Style

Haneii wrote:

Plus what if the judges don't know the original song. They wouldn't really know if you we're being creative or not

JarJarJacob wrote:

No, I think it's better to do it like that. Giving someone a 7 out of 10 would mean something different to every judge, in a way, you know what I mean? Just seems more reliable to do it like this so votes are all weighted the same.

Death_the_kid wrote:

Why don't we do it like American idol >.<
I guess I understand JarJarJacob.
Like American idol? Like this:

Powerdrone311 wrote:

For the first round the judges could collectively choose the top 16 (or whatever number) together

This sounds okay to me but I do have a question/problem with it. Wouldn’t the judges (going with this example) each have a different top 16? Unless all four of you can promise to meet up,discuss and collectively choose a top 16, I don’t see this working out too well. If you guys can meet up, then I’m all for this idea. It’s quick and simple.

>.< Less than two weeks to get this judging system perfected >.<
EEeee

rust45 wrote:

I might as well try this.

If I don't cough up an entry (which is what my singing will sound like) just disqualify me.
^ sign me up
Danneh
@ That judge top 16 thingy...
What if the judges make their own top 16, wouldnt it be a possibility to use something like a "race" system or whatever its called.
#1 gets 10 points
#2 gets 8 points
#3 gets 9 points etc...

Then the contestents get an amount of points that may differ for each judge. You could simply count all the points the judges have given.
(Sorry if it wasnt too clear xD)
Azure_Kite
If you liked

Azure's singing, SMS to 191 44 AZURE

If you liked

JarJarJacob's singing, SMS 191 44 JARJA
Jarby
Jarja? I'm not getting involved with this!
Larto
Fucking strager
Powerdrone

Danny9513 wrote:

What if the judges make their own top 16, wouldnt it be a possibility to use something like a "race" system or whatever its called.
#1 gets 10 points
#2 gets 8 points
#3 gets 9 points etc...

Then the contestents get an amount of points that may differ for each judge. You could simply count all the points the judges have given.

Oooh! Like Mario Kart! I like it! *SHOT*
Ekaru
I dislike my microphone. It is a piece of crap. Therefore I withdraw.
Topic Starter
Haneii

Danny9513 wrote:

#1 gets 10 points
#2 gets 8 points
#3 gets 9 points etc...

Danny, can you ( or anyone else ) further explain this. I'm not too sure I get it yet.

Ekaru wrote:

I dislike my microphone. It is a piece of crap. Therefore I withdraw.
Okay. *removes Ekaru from list of contestants* ;_;
KoromoAmae

Haneii wrote:

Danny, can you ( or anyone else ) further explain this. I'm not too sure I get it yet.

Alright, here's theoretical judge #1's theoretical list:

1st (10 points): Contestant 1
2nd (9 points): Contestant 2
3rd (8 points): Contestand 3

judge #2's list:

1st: Contestant 1
2nd: Contestant 3
3rd: Contestant 2

judge #3's list:

1st: Contestant 1
2nd: Contestant 3
3rd: Contestant 2

Add up the points from each judge to get the results, which are:

Contestant 1: 30 points
Contestant 2: 25 points
Contestant 3: 26 points

The points would count down all the way to 0 on each list, not stop at 8 though.

I'm not necessarily endorsing this idea, just explaining it. Whatever scoring system happens is fine.
Topic Starter
Haneii
Thanks KoromoAmae ^_^. Seems like a good plan.

Here's what we have so far:

Judges choose their top (for instance) 15. And from their lists we add up all the scores and take the top 15.

Is this okay with everyone?
loser101_old

Haneii wrote:

Judges choose their top (for instance) 15. And from their lists we add up all the scores and take the top 15.

yes
but will i be able to do the multiplayer?
Kitsunemimi

Poll wrote:

Poll runs till -691405 seconds ago
Topic Starter
Haneii

Poll wrote:

Poll runs till -691405 seconds ago
XD, noticed that right away when I first made the poll, I though I made a mistake and redid it but nothing changed :? ...according to poll-chan it should have ended about 700000 seconds ago :P
Kitsunemimi
Perhaps you just made it a million years into the future and that screwed it? Whenever positive numbers get too big, they become negative.
Mashley
Sounds like a good idea, Haneii
nadihko-chan
This sounds like a great idea. I would love to join in, if i had a good microphone.
Sorry i guess i'll stick to voting. ;-;
Powerdrone

Haneii wrote:

I think that's the best plan so far. ^_^
Gens

Harris73 wrote:

Perhaps you just made it a million years into the future and that screwed it? Whenever positive numbers get too big, they become negative.
Notice the "ago" bit. The new forum timestamp is what it's screwing it...
Lemon Water_old
I wish I was a judge, but it's too late. =[
Danneh

Haneii wrote:

And yet again, my super macho brain managed to find a solution!
*claps*
Topic Starter
Haneii
Indeed. Thanks Danny - and everyone who helped by suggesting ideas for/ pointing out flaws that should be fixed in the judging system.
Sleep Powder
btw I don't really agree with elimination.

If someone fails the first round they don't get to participate anymore and that wouldn't be very fun.
If everyone accumulates a score they could get a ranking at the end instead.
Topic Starter
Haneii

animask wrote:

btw I don't really agree with elimination.

If someone fails the first round they don't get to participate anymore and that wouldn't be very fun.
If everyone accumulates a score they could get a ranking at the end instead.
Personally I'm quite comfortable with elimination and I guess I just don't want to change anything. Although If more people feel the same way I guess I'll consider it. But, like I said, I'm tired of changing things at the moment.
Cuddlebun
fuuuuuck remember how I said I was going to do almost all of my recordings on friday since I wouldn't have a lot of time to after school starts? Well I unexpectedly had to do stuff on friday (mainly the yard) and I didn't get it done, and over the next three or four weeks I'm either too busy or I don't have the house to myself to get anything done. Not to mention my roommate will be taking far less hours than me and so will probably be in the dorm when I am.

tl;dr scheduling issues, I have to drop out.
Hamuko
I WANNA JOIN
ROIARAROUAOR
Put me in, please.
*presses F2 and sings a random song*
Topic Starter
Haneii
I screwed up ;_;

IF YOU'RE THE PERSON WHO ASKED ME TO SIGN YOU UP FOR THE COMPETITION IN IRC TODAY AND YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE REPLY ON THIS THREAD OR SEND ME A FORUM PM . RIGHT AFTER I HAD STOPPED TALKING TO YOU OSU CRASHED AND I NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO TAKE DOWN YOUR NAME. I AM SOO SORRY. PLEASE IF YOU SEE THIS RESPOND TO ME ASAP!
Xgor
Okey, sent in mine.
Will be interesting to see the others sing later.
Hamuko
sent mine
orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz orz
i sing so bad
orz
show more