forum

Summer 2015 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
show more
Faust
Gatchaman CROWDS Insight

Cool addition to the existing team. Doesn't have a pair of breasts as large as Hajime but still a cutie.

Pretty stunning OP sequence. Their Prime Minister is an idiot. Will see where this goes.
blissfulyoshi
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: A lot of dirty jokes, that I didn't always understand and not much else. Plotline felt painful to watch, so I probably can't recommend this to anyone.
Green Platinum

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: A lot of dirty jokes, that I didn't always understand and not much else. Plotline felt painful to watch, so I probably can't recommend this to anyone.
The series is obviously supposed to be an illuminating insight into hyper liberal social justice ideals, focussing heavily on sex negativity. I wonder if there will be episodes on patriarchy, white guilt and the cis-gendered. /s
EneT
Rokka No Yuusha:
The animation looked really great in the first episode but I can't really say much about the plot. Hopefully the plot holds up as it progresses otherwise I'll just stick around for the animation.

Charlotte:
No idea how this anime will progress but so far I'm liking the main character. Never really have high expectations for A-1 pictures and I see this anime just being something to watch when you want to pass the time.
Lanturn
Classroom: I really don't know what to say. It has that generic emotionless girl that I could care less about. I"m still just trying to figure out what this show is. Overall Blue/Red, but I'll leave blue for now.

Wakaba*Girl: If you enjoy cute things a lot I guess you'll like it? I found this pretty boring though. Thankfully it was only 10 mins.... minus 1:30 for the pointlessly long opening.

Dragon Ball Chou: This is exactly what I wanted. A nice laid back episode with some pretty funny moments, and each character keeps their own unique charm. To be honset, there's no better way to start this series with a nice re-introduction (or rather, just showing off the wonderful personalities) of the characters. It definitely feels like this will be a complete arc if it starts off with a few filler/comedy episodes before going into the action. Even if I'm bias towards this series, I still think this episode did everything it was supposed to, staying true to the dragon ball formula.

Charlotte: Definitely interested in this. Great first episode!

Ushio to Tora: Pretty cool. It definitely catches the 90s style in all aspects. Great first episode to start it off as well, definitely want to continue this.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen: wtf?

Rokka no Yuusha: Strong first episode, all of the characters feel very powerful. I like it. The first battle was very well executed. Looking forward to see how this story plays. Opening/Ending felt very natural as well.

Wakako-zake: Those eyes.

well uh. Definitely found some nice shows so far. Now to wait for the last few to come out tomorrow and the next few days.

small edit:

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: I really don't know what to say to this. I'll probably try one or two more episodes anyways.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Charlotte: I'll keep watching.

Rokka no Yuusha: Solid characters, fights, and design. The story didn't seem to start establishing much till the end but this definitely has a chance.

Dragon Ball Chou: Oh no it's DB.
xxdeathx
Student Council President is my Wife - wtf lol

Gate - quite a fun, interesting first episode and choice of main character. seems like it'll be different now that they've gone into the gate but I have high hopes for this one.

Charlotte - main character seems like a somewhat more selfish (not necessarily a bad thing) Lelouch

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - was not what I was expecting. another one of those "game" animes.

Rokka no Yuusha - this one is really fun. I really like the setting and story so far. Main character is a little conceited but he gets along well with the princess/maid (not hard to tell it was her).

Game of Laplace - nope, another trap character and one that's a little too excited about being a suspect of a murder. i'd like to know who killed the teacher for real but not feeling like sitting through kobayashi being retarded.

Gangsta - I really disliked pretty much everything about this show. Right from the start it is entirely about gangs, murder, prostitution, and corruption with no shortage of gruesome execution scenes and nothing to enjoy. Call me shallow or close-minded, but to me, as a medium anime only works well with the common "standard" content such as action/adventure, comedy, moe, drama, romance, and outside of these kinds of things it's much harder to not be terrible. The weird/edgy shows like this, Ping Pong, Zankyou no Terror are always a gamble, but I think the latter two weren't as bad as this.

A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist - Mildly interesting but not laugh out loud. I feel I must be getting too old for these jokes to be funny.
Rio-
Okusama ga Seitokaichō! - idk what to say about this one, but somehow it reminded me of KissxSis but only with short-episodes imo (and yes, I haven't read the manga yet). I'll give this red for now, because first-episode doesn't really impress me at all...

Gangsta. - First Episode is great and I enjoyed most of the points here (settings, Arts, soundtracks, etc). Also it kinda reminds me of Jormungand, which is one of my favourite Gangster/Criminal Anime.

Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakeri - I think I need more Episodes to think if this series is good or not (just like a typical first episode that happens in most of Apocalypse-theme series, about the humanity crisis and all that). But I think this series will become a promising series to watch later.

Rokka no Yuusha - This series looks promising for me, I hope my impression stays at it is for the next episodes too. also I like the both OP/ED and the Soundtracks too.

Classroom Crisis - I had no idea what really happens in the first episode at all. Either red or blue, but I'll leave this red for now because i don't really found anything special in the first episode (seems generic to me).
[ yogurt ]

xxdeathx wrote:

Gate - quite a fun, interesting first episode and choice of main character. seems like it'll be different now that they've gone into the gate but I have high hopes for this one.
I pray they won't censor it to ground like they did with first episode.
Green Platinum
Welp looks like I won't be seeing anything for a few days. I can barely get above 30kb/s on my net.
Phos24
Ushio to Tora: Pretty nice throwback to the 90's battle shounens, the artwork and animation filled me with nostalgia and it seems like it'll be an interesting ride.

Gangsta: Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but the deaf MC alone is enough to make this worth watching for me at least. Pretty nice OP and ED to boot.

Gate: One of the more interesting concepts of the season. The MC is nice since we finally get an otaku whose character is completely blown out of proportion just for the sake of being an otaku. Also, Dragons vs. Helicopters? Count me in!

Shimoneta: Not sure how to feel about this one. The pervy-ness might be a little too much for me but I laughed at least.

Game of Laplace: That MC can't possibly be a boy, I tell you. Seriously though, I'm not that big of a fan of the art direction but I'm a sucker for murder mystery stuff so if they can pull it of well I'll probably have a way better opinion on this one. Also, that ED is probably one of my favorites of all time already.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu First a trap, now a reverse trap. Great. At least this one left me with a better impression right off the bat. If they are smart about when to follow the made-up serious action of the battles and the rest of the comedy, I'll probably love this one.

Charlotte: I'd heard a lot of hype going on about this one in particular, but if I had to describe my first impression in one word, it would be "bland". I hope this will get better so it can at least live up to its hype but as I was watching it I almost fell asleep. It's by no means bad, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it doesn't do anything special, for now.

Rokka no Yuusha: Loved the first fight, if they can keep introducing more strategic battles instead of "let's overpower them with brute force and the power of magic and friends" this is going to be a good one. But I swear, if I hear anything about being the strongest man in the world even one more time I'm going to punch someone.

Durarara!!x2 Ten: Does this one even count? Anyway, it's Durarara. I expected greatness and that's what I saw.

Classroom Crisis: I was too confused for most of the episode since apparently they didn't even bother trying to explain whatever the hell was going on, but the setting is pretty unique and I liked the soundtrack and visuals, so I'll give it a chance.

That's it for now, I think.
Navizel
Shimoneta - What the f***. Trying too hard with the *** jokes. The Manzai banter (tsukkomi-boke) is lame. I don't even know why the color is blue. Don't ask me. Though I commend Blue Snow for teaching Japan the process of ****** intercourse. Who knows? Maybe she is the one who will solve Japan's declining birth rate.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - even more lame. As if Laplace isn't enough.

Little Witch Academia 2 - AOTS
blissfulyoshi
Rokka no Yuusha: Following the cocky but powerful protag formula that has gotten popular as of late, this show had fairly solid animation (esp during fights) and some fun characters.

Ushio to Tora: I really hate the 90s art. The cliche storyline is not really helping anything (not that I care much about plot when watching anime), but I can't deny that it was done in an okay fashion (nowhere as good as Rokka no Yuusha but it was passable)

Non Non Biyori Repeat:
Very low tension and relaxing, but the few jokes that were thrown in were great. I'm a little worried because of how much of a slideshow this ep was and the lack of nyanpasu, but I have hope.

Durarara!!x2 Ten: Just another contuation of last season, but the op looks lower budget than before, so I'm afraid they are just trying to hurry this along. Like before, there is also nothing original being tried technique wise, so it might get boring fast.

Chaos Dragon: Ignoring the frame skipping first 30s, it was a passably animated with a lot of stills but the use of color was great. Storyline could be well better..., but seeing the fights in the episode 2 preview, I think the fights are what I'll look forward to. (I have a heavy Silver Link bias)
Green Platinum

Welcome to fucking Australia
$140 AUD for this
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Non Non Biyori Repeat: It was relaxing and just fun to watch. Calm and smooth, but some of the moments felt out of place.

Chaos Dragon: What was with the lag at the beginning? The story doesn't seem to be established yet with it. The colours are very bright and bold, which helped with keeping my attention on it. All the blood and fire gives me hopes this will turn out alright.
Lanturn
Chaos Dragon: Eh... was decent I guess but not really anything special. It also feels like the characters should be about 2-3 years older. I want to give it a few more episodes because it still looks promising, but I'm really not that impressed with the first episode.

To Love-Ru: Censoring is as strong as ever in this. Anyways.. basically the same ol stuff.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: I guess if you want a romance anime, then this one will be it? So the first episode was pretty well done. The introduction and personalities of each character is simply amazing. Great Voice Acting, and a great setting. I'm not sure how this will turn out in the long run, but they did a good job with the first episode.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Too many characters! Interesting at least anyways.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa: I really don't care for the art. There are better shows out this season, so I don't really care for it.

I think that's every non-sequel minus monster musume now? (and god eater ff) (and overlord... and yeah.. I guess there is a lot more)
blissfulyoshi
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: For a romance series to be animated this well was really surprising. Add on some interesting characters/philosphy and we have a farily wide appealing show. I am not sure how long a romance series will work for me, but will watch for now.

Joukamachi no Dandelion:
It has Ogura Yui singing in both OP and ED, automatic watch xD. Humor was a bit stupid, but overall the episode was decently animated and I enjoy seeing characters with super powers (even though none of them are really unique).

I was watching Little Witch Acadaemia, but I could not get through the ep without wanting to fall asleep. I'll hopefully finish somday soon, and write a fairly predictable review (but who knows, I might be surprised)
Green Platinum
Chaos Dragon: Nothing convincing

Akagami no Shirayuki: Has potential reminds me of Spice and Wolf although that might just be due to the apples.

Jitsu wa watashi wa: Probably won't stand out at all among other similar shows

Little witch Academia: The first episode is just too long, I hope that isn't the case for the rest.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Series seems fun. Hopefully it's more than just penalty games. Sadly having so many character's means few will be developed on at all.
Faust
Lol, apples.

Working!!!

Lots of things going on for a 1st episode. Pretty decent, but nothing especially interesting.
Almost every character made an appearance.

I enjoyed the previous 2 seasons, and hopefully new twists are introduced for this one.
Expecting good things for now.
EneT
Jitsu wa Watashi wa:
Seems like it will just be another average-tier harem anime.

Joukamachi no Dandelion:
I feel like my interest for this anime will fall really fast and I'd just end up dropping it sooner or later.

Non Non Biyori Repeat:
It retains the same vibe as the first season did; senseless yet peaceful fun and comedy that always seems to remind me of my childhood. This series never fails to put me into a happy mood.
[ yogurt ]
Chaos Dragon - It's shit. SHIT. I found the first episode extremely boring.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - I know it's a harem, but I can't resist a supernatural harem.

Joukamachi no Dandelion- #voteAkane.

Ushio to Tora - Yesss.

Overlord - I normally don't watch MMO anime, but this is awesome. Episode ended and I wanted more immidiately. It's just below, or even on par with Symphogear for me.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: Normally I do not like romance series, but the animation is very nice and the characters seem promising so far. I'll give it a couple episodes to see if I'll keep watching it.

To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd: Gotta have those titties :U But censoring is always too stronk.
EneT
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou:
Weird shit for people with weird monster girl fetishes. I'm not one of those people but I seem to like this anime for whatever reason. I'll stick around and see how it goes.

Ushio to Tora:
Wasn't really thinking at ever giving this a glance at first but after I found out that they went for an old-school art style with the animation, I decided to give it a try. Seems alright so far; it's left a great first impression considering I didn't expect much and the animation gives a nostalgic feeling.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime:
I'm feeling good about this one; this may be the anime to watch for me.
Navizel
Chaos Dragon - Horrid CG and animation quality especially on the eye department. Quality drops even lower when there's fire involved. Action scenes are subpar. The cheap drama takes the icing on a bad cake.

Durarara!!x2 Ten - Same verdict with Working!!! Same-old, same-old... for the most part. The quality is getting lower and stale. Staying for Durarara. Good thing

Non Non Biyori Repeat - isn't following Durarara to the road of staleness. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It still gives you the calming atmosphere just like the previous season. Too bad Hotaru didn't get much screen time.

Charlotte - Not sure what to feel about this one. I'm going to have to watch a few more. At least it's not Glasslip.

GATE - Average. Same verdict with Charlotte.

Bikini Warriors - Short fanservice anime in the RPG world. Just watch SAO if you want a bit of that "good" story. Nothing special here. Move along.

Akagami no Shirayuki - A romance series that is off to a great start already. It has a great animation that fits the theme/atmosphere of the story. The story is great so far as well as the characters. One of the best shows this season and probably the best romance.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - I didn't know being a vampire makes you speak in Kansai dialect. Anyway, this is a mediocre romcom about a beta male and an extraordinary female. A small problem turned into a big problem by making a cheap and silly drama. Nice. I almost fell asleep.
Green Platinum
Bikini Warriors: Completely and utterly groundbreaking, stop the season because with this airing every other series might as well be red. As soon as this season finishes I'll probably quit anime since nothing else will live up to this expectation. I gave this gold since it is completely transcendent of green.

Monster Musume: How I expected it to be. Is this series' appeal even that widespread?

Non Non Biyori Repeat: I feel this series will end up in the same way as Kin-iro Mosiac did last season.

Durarara: Personally I think this has more potential than Non Non Biyori to be enjoyable again. The end of the first half was pretty good hopefully it isn't so late this time. The character intros in the opening theme are especially lazy since we are all ripping on that.
Phos24
Finally went and watched some more.

Little Witch Academia 2: Was a good movie. Didn't quite live up to expectations since it couldn't capture the magic of the first one and the new characters felt kinda shallow, but I still enjoyed it.

Jistu wa Watashi wa: Meh.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: I wasn't drawn in by this one at all. I can tell its not a bad show, but romance with this kind of setting isn't really my thing. I'll give it another go but personally I don't expect to like this one that much.

Sore ga Seiyuu!: Funny. Maybe not funny enough. They had Goku's VA in there, which was honestly the highlight of the show so far, which makes things look grim, but this could still get better since this was mostly introductory. Also they sang A Cruel Angel's Thesis at some point of the ED. How cool is that?

Overlord: The MC is a sp00ky scary mr skeltal. The low framerate I saw when watching this got nothing on that.The plot is another one of those "MC gets stuck in a Virtual Reality MMORPG world with no way out" that has been popularized recently, but thank mr skeltal because this guy seems to know what he's doing, for once. I'm not sure where this is heading, but if I get to make more skeleton jokes I'm watching this.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Another funny. This one might have been funny enough though. The plot and setting is a pretty unique combination and the cast seems mostly likeable so far, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Still not sold on it.

The first handful of shows I watched seemed much more promising tbh.
Green Platinum
Overlord: At this point completely absent of direction. Given it's another one of these show I am extremely cynical. I don't know what Anonymous is talking about saying "the MC knows what he's doing for once" considering SAO and Log horizon both covered high leveled characters who had experienced the game. Doesn't do much that different or live up to the hype.
Navizel
Overlord - Oh god the CG in the beginning. Aside from that, the animation is average. Going to watch another episode. They didn't even explain fully the problem.

Rokka no Yuusha - Seems promising so far. The protagonist's arrogance is just the right amount of arrogance which made him likable. Great action scenes. I hope the story would turn into something even better than it already is.

Sore ga Seiyuu - It's a watered-down Shirobako. The protagonist is a turn off. Meh.

Joukamachi no Dandelion - Hanazawa Kana bias. It's not that bad of a show. I want to see more.
xxdeathx
To Love Ru Darkness 2nd - It's finally back after like 3 years. More of the same smut that this show's known for: completely retarded but still interesting to see where they go from here.

Castle Town Dandelion - Pretty average. The fact that a royal family with 10 superpowered kids is trying to live a normal life is interesting but the episode wasn't incredibly fun. And they censored panty shots all 3 times. The opening and ending songs have anime's most famous loli singer Yui Ogura, but I don't know if I'll be able to map them.

Monster Musume - Never heard of it before, never understood the appeal of monster girls, but it seems like a really popular series this season. Not bad, but I feel it'd be a lot better if the dude was a tentacle monster and the rest of his (eventual?) harem was humans. I jest
Rio-
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - I don't think this series will be that great in the first-place, but at least i can understand some of the dirty jokes on it (and I love Manzai-type series, so I think I'll give this blue for now).

Charlotte - Interesting First Episode (MC is being a dick in the first half of episode... But the story kinda interest me later and i want to know how it'll turn out next). Will stay tuned for next episodes.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd - Same ol' Stuff and #censoring2stronk. Graphics are a little bit off than the last season but i don't say that i don't like it. Good first episode (also OP-theme by Ray <3)

Joukamachi no Dandelion - Seems a pretty generic series here imo. Decently-animated & nice characters for the first-episode. Comedy is good at least.

Working!!! - Looks good I think. Tbh I haven't watched the first & second season of Working yet. So I think I'll watch the previous seasons first and continue with this. But yeah, it's actually a good first episode.
blissfulyoshi
Bikini Warriors: Yay! Low budget fanservice!

Million Doll: I actually found this view on idols and fans fairly nice, but the animation budget and singing leave too much to be desired to hold my attention.
xxdeathx
Jitsu wa watashi wa - Seems like a really low budget, low effort production where art style and voice acting are concerned. They don't know about "show, don't tell" when it comes to the main character's trait. Couldn't count the amount of times they explicitly said he can't lie or keep a secret. Was planning to forget about this show but the last few minutes were decent (except the incompetent main character's stuttering and reactions). See how it turns out as it goes on.
Green Platinum
Sore ga Seiyuu!: The only Seiyuu series I've enjoyed is Koe de Oshigoto and I think it will stay that way for a while yet. Nothing special here.

Million Doll: With the constant inflow of idol animes anything related to idols has big shoes to fill. Especially with Aikatsu!, Symphogear, Cinderella Girls and Miss Monochrome this season. Of course this offers a different perspective by choosing the fans to focus on, I feel it may get a bit preachy about how a fan should be.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
For those who have colours with their impressions if you have any cares then check the chart. I should have updated everyone aside from bliss :U However I feel I may have put some stuff in the wrong place.
Green Platinum

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

I should have updated everyone
I believe I gave Bikini Warriors gold :^)
EneT
Gold should count as best anime of the season, or maybe year.
Navizel
Million Doll - What's with the CGs recently? They're horrifying. Also bad songs and voices for an anime focused on idols.

Himouto! Umaru-chan - A sixteen year-old throwing a tantrum and acting like a spoiled brat are a turn off.

edit: @Kyonko, I think you missed this post. p/4316763
EneT
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan:
Generic anime about magic filled with generic voice actors, generic cliches; boring, uninteresting plot and a bland main character. I have spotted 2 characters with side pony tails though and that is enough to make me watch a bit more.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu:
I like the main character and the concept is interesting enough.
Green Platinum

EneT wrote:

Gold should count as best anime of the season, or maybe year.
Announcing that based on the first few episodes is just hasty though, that's why I don't colour anything in this thread. Bikini Warriors however...
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Navizel wrote:

Million Doll - What's with the CGs recently? They're horrifying. Also bad songs and voices for an anime focused on idols.

Himouto! Umaru-chan - A sixteen year-old throwing a tantrum and acting like a spoiled brat are a turn off.

edit: @Kyonko, I think you missed this post. p/4316763
I did miss that one ;A; And EneT's above yours. Those are all good now.

Green Platinum wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

I should have updated everyone
I believe I gave Bikini Warriors gold :^)
Nigga gold ain't a colour for this chart :U
show more